• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: 3DS on track to have first year sales > DS first year sales

Guevara

Nintendo said today that its 3DS handheld game system has sold more than 1.65 million units in the U.S., according to sales tracked by market researcher NPD.

The number puts the 3DS on track to surpass the first-year total of the Nintendo DS, which was the fastest-selling game platform before.
Of course, this is what you would expect. After, in 2011, the video game market is much bigger than it was in 2004.

The Nintendo DS sold 2.37 million units in the U.S. in its first 12 months in the U.S., with about 50 percent of those sales happening during the holidays. Nintendo hopes that big games such as Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 will enable the 3DS to keep growing.

Overall, however, the 3DS has been a disappointing launch for Nintendo. The system debuted in March, but some people complained about the quality of the glasses-free stereoscopic 3D. In August, Nintendo had to slash the price of the 3DS from $249.99 to $169.99. That helped triple sales, but it means that the system isn’t as attractive as the old DS was, given the new environment of other portable devices such as iPhones and iPads.

Nintendo said it sold more than 675,000 hardware units in October, including 250,000 3DS units, 250,000 Wii units, and 180,000 older DS units.
http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/11/nintendo-says-3ds-will-outsell-original-ds-in-its-first-year/3ds-6/

Old? Also the bundles this fall are getting crazy. Nintendo is finally getting aggressive.

Kusagari

Good, but honestly if it didn't beat the DS first year sales after the price drop that would have been embarrassing.

Shtof

Well, that's certainly good for the industry. But I think both Nintendo and Sony need to rethink their pricing strategy for their handhelds to keep up with smartphone games. Granted, smartphone games are not a real threat right now, but as they get more complex they will be.

BurntPork

Banned
Seda said:
First of all....a couple hours old.

Second, it's on pace, it hasn't been a year yet.
And considering the holiday season, it'll beat it with more than 3 months to spare. I'll likely end up ~1.5 million units ahead at the end of March.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kusagari said:
Good, but honestly if it didn't beat the DS first year sales after the price drop that would have been embarrassing.
It's kind of insane how Nintendo has turned what's usually a multi year plan of action (introduce a new color maybe twice a year, a new exclusive game-themed bundle, price cuts) into one six month oh-god-this-thing-has-to-sell course of craziness. We literally have all that right now.

Crazy stuff.

chubigans said:
It's kind of insane how Nintendo has turned what's usually a multi year plan of action (introduce a new color maybe twice a year, a new exclusive game-themed bundle, price cuts) into one six month oh-god-this-thing-has-to-sell course of craziness. We literally have all that right now.

Crazy stuff.

Nintendo paid a high price for it

Cipherr

The number puts the 3DS on track to surpass the first-year total of the Nintendo DS, which was the fastest-selling game platform before. Of course, this is what you would expect. After, in 2011, the video game market is much bigger than it was in 2004.

I love how NOW all of this growth is obvious, and so expected. I mean, noone thought anything other than this would be the case.

Seda said:
First of all....a couple hours old.

Second, it's on pace, it hasn't been a year yet.

You are right, the holidays, where the original DS recorded half of its first years sales, is where the 3DS will lose ground. Makes sense.

BurntPork

Banned
test_account said:
True, but taken inflation into account, it is probably about the same price (at least not very far from each other).
Yeah, but inflation is irrelevant. It really doesn't mean much in this case. If anything, the fact that 3DS is doing so much better in a much worse economy is extremely impressive.

test_account

XP-39C²
BurntPork said:
Yeah, but inflation is irrelevant. It really doesn't mean much in this case. If anything, the fact that 3DS is doing so much better in a much worse economy is extremely impressive.
The value between the DS and the 3DS price would probably be about the same because of inflation :) But yeah, the 3DS wasnt much cheaper than the DS anyway.

Seda

Cipherr said:
You are right, the holidays, where the original DS recorded half of its first years sales, is where the 3DS will lose ground. Makes sense.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the 3DS won't surpass the DS' first year. Re-reading my post I come across kinda snarky :/

King_Moc

Banned
I'd love the 3DS to be a huge success, but the DS was pretty much expected to fail in it's first year. The 3DS is the successor to what looks like being the largest selling console in history. You would expect better. Mind you, it's done it without any big games really, so well doen i guess. It will definately have lost some market share to the smartphone crowd, though to be honest, it's debatable how many games those people would have actually bought for the DS. To me, if they play their cards right, they can get the 3DS to PSP like sales numbers by the end of it's lifespan.

thuway

Good for Nintendo, I'm probably gonna pick one of these bad boys up after the redesign w/ the second analog nub.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
DS, except for launch and Holiday months, never did more than 200k per month in its first 20 months, so until the Lite came out.
This happened because of the strenght of GBA: USA have been its best market, after all.

So far the price cut has done a good job in what Nintendo wanted: an acceleration in the change between 3DS and DS in sales, something that, until August, was not happening at all and even in a worse way than the GBA - DS times.

Let's see if this Holiday will see the first very great signs of a mass market success.

A new Mario and Mariokart were things the DS did not have in its first year. And the Zelda port/remake/whatev is better than the Mario 64 one.

I don't know why Nintendo felt they needed to be so aggressive in the first year in terms of so many bundles and variations though. The price drop it did need.

I'm still sad I picked one up a month before they announced the price drop. And then all those stores allowing the price drop early so "late" adopters could get the ambassador status. I'm jealous I wasted so much money. Plus I bought a second one for a family member.

BurntPork

Banned
test_account said:
The value between the DS and the 3DS price would probably be about the same because of inflation :) But yeah, the 3DS wasnt much cheaper than the DS anyway.
I don't think that people take inflation into account when making purchases. They do take into account how much money they have, however, and people have less money now. Then you have to take that $80 GBA into account...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I remember the DS doing horribly out of the gate. IIRC it sold like 57K in one month just after the New Year.

It's going to get quite a few more sales thanks to this, including one from me.

caf3922216cd139b87c569e22375e03a934ecdf9.jpg__620x493_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Guevara

Fuzzy said:
I remember the DS doing horribly out of the gate. IIRC it sold like 57K in one month just after the New Year.
This too. I think a lot of people forget how "doomed" Nintendo was when the DS came out. Remember the whole "third pillar" strategy? The GBA was an absolute monster.

test_account

XP-39C²
BurntPork said:
I don't think that people take inflation into account when making purchases. They do take into account how much money they have, however, and people have less money now. Then you have to take that $80 GBA into account...
Probably not that much in this case because it have only been about 7 years. I cant say for sure how people looked at their money purchases 7 years ago compared to today. But looking purely statistical on the inflation, it is about the same :)

Yeah, if the GBA was only $80 at the time, it was probably one of the reasons why the DS sales were hold a bit back.

Big deal. The DS didn't do impressive numbers outside of Japan until the Lite hit. In the US, it's sales figures were so bad, NPD used to combine its sales with the GBA and it'd still be in last place.

Leondexter said:
Big deal. The DS didn't do impressive numbers outside of Japan until the Lite hit. In the US, it's sales figures were so bad, NPD used to combine its sales with the GBA and it'd still be in last place.

Huh?
The GBA was destroying the PS3 for months.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Coming off the heels of a really successful console before it and having a massive price drop soon after release?

I AM TOTALLY SURPRISED!

donny2112

Leondexter said:
Big deal. The DS didn't do impressive numbers outside of Japan until the Lite hit.

Exactly. PSP was almost completely caught up before the DS Lite hit, and look where it ended up for U.S. sales.

AceBandage said:
Huh?
The GBA was destroying the PS3 for months.

Months when GBA and DS were combined: Feb/Mar 2005
Months when PS3 vs. GBA GIFs were teh rage: Feb-June 2007

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The DS was expected by most to be outsold by the PSP. The 3DS is the successor to the highest selling dedicated games machine of all time.
It's not time to celebrate just yet.

Top Bottom