• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Memory Cards and Accessories Priced By Gamestop

pramath

Banned
So, remember how PS Vita retail games require a memory card to even boot up? And remember how all of these cards, along with other accessories for the system, are proprietary? And remember how everyone flipped shit at the Japan prices for these Memory Cards? Japan-Prices range from 2,200 yen (about $29 for a 4GB card) to 9,500 yen (about $125 for a 32GB card).
And remember how others were asking people to be grounded, since these were not likely to be the final prices?

Yeah well, about that...

Gamestop has revealed the prices for PS Vita accessories, including Memory Cards, and things don't look very pretty.

4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $24.99
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $39.99
16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99
PlayStation Vita AC Adaptor - $19.99
PS VITA Armor GameCase - $7.99
PS VITA ArmorShell - $12.99
PlayStation Vita Car Adaptor - $17.99
PlayStation Vita Card Case - $9.99
PlayStation Vita Carrying Case - $19.99
PlayStation Vita Cradle - $19.99
PS VITA Crystal Custom Case - $19.99
PlayStation Vita In-ear Headset - $19.99
PS VITA Nerf Armor - $17.99
PlayStation Vita Portable Charge - $49.99
PlayStation Vita Protective Film (Two Pack) - $14.99
PS VITA Pull N Go Folio - $29.99
PlayStation Vita Starter Kit - $29.99
PS Vita Starter Kit - $24.99
PS Vita Trigger Grip - $17.99
PlayStation Vita Travel Pouch - $19.99
PlayStation Vita USB Cable - $14.99

So, looks like those prices were pretty indicative of the final US pricing after all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At first my mind compared the memory card prices to the iPod Touch and I was like "Not bad!"

Then I remembered how fast my 360 hard drive fills up, and I was like "Oh shit."

onken

Fuck that is expensive, pretty major turn off for me ;/

It was inevitable though. PS3 used a bunch of open standards and all that got them was hacked and no share of the peripheral pie while MS and Nintendo raked it in.

laaame.

probably going end up buying a 4gb one and waiting for the chinese knockoffs to start rolling in.

I'll feel so damn used after buying a 4gb mem stick for 30$ though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wonder how long it will take for a bootleg SD adapter.

Sophia

Fuck that is expensive, pretty major turn off for me ;/

It was inevitable though. PS3 used a bunch of open standards and all that got them was hacked and no share of the peripheral pie while MS and Nintendo raked it in.

The overpriced memory sticks for the original PSP were what turned me off in the first place. I think that's gonna be the case here, at least until I can get the 16 or 32 gig at a reasonable price.

Jeramii

Banned
ugh. and you know in one year they'll release a 64gb+ adapter for the same price as the currently overpriced 32gb memory.

what fucking year is this that 32gb costs THAT MUCH. dammit sony and not using SD.

Cipherr

4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $29.99
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $44.99
16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99

7gp3u.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What exactly is the difference between the PS Vita Starter Kit and the Playstation Vita Starter Kit?

Those cards are expensive, more than I was expecting. If Sony was smart they would at least try to make it more appealing. Like the 8 GB card comes with a free copy of Ridge Racer and the 32 GB card comes with a free copy of Uncharted and some other digital goodies.

I guess that's too much to ask for though.

That "amazing" $250 price point sure makes a ton of sense now, doesn't it...

Will pre-order a 32GB card once it shows up on Amazon. Dammit.

BurntPork

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope. That's even more than I thought. Definitely waiting for a Vita price cut before buying now.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
That's pretty awful. They really should have scaled back the system's power to keep it cheaper and then not have to charge 30 bucks for 4 friggin' GB.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not-so-subtle commentary on where Sony is going with this kind of continued lack of a coherent business strategy.

I think this is pretty standard. This is the strategy that everyone has been using now for a while. The openness and cost structure of the PS3 (and to a lesser extent PSP) in terms of supported accessory/memory formats seems to have been considered a failure. They are moving to the more industry standard-- gouge on accessories and take the hit on the hardware.

I don't think I've paid a penny for PS3 accessories but paid the big ticket price up front. It's almost always the other way around.

And these are pretty pricey. Reminds me of the 1/2MB gamecube memory cards.

Does Vita come with any memory card out of the box? If not, I'm waiting on a price drop on the system or these damn memory cards, I guess.

That sucks.

Hopefully the prices go down through time just like the PSP Memory Stick did.

The PSP memory sticks went down in price because they were used in other devices besides the PSP and other companies made them besides Sony. What's going to drive Sony to drop prices on these cards? Good will maybe?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's funny, I was so hyped over the Vita, and ready to buy it day one, but this has turned me off so much that I'm now just waiting on a 3DS redesign.

Top Bottom