• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita 2

Susurrus

The PS Vita is the best handheld ever, it has the perfect size and fantastic screen. However story shows that Sony never understood handheld consoles : they have no clue about what a handheld is and what games should release on it. You don't buy a handheld console to play inferior versions of the same games of your home console. What's the point ? Might as well wait to get back home and have a quality experience.

Handhelds are meant for other types of games that Sony have pretty much no competence in, with a few exceptions like Locoroco or Patapon. Releasing those big-ass titles like Uncharted, Wipeout or Resistance and concluding "You don't buy our big games ? Fuck you and fuck our console" demonstrates what you can hope from Sony, and what will never come from them.

If they made a PS Vita 2, they would simply be bringing the same stuff again and it would fail miserably.

I only have confidence in Nintendo to create a decent handheld now (even though I find the overall 3DS era pretty awful), even though it will never reach the quality of the PS Vita OLED obviously, as their handhelds are aimed at a kids audience. I also hope that they will finally exit this era of bulky huge dual screen handhelds. Enough of this already.

If they could actually manage to turn the Switch into a console of the same size as the PS Vita with a good screen, I would already be pretty happy with this. Even tough the games are not really designed around the 720p screen anymore. Most of the time the assets are poorly downgraded to 720p, do not make use of the entire screen and end up very small.

Vita menu screen FF X :
2409319-7021519379-2013-.jpg

Switch menu screen FF X :
maxresdefault.jpg

Even tough the screen is bigger, in the end, the menu and text is smaller on Switch. No optimization at all for the handheld mode, because the console is also a home console at 1080p. This kind of stuff happens all the time with Switch. What a shitfest...

Thanks for posting this. I am starting a job that involves a lot of travel, and still have my Vita around. I might consider getting the Vita version if I decide to replay it soon: bonus: I still have my ps3 save on the cloud.

The way Sony is handling content when it comes to Japanese games with fanservice, I say no. It survived on them towards the end of the Vita lifecycle. They'll also rely on 3rd party publishers like they previously did.

I doubt Sony will release another dedicated handheld, nor would I want them to since it would take time and resources away from PS VR and its successor. As much as I enjoyed handheld gaming in the past, nowadays it would just be another avenue for publishers to exploit us with microtransactions and other bullshit. It would be interesting to see games like GTA V and The Last of Us running on a "PSP 2", but I don't see a future in handhelds, much like Sony didn't see one for the PS Vita when they quickly dropped first-party support.

Personally, I don't need console gaming on the go. I read comments in the past about how people didn't care for handhelds and now as I get older I find myself feeling the same way. I think Nintendo realized this too (at least in regards to western consumers) and so the Switch became really successful.

Simply put, I want Sony to continue focusing on traditional consoles and virtual reality gaming. If there should be any companion device for the PS5, I want it to be PSVR 2.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I’m always up for more handhelds. But In regards of support from first, third parties and accessories (like memory cards): I think I’d prefer theyd market it as a psp3 than a vita2

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I hardly use the Vita I have, so I don't know how interested I'd be in another one. It would depend if it's as much of a money pit as the first one and what games it has.

cireza

I am already well in my thirties, have been playing since the NES almost only on home consoles. I went to handheld gaming pretty late, with the DS.

And honestly, this has become my favorite way to play. I find it much more convenient than having to sit in front of the big TV and forcing my wife and children into whatever I want to play. Also, having to play on the TV means that I can't play that easily at times where I simply have 20 minutes available. I still enjoy some big games on my Xbox One X every once in a while of course.

When you start having a family life, handheld gaming is really convenient and PS Vita is amazing for this, especially since it handles sleep mode so well. Switch could be good but it is still too bulky for me. Form factor needs to be improved. And I am not talking about the games not being well optimized in handheld mode. This is extremely random depending on the game, really a big hassle.

I also love narrative games and visual novels, who would want to read a visual novel on a big TV honestly ? Not me that's for sure.

To me handheld consoles and home consoles are not meant to offer the same kind of experience at all, so I really hope that dedicated handheld consoles will continue to exist in the future.

Last edited:

Gamerasi

I keep using Vita, I'm excited for a possible Vita 2. Meanwhile Xcom plus is a great game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom