• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinobi |OT| GAF eating tons of crow served by ninjas exploding out of helicopters!

jby19qMAsSUDle.jpg

Shinobi 3DS came out November 15th in North America for the 3DS, and in Euroland a few days before--BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS OT IS ABOUT. This is about GAF dumping on this game from just about every possible angle ever since it was first announced. But most of the poo-poo was being shot out from two main trajectories; the graphics and the developer.

As we all know, Sega's Shinobi series was always about the graphics - on whatever system a Shinobi game appeared on, it was ALWAYS DONE THROUGH BLEEDING EDGE TECHNOLOGY - This is an irrefutable fact. We will go into detail below!

The other facet the GAF hive-mind seemed to love to sling poop onto is:

"Griptonite? Who? I never heard of them! So this game is garbage, and Sega is doomed...or even more doomed then they were yesterday."

"Griptonite? Looking at their development history, I see lots of licensed garbage that's for crying babies! BOOO-URNS!"

Yes, Griptonite has done licensed games, just like a lot of great developers have in the past. Griptonite is also responsible for some of the best licensed games for handhelds.

Spyro Eternal Night for the GBA
Spider-Man Web of Shadows for the DS
Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions for the DS
Wolverine for the DS
Captain America for the DS.
Assassin's Creed Discovery for the DS
Assasins's Creed Bloodlines for the PSP

If you like polished action games for handhelds with great combat, Griptonite is (was) very good at making them. A few months ago, Griptonite was swallowed up by a mobile company. Shinobi for the 3DS is their swan song.

And for the less than dozen people on GAF who bothered to pick it up, it's quite a song indeed! A GODDAMN GUITAR-WAILING NINJA SONG!

jbv10OU6778lsL.jpg

Shinobi will not win any handheld graphical awards based on screenshots. In fact, almost all official imagery of the game provided by Sega does a disservice to the game as a whole. This is because when the game is running at a silky frame rate, it's hard to care about ginormous polygon counts for background elements and high-res textures and lighting.

6313586462_1e02b674cf_b.jpg

But having spent all weekend with it, I think it looks really good in motion. There's subtle comic-book style cell-shading that reminds me of Ultimate Spider-Man. Which does well to match the gorgeously animated cutscenes that bookend each level. The 3D is the sugar coating on top, it makes the comic-booky look pop out even more so.

I included a few screenshots that I think show off some cool moments - but again, still imagery does this game no justice. Because NOTHING wins the justice.

shinobi-20110914092400479.jpg
shinobi-20110914092400218.jpg

shinobi-20110914092400909.jpg
j24bn2ChYChzQ.jpg

jbpYh0FOzzlBma.jpg
shinobi-20110914092359451_640w.jpg

The UI/HUD is amazing to look at, everything is sharp, easy to read, and nicely rendered. It's just oozing with style and flash. Bosses are introduced by a camera zoom and an appropriate subtitle to show them off.

6313064349_ef7f639bca.jpg

Each death is punctuated by Jiro Musashi's cutting through your top screen, and a incredibly large score read out and time played on the bottom screen constantly charts your progress to get the highest score. Everything from a visual standpoint is attractive, stylish, and does great honor to the original 16-bit games.

jbx1p3auFaSWMd.jpg

Shinobi is HARD AS FUCK. Even on easy, it's a more of a challenge than most handheld action games...but that's not to say it's on Contra 4 levels of insanity. There's four difficulties available at the start:

Beginner:
Infinite Lives, enemy damage reduced, hazard damage reduced, hurt recoil reduced, generous checkpoints and auto-saves at each map transition.
Normal:
5 Lives, infinite continues, normal enemy/hazard damage, same checkpoints as Beginner, but autosaves ONLY at the start of new levels.
Hard:
3 Lives, 3 Continues normal enemy/hazard damage, checkpoints on map transitions, but NO auto-saves.
Very Hard:
1 life, 3 continues, checkpoints on map transitions, no autosaves, added enemies/hazards not available in any other difficulty.

Parrying is the main gameplay mechanic of Shinobi, and you need to use it if you want to get anyway. You have to parry each individual strike an enemy makes, much like in Street Fighter III. Only then will you get the advantage to strike back. You can even parry machine gun fire and missiles for fuck's sake.

You have a huge arsenal of moves including kunai throws, katana combos, uppercuts, slides, ninja chains, ninja magic - TOO MUCH STUFF, EVEN.

Parrying also gives you biggest combo multiplier and point total, as your progress is constantly being watched, you get penalized for deaths, time, and even if you use ninja magic. There's 4 spells you can use at any time, but you cannot abuse it, as it will deplete from your score each time you do. You can only use these if you're absolutely stuck and low on life.

THE 2ND LEVEL STARTS AFTER YOUR NINJA JUMPS FROM AN EXPLODING HELICOPTER AND ONTO SPEEDING COMBAT JEEP THAT'S TEARING DOWN A HIGHWAY JUST AS VOLLEYS OF MISSILES COME STREAKING TOWARDS YOU.

jAhNDDYiXvhFg.jpg

I'm not done the game yet, as I'm currently stuck on level 4. Like I said, the game is very hard. You WILL swear when you loose a life.

An OT was never made for Shinobi, but I think it's one of the best revivals I've seen in a long time I only hope Sega comes to realize this, and maybe will port it to even more systems, as Griptonite deserves to see their final game in as many hands as possible.

ONE OF THE BOSSES IS A CYBORG MEGLODON SHARK!

Famassu

It's already dropped to 20£ at TheHut. Might check it out once my bank account has recovered from all the Black Friday craziness.

Game still looks like shit :/
Graphics are pretty bleh, but gameplay-wise it seems like it's a good (& challenging) game.

I mean, you do a good job trying to sell it, with OMG SUPER AWESOME CYBER SHARKS EXPLDOING OUT OF DEMON VAGINAS and other fun hyperbolic descriptions, but that art style STILL looks terrible to me.

I mean, you do a good job trying to sell it, with OMG SUPER AWESOME CYBER SHARKS EXPLDOING OUT OF DEMON VAGINAS and other fun hyperbolic descriptions, but that art style STILL looks terrible to me.

Again, artstyle looks great in motion. But like...did you ignore everything about like....the gameplay? If I had to choose between this and Ninja Gaiden DS, I'd throw NGDS at Itagaki's oatmeal face. THAT game had a crap artstyle, especially in cutscenes.

Edit: You can do a super fast dash if you use one of the ninja magic spells. I don't know if a regular dash unlocks or you have to buy it or something.

Great OP. To the point, honest and informative.

As for the game, I'd been hoping for the best in spite of the disappointing media and was glad to see so many positive impressions and reviews, OPs included. Six months ago, I would have picked this up day one. But between SM3DL and MK7, the improved lineup of upcoming eShop titles, other platforms, and limited time and money, Shinobi will have to wait, probably until a price drop. Regardless, glad it turned out so well, I'll definitely keep it on my radar.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There's no glossing over the graphics - this game is ugly, ugly, ugly. It starts off okay but the further you get the uglier it looks, and not only is it visually unappealing but it's often difficult to make out platforms or other objects, which is a complete no-no, especially for a game as unforgiving as this one. The 3D isn't particularly good, either - lots of ghosting, although I think that's more due to colour contrast than inferior tech.

Skilletor

I didn't even know this was out.

I'm interested because of Shinobi. If I can find it on the cheap, I'll definitely pick it up.

Again, artstyle looks great in motion. But like...did you ignore everything about like....the gameplay? If I had to choose between this and Ninja Gaiden DS, I'd throw NGDS at Itagaki's oatmeal face. THAT game had a crap artstyle, especially in cutscenes.

Edit: You can do a super fast dash if you use one of the ninja magic spells. I don't know if a regular dash unlocks or you have to buy it or something.

No, the gameplay looks good, very good in fact. I love the parrying and the combo counter, mixed in with your various ninja skills means this is one of those great 2d action-platformers with enough depth and challenge to it that makes it really addicting, like a good Contra or Strider 2 S-rank.

But it still LOOKS like shit.

Boney

Banned
hilarious op, i want it pretty bad, but i know it'll go bomba price in 6 months, so I'll get it then.

sega gonna cut me off my paycheck

After playing it, the actual fighting sections aren't that bad at all. The 3D is poorly optimized in my opinion, but mechanically it seems pretty sound. I actually like the defensive mechanics as well. Even has pretty decent weight to the character, and he doesn't look quite so frail like he does in some of the gameplay vids. Kinda...fun? Yeah, it is. It also doesn't look like complete horse shit while you are playing.

Except for the horse section. That is complete horse shit.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here's some stuff worth knowing that's not in the OP:

-the regular sidescrolling stuff is broken up with the occasional behind-the-shoulder segment; there's a horse-riding section, a surfing section (complete with arsetastic gyro controls) and an Afterburner-themed section on the back of a jet, among others

-there are eight extra-tough VR-style challenge rooms that are unlocked by finding the coins hidden in each level

-there are an additional thirteen challenge rooms that feature Joe Musashi as the playable character; these are unlocked via play coins or StreetPass

-there are around fifty different achievements in the game and each one corresponds to an unlockable; these include concept art, music, cutscenes etc as well as new costumes, weapons and playable characters, and cheats that you can toggle on/off during free play

-music by Norihiko Hibino (MGS, Last Story, Ninja Blade)

-you can save/record replays (I presume you can save 'em to SD and trade 'em manually but I don't really know)

I like to support handheld games that look pick-up-and-play and feature fun gameplay. Even if the graphics/budget doesn't hold up. But now I'm working on getting 100% on Mario 3D Land, and then I'm moving onto Mario Kart. Not to mention console stuff.

Third-parties had a pretty damn big window on the 3DS, and they didn't take it. Sega actually pushed this game's release until they thought more people would own a 3DS. Now I'm not going to buy it until I need a handheld game for a flight two years from now, and I pick this up for $5. Pity.

Tain

I was convinced that the game wouldn't be anything special once I had heard of the developer (and saw videos of that awful-looking Spyro game), sure, and the graphics in stills weren't inspiring, but it was videos of the game itself that finished it off. I can't risk money/time on this in the foreseeable future.

I can't believe the OP touts Griphonite as some sort of respected developer. They're mostly known for shovelware license titles/ quicky handheld versions of popular games. Given other teams have moved from shovelware to respect but this game hardly seems to be the title to do that.

I actually bought this game although I was afraid that it might turn mediocre but nostalgia had a veto. For my surprise the game was actually decent the graphics looked better than the pics. The gameplay is good but I hated that the game brings you back to square one if you lose all your lives but most classic games actually do. Never the less I haven't finished the game yet but I'm having a blast

"BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS OT IS ABOUT. This is about GAF dumping on this game from just about every possible angle ever since it was first announced. But most of the poo-poo was being shot out from two main trajectories; the graphics and the developer."

So this is not an OT and more of a "You're wrong, GAF"?

Gotcha...

With how bad it looks, it would have to move and play awesome to compensate. I don't think it can be done.

-music by Norihiko Hibino (MGS, Last Story, Ninja Blade)
He didn't work on The Last Story. As far as I know that was Nobuo Uematsu alone. Hibino did do Bayonetta, Boktai, Ace Combat Assault Horizon, Otomedius, ZOE, and a bunch of other stuff.

GhaleonQ

I wasn't against it because of graphics, but because, despite your protests, Griptonite's record is not commendable. I would totally push back on those licensed games if it weren't off-topic.

But this is on the list!

Sadly, you weren't joking about that press release. Harsh. http://www.griptonite.com/news/display_news/?page=226 Here's hoping the swan song is worthwhile, because I LOVE Shinobi.

I bought it a couple of days ago and I kind of regret it. It's not terrible, but I wonder if this plays any better than your usual licensed action platformer crap. I wouldn't know since I don't buy those games. This game just seems like wasn't planned very well at all. The 3D effect is broken about 9/10 times since your ninja is wearing a white suit and the backgrounds are so dark. You see three little ninjas running around. That might have been a cool Ninpo, but it's just crappy 3D. Also, all the 3D stages suck. Really bad. The horse stage sucks, the freeway stage sucks, and the surfing REALLY sucks.

The actual action platforming stages are alright by themselves, but I don't think that's enough for me to recommend this game to anyone but old school Shinobi fans looking for something, anything, to play on their 3DS until Mario Kart comes out after finishing SM3DL.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wasn't against it because of graphics, but because, despite your protests, Griptonite's record is not commendable. I would totally push back on those licensed games if it weren't off-topic.

They get so much praise because they're metroidvanias, basically, but they really ran that shit into the ground. They honestly are good for licensed games, but this isn't a WayForward-type scenario where they're some wunderkind studio that makes movie games to pay the bills , by any means.

He didn't work on The Last Story. As far as I know that was Nobuo Uematsu alone. Hibino did do Bayonetta, Boktai, Ace Combat Assault Horizon, Otomedius, ZOE, and a bunch of other stuff.

I looked it up - Uemastu wrote the music but the majority of it was arranged by Hibiko's studio, GEM Impact.

Foffy

Banned
I have a strange question for those who have played the game, and it's about plot, stupidly enough. I know you play as Jiro Musashi, but is this technically set before any of the other Shinobi games? I know there's a retro Joe from the original Shinobi, so I'm not so sure.

I was waiting to go through a whole marathon of the Shinobi series that I could get my hands on once this launched, so I may start that now.

Aeana

I really, really enjoyed the game. I knew I probably would since Griptonite makes really solid games, but it's really fun and has the right amount of challenge and depth. I particularly adore the parry mechanic.

I also think it looks acceptable in motion. It isn't a looker by any means, but I don't think it's hideous either.

BalrogTheMaster

Neo Member
Great game, but it's hard as balls in the second half which I didn't really like to be honest. I mean it was all cheap deaths and uninspired levels everywhere.

NEO0MJ

Since when is the game running at a silky frame rate? I thought it was only running at 30 frames per second.

Maybe, but it's stable with no slowdowns or tearing.
Overall, I was surprised by how good it was. Plus the history and trivia were good reads. I never followed the ridiculous story back when I played Revenge of the Shinobi and Shinobi 3.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Seems like a good, viable 3rd party 3DS game that people should want to check out (especially given the alternatives). Instead I find a lot of resistance and defensive attitudes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This game has Segata's seal of approval, so I'll probably get it. It's been a while since I played a good game that looks like shit.

Aeana

LOL god no. 30 fps is the bare minimum necessary for a fast paced action game like Shinobi to even function properly. Calling 30 fps "silky smooth" is like calling N64 graphics "high poly".

A smooth framerate is a smooth framerate no matter what it is. If it remains 30 with no variations, it is a smooth framerate by definition of the word "smooth." The actual framerate itself is another matter, described separately. "A smooth 30 FPS" is not an oxymoron.

Top Bottom