• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinobi |OT| GAF eating tons of crow served by ninjas exploding out of helicopters!

faridmon

I am sorry to be a spoiler sport OP, but AC on the DS and on the PSP are quite Rubbish. However, I agree with you the other games are qulity (some of them I haven't played, but heard great things about them) so If I get a 3DS, this game is gonna be on my shopping list.

A smooth framerate is a smooth framerate no matter what it is. If it remains 30 with no variations, it is a smooth framerate by definition of the word "smooth." The actual framerate itself is another matter, described separately. "A smooth 30 FPS" is not an oxymoron.

"Smooth" and "consistent" are not the same thing. Ocarina of Time's framerate never deviated from 20 on the N64, but nobody in their right mind would ever call that game "smooth".

Aeana

"Smooth" and "consistent" are not the same thing. Ocarina of Time's framerate never deviated from 20 on the N64, but nobody in their right mind would ever call that game "smooth".

Almost every definition (sans the hair one) for the word smooth applies here:

smooth [smooth]  
Origin
smooth   [smooth] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, adverb, verb, noun
adjective
free from projections or unevenness of surface; not rough: smooth wood; a smooth road.
generally flat or unruffled, as a calm sea.
free from hairs or a hairy growth: a smooth cheek.
of uniform consistency; free from lumps, as a batter, sauce, etc.
free from or proceeding without abrupt curves, bends, etc.: a smooth ride.

Nice OT.

It's a really solid game and Griptonite should be commended for it. The game has some nice precision platforming. I like how they hit you with some wall jumping sections right from the first stage. As Aeana mentioned, the parry system is wonderful. There's nothing like deflecting multiple shuriken then coming down with the force of a god on an enemy. Also, the jumping on enemies/projectiles mechanic is quite cool. Reminds me of some of the tense tate moments in the PS2 Shinobi. On a lesser note, I really love the fact that there are audio sliders and players have the ability to turn off the scoring effects.

The lack of the game running at 60 fps is sad, but it doesn't detract from the overall experience. I do miss dashing as much as I thought I would. Whether it was a mechanic like Shinobi PS2 or double tapping as in Super Shinobi 2/Shinobi 3, it was always a blast to rocket though stages for speed runs.

All in all though, it's one of my favorite 3DS games alongside Mario and Mercenaries. Bravo Griptonite, you did a fine job. Here's hoping they can tackle it again and iron out the
minor
kinks.

Almost every definition (sans the hair one) for the word smooth applies here:

Again, the "evenness" in the first definition of smooth refers to the texture of the surface, not to how consistent it is. Compare playing a game at 30 frames per second to driving on a gravel road. Even if the road doesn't have any potholes or anything, the ride is not smooth.

MEATER

I have bought a quite a few games in the last weeks but all I really play is this!

I even carry my 3DS to work each day to unlock the challenge maps!

The game is really good! I think it's almost as good for Shinobi fans as Sonic Generations was for Sonic fans!

Hope Sega keeps it up! I want more Shinobi!

I am sorry to be a spoiler sport OP, but AC on the DS and on the PSP are quite Rubbish. However, I agree with you the other games are qulity (some of them I haven't played, but heard great things about them) so If I get a 3DS, this game is gonna be on my shopping list.

AC1 on the DS is bad but that was developed by GameLoft. So...you know, that's expected.
And AC Bloodlines on the PSP is ambitious, but Griptonite did absolutely the best they could to bring the HD console experience to underpowered PSP.

But Assassin's Creed II: Discovery is a little gem.

Assassin's Creed + Ninja Gaiden + Sonic = good

GhaleonQ

Okay, this is a top-quality action game and a mediocre-to-poor action-platformer. I vastly prefer platformers as a genre and I like my action games to play that way (Strider 2, 10th favorite game ever), but I've successfully learned to play this the right way.

With that caveat, I totally recommend it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Will get this when I have reliable access to 3DS

Again, the "evenness" in the first definition of smooth refers to the texture of the surface, not to how consistent it is. Compare playing a game at 30 frames per second to driving on a gravel road. Even if the road doesn't have any potholes or anything, the ride is not smooth.

plz get out of here with semantics arguments

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Okay, this is a top-quality action game and a mediocre-to-poor action-platformer. I vastly prefer platformers as a genre and I like my action games to play that way (Strider 2, 10th favorite game ever), but I've successfully learned to play this the right way.

With that caveat, I totally recommend it.

Good enough for me. I'll pick it up.
Didn't know you had gotten a 3DS either.

GhaleonQ

Good enough for me. I'll pick it up.
Didn't know you had gotten a 3DS either.

It's my game, but I'm using a friend's because I'm still waiting to see colors/if I'll get 1 for each region/potential custom firmware. I have to decide by Luigi's Mansion 2!

Anyway, Oni's critique is harsher but sort of line with my thoughts.

They get so much praise because they're metroidvanias, basically, but they really ran that shit into the ground. They honestly are good for licensed games, but this isn't a WayForward-type scenario where they're some wunderkind studio that makes movie games to pay the bills , by any means.

Indeed.

@MUWANdo

Banned
In this game's defense, the array of combat options and the depth of the scoring system really are commendable, and the games' bosses/mini-bosses are all pretty good. Similarly, the amount of unlockable crap and fanservice is very welcome; the game is obviously a labour of love and in that regard it's very reminiscent of Contra 4.

My big problem with it (aside from the graphics/3D and the over-the-shoulder stuff) is that the level design takes a nosedive about half/two-thirds of the way through - it goes from being a cool twitchy action game to a sloppy cut/pasted masochistic platformer that does everything it possibly can to instakill you. I mean, the Mega Drive games weren't the tightest platformers around and there were some painful jumps in those games, too, but they didn't have levels that were twenty minutes long, they didn't pull cheap tricks to knock you into every single pit in the level and they weren't 2.5D games with garish colour schemes that made it occasionally difficult to judge distances or whether platforms were actually platforms. (The 3D kinda helps, but the colour contrasts in most levels means that something, somewhere, is gonna be ghosting, so I just keep it turned off).

It really does bug me, because I want so much to like this game. If it'd maintained a consistent level of quality the whole way through it would have been much easier to recommend, but that late-game stuff really irritates me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was thinking of asking someone for this for Christmas, but the OP makes it sound so enticing that I want to pick it up ASAP. Hmm...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shinobi is one of those gaming franchises that will always be dear to my heart. Sadly I haven't played a decent entry since the Genesis days.

I had an eye on this, but from what I've read, and have seen mentioned in the thread; the game starts off with a bang, but eventually nosedives. The thought of extra long levels with bland level design, and cheap deaths doesn't exactly turn me on. Neither does the thought of having to parry so much. That's not Shinobi, or at least not the Shinobi I grew up playing.

I don't want to sound completely negative as I'm thrilled Sega hasn't forgotten the franchise. The thought of a wealth of unlockables excites me as well. I'm sure I'll snag it at some point, but not at $40.

ryan13ts

I picked up this game the other day and have been playing through it constantly since I got it. This game has the definition of "Trial and error" gameplay. I die at least once or twice going throughout a level before I learn it's layout, enemy placement and environmental hazards and finally make it through. Even with that knowledge in mind, this game is still hard as FUCK. But it's a fun kind of hard, that makes me keep challenging myself to get through the level with the best ranking possible.

That's not to say I don't have some major gripes about this game. Foremost, it seems like the developers LOVE to put projectile or dive-bombing enemies in spots right before a bottomless pit so you can fall to an instant death... quite often. My other gripe is somewhat similiar, as the camera angles the game presents you with are sometimes intentionally misleading and makes you think you can drop to a lower level... only to find out there's nothing below you. This happens way too often for my liking and I find that a extremely cheap way to rank up on difficulty.

Other than those gripes, I really do like the game. The graphics are alright (Not as bad as I expected them to be) but they could be much better, same with the 3D. The little cutscenes that play after and before each level are awesome though, great little action scenes with stylish art to boot. Hopefully I'll finish it within the next few days, then I'll probably focus on running back through to get even better rankings.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's not to say I don't have some major gripes about this game. Foremost, it seems like the developers LOVE to put projectile or dive-bombing enemies in spots right before a bottomless pit so you can fall to an instant death... quite often. My other gripe is somewhat similiar, as the camera angles the game presents you with are sometimes intentionally misleading and makes you think you can drop to a lower level... only to find out there's nothing below you. This happens way too often for my liking and I find that a extremely cheap way to rank up on difficulty.

Other than those gripes, I really do like the game.

Those are pretty big gripes. Knowing the game has such cheap deaths, poor design, and bland later levels that can be too long, are kinda killing any thought I had of picking this up.
Such a shame Sega couldn't pass such a long running, treasured franchise of theirs to a better developer.

What the fuck I can't even get past the first stage on normal. It's actually harder than the PS2 game.

It took me a while to get through it as well. Around 3-4 full attempts with all all my lives. You literally have to just parry everything, and when you get to the waterfall section, just be super fucking carefull with all of your jumps!

MAAAAAAaaaannnnnn UP!

SYNTAX182

Wow, you are right! I was ready to pass on this when I saw the screens, but looking at the videos, I love the art style in motion, the way the main character moves, whatever his name is, etc. The parry and combo system sounds great. Thanks for the info and impressions. Will get when I purchase a 3DS.

panda21

yeah! an OT! woooo

this game is great. i didnt make the end of the first level on normal yet..

i love the little animation of birds flying off when you slice a dude too.

Teknoman

I like what I see, but what about the music? Imo music has always been a big part of the Shinobi series, especially III with its awesome scene setting stuff.

"ONE OF THE BOSSES IS A CYBORG MEGLODON SHARK!"

Well damn...I feel like I have to support it now.

Yuterald

Man, I put some crow on the barbecue and ate all that shit up! I picked this game up with Ace Combat (3DS) on Black Friday. I'm very, very glad I did. I was sooooo down on this game when I first saw it, but once I started reading some positive impressions from hardcore action gamers I decided to pick it up. All this talk about parrying, EVERYTHING, got to me too. And surprise, surprise, the game is tight and it doesn't feel like shit!

I've just come off a Skyward Sword addiction so I haven't given this game the time of day yet, but I'm so eager to sink my teeth into over the coming weeks. Such a pleasant surprise from what I've played so far.

Teknoman

I mean, you do a good job trying to sell it, with OMG SUPER AWESOME CYBER SHARKS EXPLDOING OUT OF DEMON VAGINAS and other fun hyperbolic descriptions, but that art style STILL looks terrible to me.

Well there was a Cybernetic Shark with a shotgun in its mouth.

Yuterald

Has anyone gotten S Ranks yet in this game? I've only played up to Stage 3 so far on Normal, but I messed around with the first stage a BUNCH and could only manage an B Rank. The ranking system is strict as shit in this game. I believe I read it requires 20 mil points for an S rank. There are devs discussing tips and tricks on the combat/scoring system at Gamefaqs for those who are interested. There is definitely a lot of depth to this game, so cool.

Yuterald

I just got 20 million points on Stage 1 and got my first S Rank. Holy shit was it tough though. The ranking system is TIGHT and very, very strict. You pretty much have to beat the par time for each level to gain the time bonus at the end of the stage. I'm not even sure if an S Rank is possible if you got through the entire level with a X4 multiplier on just kills alone. I sure as fuck can't do it yet.

It seems like for S Ranks you just have to pull it all off. You have to complete the stage fast, under par time, while parrying as much as possible and getting X4 kills. Picking up items along the way is essential, but never go out of the way. Also, using the water magic to run faster is a must, but every time you use a spell you got penalized 250,000 points. You then need to make sure you collect the bonus game token every time you attempt an S rank run because you NEED that extra 2 million points from the mini game.

If every level requires 20 mil points for an S rank then you AT LEAST need to get 8 mil from the stage, 10 mil from the time bonus (if that is consistent for every level), the 2 mil from the bonus game, and some extra 250,000+ in change to compensate for how ever many spells you need. I don't know HOW the fuck you are supposed to beat a stage under par time without using the water magic though. The stages are long enough, there is no way around it. If someone could pull off an 8 million point score, under 10 mins on the first stage WITHOUT using water magic then I'd be mega impressed!

Yuterald

Prepare to be mega impressed then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsOe72hvKD8

22.9 million in 9:01 with no magic used :)

Holy shit how did you finish the level so quickly without the magic? I'm trying to figure out what I did differently. You even killed enemies with kunais more often than juggling them for bonus points. I don't get how you got so many natural stage points, especially since you lost your X4 multiplier near the second half of the stage. Good job nonetheless! I didn't even know you could pull chain the boss like that either! Is that just from charging your sword or something?

Top Bottom