• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim PS3 patch 2.01 is out. (at least in Europe)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Isn't the game kind of broken in some form on the PS3 version? I think that justifies that being patched first.
That's true.

Wasn't there a patch like a week or so ago. I remember seeing steam updating my game...
That was a false patch to add DRM and negate a crucial fix that the PC community implemented. Bethesda disabled that.

I hope they also fixed quest-related bugs. There are hundreds of them...
This is going to be on ongoing thing for patches to come. Big games like this with tons of stacked quests will have random bugs. It just works that way unfortunately. Unless the game is in bug testing for 6 months solid .

Nice, I was expecting to have to wait a couple more weeks.
Bethesda cares about their broken game after all.

I would take shitty textures in exchange for a smooth framerate in any game.
We do this on PC so don't worry. Except on PC you can turn off more minute things to add increments to the FR which is why the PC is that great.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Does this patch automatically download when you load the game? I have the US version and a US account, but am currently in Japan so not sure if that's why it's not showing up for me..
Every game does a version check at launch. Your location and the account your logged into is irrelevant, it checks the Title ID. If you didn't get a prompt to download when launching the game it most likely means the US patch isn't up yet. You have to wait till SCEA releases it.

Kurdel

Banned
Arggggggghhh!

A bad frame rate is not "lag". It's a bad frame rate.

Lag is a common word meaning to fail to keep up or to fall behind.[1] In real-time applications, the term is used when the application fails to respond in a timely fashion to inputs.[2][3] The most common use regards online gaming when the game doesn't respond in sync with the player's controls, usually due to a slow internet connection, server latency or overworked hardware.
Lag is also often used in reference to video games to describe to the delay (or latency) between an action by a player and the reaction of the game.[4]

Fits the description...

We do this on PC so don't worry. Except on PC you can turn off more minute things to add increments to the FR which is why the PC is that great.

Oh from having a crap PC I absolutely know this. Most PC games I end up playing at 1024x768 or 800x600 with absolute minimum graphics and even DX8 mode if it's available. Hell, I even played through Portal at 640x480 on minimum settings (except for being able to see into the next portal) just so I could get an average fps of just over 30.

Fits the description...
That description is referring to network and input lag.

Zafir

Well, eitherway, I installed the patch and can't notice any texture difference. So I dunno what they were on about in that thread.

Astra

I really hope this is up on NA PSN by this afternoon, or tomorrow morning at the latest.
My game became completely unplayable Friday or so, when the stuttering was happening in dungeons, too.

So with the drop in save file sizes, does this patch reduce the time in which object position is reset, and dead bodies are cleared from the world?

LiquidMetal14

I really hope this is up on NA PSN by this afternoon, or tomorrow morning at the latest.
My game became completely unplayable Friday or so, when the stuttering was happening in dungeons, too.

So with the drop in save file sizes, does this patch reduce the time in which object position is reset, and dead bodies are cleared from the world?

They all have issues but we better be seeing that PC patch today or tomorrow. There are just as many bugs and quite a few unique ones on PC only. My main gripes are all technical right now- Un-optimized CPU/GPU scaling and RAM, grid loading or just better/smarter streaming, audio being broken, then the rest of the normal stuff like quests and such.

If I can get gains from Catalyst 11.11a/b of about the advertised 2-7% then I don't see any reason why Bethesda couldn't do the same.

Souplak

Can anyone confirm they actually lowered the texture quality to achieve this? Seems a poor way of fixing it if they did.

I didn't notice any lower texture, but I had lots of problems with not loading textures before the patch. And now it seems like the textures actually load for me. So if anything the game looks lots better now!

LiquidMetal14

I didn't notice any lower texture, but I had lots of problems with not loading textures before the patch. And now it seems like the textures actually load for me. So if anything the game looks lots better now!

I think it's placebo. The game is basically the same but less glitches now. For the record, PC texture pop in happens on PC too.

It's really funny since this has only happened for the last 10 hours and it's increased. Not every area but if I can start counting, then it's too much.

MMaRsu

Banned
Great now I patched it and I get a black screen on startup after it tells me the game autosaves.. WTF

Should I restart it? WTF

LiK

Read that the 360 texture patch will be out before the end of the week. Awesome. No real issues with playing off the disc but I really wanna install it for better loading.

Read that the 360 texture patch will be out before the end of the week. Awesome. No real issues with playing off the disc but I really wanna install it for better loading.

Is it confirmed to have better load times when installed?

Shadybiz

Great news, thanks. Hopefully it's available in NA very soon. I stopped playing before I really hit any issues, but it's good to know that I can now continue on without being afraid of running into them.

KageMaru

Happy the patch was put out so soon, hopefully PS3 players can enjoy one of the best games this year. =)

Great news!

But wasn't this supposed to come out in a couple of weeks from now? Either their desperation forced their hand or this is just a regular hotfix, with the proper patch still coming along the road. I will pop my copy in later today and see if the update is live in the general EU/UK region.

The severity of the bug probably placed the patch in high priority on Sony's cert process.

Still sounds like PS3 version isn't the one to get if you have multiple options.

This really isn't the thread for this dude, there's a console performance thread for a reason. No need to be pissing other people's parade.

I would take shitty textures in exchange for a smooth framerate in any game.

I'm curious to know if they really did sacrifice any texture detail.

4MB patch limit says "not so fast, cowboy".

BF3 had a 196MB patch IIRC, so I'm not so sure this applies.

Souplak

I think it's placebo. The game is basically the same but less glitches now. For the record, PC texture pop in happens on PC too.

It's really funny since this has only happened for the last 10 hours and it's increased. Not every area but if I can start counting, then it's too much.

Yeah that probably it. I never expected Bethesta to release a patch and just seeing the framerate get better makes you see everything in a different light.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Hmm okay patch is good, since it fixed my last dark brotherhood quest... Sweet!

Hrmm...I hope it will get that
quest with getting Roggvir's sister to go back to temple
out of my quest list since its completion was bugged.

Demon Ice

Banned
PC patch soon please...I've had to validate and re-download the game 5 times so far...and I'm far too addicted to just stop playing til a patch comes out :p

Putty

Patch installed. Seems fine. Can't say if stuttering is gone as i'd never reached that far into the game. Texture downgrade as a few have mentioned looks bolloks, seems no different and as a few have pointed out, texture loading "seems" to be improved. Overall framerate again....hard to say withought going back and forth between 2.00

ElFly

I wonder if this fix could be adapted to the ps3 versions of FO3 and F:NV, which had similar symptoms (greater instability once the save file got to 5MB).

I just installed the patch and walked around some towns and open areas, and the massive lag that made the game unplayable is gone. Back to my main character...

wish they would release notes describing what exactly is being done to fix this. Maybe on Beyond3D or something?

Would love to know

STG

still got the bad lag after ~1hour

and also the bug that the guards in markath won't arrest me is still in, so I still can't enter that city without getting stuck in a dialog with the guards

LiquidMetal14

wish they would release notes describing what exactly is being done to fix this. Maybe on Beyond3D or something?

Would love to know

Exactly. What the hell happened to patch notes! Console or not, it would be interesting to see the list of bug fixes and maybe some candid writings on how they fixed them.

and also the bug that the guards in markath won't arrest me is still in, so I still can't enter that city without getting stuck in a dialog with the guards

That's sad.

Did they fix that house in Whiterun you can't get into after the Battle of Whiterun. I have to steal something out of there damnit!

hamchan

We need more impressions from people who've played a few hour session or for people to state how long they've played for before declaring the problem fixed. Pre patch the game never lagged for me at the start of my play sessions but then turned into a mess after an hour or so.

Are you on a slim ps3 or a phat? I wonder if that might create some issues.

Kyoufu

Well I've been playing for roughly 5 hours ish. No stuttering here, but my save file is 8MB.

For comparison's sake, at this point I would have to exit to the XMB because towns would become a slideshow, but right now its smooth as Kim Kardashian's butt.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are you on a slim ps3 or a phat? I wonder if that might create some issues.

Just played for one hour, and there is still a minor slowdown in Whiterun for me (worst offender before), but its not nearly as bad as before. Patch definitely helped. Might get worse in 1 or 2 hours again, but its definitely an improvement. Launch Ps3 here.

Top Bottom