• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu gives Skyrim 40/40 ALL HAIL SKYRIM, MOSES OF VIDEO GAMES

LiK

http://andriasang.com/comz4g/

Famitsu's editors have awarded their latest perfect score. This time, an overseas game finally managed to cross the 39 barrier and received a perfect 40 as Famitsu's four person review crew each scored The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim a 10. The game sees PS3 and Xbox 360 release on the 8th.

It has finally happened.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
About time western devs figured out how this system worked.

"We've been giving them $ hats all this time!"

"Let's try ¥ hat this time!"

bam

profit.

hmmm, the only problem I have with skyrim is that it's pretty much a given for GOTY, yet gameplay is easily the worst out of all the other good games of the year. Sure the world and amount of content is vast... something just feels wrong when you say that the GOTY's biggest flaw is gameplay...

Aeana

I'm sure it just means they finally got enough money.

Famitsu reviews have little to do with game quality and hopefully we don't forget that. It's so weird how people are so selective about when they take a Famitsu review seriously and when they don't.

Famitsu reviews have little to do with game quality and hopefully we don't forget that. It's so weird how people are so selective about when they take a Famitsu review seriously and when they don't.

It's about as weird as when people take western reviews seriously and when they don't.

Just think how high they would have scored it if it didn't have so many bugs! Could've been the first game to get a 45/40 in Famitsu.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So where did the whole "pubs buy good Famitsu scores" thing come from?
The well is always poisoned by that declaration.

Reason has no place in a discussion about review scores.

Derrick01

Banned
Good, it deserves the score as it's really great. Though I won't say I'm not surprised a little that the japanese gave it a top score.

Q8D3vil

pretty much this

although the game deserve 10/10 in my book (pc version with 3d).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
-.-

No Elder Scrolls game deserves a perfect score, especially not with the terrible combat system.

The combat system and actual feel of the fighting is far better in Skyrim than any other game in the series. But, even so, this is the problem with review numbers. There's too much weight in people's minds given to "perfect" scores. What each individual reviewer or publication considers a "10" or "100" to mean is arbitrary. Some don't even subscribe to the philosophy that perfect is perfect, and don't mean a "10" to indicate the game is without a single flaw.

In the case of Famitsu, I could see them giving it a 40 as Skyrim is, perhaps, the first sandbox western RPG that is polished enough (not perfect, but sufficient) to allow a Japanese reviewer to get into it and appreciate what it has to offer.

A 40/40 from Famitsu nowadays usually means that the editors really want their readers to play it, in spite of its problems or how different it is. The really good or perfect games get 38 or 39.

J-Rzez

They reviewed the PS3 version, which is all the more reason to consider the review suspect.

They're no different than all the other major media outlets when it comes to reviews, so this isn't really shocking. The combat is more fun than before, but it still is unacceptable by today's standards. Then there's the whole bug/glitch situation. Them playing the PS3 version just further exposes gaming journalism/critic/reviews.

Top Bottom