• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #86 - "Human Interest"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Theme - "Human Interest"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, December 15, 2011 and goes until Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Ambiguity - Leave one or more aspect of your story ambiguous, for that extra pinch of mystery.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Entry list:

Bootaaay - "Clean"
bakemono - "Number Eight"
Grakl - "Just a Friendly Reminder"
Alfarif - "Placate" (tidypub)
John Dunbar - "A Communal Book"
Tangent - "Curiosity Killed"
Sober - "After Happily Ever After"
DumbNameD - "With Interest" (tidypub)
Ashes1396 - "Fragments" (tidypub)
Cyan - "Rustbucket"

Dunno if it matches the theme, but my newest short story DOES match the secondary objective.

Then I remembered that it has to be written during the challenge time. Goddammit. Well nevermind then.

Rezbit

Bookmarked so I remember to do it! You guys will get to see my crappy writing...woohoo! Tough theme, but got a few ideas floating around.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I should do this... I want to do this... but I can never think of anything to write a short story about. Novels I can do, take an idea and run with it. But a beginning, middle and end, all in 2000 words? I don't know what that means, let alone how to do it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I should do this... I want to do this... but I can never think of anything to write a short story about. Novels I can do, take an idea and run with it. But a beginning, middle and end, all in 2000 words? I don't know what that means, let alone how to do it.

slice of life, dude. slice of life.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
slice of life, dude. slice of life.

Hmm, yeah I guess so... but it's like music in a way. My band keep wanting to make these really protracted and boring funk/post-rock jams. And I keep saying to them, yes we could do this, but if I saw this band I would think they were shit.

And it's the same with writing. Slice of life exists, sure. But I never really want to read it. I like stories where big stuff happens, I don't have the patience for the slow stuff.

But maybe I could do a slice of something big... hmmm...

You've given me something to ponder, certainly.

Cyan

Banned
So, you guys might recall a bit of a todo about a month ago when the TOS unexpectedly changed. Well, a few good suggestions came out of it.

If you would like to link your work here on GAF without Evilore owning it, I'm recommending you try Tinypaste. No TOS worries (and yes, I have read their TOS ;) ). Allows you to set an auto-prune, so it deletes itself from the internet after a certain period of time. And most importantly, allows you to set a password and make it non-public, which means the work will not count as having been published.

If you're looking to publish your work later, this is key.

I understand from some of the NaNoers who have tried it out that there are some formatting issues, so be aware if you're trying to use it right at the deadline. ;)

This will also be going into the FAQ.

Cyan

Banned
This will also be going into the FAQ.

Just out of curiosity, do people make use of the FAQ? I suppose the regulars don't really need to, but you guys all know there are links to every previous writing challenge (+ winning story) and a list of secondary objectives, right?

this interests me...maybe
Coming out of retirement? We'd be glad to have you!

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Thanks, Cyan.

Do you happen to have links to all of the previous writing threads? I'd like to delete all of my stuff out of them completely.

Puddles

Banned
Since I've posted fragments of my novel on here, does Evilore own it now? Am I going to have to pay him royalties if a publisher ever puts it out?

Cyan

Banned
Thanks, Cyan.

Do you happen to have links to all of the previous writing threads? I'd like to delete all of my stuff out of them completely.
:/

Yeah, as mentioned above, check the FAQ. They're all there.

Since I've posted fragments of my novel on here, does Evilore own it now? Am I going to have to pay him royalties if a publisher ever puts it out?
Nope, you're good. By the TOS, Evilore could theoretically put those excerpts on another website without asking you, though it seems wildly unlikely. But no, they are still your copyright.

The "prior publication" issue is not an issue for excerpts of a novel.

Alfarif

:/

Yeah, as mentioned above, check the FAQ. They're all there.

Sorry, should have refreshed. I read the Tinypaste thing first, opened a reply, typed my stuff, then had to leave for something work related and didn't get to send it.

I'll use Tinypaste going forward for anything writing related.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It is definitely because I'm lazy, but Tinypaste makes it 99% more likely that I won't read something somebody has written. Getting the password, clicking the link.... it's all too much effort.

I think it's a little bit paranoid to think that Evilore is going to exploit stuff that is posted on GAF. there are millions of posts on here, I'm under no illusions that he'd ever notice mine and then copy it all over the place.

If I enter this challenge (lets see if I can find an idea first...), can I still just post it here on the forum?

Ashes

Banned
It is definitely because I'm lazy, but Tinypaste makes it 99% more likely that I won't read something somebody has written. Getting the password, clicking the link.... it's all too much effort.

I think it's a little bit paranoid to think that Evilore is going to exploit stuff that is posted on GAF. there are millions of posts on here, I'm under no illusions that he'd ever notice mine and then copy it all over the place.

If I enter this challenge (lets see if I can find an idea first...), can I still just post it here on the forum?

yep. Its how we do it in the poetry thread.

Ashes

Banned
Material is unsearchable through search engines and you can take down the link after challenges. But I suppose others could retain the URL...

I didn't know that. Awesome.

edit: Test works...

“Court Marshall” or “The Last Letter”

Edit: Though I suppose google cache can retrieve that... And I know others were saying that it was the password protection that made the *first publishable rights' thing possible. But anyway you've convinced at least me Tim...

Cyan

Banned
Tidypub > Tinypaste.

I like the look of the site, but it doesn't have the password-protection.

Yes, of course you can.

I don't have any worries at all about Evilore. But the whole debacle highlighted something important, namely that you don't necessarily have control over stuff you post to public websites. For those of us trying to get published, this is important.

If you're not worried about Evilore eating your story and you don't have any thoughts of publishing it, fire away!

Clean (1274 words)

He bought it on a whim, that little ball of mewling fluffiness sitting in the shop window, it's wide eyes not more than a few weeks open. The shopkeeper, a kindly woman in her middle years, was apprehensive, unsure if this scraggly, strung out man was up to the task of caring for an animal. But his money was good and he assured her that he had experience with cats, so she relented as she watched the little kitten purr contentedly in his arms as he scratched behind it's ear. After retrieving a carrier and placing his new pet inside, he walked the aisles, picking up here and there the little necessities of cat ownership. When he walked from the shop, wallet near emptied, he made for the nearest bus stop across the street, two burgeoning bags of pet supplies and carrier in hand.

The bitter wind of mid-December chilled him to the bone, even through the thick layers of his jacket, and the little kitten mewled piteously from inside it's cage, but luckily they didn't have to wait long for the bus as the faithful old No. #25 soon came into view. He took a seat at the back and placed the carrier next to him, glad to at last be off his feet. Feeling his phone vibrate in his pocket, he looked down to see he'd received a text. He stared blankly for a few seconds at the message, before holding down the button to turn the phone off. When he looked up an old lady was shuffling her way towards the empty seat beside him and he dutifully moved the carrier onto his lap.

"Thank you, dear." she said as she sat down, rubbing her wrinkled hands vigorously to warm some of the life back into them.

Noticing the carrier she peered inside and cooed when the kitten meowed at her.

"Oohh, isn't it just adorable? He'll make a nice Christmas surprise for your family."

"Well," he replied, "it's just me nowadays."

"No, I suppose you're a bit too young for kids of your own." she said with a smile, before warning him "You better look after him well, you hear?", feeling duty bound as an elder to impart a sense of responsibility.

"Oh don't worry, I'm going to take good care of him." he said as the bus trundled on to the next stop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hours later, after finding new homes for all the items he had bought and introducing the kitten to it's new home, he lay on the sofa, typing away on his laptop as the tiny bundle of fur slept soundly between his feet. When looking at the words the past hour of writing had wrought, he was surprised to find just how much he had written. Normally, his bursts of creativity arrived erratically, creeping up on him unexpectedly like bad news, or a sneeze, in between bouts of drug-addled drunkenness. But today when he arrived through the door, he found his inspiration awaiting him. It wasn't any one thing, or even any one event that had preceded it's arrival. It was imperceptible, but something had definitely changed. And it wasn't the kitten itself, but perhaps the kitten was representative of the new mood that has so suddenly washed over him.

The phone rang and he regrettably rose, taking pains not to disturb the slumbering form of his new found friend, sleeping between his feet.

"So, do you want this or not? Because I'm going to the pub in half hour, it'll probably be all gone by tomorrow."

"Uh, no, sorry Dave, something's come up." he hastily replied. "Another time mate, I just ain't got the cash right now." which, technically, was true.

"Well, you get the cash sorted before you ring me next time, alright?" said Dave, cutting off the call before he had time to reply.

Breathing a sigh of relief, he once more returned to the sofa, but not before dimming the lights. The artificial electric fireplace was pumping out heat happily in it's faux depiction of a real fire, and on the cushion next to him the kitten had curled itself into as tight a ball as possible, little paws clasped tight over sleeping eyes. He nuzzled gently behind it's ear and smiled as it began to purr, before opening his laptop and continuing to write.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awaking to the sound of someone yelling through the letterbox, he realised he must have dozed off. The kitten was nowhere to be seen, but he didn't see it's absence as cause for alarm as it couldn't exactly go far. He opened the door, rubbing bleary eyes, and was greeted by the sight of Aaron and his mates. He was always forgetting their names, but they didn't say much in any case, so he had little regard for them as hangers on, always lurking with staring eyes behind Aaron.

"Alright mate, did you get it yet? We're after a couple." said Aaron, launching into the familiar pattern of conversation that marked their acquaintance.

"Nah, mate, sorry." he replied, hoping to hurry things along without further explanation.

"Oh...any idea when you'll be picking up then?" Aaron ventured, his mates muttering to themselves in the background.

"I wont be, mate. I ain't doing it any more."

"What d'you mean?" said Aaron incredulously, "Come on bruv, you're our only contact." he pleaded.

"Look, Aaron mate, I just ain't doing it any more." he sighed, "I can give you Dave's number though, he's probably down at the pub right now if you want some."

"Uh, I dunno...I never met him before."

"Just tell him you're a mate of mine, he'll sort you out, alright?"

"Yeah, whatever." replied Aaron.

And with that, Aaron left, underlings in tow. He closed the door and walked back in the house in search of the little kitten.

There were a few more knocks at the door that night, and dozens of messages and missed calls when he finally turned on his phone the next morning. But as time passed and the kitten grew bigger, the calls stopped. Word had gotten around, he guessed, and in no time at all it was as if he'd never known Aaron or Dave and the life they represented. He realised now, sadly, that for all the time spent in their company, they weren't his friends. They shared no common interests or opinions, and there was only one thing that linked them. He had thought it would be a lot more difficult to give up that it had proved, but he had the kitten to thank for that.

Most of his spare money went on keeping it fed, he just didn't have the cash for a two-hundred pounds a month or more extravagance, and besides, the time he saved from smoking and drinking with Aaron and Dave was put to good use writing. Glancing now at the word-count at the bottom of the screen, he felt an unusual sensation of pride. Not only in that he'd found the motivation to get so much done, but in that he actually liked the words he had written. And sitting there, bathed in the warm glow of his laptop screen, the little animal, now more a cat than kitten, sitting peacefully at his side, he felt content for the first time in years, but more than that; he felt clean.

starsky

She was a nameless number, a notch in the register of statistics. She was the eighth victim of the Redmoor file and the only one that was never recovered.

I saw her, that night, under the burning moon amidst the crackling plumes of black smoke. Her hair was heavy and slick with sweat, amber and shadows. She had her back against me as she walked back into the fire. I did not follow her. She was just a girl I had spent a few weeks with, in that basement, under that house, upon that hill, at that forsaken place in the middle of nowhere. And there were so many of us there.

“Try to remember. It's important.”

I glance at an earnest face of a young reporter in his mid-twenties. Fresh out of journalism school, from the feel of him. I can see that spark flickers still in his eyes. That foolhardy faith in everything good. I smile wryly. He may be of some use yet.

“I am trying.”

He picks up his notebook, flicking it back a few pages.

“You said there were at least a dozen of you? He kept you all in one room?”

I nod.

“It was a massive cellar, it had pillars supporting the high, vaulted ceiling. There were old barrels at one side of the wall. There was an echo in there, and always a little cold. I think it was made out of large old stones. I remember. The uneven surface, the cracks and sharpness of the stone-walls. It's funny, now that I think about it, how I had felt safe clutching to them, sinking my figure into the protection of its shadows, when its jaggedness were scraping new scars onto my back.”

I look down at my hands, my left tidily ensconced within my right.

“That sounds terrible.” He offers.

I lift my face and smile at him wanly. It is a well-practised gesture, and it works effectively.

“There was no safety in that place. The shadows of the walls could only shield us from shame. Well, I suppose, that's still something.”

He says nothing, his eyes conflicted.

“And the girl? Number eight?” He inquires tremulously.

I sigh. They always ask about her. Number eight. The mysterious girl.

“She came just before the fire, and she changed everything.”

He nods. “There were some deaths by then?”

“Yes, a few had passed away. There were only seven girls when Number Eight joined.”

“You weren't actually numbered, then? I mean, you were called by your names?”

“Yes, but she had never told us her name, and we were not overly interested in social norms in that place.”

He notes this faithfully.

“How... how did it happen? Within the month, everything was reduced to ruins...”

I hope this magazine will carry this same old story with a little bit more exaggerated drama. Donations are such fickle sources of income.

“She is unlike any of us, you see. From the moment of her arrival, we sensed a different tension in the cellar. There were the older girls, and they were kept because they were docile. Soft. He had not picked them very often by then, but he had kept them around for he knew that they were instrumental in breaking the newer girls into line. Some of them he did not care for any longer, though. It was sad to see them go. I was particularly close to Heather, she was kind to me. She tried to protect me a few times. I remember. I remember the grip of her hand, cold fingers and untended nails. I remember how she had pushed me behind her, shielding me away from his attention. I remember the panic in her voice.”

Our young Mr. Journalist swallows audibly as his pencil dances across the page.

“Heather-... ah, Heather Bowen! She was one of the first ones... if I am not mistaken.”

I shrug weakly.

“We never talked about the passage of time down there. Who was first, who would be next, and how many had perished, things like that were never spoken out loud.”

A slight fluster works its way into his face.

“And, and so, how did the older girls relate to Number Eight?”

“We treated her as they have treated us. She wasn't given any special considerations. An older girl picks a younger one to look after, and I had been there long enough by then, to be considered senior enough for a charge.”

He looks up at me eagerly.

“You chose to look after her?”

I nod.

“There was something about her that was ...different, some unpleasant manner in which she looked at things, in which she sneered, in which she spoke with. None of the other girls would have her, so... so I had felt sorry for her. Boy, did that backfire.”

“She was rude as she was unyielding. She refused to tell us her name outright, and I was too stupid, too timid to put myself over her. In my heart, I had thought that she would pay the price of her own bullheadedness. And I had waited for it, you know, I was waiting and looking forward to her cowering and whimpering like every one of us had been. When he came for us the first time.”

His pencil has stopped. I flick my gaze over at his pages, and he resumes noting down furiously.

“I tried to tell her, I did. I told her the rules, and I told her what would happen, and how. I bid her to cooperate nicely, and that it was going to be over at last and that she would have lived through it. I told her that I thought I would have died out of the fear of it before it happened, but I had survived it well enough. But she was something else, I tell you.”

“What did she say?”

I shift in my seat and look away through the dirty window, at the smoggy city-scape in the distance.

“I said that the older girls would help her first-time, and that we would hold her dearly as he takes her. But she told me to mind my own business. She said that she did not need the assistance of a group of cowards to shape her into the biggest coward of them all. She sneered. She said that it was Tuesday that day, and that we've forgotten what Tuesdays were.”

His pencil scribbles busily upon the notepad.

“So, well, so, I resented her then. And I wished he would come soon and have her, so that she would be broken just like the rest of us. I even thought of the sweetness that would return to our dysfunctional sisterhood. She was a ball of tension and unpleasantness, and at that time, I had wished for her suffering. Isn't that awful of me, Mr.-... oh, sorry, I seem to have misremember your name?”

“Paul Ward. And, did he come for her?”

“Not immediately, no. He seemed wary of her, though curious and hungry for her too. But yes, eventually, he did come for her. One night he sent down words to Laura, the unspoken leader of us, that he was going to take the newest girl, and that we needed to prepare her for him.”

“Usually, we would have wailed softly together, in a huddle as we comfort the new girl for her first night. But Number Eight just laughed at us openly. So, we left her alone and we shrank into the comforts of the walls as he came down with his spiked wooden bat. It was a grisly thing, that hideous weapon, it used to terrify me so. It had rusty, large nails sticking out from its head, and they seemed as if dancing as they were caught in the fire of the torches.”

“We saw the amber of the fire first before we hear his footsteps upon the stone staircase. I remember sinking into the corner, frightened. Then we hear his habitual mumbling, and labouring breaths, and the scrapes of the nails against the uneven walls. I wished I could have disappeared into the shadows, and I made myself as tiny as I could. He arrived then and he called for his new girl to come forward.”

I let my gaze fall back down upon my lap, my left hand within my right. Then I look up to catch his rapt attention.

“I could have sworn that my heart had stopped then. It seemed like a very long time, but I think now, looking back, it must have been only a momentary stillness before Number Eight walked into the centre of the basement, naked and smiling as if she was standing under the sun, amongst an endless field of flowers.”

Mr. Ward gapes.

“We weren't the only ones taken by surprise. I doubt he had met anyone like her before, either. She beckoned at him with her fingers and it seemed as if he was hypnotized then. He staggered forward towards her, one step at a time until she was directly in front of him. And then, tiptoeing cutely, she arched her neck and whispered to him very softly. I remember the shape of her lips caught in the fire-light, I remember how she had grazed her breasts lightly against his upper arm as she leaned forward to breath into his ear.”

“And then?”

I shrug coarsely.

“The rest happened too fast, and too much like a dream that I would be but a poor source for it.”

“Please try, Miss Crest. It would mean so much to our readership to obtain the best account out of this story.”

I nod.

“I am trying. Well, let's see. I saw a blur of a motion, nimble and fast and lean, and all of a sudden the bat was at her hand and he was screaming, flailing with his hairy arms. She seemed to dodge most of his movements easily, casually striking at his face and head with the spiked end of the stick. I think she was calling him names, but maybe that was me. I don't know. It was dark and confusing, and at one stage, he knocked off the torches, or one of them anyway, and they lit the old, dry barrels up. Well, I was screaming then, and with Laura, I herded all of us up the stairs and out into a landing. We were panicked. We scrambled until we found a way out of that place. And then everything was smoke and fire and hysteria.”

“And Number Eight?”

“She came out last. We were sitting and sobbing on the lawn, watching everything burn, and I caught her face then.”

I remember. I remember we were smiling at each other.

“She walked back into the fire and that was the last I had seen her.”

Mr. Ward is quiet as he finishes up his note-taking.

“What a shame. It will remain a mystery why she did that. Why she had walked back into the fire. And what did she whisper to him, and who was she.”

“So, you knew the story after all, Mr. Ward.”

“Well, Miss Crest, it happened not very far away from here after all. My editor had wanted another angle, or maybe a spectacular new insight as to this mysterious girl, the Number Eight. He thought it would have brought a wider circulation.”

“I am sorry, Mr. Ward. I can only recount what I remember.”

He rises from his seat.

“No matter, Miss Crest. It has always been a fascinating local story. I do hope you are doing well, now?”

I smile as I walk him out of the apartment.

“Well enough, though I would not turn away kindly gestures. He might have perished in the fire, Mr. Ward, but my nightmares are forever.”

“Ah. I will see what I can do, Miss Crest.”

“Thank you.”

I close the door behind him and return to my afternoon tea.

I don't have any worries at all about Evilore. But the whole debacle highlighted something important, namely that you don't necessarily have control over stuff you post to public websites. For those of us trying to get published, this is important.

Wait, what whole debacle?

Grakl

Just a Friendly Reminder

The audience looks up.

"The urge. We all have it. That urge. You are aware of what I mean. It is the urge to cause havoc on yourself and others. The urge to lay out the truth of a people. What right have you to do such a thing? To commit such a terrible act? The urge can not be acted upon. It must not be acted upon. The concept of morality has been forgotten. The days are long past to return from that path - instead, we must forge a new one! Let this new path be the path of understanding. The true path. One that cannot be forgotten or disparaged. One that all can, and must, understand. It shall be, indeed, the final path."

The audience applauds.

Alfarif

Placate
Word: 1,068

http://tidypub.org/GzYtm

Note: This is my first short fiction in about a year... I've been writing screenplays and comic scripts for awhile now. Feels good to write something like this again.

Puddles

Banned
I have been trying to solve the problem of my novel's first few chapters for fucking years now, and I've never come close to being satisfied. All the other parts are coming along pretty well.

Might put together a short story for this tomorrow just to break the gridlock.

Just finished my semester at university, which included a fiction workshop (2 stories), a drama workshop, (2 screenplays), a screenplay lecture course, and an authors lecture course.

Hoping I'll have time to enter into the next challenge, given Christmas and my best friend's wedding. Whoever wins this challenge, make the wordcount big! I need to start writing a story for next semester and they need to be a minimum of 3500 words.

Puddles

Banned
Lately I feel like my prose just sucks. I seriously feel like it used to be better. I've spent a few hours writing today, and none of it has any spark. Maybe a change in environment would help.

Cyan

Banned
Lately I feel like my prose just sucks. I seriously feel like it used to be better. I've spent a few hours writing today, and none of it has any spark. Maybe a change in environment would help.

I've been getting the same feeling. I think sometimes it's just imagination.

Certainly the last few things I've seen from you have been tops.

Puddles

Banned
I've been getting the same feeling. I think sometimes it's just imagination.

Certainly the last few things I've seen from you have been tops.

Thanks for the encouragement. =)

I think tomorrow I'm going to get out of the house to write. When I was traveling I was bursting with inspiration, but lately it takes a real effort to get anything on the page.

Alfarif

Thanks for the encouragement. =)

I think tomorrow I'm going to get out of the house to write. When I was traveling I was bursting with inspiration, but lately it takes a real effort to get anything on the page.

Winter does that. I always have so much energy in the Spring/Summer but once Winter hits, I might as well not exist.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
A Communal Book
(1,500 words)

I wake to the metallic ringing of the alarm clock. It is a hefty old grey clock whose tiny hammer furiously bounces from bell to bell as it is the only kind that can disturb my slumber. I stretch out on the sheets, the sleep still in my eyes. Despite all my body yearning to remain in bed I kick off my covers and rise. The floor is cold to my bare feet but I do not put on my socks because in my upright position gravity has found me: my bladder, ready to burst, sends me rushing to seek relief from the bathroom of my small studio apartment whose rent is paid with an inheritance from some old uncle or other who I never met but who apparently did not have anyone else to whom bequeath his worldly possessions.

In the bathroom I sit down on the porcelain throne shared by kings and clowns and listen to the tinkle of urine as it first hits the side of the bowl, then cascades down to join that ever-level round pool at the bottom. At the very moment I let my bowels go a sudden realization of a fact I have always been vaguely aware of but never consciously acknowledged strikes me: all this has been built for me.

All drowsiness departs from my eyes as I bask in the beauty of the room I find myself in on this magnificent morning. The history of human ingenuity has been written on the walls of this bathroom. The paths we follow through even the thickest of forests have been trodden with feet that travelled there before, and likewise the pioneers of that great wilderness we call Time have charted our course for us, and it is our duty to pass on their torch to our disciples.

I get up and wash my hands with my mind filled to the brim with the beauty of the world. What a miracle it is that with a pull of a lever water travels through this land and reaches my faucet. I look into the mirror and can only smile and shake my head incredulously at this triumph of creativity.

In the kitchen, which so often I have neglectfully called a mere cooking area, I take out two oranges. I slice them in half, and then place the exposed meat of one of the halves on a manual citrus juicer, the little white star at the centre of the fruit meeting the tip of the ridged cone. Standing next to the table whose wobbly legs are kept at balance with a copy of Diccionario Conciso De Modismos I press and squeeze the halved orange against the juicer to extract its liquid and then I notice the little round stickers attached to both of them. They both came from China. All the way from China, these sunny little fruits that now forfeit their fluids for my nourishment. I savour the foreign flavours from distant exotic lands, in awe at the thought of all the steps mankind has had to take to send this ambrosia through time and space to my humble abode at this very hour.

All my morning chores done I leave my apartment and go outside where I am greeted by a nippy December day ready to break. I see a man in a suit next to a car, brushing snow off his windscreen. Snow fell last night, and it is still gently falling, but the car is warm: an electric cord peeks out of the snow bank, carrying heat to the vehicle, the warmth almost enough to melt the snow atop it. While the man is at his task he is talking on a phone without holding one in his hand, his unseen interlocutor a mile or a thousand away. Astounding.

I leave the man to his work and am on my way towards the university. A woman walks past me, wearing a dark blue wool military lace-up coat that is both warm and stylish to keep the frosty dogs of December at bay. Her beauty is high and solitary, the minor imperfections of her face hidden with foundation, or perhaps removed permanently with a scalpel. Her black leather boots with their high heels no doubt make her supple stockinged bottom look fantastic, but the long hem of her coat impedes more careful assessment.

In a thick overcoat a beggar lady crouched against a tall office building extends a suppliant hand at the men and women who pass her by, the few loose change in the disposable coffee cup jingling around. What would a man be without men? We are all part of a greater whole, chapters in a communal book of destiny.

All amazed at these wondrous sights I arrive at the University. There in the lobby I see people I know who do not know me, and perhaps people I do not know who know me see me, and then I see people who I know and who know me. They ask me how I am, but how could I answer such a question? I know what I am, for I am them like they are me, but how I am I do not have the words to say. To them I cannot explain that their success is my success and if one of us does well we all do well, and if one of us does poorly we all do poorly, for we are one, and we hold each others' lives in our hands.

I see that the door to the auditorium opens, and a stream of humanity flows in, full of determination, like fresh water rivers which long to join the bitter saltness of the sea at the risk of losing a part of themselves; a part of oneself is a small price to pay for being a part of something greater, something that spans the entire globe.

In the auditorium I take my seat and am handed a piece of paper which I inspect with utmost interest. I am awe-struck that these symbols on the white sheet communicate a multitude of meanings to my brain. I understand each letter, the words they form, and the sentences the words in turn spin together. But they mean so many thing it is impossible to choose just one. Something more than words is needed.

All I can do is draw a picture. A picture that is just as good and just as bad as any picture the hands of men have ever conjured before or will ever conjure henceforth. Visual depiction that best helps to illustrate the wonder the world holds at this very moment in time, the wonder past generations have built for us with their deeds of daring and acuminous accomplishments.

This is for you, Alexander! Many fell upon your sword, and you became one with them. Their blood is your blood: every ounce of blood you spilled from their veins came from yours; every head and limb severed on your account was severed from your own body; every cracked skull you trampled on upon those ensanguined fields of victory was the self-same skull that lay upon your own shoulders. But now, great general, all your weary conquering is done. Be at peace and bleed no more.

This is for you, Galileo! When there were no more worlds left to conquer you charted the heavens. Men of wisdom have had a long acquittance with sorrow; to learn so much to discover even more, only to see the road of knowledge grow ever longer, until it becomes clear that the wonders which lie beyond the horizon will forever remain out of your reach. But your children are grateful for your mind, for your refusal to yield to those unholy forces who denied the beauty you saw in this unhappy world.

This is for you, nameless Chinese farmer! History has never forgotten your name, for your name was never known to it. No antique bust to commemorate your deeds shall adorn the great halls of men. But fret not, anonymous agrarian of Asia. The greatest minds and mightiest conquerors pale in comparison before your nameless grace. Your oranges shine down upon us brighter than any cruel star in the celestial vault, your plough nobler far than the blade of any Greek demi-god.​

I rise with a smile and carry my paper to the professor. He takes it and looks at me over the rim of his glasses. I know that he knows that we are the same, lost lambs of history standing on the shoulders of giants.

In their seats all the students glance up from their papers as I leave the room, no doubt wondering why I am smiling. I wish I could explain. I wish I could explain it all.

All this behind me I exit the building and breathe in the sweet air. It is brisk and cold and when I exhale my breath comes out white clouds and mingles with that of the men, women and children who pass me by.

O my people, what have I done unto you?

Tangent

I think NaNoWriMo broke my ability to write. :/

LOLFR... well, yeah, I guess it can do that. I guess it can... :eek:)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Curiosity Killed" (1279 words)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” – Stephen Covey

Sydney held the Morton salt can under her arm just like the little girl in the yellow dress on the salt container. She casually walked down the steps of the front porch towards her brother.

“Did you keep an eye on him?” Sydney asked her brother.

“Yeah, Sydney. Really, he’s not going anywhere at his rate,” replied Wyatt. Yet he kept his eyes fixed on the snail. Sydney looked over her brother’s shoulder. The snail certainly wasn’t in a hurry. But when the snail looked up, he seemed to peer into the faces of the two siblings with his four antennae, and it looked like he was smiling.

“Should I do it or should you?” asked Sydney.

Wyatt still hadn’t looked up. It was like he was hypnotized. “Let’s both do it,” he answered. He swung his arm behind him and cupped his hand. Sydney poured some salt into his hand and then she sprinkled a little onto her own palm. The salt settled within the creases of her palm.

“On the count of three?” Wyatt asked.

In unison, they both said, “One, two….THREE.” They both sprinkled their salt on their victim. They were silent as they heard the snail sizzle and writhe in agony.

Then Wyatt started backing up and jumped up and down. “Sydney did you see that?! I can’t believe it!” It was hard to pinpoint the expression on his face. It was a mixture of confusion, excitement, and maybe, fear. Before Syndey could reply, they heard the voice of their mother’s boyfriend, Buzz, from inside.

“Hey! Cut out the racket!” they heard Buzz bellow.

Buzz kill.

“So what do you wanna do now?” shrugged Wyatt. Sydney didn’t really have an idea, but Wyatt followed along as they traversed the creek and its various bits of empty chip bags and beer cans littered along the pebbles. They rolled down hills, stared at the clouds, and sat in the shade.

“Do you think we’re allowed to go inside now?” asked Sydney after she tracked a fly with her eyes, trying to grab it in her first, twice, but to no avail.

“Maybe, I think Buzz is gone. To work,” responded Wyatt.

The two kids hummed as they headed back to the house.

“Whoa! Wait, look at this!” said Wyatt as he stopped in his tracks. Under the toe-side edge of his right shoe was a thick line of ants moving to and from an ant hill just inches away from Wyatt. Sydney shifted closer, and in what seemed like no time at all, the two started to feel the grit of the sidewalk press into their knees as they scrutinized the ants on all fours.

“I got an idea,” said Sydney quietly.

“What?” asked Wyatt, turning his head towards his sister. But Sydney was already running into the house. Moments later, she was back outside, and had not even noticed whether Buzz was still around, or whether her mother arrived home. Sydney ran towards her brother, armed with something in her hand. As she came closer, Wyatt saw it was a magnifying glass.

“Cool!” said Wyatt with a smile, ready for anything spy-related. But he still had to ask, “What’s that for?”

“My friend Brian said that an ant burn up into flames if you hold a magnifying glass over it,” said Sydney.

“Let’s see if he’s right,” stated Wyatt, thinking this was a very smart suggestion. So they tilted the magnifying glass back and forth and attempted to track a single ant in the mob. But it was too hard. Those little buggers were fast. Then they tried to isolate out a single ant on Sydney’s hand while Wyatt tried to fry it, but as soon as the ant was scooped up, he grew so frantic that it was impossible to keep up with him. When Wyatt tried to hold him down, the ant finally fell off of Sydney’s small hands, probably relieved to follow pheromones once again.

“This is so hard,” Wyatt said through gritted teeth. Then he kicked the ant hill. The soft brown sandy earth transformed into a swarm of erupting ants. Instant chaos took over on that little sidewalk square.

“Wyatt!” Sydney loudly whined. “You’re screwing everything up!” She tried to pull away the magnifying glass but Wyatt held on tightly. So she pushed him back until he loosened his grip and yanked the magnifying glass away. Wyatt instantly exploded in loud tears.

But over the tears, both the kids heard Buzz burst out of the front door of their house. He stomped down the walkway and around the front lawn. Both kids watched Buzz come closer and Wyatt’s tears even halted as he watched, confused as to why Buzz walked like there was poop in his pants whenever he was angry. Buzz passed the cylindrical barrel of Morton salt tossed absent-mindedly on the grass. And as he neared the kids, he squinted to get a closer look at the knocked-over ant hill. When he finally stopped in front of Wyatt and Sydney, Wyatt resumed the crying.

“Come here you…” he growled. He roughly grabbed the corner of both of their T-shirts at the shoulder, and carried them back inside. This annoyed both kids, because they were willing to follow him inside without being hooked by Buzz’s fists, but they didn’t dare object.

Buzz pulled out two wooden chairs from the kitchen table and plopped the kids down. Then Buzz himself squatted down and looked at both of them intently.

“Now you two think about what you did,” he said seriously. Sydney nodded. Wyatt shot a glance at Sydney and then looked back at Buzz and then nodded too.

Buzz went back outside to pick up the salt and he gave a half glance at the garden that had more than one upside-down snail shell. He also tried to arrange the ant hill into somewhat of a cone and brushed off a few ants that accidentally clambered up onto his hand. Buzz came back into the kitchen, slammed the salt on the counter, glared at the two kids, and huffed. Although there was no need to single them out of a crowd, he pointed at Sydney and Wyatt, and reiterated himself, “You two stay there and think about what you did.”

He stormed off. You could barely hear the buzz of the game he was watching behind the closed door. Wyatt and Sydney didn’t say anything and they both looked down at their laps. What did Buzz do outside? It really doesn’t take that long to pick up a salt container. Was it really that big of a deal that Sydney accidentally dropped the salt that she used that morning? Wyatt pouted. He tried to remember what happened, and built up in his head how hard his sister had pushed him, and how she yelled at him. She always acted like he did everything wrong. Just because he was younger. She was the worst sister in the world. It wasn’t fair that he had to sit there too. But wait, then why did he have to sit there too?

A few minutes later, interrupting their thoughts, Buzz came out and said, “Now did you two think about what you did?”

“Yes, Buzz,” Sydney said quietly.

“I couldn’t hear you.”

Sydney cleared her throat from her few minutes of silence. “Yes, Buzz,” she said again.

Buzz turned his head towards Wyatt. “Yes, Buzz,” Wyatt said automatically.

More calmly now, Buzz stood up and said, “Okay y’all. Now go on. Be nice kids.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom