• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Case against Sony for OtherOS removal dismissed

USD

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/12/09/42126.htm

A federal judge has dismissed the remaining claim by class who said Sony reneged on its promise to let PlayStation 3 video game consoles function as computers.

Sony said the console was designed so users could "play games, watch movies, view videos, listen to music and run a full-featured Linux operating system that transforms your PS3 into a home computer," according to the class complaint filed in April 2010.

Lead plaintiff Anthony Ventura says he bought a Playstation 3 instead of the Microsoft Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii because Sony's system offered this Linux feature, even though "the PS3 was substantially more expensive."

In March 2010, Sony announced on its website that its latest software update for the PS3 would no longer support Linux. PS3 owners who wanted to sign onto the PS3 Network to play games online or use their PS3 to play Blu-ray discs would have to download the software update, the class claimed. But the update would disable their Linux capability, forcing them to choose between using Linux or the PS3's other features.

To the frustration of many PS3 owners, the class said Sony disabled PS3's much-hyped OtherOS operating system installer after a hacker "jailbroke" a PS3.

The "jailbreak" prodded Sony to swiftly release a software update disabling OtherOS and frustrating PS3 owners, the complaint said.

In February, U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg dismissed most of the class claims with leave to amend, finding the plaintiffs failed to state a claim.

"While it cannot be concluded as a matter of law at this juncture that Sony could, without legal consequence, force its customers to choose either to forego installing the software update or to lose access to the other OS feature, the present allegations of the complaint largely fail to state a claim," Seeborg wrote in February. "Accordingly, with the exception of one count, the motion to dismiss will be granted, with leave to amend."

Seeborg granted Sony's motion to dismiss the remaining claim Thursday under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

Seeborg found the plaintiffs could not prove that they had a right to expect the OS feature beyond Sony's warranty period or continued access to the Playstation Network (PSN).

"The dismay and frustration at least some PS3 owners likely experienced when Sony made the decision to limit access to the PSN service to those who were willing to disable the Other OS feature on their machines was no doubt genuine and understandable. As a matter of providing customer satisfaction and building loyalty, it may have been questionable," Seeborg wrote.

"As a legal matter, however, plaintiffs have failed to allege facts or articulate a theory on which Sony may be held liable," he continued.

mik83kuu

Banned
Good. Now people can focus on healing.

donut-pillow.jpg

This sets a troubling precedent for companies reneging on promised features in their closed systems. I'd be okay with the ruling if consumers had the legal right to install their own third-party firmwares, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth (as right as the judge may be).

Unfortunate.

Cements that a company can lobotomise a feature from your privately-owned property if it is in their corporate interests.

Very unfortunate. I was very-much hoping to see Sony punished heavily for what they had done, if only to deter such an anticonsumer move from happening again.

Well done Sony, you pulled off something despicable and got away with it.

While the feature was relatively useless for most people cutting it for "security reasons" was crap considering the state of the PS3 hacking scene with its removal.

I disagree with the choice, how much could sony cut considering these new laws, blu-ray movie playback? dlc support ect

JJD

Well, you had the option to keep OtherOS on your PS3 if you wished. You just wouldn't be allowed to log on PSN.

eastmen

Banned
PS3 is officaly the last Sony product I ever buy.

Hopefully the Class action will be submited again with a better foundation

Shiloa

What Seeborg says is right though. It's a questionable decision for customer satisfaction and loyalty, but not a legal one. If it affected you, show it with your wallet.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Unfortunate.

Cements that a company can lobotomise a feature from your privately-owned property if it is in their corporate interests.

Very unfortunate. I was very-much hoping to see Sony punished heavily for what they had done, if only to deter such an anticonsumer move from happening again.

Well done Sony, you pulled off something despicable and got away with it.

You might own the system but Sony still owns PSN which does let u play online for free. You did have the choice to not update. It's well within Sonys right to remove a feature that they deem is a security risk.

Suairyu

Banned
Well, you had the option to keep OtherOS on your PS3 if you wished. You just wouldn't be allowed to log on PSN.
Or play the latest games. It wasn't an option at all and people should stop calling it such. The choice was "either lose the advertised OtherOS or make your PS3 useless for playing games released from now".

What constitutes a claim?
I'd like to know this too. Judge says no good claim has been made as to why Sony wasn't within their legal rights to remove a product you already bought from them. I'm quite surprised, even by the US's typically pro-consumer courts. It seems like such a black and white case to me.

You might own the system but Sony still owns PSN which does let u play online for free. You did have the choice to not update. It's well within Sonys right to remove a feature that they deem is a security risk.

Or play any new games that require the update. If you keep OtherOS, you are excluded from a substantial number of blockbusters now I believe.

Consider: A customer buys a product with features A + B + C.

Why is it right that some time into the lifespan of the product, for the manufacturer to dictate "you can have features A + B or feature C but not all three any more"? Especially when such a choice is being forced not because of your best interests, but because of the financial concerns of a megacorporation?

How is this in any way defensible?

Aeana

This would only stand up if you could play PS3 games without updating the PS3, too. It isn't just about PSN access.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Or play any new games that require the update. If you keep OtherOS, you are excluded from a substantial number of blockbusters now I believe.

Consider: A customer buys a product with features A + B + C.

Why is it right that some time into the lifespan of the product, for the manufacturer to dictate "you can have features A + B or feature C but not all three any more"? Especially when such a choice is being forced not because of your best interests, but because of the financial concerns of a megacorporation?

How is this in any way defensible?

Thats how.

Ploid 3.0

Blue pill or Red pill. The people chose, some chose to keep OtherOS. If otheros really was a big deal to the person they could get a second gaming system (there are a lot of options out there).

Can you really not play newer games if you don't update? I have trouble believing they would do that... what about people with no internet access?

JJD

Or play the latest games. It wasn't an option at all and people should stop calling it such. The choice was "either lose the advertised OtherOS or make your PS3 useless for playing games released from now".

Really???? That's not something I can support...

Zomba13

Can you really not play newer games if you don't update? I have trouble believing they would do that... what about people with no internet access?

If it's anything like the Wii then the updates are on the disc and the game wont start unless you update.

Takao

Banned

The discs have the update on them. If you haven't update via the internet, you'd be asked to update by inserting the disc. Sony's done that with the PSP since 2004, and the PS3 since 2006.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd like to know this too. Judge says no good claim has been made as to why Sony wasn't within their legal rights to remove a product you already bought from them. I'm quite surprised, even by the US's typically pro-consumer courts. It seems like such a black and white case to me.

That's a very... convenient restatement of the case.

Suairyu

Banned
Or let's put it in even simpler terms!

Two advertised features of the PS3 that became contractual obligations on the part of SONY the moment you paid for the product (goods must always function as advertised at the time of sale):

- The ability to play PS3 games
- The ability to install OtherOS

Then they say, years later, they are going to remove one and you get to pick.

It's a really clear-cut case of failure to provide purchased goods as advertised. I honestly don't know how it's possible for a judge to fuck up and see it as anything else.

That's a very... convenient restatement of the case.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the word 'convenient' in the context you used it. Unless you mean in the literal sense in which case thank you and you're welcome to use that restatement for your own purposes.

Kyoufu

Two advertised features of the PS3 that became contractual obligations on the part of SONY the moment you paid for the product (goods must always function as advertised at the time of sale):

It's a really clear-cut case of failure to provide purchased goods as advertised. I honestly don't know how it's possible for a judge to fuck up and see it as anything else.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the word 'convenient' in the context you used it. Unless you mean in the literal sense in which case thank you and you're welcome to use that restatement for your own purposes.

They advertised OtherOS? I had no idea.

Zomba13

Maybe change that to 'play the latest PS3 games' as you can still play PS3 games if you have OtherOS still, just not recent ones.

Suairyu

Banned
Maybe change that to 'play the latest PS3 games' as you can still play PS3 games if you have OtherOS still, just not recent ones.
If you cannot play all officially released PS3 games, your ability to play PS3 games has been impaired, thus SONY cannot claim to be fulfilling their obligation to provide a product that plays PS3 games.

This isn't a complicated concept.

They advertised OtherOS? I had no idea.
Erm, yes? How else would people have known about it? It wasn't like some super-secret easter egg that people discovered upon buying it where previously the world had no idea.

Also, even if it was a super-secret easter egg, the fact it was there at the time of purchase means (unless SONY could show it was an unintentional inclusion and they have good reason to remove it) it falls under 'as advertised' and 'as sold'.

ITT, being a despicable company is somehow against the law.

They had every right to alter the ps3 software. You agree to it each time you update. And you have every right to refuse.

Danny Dudekisser

Where was OtherOS advertised, anyway?

And I meant convenient as in, it was a restatement that skewed the facts to benefit your non-argument.

Emitan

ITT, being a despicable company is somehow against the law.

They had every right to alter the ps3 software. You agree to it each time you update. And you have every right to refuse.

So what if Windows gave you the choice of being able to run games or have internet access or something like that? You'd be fine with it? You paid for a product, and then parts of the product are forcibly taken from you?

panty

If you cannot play all officially released PS3 games, your ability to play PS3 games has been impaired, thus SONY cannot claim to be fulfilling their obligation to provide a product that plays PS3 games.

Erm, yes? How else would people have known about it? It wasn't like some super-secret easter egg that people discovered upon buying it where previously the world had no idea.

Also, even if it was a super-secret easter egg, the fact it was there at the time of purchase means (unless SONY could show it was an unintentional inclusion and they have good reason to remove it) it falls under 'as advertised' and 'as sold'.

Just wondering, how many times did you use the otherOS feature?

Suairyu

Banned
Where was OtherOS advertised, anyway?
See above.

And I meant convenient as in, it was a restatement that skewed the facts to benefit your non-argument.
True or false: in America there are laws against false advertising?

If true, I have not skewed the facts at all.

Just wondering, how many times did you use the otherOS feature?
Not once, but how is that relevant at all?

ShdwDrake

Banned

Like I posted above. OtherOS was not an advertised feature.

Kyoufu

It was adverticed in the sense that they mentioned that the PS3 had this feature. But i never saw it mentioned in commercials or anything like that. The feature isnt even mentioned on the 60GB PS3 box.

EDIT: Already mentioned :)

So basically, it wasn't advertised. Gotcha.

Suairyu

Banned
It was adverticed in the sense that they mentioned that the PS3 had this feature. But i never saw it mentioned in commercials or anything like that. The feature isnt even mentioned on the 60GB PS3 box.
If I say an apple has a diamond for its core, but don't make a TV commercial about it or put it on a box containing the apple, I'm still obligated to provide that diamond core if you then purchase that apple on the understanding it has one else I am obligated instead to give you a full refund.

So basically, it wasn't advertised. Gotcha.
Advertised =/= put in trailers or written on a box. If you, as a company, make a statement about the product (and SONY stated OtherOS was a feature), that counts.

Danny Dudekisser

See above.

True or false: in America there are laws against false advertising?

If true, I have not skewed the facts at all.

Not once, but how is that relevant at all?

See above as in... the post that confirms that it was not advertised anywhere on the box?

And you have skewed the facts to make it look like there's false advertising present here when there is not.

test_account

XP-39C²
So what if Windows gave you the choice of being able to run games or have internet access or something like that? You'd be fine with it? You paid for a product, and then parts of the product are forcibly taken from you?
If "something like that" was a feature that i never used and i had agreed to the terms of service that features could be changed or removed, then i probably wouldnt have cared much about it. But this just what i would have done though, someone else might have reacted differently.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seeborg found the plaintiffs could not prove that they had a right to expect the OS feature beyond Sony's warranty period or continued access to the Playstation Network (PSN).

"The dismay and frustration at least some PS3 owners likely experienced when Sony made the decision to limit access to the PSN service to those who were willing to disable the Other OS feature on their machines was no doubt genuine and understandable. As a matter of providing customer satisfaction and building loyalty, it may have been questionable," Seeborg wrote.

"As a legal matter, however, plaintiffs have failed to allege facts or articulate a theory on which Sony may be held liable," he continued.

Yeah... this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Don't like the precedent this sets at all.

Top Bottom