• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most shocking news story in all your days as a gamer...

ScOULaris

It seems like the SHOCKING NEWS disclaimer is used only an ironic capacity around these parts, but I want this thread to be about legitimately surprising developments in the gaming industry. My interest in games started during the NES era (late 80's/early 90's), so I've been present for all sorts of major happenings in our young industry. I lived through the greatest console war of all time (SNES/Genesis), Sony's bold entrance into the gaming market, the Nintendoomed years of N64 and GC, the birth of the fighting game arcade scene, the slow and painful demise of arcades a decade later, the early days of PC game modding and its staggering growth, the awkward transitional phase of early 3D game development, Square merging with Enix, Microsoft buying Rare, Sony's world domination with the success of the PS2, FF7 bringing JRPG's into the mainstream limelight, births of countless IP's the continue to be relevant to this day... the list could go on and on.

But the news story that I'll never forget reading in an issue of EGM was Sega's decision to get out of hardware and the Dreamcast ceasing production.

sega_dreamcast.jpg

Being that I was only in ninth grade at the time, I mustn't have been following gaming news closely enough to have seen the writing on the wall. While I often frequented the gaming sites of the time, online gaming news wasn't as ubiquitous and up-to-the-minute as it is today. It wasn't until reading the January (or maybe February) 2001 issue of EGM that I found out Sega was ceasing production of the Dreamcast and exiting the hardware market altogether. My ignorance toward Sega's financial problems with the Dreamcast made the news all the more surprising, and what was even more difficult for me to comprehend at the time was the idea of there being no more Sega consoles in the market. Since I was born (1986), Sega and Nintendo had always been the major players, with Sony being the wildly successful new upstart. The 32-bit generation had mainly consisted of consoles from Nintendo, Sony, and Sega, and I had never even considered the possibility of that changing after the release of the PS2.

The article also went on to speculate about Sega characters like Sonic starting to appear on other consoles now that they would not be bound to Sega hardware. That notion blew my mind at the time as well. Sonic and Mario in the same game? Impossibru! Kids nowadays probably play Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games and think nothing of it, but those two characters sharing the screen was unthinkable before Sega quietly stepped away from the console race.

Knowing more about the situation now, I can clearly see why Sega had little choice but to back out when they did. It's unfortunate because the Dreamcast was arguably their best console since the Genesis (or perhaps ever), but Sony's PS2 and Microsoft's impending entry into the console wars really did muscle out the straightforward gaming machine that was the Dreamcast. But looking back, the Dreamcast's demise and Sega's shift to being software-only was the most shocking news story of my gaming life.

What news story was the most shocking for you? Good or bad, try to think of happenings/announcements/mergers/demises or other pivotal moments in the industry that left a lasting impression on you.

Chopper

I still remember the evening I discovered that the Nintendo Revolution was offically going to be named "Wii"

It's a name I came to terms with easily and naturally, but at the time, I was all like :O

Bentendo

Probably the announcement of the Nintendo DS. I simply did not get it at the time and thought Nintendo had gone nuts. Several years later the DS has become my favorite system of all time with a personal library of almost 70 games.

Oh, and:

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060510104822196.jpg

Zafir

+1 here too for SEGA leaving the hardware business.

Loved my Dreamcast, was absolutely gutted when I found out they were ending it.

Coxy

definitely dreamcasts death, didnt see it coming at all, seemed like an exceedingly good launch and everyone at college was playing soul calibur and excited for shenmue

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, Dreamcast was in a fair amount of trouble, it's sales weren't great (outside of the spectacular launch), they got a huge cash infusion from their CEO *after* the system launched, Sega was hyping up a hail mary to give away the system with a SegaNet purchase (it was on the cover of Next Gen), and PS2 was getting ready to go. It wasn't surprising.

Death of Gunpei Yokoi would be my pick.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Actually, more shocking for me was the announcement that Bernie Stolar was leaving Sega just a month before the Dreamcast launched in the US. I was totally on board the Sega hype train and that sudden announcement seemed pretty significant at the time. Their exit from the hardware market was just as shocking, of course.

Lebron

Final Fantasy XIII on 360

I can still hear them, you know. The cries of agony and betrayal from the ones who said it would never happen.

ElFly

Sega ceasing the dreamcast production and going third party.

Hell, I remember where I was when I read about it, in a company incubator in college passing time between shifts of supporting the incubated companies.

Flavius

OP nailed it for me.

And while gaming is still a hell of a lot of fun, I still feel that my perception of the industry, as a gamer and consumer, permanently changed as a result of that.

Cheech

$599

The Sega thing did not especially shock me. They were hell bent on making big budget niche titles for that system. While I loved my Dreamcast (still have it!) and bought tons of games for it, them exiting did not blow me away.

Not like $599 did. It was the most unapologetic statement of arrogance I have ever seen in this industry.

What I did not figure at the time, however, is how it was the harbinger of poor decision making for Sony. At $599, you needed killer apps. A few killer apps, actually. So then why in the name of God do you put God of War 2 on the PS2, not hold Polyphony or Guerrilla to any kind of release window whatsoever (and don't get them obviously needed help to finish those games to boot), give SOCOM to a complete hack squad, and the list goes on. Sony really needed a Gears or Halo to jump out ahead of Microsoft, and they never, ever got it.

And that's just on the console side. The handheld side has its own list of jokes.

$599. That shocked me more than anything to come out of gaming.

SmokyDave

You got mine, OP. The death of Sega. I haven't had any emotional investment in the games biz since that day :(

I know they didn't technically 'die', but they might as well have.

Most of the big ones have been listed here but I was pretty shocked when Sony announced their intention to join the handheld gaming space. Pre-launch hype for the PSP was so glorious!

ScOULaris

It's pretty funny how Square has been "traitorous" twice now with their cash-cow series, switching from Nintendo consoles to Sony and then from Sony exclusive to multiplatform (ignoring Nintendo). The first switch was shocking to a lot of people, but when the FFXIII announcement hit the Internet allowed everyone to come together to share their grief/outrage. The meltdowns were truly legendary.

Bisonian

For me, it's weird to think about it now but the Square-Enix merger was quite the jaw dropper. It's much more common place now but things like that just didn't happen back in that time period. The thought of the two legendary companies teaming up was pretty exciting at the time.

Top Bottom