• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS Vita Units Have Freezing and Touch Screen Issues

obonicus

[Nintex];33646164 said:
So these people are calling the technical help line for no reason?

lol Sony PR.

Uh,what's written there is that Sony is not apologizing for widespread Vita issues (because according to them they don't exist). They're apologizing for people being unable to reach the help line.

Derrick01

Banned
BRTky.jpg

What's with this one? Why does he kinda look like neil degrasse tyson? (who is awesome by the way)

[Nintex];33646164 said:
So these people are calling the technical help line for no reason?

lol Sony PR.

Considering Sony have more active platforms on the market than any other, its in the middle of the holiday season and that even if someones Vita isn't frozen . . .they still might call up to clarify a few points like setting up a PSN ID etc. . .its not all that unusual. They'll get all of the PSN calls, PS3 specific issues, PS2 issues, PSP issues and then the additional PS Vita issues all going to the same centre. Of course there are issues with some Vita's. There is always problems with any hardware launch.

Vita has an entirely new custom OS. For a lot of people, that might be difficult to navigate/understand/configure.

It always boggles my mind how people buy into FUD/anecdotal evidence like this, there are seriously people who believe to this day that launch PSPs had a high defect rate which was complete bullshit based on nothing at all. That or they overblew how "Awful" a dead pixel was.

Binabik15

It always boggles my mind how people buy into FUD/anecdotal evidence like this, there are seriously people who believe to this day that launch PSPs had a high defect rate which was complete bullshit based on nothing at all. That or they overblew how "Awful" a dead pixel was.

Hey, my dead pixel was annoying! There were people with over a dozen dead pixels, which is just awful. They could send it in, of course.

Some kind of fuck-up with launch hardware is to be expected, I hope the most obvious kinks are gone for the EU launch. That and the first party games hopefully being improved is the only thing that stops me from going over import shop offers.

Curufinwe

A dead pixel can be awful depending on it's location.

patsu

Safe to say it's okay to wait on the revision?

Not at all.

If it's a software/firmware issue, it doesn't matter if you wait or not. The revision -- if it's a major change -- can have new bugs together with new features too.

The best course of action is just to wait for Sony to patch the stated problems. The reported issues may or may not be widespread.

JGS

Banned
Kotaku has a tendency to over sensationalize their stories. Mountains out of molehills and all that.
The must have over sensationalized their love for Vita too.

I don't see how freezing of any kind is minor even if most aren't affected and it seems others are reporting it.

patsu

The must have over sensationalized their love for Vita too.

I don't see how freezing of any kind is minor even if most aren't affected and it seems others are reporting it.

I think it's the way they report it that gives the impressions that the issues are more serious than they are.

Other consumer devices have freezing issues too. Hope they all patch up their holes quickly.

Launch Issues? I'm staying to get Muffin's take on this!

Speaking of Kotaku, they really do fish for hits. I stumbled on an article stating the digital Vita games took longer to load. I found it curious and they showed a youtube video that did a comparison and the difference was one took .5 seconds longer to load. hahaha

x3sphere

No issues with the Vita and I've been messing around with it for like the past 5 hours now. Though, my PS3 did freeze for some reason when I booted it up with the Vita connected... haven't tried that again.

have what? you guys should describe what people are looking at in this image.

I'm assuming dead pixels/burn out? Is that a prevalent problem? I was reading about OLEDs...is it maybe this (from Wikipedia)?

UV sensitivity
OLED displays can be damaged by prolonged exposure to UV light. The most pronounced example of this can be seen with a near UV laser (such as a Bluray pointer) and can damage the display almost instantly with more than 20 mW leading to dim or dead spots where the beam is focused. This is usually avoided by installing a UV blocking filter over the panel and this can easily be seen as a clear plastic layer on the glass. Removal of this filter can lead to severe damage and an unusable display after only a few months of room light exposure.

Although I'm assuming the Vita screen has the protective film (I'd need one for the touch screen, right? Or is that a wholly different type of screen. Am I confused?!)

Chao

Trying to guess what will be the issue with new hardware it's always amusing to me. I didn't know about the oled shapes, but it looks like a bigger problem than system freezes.

Top Bottom