• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita designed by original Walkman creator, had slider, and clamshell form factors

Takao

Banned
The US PlayStation Blog posted "Five Things We Learned At The Japan PS Vita Launch", and in it they find Takashi Sogabe who's been working at Sony for nearly 30 years, and in fact designed the original Walkman. He also lets it go that the team at Sony had Vita in slider, and clamshell form factors before settling on what they call "the super oval". The blog promises a full interview with Mr. Sogabe in the next year.

The slider design isn't surprising given this was one of the early devkits:

cExVy.jpg

UPDATE:

Full interview posted.

Ultima_5

I like the route they went for instead. More sturdy.

Also good to see these guys still sticking around designing stuff.

theBishop

Banned
I hope they do a slider in a few years after a die shrink. It's the most convenient form factor in my opinion.

But it'll probably have to be thick to make room for the sticks. I wouldn't want to go back to psp/3ds style nubs.

A slider form factor would have looked better, and retractable buttons/pads would have made it easier to position Vita as an iDevice competitor, whereas the current design makes that basically impossible. I'm not sure the latter was ever a goal for Sony anyway, though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not a fan of the slider idea at all, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted a unit like the one in the photo. Not all of us have the hands of a 13yr old girl.

The the psp GO's design is terrible compared to the original. I am glad they went with something that's closer to the PSP and is actually good instead of terrible like the GO.

Grimmy

Banned
The PSP Go was a terrible form factor. Cramped, hard-to-reach L/R buttons, awful d-pad. I have zero idea why people are so gaga over it. I'm very happy the Vita has its current look right now.

jett

D-Member
Would've preferred a slider/clamshell design myself, for better portability. If I owned a Vita I have no idea where I would put it if I went out with it.

Slider wouldn't have had room for raised analog sticks, we'd been stuck with those terrible sliding nubs again like on psp.

I'm glad they went for the current design, gives you something to grip, clamshell should be called crampshell.

BadWolf

The the psp GO's design is terrible compared to the original. I am glad they went with something that's closer to the PSP and is actually good instead of terrible like the GO.

Same.

Always liked the original PSP's design and Vita looks even better.

Also, the 1:1 back and front touch wouldn't have worked with the slider design.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I prefer what they have now, having proper (or as close as were going to get on a potable) analog sticks makes a whole lot of difference to me than some sort of stingy small pad, but I have also never been a fan of slider phones and have always preferred candybar like designs.

The less that can be moved and worn out from general use the better imo.

How would the back touch pad work with a slider form?

I can't imagine it would have, at least not in any sort of even slightly comfortable manner.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
A slider form factor would have looked better, and retractable buttons/pads would have made it easier to position Vita as an iDevice competitor, whereas the current design makes that basically impossible. I'm not sure the latter was ever a goal for Sony anyway, though.
But it would make implementing sticks and back-panel nearly impossible. So unless you prefer the sliders (well at least Nintendo's, if you're sensible) and think the back-panel has almost no value then you'll be grateful for the current model.

Funnily enough though, if it wasn't for the slider model's overheating issues, we'd probably not be getting both of those features today. Even Yoshida said the back-panel was added much later, and was about to be chopped at one point if it wasn't for his insistence.

gogojira

I don't know, I'm not even that interested in the Vita but I find the final for much better than that slider or a clamshell would have been. If nothing else, the Vita looks ridiculously slick which is par for the course for Sony (well, except for the ugly PS3).

Gravijah

But it would make implementing sticks and back-panel nearly impossible. So unless you prefer the sliders (well at least Nintendo's, if you're sensible) and think the back-panel has almost no value then you'll be grateful for the current model.

i need an unbiased comparison of the slidepad vs vita analog sticks. :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nice to see Sony using Sony Electronics guys to design Playstation devices these guys are the best, PS systems used to look like cheap fisher price toys so it's good move from them.

Hope they hire Sony Electronics guys for PS4 too.

The slider design isn't surprising given this was one of the early devkits:

cExVy.jpg

*vomit* This thing is ugly as sin.

Also it will sucks since the sticks look garbage like the Go/PSP ones.( and I think it will not work with the touchpad)

Opiate

I like the slider design. It looks like it can actually fit in my pocket and/or be portable, which is a very big deal to me -- one of my biggest reasons for trepidation regarding the vita is its size.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Re: Slider design,

Had Sony went with that design, how much bulkier would the Vita if they left all the hardware specs of the final model intact?

i need an unbiased comparison of the slidepad vs vita analog sticks. :(
Seriously.

I've asked, like, 5 times in various threads. Everyone seems to love to dodge the question... Either that or they have me on ignore. :(

PJFJosh

Yeah, while the slider is a decent concept, people would have complained up and down about slide-pads instead of proper thumbsticks... and I'd probably be one of them.

This also would have made the idea of front and rear touch a bit of a no go as it would be awkward to reach up to that screen along with a mental disconnect between the 1 to 1 back touch screen response.

That's why this was just a concept and it didn't become the final product...

Top Bottom