• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita designed by original Walkman creator, had slider, and clamshell form factors

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, I kind of feel like the Go was pretty much a triumph in design. The right size, the right weight, the sliding looked great, two colours. Significantly better industrial design than either the Vita or any of the prior PSP models. I'm sure there were engineering challenges as well as design ones leading them to use the brick design in the end, but it's a pity.

Brinbe

Yeah, I kind of feel like the Go was pretty much a triumph in design. The right size, the right weight, the sliding looked great, two colours. Significantly better industrial design than either the Vita or any of the prior PSP models. I'm sure there were engineering challenges as well as design ones leading them to use the brick design in the end, but it's a pity.
Agreed, totally loved that. And disappointed they didn't follow up on that with the Vita

[Nintex];33698495 said:
That looked so awesome and futuristic, between the Wii U, 3DS and Vita I'm kinda dissapointed in the next-gen hardware designs.

It is a slick concept, but really, it isn't functional at all.

After using the go I can't possibly agree with that statement. It might look good in a photo but from the practical stand point of actually having to hold a physical object in your hands, it's not a good design.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
While I love my GO I am glad they didn't go with that design for the Vita.

Most interesting thing from that article:

"He also said that he originally wanted the exterior to be entirely metallic but that proved impossible due to the antennae required for the Wi-Fi and 3G connections."'

At least they didn't have to worry about dropped calls.

Acrylic7

No, but that's no dualshock.

Judging by the size of the guys hands , you clearly see that the bottom pad is about the exact same size as a Dualshocks face (button area). So imagine the face of the Dualshock on this thing.

Its not cramped at all. Especially since they are using smaller buttons.

[Nintex];33698495 said:
That looked so awesome and futuristic, between the Wii U, 3DS and Vita I'm kinda dissapointed in the next-gen hardware designs.

futuristic, but completely unplayable.

it's a good proof of concept: a starting point, not a finishing line.

[Nintex]

°°ToMmY°°;33698693 said:
futuristic, but completely unplayable.

it's a good proof of concept: a starting point, not a finishing line.

But there's nothing exciting about console/handheld design with the 3DS, Vita and Wii U. They all look pretty much the same as their earlier versions but 'bigger'.

Opiate

Yeah, while the slider is a decent concept, people would have complained up and down about slide-pads instead of proper thumbsticks... and I'd probably be one of them.

This also would have made the idea of front and rear touch a bit of a no go as it would be awkward to reach up to that screen along with a mental disconnect between the 1 to 1 back touch screen response.

That's why this was just a concept and it didn't become the final product...

You can't have everything at once, though. The cost of this choice is that the system can't be a slider, and the cost of that is the system is much larger than it otherwise would be.

Now, if I want to take my theoretical Vita around, I have to carry a sack/backpack. It's a portable system that is only marginally portable. That's a big deal for many people, including me.

Takao

Banned

Sony probably doesn't want to associate Vita with PSPgo, and using the slider design would inherently do that. As well, there was reportedly heating issues with the slider style. That said, I'm almost 100% positive we'll see a sliding device made by Sony with Vita's stuff in it.

royalan

[Nintex];33698713 said:
But there's nothing exciting about console/handheld design with the 3DS, Vita and Wii U. They all look pretty much the same as their earlier versions but 'bigger'.

Agreed. The 3DS is especially ugly these days which is sad, because I loved that design when it debuted with the slim DS. But design standards have shifted.

I'd like this PSP slider better if the buttons weren't so cramped together. They need to be as close to the edges as possible for maximum space. Because as a tall man with large hands, just looking at that concept is making my fingers cramp.

The US PlayStation Blog posted "Five Things We Learned At The Japan PS Vita Launch", and in it they find Takashi Sogabe who's been working at Sony for nearly 30 years, and in fact designed the original Walkman. He also lets it go that the team at Sony had Vita in slider, and clamshell form factors before settling on what they call "the super oval". The blog promises a full interview with Mr. Sogabe in the next year.

The slider design isn't surprising given this was one of the early devkits:

cExVy.jpg

I've always thought that they should've slapped android on as the OS and made a phone version using this form factor. Here's hoping to that still happening as that's the only way I'm interested in getting a gaming handheld now.

[Nintex];33698713 said:

when humanity will grow a third hand i'm sure designers will be able to change form factor of handheld devices.

[Nintex]

°°ToMmY°°;33698997 said:
when humanity will grow a third hand i'm sure designers will be able to change form factor of handheld devices.

Just look at smartphones, despite a few iPhone clones there are still many interesting designs popping up. I love the color style that Nokia's using for their new line. I've also seen some really sleek ultrabooks pop-up and the new Samsung monitors are very sleek in design. There's a lot of ways to design a device and to change the casing without having to change the actual functionality.

Tuck

Analog nubs look very small. And it looks quite ugly. I'm glad they ended up with how the Vita looks now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sony probably doesn't want to associate Vita with PSPgo, and using the slider design would inherently do that. As well, there was reportedly heating issues with the slider style. That said, I'm almost 100% positive we'll see a sliding device made by Sony with Vita's stuff in it.

how will the rear touchpad work with slider design?they need to keep it behind the screen no? I think that will be the major problem.

also having to downgrade the real sticks (if they go slider) for some other inferior alternatives will be really bad imho since that one of the big good things about Vita.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The US PlayStation Blog posted "Five Things We Learned At The Japan PS Vita Launch", and in it they find Takashi Sogabe who's been working at Sony for nearly 30 years, and in fact designed the original Walkman. He also lets it go that the team at Sony had Vita in slider, and clamshell form factors before settling on what they call "the super oval". The blog promises a full interview with Mr. Sogabe in the next year.

The slider design isn't surprising given this was one of the early devkits:

cExVy.jpg

Looks terrible.

I would have GREATLY preferred a clamshell design. Nothing turns me off on a handheld more than having to have a bulky case to carry it around in. Clamshell=throw it in your pocket.

diffusionx

Gold Member
IIRC, they were going to go with the slider but had to scrap it because the systems were overheating. Does anyone else remember those stories?

Tobor

I hope they do a slider in a few years after a die shrink. It's the most convenient form factor in my opinion.

But it'll probably have to be thick to make room for the sticks. I wouldn't want to go back to psp/3ds style nubs.

Impossible at this point. Too many games will be designed with an easily accessible touchscreen in mind. Touchable hud elements in the corners of the screen, for example.

gogogow

Impossible at this point. Too many games will be designed with an easily accessible touchscreen in mind. Touchable hud elements in the corners of the screen, for example.

Impossible because with a slider you aren't exactly touching the "back of the screen" anymore when using the touchpanel, it would make less sense when using it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Well, it works on the Xperia Play thing. As much as you could say something on that thing works. The screen would probably shrink, though, like it did on the Go (vs. the PSP). Much more challenging would be the back touch pad.

Opiate said:
You can't have everything at once, though. The cost of this choice is that the system can't be a slider, and the cost of that is the system is much larger than it otherwise would be.

My understanding is that the size of the Vita (and the shift away from the slider) was due to overheating and not just the sticks, though I'm glad they shifted to real sticks.

I don't mind a larger system. I think what you give up in "carry-abillity", you make up for in battery capacity. There's no device I could put in tailored suit pockets, so there is a real tradeoff for me.

Clamshell and sliders wouldn't work that great with the sticks they used. That said, Nintendo did a wonderful work with the 3DS. The stick is flat but it feels really good.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Clamshell and sliders wouldn't work that great with the sticks they used. That said, Nintendo did a wonderful work with the 3DS. The stick is flat but it feels really good.

I was really disappointed by the 3DS's slide pad to be honest,it's really not a good alternative to real sticks, I'd take a better control over little more portability even in a portable anytime(but that just me).

Grimmy

Banned

You really want to tell others with a straight face that you think that awful D-pad and the cramped form factor is a "triumph in design"?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is the Vita screen glass or plastic?

If it's plastic they should've went with clamshell. If it's glass then they should have went with the slider.

Always been a fan of controls under the screen on a handheld.

sakipon

They should have made Vita a clamshell design.

Oh man, they really should have. In my eyes clamshells often make things more stylish and business-like, not to even mention the easy handling. Yeah, there are exceptions to the rule, I've seen some bad clamshell cellphone designs, but the point still stands.

WillyFive

Would have been really nice to have those other designs instead. Just like the 3DS, both it and the Vita look identical to their previous generation if you have no idea what you're looking for.

Still waiting for a Vita phone with the same specs + games as vita but with 4g, ice cream sandwich and a slide out pad with proper analogs that pop-up to play and press back down to slide back in.

If/When that ever happens, I will happily dump my iPhone 4s and even switch providers if necessary.

Raonak

Banned
I quite like the current vita form factor. I think of it as a tablet rather than a smartphone.

Im not gonna carry it everywhere with me, Im gonna be taking it to uni, or when I have a long trip, or when working. etc.

Acrylic7

You really want to tell others with a straight face that you think that awful D-pad and the cramped form factor is a "triumph in design"?

Do you have one?
The Go is a great device that has a great design. Would be perfect if it was the exact same size as a regular psp with larger buttons and d-pad.

I have a Sony Xperia Play...an its the worse phone Ive ever, EVER, owned.

I really want to get id of it only after having it for the last few months but my wife wont let me yet :(

Codeblue

What I dig about clam shell designs is that I can put it in my pocket or my bag without worrying that something is going to destroy the screens. I guess I'll just get a cheap pouch or something.

Ravage

I'm ok with the slider design, but clamshell is a definite no-no. Too bad for the overheating issue, but at least the current size of the Vita allows for the use of a bigger battery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same.

Always liked the original PSP's design and Vita looks even better.

Also, the 1:1 back and front touch wouldn't have worked with the slider design.

Vita doesn't have 1:1 back touch.

Front screen is around 62mm high, rear touch pad is only 45mm tall. Side to side looks 1:1 though.

Top Bottom