• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SWTOR Player Banned for Looting Above His Level - confirmed, with a caveat.

LiK

Update 2:

Confirmed but read SWTOR's CM response.

Update:

Reddit thinks it is fake.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/nyc95/to_those_of_you_doubting_that_swtor_has_problems/

Try to even go to the site shown in the image, it doesn't exist.

EDIT: I should clarify, tos.ea.com does not redirect to ea.com

Original:

This is kinda absurd. This isn't the norm in other MMOs, is it?

rilzW.jpg

Original post: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=27375764#item_27375764

Foffy

Banned
..What? If it's intended for a certain level, was the game coded so that he couldn't enter unless he met the criteria? If so, I guess I can see why the ban took place. If not, BioWare can go fuck themselves.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wait... so the guy just went to Illum with a low level character, and proceeded to find loot/etc?

Surprised he was able to survive... but so long as he wasn't using any hacks/exploits, I don't see how the heck he should get banned. If the game allows it, and it's not obviously "against the rules", that's really unfair.

Maybe someone else can explain this a bit more clearer?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is kinda absurd. This isn't the norm in other MMOs, is it?

Having played a lot of other MMOs, this would not be the norm, unless they were actually essentially cheating doing it.

Like WoW guilds used to get banned for this usable item thingy that would make enemies in one of the high level dungeons way easier than intended before a hotfix could be delivered.

If they're just literally walking around a zone without exploiting the system, this would definitely be absurd.

I used to go into the Plaguelands at WoW's launch and get good gear back when I was still in the 40's for example without issue.

Dead Man

Yeah, unless he used a hack, this is bullshit. The reward for going to high risk areas is good loot. That is the essence of MMO/Open world gaming.

Moaradin

Illum is intended for level 50 players but I don't think it has any level requirement or anything. If not, then it's pretty fucking stupid to ban him. Should give him a warning and hotfix the planet to be level 50 only.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Found a bit more information:

"No clue what that means? You’re not alone. To clarify, you don’t get banned for going into the world. You get banned for looting anything in the zone. So you can go there and explore the area, taking in the local color. But if you dare take anything a mob drops or that is in a chest there, you get banned for “exploiting”. Low level players go to higher level world. They stealth to a place where they can “slice” things. They do so so they can get higher slicing at lower levels because higher level shit lets them slice better. That’s all that’s happening. Lower levels going to higher level zone to use better slicing equipment. For those of you not in the know, “slicing” is the same thing as “Decking” or “Creating a GUI Interface in Visual Basic to Track the Murderer’s IP Address”. "

http://www.lo-ping.org/2011/12/31/swtor-gms-banning-users-for-going-to-zones-above-their-level/

Pretty f***ing ridiculous, if I do say. I love the game, and plan to sub for a while. But that's some grade-A bullshit.

mxgt

Banned
that's fucking ridiculous

they have no right to do that, players can go wherever the hell they want

bjb

Banned
This topic has been heavily debated on both Reddit and the Official SWTOR forums. To my knowledge, it has yet to be confirmed as to whether or not it's real. It very well could be fake.

That being said, there's tons of people exploiting in the game right now, and there are -plenty- of ones I can think of off-hand that deserve more coverage.

Produce

Oh you Electronic Arts! Oh you Bioware!

They must have to fulfill a weekly quota for doing stupid shit for no good apparent reason at all.

FStop7

Banned
There has got to be something more to this. If not then I'm probably not going to keep playing. Talk about arbitrary. I won't pay $15 a month for an ongoing game of russian roulette with my account.

Dead Man

This topic has been heavily debated on both Reddit and the Official SWTOR forums. To my knowledge, it has yet to be confirmed as to whether or not it's real. It very well could be fake.

That being said, there's tons of people exploiting in the game right now, and there are -plenty- of ones I can think of off-hand that deserve more coverage.

As long as it is a PvE exploit, I don't even care about that. If someone gets something faster, I don't really care. It is the devs problem anyway if there are exploits. They exist in their game, they need to fix them, not ban people. The only time action should be taken against a player is if they screw up another player.

I wonder what happens if he complains on the EA forums..... double ban?

lol

This is a fake image, check the reddit post it came from.

Oh, disregard rant then.

hamchan

Holy crap that's a good idea actually. Since my slicing skill is like max level since it's the only profession I've been doing I might as well go around slicing high level containers if I can't afford things. Hooray for slicing not being useless!

FStop7

Banned
Holy crap that's a good idea actually. Since my slicing skill is like max level since it's the only profession I've been doing I might as well go around slicing high level containers if I can't afford things. Hooray for slicing not being useless!

BANNED.

soultron

Banned
To say that this is prerequisite knowledge is absurd. What if someone was a player new to MMOs and didn't know this unwritten rule applied?

I think it's ridiculous that a player could be punished for accessing something that could easily be restricted by proper coding. Check the player's level versus the gear requirement.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll wait for judgement/prove of non-fake before I open the can of outrage. But that would be extremely stupid if they allowed players onto the planet when they wanted it to be a certain level limit.

Dead Man

Posted yet?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/02/swtor-ilum-bans-were-real-nuanced/#more-87413
Well this is all jolly interesting. Remember the story about Star Wars: The Old Republic banning a player because he’d been to Ilum at too low a level, and been looting the containers? And remember how it looked pretty dodgy, and was probably a fake? Well here’s the thing: it wasn’t. It was real. But, as you might imagine, there were a few details missed out.

In a post to the SWTOR forums, Senior Online Community Manager, Stephen Reid, makes it clear that no one is going to get banned for visiting Ilum at a level under 40, and seeing what they can find in a container. Which is pretty much how the original story ran.

However, if a person is going to Ilum to repeatedly exploit the availability of such high level/value loot, to the point where the game’s economy becomes imbalanced, at that point BioWare say they’re going to issue a temporary ban.

More at RPS.

I agree with their conclusion, you should not punish players for playing the game. Fix the game.

Thoraxes

Yeah, I can agree with that. If you don't want exploits, fix it. The same exact thing happened in WoW with treasure chests, and that's why they were removed for an expansion.

Put a level requirement on the chests and don't make them so easily exploitable.

Right now I can sap the elite guarding it, and just take it easily.

However, if a person is going to Ilum to repeatedly exploit the availability of such high level/value loot, to the point where the game’s economy becomes imbalanced, at that point BioWare say they’re going to issue a temporary ban.

This is completely fucking absurd!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Yeah, I can agree with that.
Put a level requirement on the chests and don't make them so easily exploitable.

Right now I can sap the elite guarding it, and just take it easily.

They removed all the lockboxes and other gathering skill (I think) nodes from that area of the map. I went there earlier today to check after someone asked if they had removed them.

Won

They may as well just ban everyone who ever puts a foot on Ilum, if that's already enough for a ban.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So yeah. It's fake.

Nothing to see here, EA haters.

Pretty much. EA haters have far more productive things to do...like hating EA for the many legitimately shitty things they do.

Top Bottom