Countdown to E3 2012
Countdown to Game Developers Conference
Will update OP.
Lego City Stories Wii U gameplay is awesome -10/21/2011
THQ working on two unannounced Wii U titles -01/17/2012
Final devkits allegedly sent to developers. - 01/20/2012
Update from Nintendo's Investors meeting - 1/27/2012
- User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
- NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
- Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."
- Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
- Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
- Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
- Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
- DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
- More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
- Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
- Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
- Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."
Thank you Michan for the summary.