• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB leaks PlayStation Suite/Android versions of Syphon Filter: DM, Daxter, and flOw

Takao

Banned
Self-Promotion Source (I don't think anyone else has picked this up anyways):

PlayStation Suite support appears to be ramping up as launch grows near. The ESRB has leaked that PSP titles; Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, flOw and Daxter are heading to the service. While SCE’s support of PlayStation Suite has largely consisted of PlayStation titles, the pre-launch support has also included the Sony Tablet S optimized version of the PSP title Pinball Heroes.

daxter.png

It’s unknown when, or how much these games will cost, but the PlayStation Suite service is set to launch sometime this year on a whole host of Sony Android products, including the non-Android Vita. Hopefully SCE’s support will consist of more than just ports, as the Suite service hopes to promise PlayStation quality content on mobile devices, and while old is swell, new is better.

patsu

Cool ! But I want them on iOS. So please make PS Suite work on that platform too. And more games at a faster rate please !

Takao

Banned
Cool ! But I want them on iOS. So please make PS Suite work on that platform too. And more games at a faster rate please !

Blame Apple, not Sony for why Suite isn't going to be on iOS. They'd like for it to be on it, but Apple will say no.

matmanx1

Daxter is indeed a great game. I need Ready at Dawn to be working on a Vita title. I really hope they are or soon will be.

patsu

Blame Apple, not Sony for why Suite isn't going to be on iOS. They'd like for it to be on it, but Apple will say no.

Have they confirmed PS Suite won't be iOS compatible ? Mono works for iOS if I remember correctly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why does the ESRB have their hands in this pot?

Isn't this shit banned? It's incredibly annoying.

Have they confirmed PS Suite won't be iOS compatible ? Mono works for iOS if I remember correctly.

They're not launching these games through the android market, they're creating their own game store, much like amazon. On ios you can't create your own store, you need to sell them through the app store and in that case apple gets a 30% cut. It's not going to happen on apple devices.

patsu

°°ToMmY°°;34481255 said:
They're not launching these games through the android market, they're creating their own game store, much like amazon. On ios you can't create your own store, you need to sell them through the app store and in that case apple gets a 30% cut. It's not going to happen on apple devices.

Then tweak their model separately for iOS devices. Developers will do one for iOS anyway. Might as well be in the loop. Use embrace and extend tactics.

Massa

Then tweak their model separately for iOS devices. Developers will do one for iOS anyway. Might as well be in the loop. Use embrace and extend tactics.

The entire point of Playstation Suite is for Sony to take their 30% cut on devices other than Playstation. If Apple are the ones taking that cut it doesn't make any sense for them.

It makes no sense. They're supporting this with their own games, but they'll take a 30% cut from external devs that will publish on ps suite. On ios a 30% cut is already taken by apple. Who would launch on ps suite where they'd need to give 30% to apple and another cut to sony? They'll just develop for ios and be done with it.

This is to attract devs to android through their own store, better suited and supported for gaming than the android marketplace. With suite sony is trying to be what steam is to pc, ios is too closed of a system for something like this to happen.

patsu

The entire point of Playstation Suite is for Sony to take their 30% cut on devices other than Playstation. If Apple are the ones taking that cut it doesn't make any sense for them.

If Sony thinks PS Suite is only about 30% cut, then they are missing on the big picture. They should also make it easy or compelling for devs to use PS Suite as their dev platform.

If people think it's all about port begging, then they are also missing the point.

Apple does not take 30% cut if the transaction is done elsewhere and the product is made available on iOS for free, for instance.

Massa

If Sony thinks PS Suite is only about 30% cut, then they are missing on the big picture. They should also make it easy or compelling for devs to use PS Suite as their dev platform.

If people think it's all about port begging, then they are also missing the point.

The PS Suite dev platform is not unlike what's already available today for free. Sony might even make it easy to create builds for iOS and other Android stores, they just won't sell their games there which is what this thread is about.

You're definitely right that they should treat their developer tools the same way they do things like the Phyre Engine, which is free to use and cross platform.

bengraven

Wow, I hope the other two follow suit with something like Suite. Playing some older Rare games on Android or of course Zelda or Mario would be awesome.

he is talking about port begging.....I think...

Edit: nvm, I have him confused with someone else who used to skim the RDR threads and called out every single person who ever even put "P" and "C" and "please" together.

patsu

The PS Suite dev platform is not unlike what's already available today for free. Sony might even make it easy to create builds for iOS and other Android stores, they just won't sell their games there which is what this thread is about.

You're definitely right that they should treat their developer tools the same way they do things like the Phyre Engine, which is free to use and cross platform.

Not good enough. They should push it all the way to the end user level. e.g. Allowing us to play the game on iOS if we pay a little more on the Android and PS side.

Catering to needs already handled by free tools is ok but not quite forward thinking.

Massa

Not good enough. They should push it all the way to the end user level. e.g. Allowing us to play the game on iOS if we pay a little more on the Android and PS side.

Catering to needs already handled by free tools is ok but not quite forward thinking.

What's forward thinking is trying to secure their cut on as many devices as possible, going beyond Playstation. Selling old Playstation games for $.99 on iOS is going to do shit for them.

patsu

They don't have to only sell old games @ $0.99 if developers use PS Suite to write new iOS games. They can experiment with new models, like sell them on Android and Vita store but play on iOS platform too.

Securing their cut on other platforms without iOS is not forward thinking. People are already doing cross platform tools, with and without their own app stores. There are rumors that XBL games will run on iOS and Android too.

Takao

Banned
I wonder who Sony caters to with this. Do they target indies? or do they go after Japan and the big western studios so that they can ensure their mobile titles go on Vita?

Massa

Developers will use PS Suite tools to make iOS games and Sony will make nothing on it. They can't. No developer will want to pay both Apple and Sony on a single platform, what you're proposing is not practical.

The benefit for Sony is that a developer making an iOS game using their Mono tools will have a much easier time putting their games on the Playstation Store as well, and that's where they'll make money.

patsu

Developers will use PS Suite tools to make iOS games and Sony will make nothing on it. They can't. No developer will want to pay both Apple and Sony on a single platform, what you're proposing is not practical.

The benefit for Sony is that a developer making an iOS game using their Mono tools will have a much easier time putting their games on the Playstation Store as well, and that's where they'll make money.

Besides using free tools, some people are already paying for cross platform tools without the AppStore part. If Sony also helps to market PS Suite games, then they may be more worthwhile to work with. If they stack more iOS + Android + PS tie-in, it would be even more prominent and compelling for end users to bite.

I don't deny said benefits to Sony but they are limiting their upside and future unnecessarily.

patsu

I wonder who Sony caters to with this. Do they target indies? or do they go after Japan and the big western studios so that they can ensure their mobile titles go on Vita?

It's just a defensive move to benefit from iOS->Android port, while iOS continue to grow without benefiting Sony much. Not in any concerted ways except loose iOS->Android->PS Suite migration. It's easier for developers to write games on Sony platforms from TV to game console and mobile devices.

Massa

Besides using free tools, some people are already paying for cross platform tools without the AppStore part. If Sony also helps to market PS Suite games, then they may be more worthwhile to work with. If they stack more iOS + Android + PS tie-in, it would be even more prominent and compelling for end users to bite.

I don't deny said benefits to Sony but they are limiting their upside and future unnecessarily.

Apple will not allow Sony to sell games on iOS. For Sony there's no absolutely no difference between that platform and 3DS or Xbox 360.

They're working for SCE on a PS3 game.

Was the "for SCE" part ever confirmed? All I remember is "console game", but if they finally have a publisher that would be wonderful. RaD is one of my favorite developers.

patsu

Apple will not allow Sony to sell games on iOS. For Sony there's no absolutely no difference between that platform and 3DS or Xbox 360.

They can still release PS Suite for iOS officially to aid/accelerate development.

They can still include marketing services for iOS + Android + PS platform as a whole.

They can still introduce iOS downloads for free, either as pure demo or as paid items bought on PS Store elsewhere. Or give iOS users coupons to buy the same game on Android and PS devices. It doesn't have to be them vs us like on 3DS and 360.

Massa

They can still release PS Suite for iOS officially to aid/accelerate development.

Would be great if their tools could output an iOS game since it would attract more developers. That game would still be sold on the Appstore and make Sony no money, just like the Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls is made on the Phyre Engine and makes Sony no money.

They can still include marketing services for iOS + Android + PS platformas a whole.

I don't see how that would work for them or for a game. They barely do a good job of promoting games on their downloadable platform as it is.

They can still introduce iOS downloads for free, either as pure demo or as paid items bought on PS Store on other platforms. Or give iOS users coupons to buy the same game on Android and PS devices. It doesn't have to be them vs us like on 3DS and 360.

Because you want to? The situation is exactly the same.

patsu

Would be great if their tools could output an iOS game since it would attract more developers. That game would still be sold on the Appstore and make Sony no money, just like the Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls is made on the Phyre Engine and makes Sony no money.

I don't see how that would work for them or for a game. They barely do a good job of promoting games on their downloadable platform as it is.

Because you want to? The situation is exactly the same.

They are already in that mixed up situation because Sony is a multi-headed monster. Sony Online Entertainment sell PC games, Sony Ericsson has Xperia/Android native games, Music Unlimited is headed for iOS this quarter. They won't be able to avoid iOS forever.

They can benefit from better organization and packaging. Music Unlimited is subscription based with free demo, so it can move to iOS easily. A subscription-based game or even PS+ should be able to do the same. Focus the selling on PS and Android, allow the users to play/use on iOS.

VanWinkle

This would be awesome. I hope Daxter is cheaper on the Playstation Suite than it is on the PS Store. I bought the game on UMD around when it first came out, but sold the PSP before I finished the game, so I want to play it.

Vicglorious

Neo Member
That's pretty cool. I won't get these versions, but as someone said, Daxter is a gem and deserves more fans. I didn't like it as much as the PS2 trilogy, but Daxter is still a lot of fun and pretty unique in my opinion.

I've never played flOw personally, or Flower for that matter... which I want to get around to playing before Journey rolls around.

As for Dark Mirror, can't say I know enough about it to really say much. I know the game was very well received, but I haven't really had too much experience with the Syphon Filter series as a whole. Maybe I'll play through the series one day, but I don't know how integral story continuity is to the franchise.

Hyuga

Banned
Was the "for SCE" part ever confirmed? All I remember is "console game", but if they finally have a publisher that would be wonderful. RaD is one of my favorite developers.
No, not really. Only some "as we heard from some good sources/insiders blabla....." stuff.
But hey, better than nothing ;P

Takao

Banned
I wonder if Sony is leading up to something...

- PlayStation Move Heroes released for PS3 (2011)
- Daxter appears in Invizimals: The Lost Tribes (2011)
- Jak & Daxter HD Collection announced for PS3 (2011)
- Daxter released on Android (2012)

A lot of movement for a dead franchise...

V_Ben

Banned

Aye... I get the feeling a proper Jak 4 is closer than we think.

I heard a rumour just now that Sony are putting out an actual PlayStation phone this year. The rumour says it will use the Vita SoC and come with more RAM and be completely compatible with Vita games and will have the same form factor as the Xperia Play, but slightly larger (around 4.5"). The phone is also, apparently going to be available in non PS branding as well and will be Sony's flagship device going into the holiday season this year.

Just remember this is a rumour and not for certain, but it makes a lot of sense to me. The Vita SoC at 28nm will fit into an oversized phone (Tegra 3 is 40nm quad core, but LG and HTC are putting it into a phone before May this year) and wit PSSuite looking ready to launch Sony will want to push Vita on more than one front, making a phone version is a good way to push it. The age of the dedicated handheld is coming to an end, Sony seem to have recognised this with PSSuite, so it makes a lot of sense for them to push a phone version of their handheld.

I would buy it if they released it. Hell, I would get it as an upgrade from Vodafone when it comes due in early 2013. That's what Sony lose out on without a phone SKU for Vita, people have to actually buy it.

they even got a new model just to appear in Jak HD collection title screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Xdf2F_NBM

it may look a bit plain and simple, but that is really neat. I'm totally ok with a new Jak and Daxter Vita game that look just like that title screen.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

That necromancy,Sony originally learnt it for Vita.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I heard a rumour just now that Sony are putting out an actual PlayStation phone this year. The rumour says it will use the Vita SoC and come with more RAM and be completely compatible with Vita games and will have the same form factor as the Xperia Play, but slightly larger (around 4.5"). The phone is also, apparently going to be available in non PS branding as well and will be Sony's flagship device going into the holiday season this year.

Just remember this is a rumour and not for certain, but it makes a lot of sense to me. The Vita SoC at 28nm will fit into an oversized phone (Tegra 3 is 40nm quad core, but LG and HTC are putting it into a phone before May this year) and wit PSSuite looking ready to launch Sony will want to push Vita on more than one front, making a phone version is a good way to push it. The age of the dedicated handheld is coming to an end, Sony seem to have recognised this with PSSuite, so it makes a lot of sense for them to push a phone version of their handheld.

I would buy it if they released it. Hell, I would get it as an upgrade from Vodafone when it comes due in early 2013. That's what Sony lose out on without a phone SKU for Vita, people have to actually buy it.

And pray, what kind of dark sorcery will they use to ensure the battery life even borders on acceptable for a dual smartphone/gaming device?

Gaspode_T

If it's going to be a bunch of PSX and PS2 classics versus the indies then you would have to be a very optimistic indie to jump into that boat without a life vest on.

I am seriously thinking this will be Android only thing so I can't imagine ever having access to them on mobile, but it will be nice to have access to a XBLIG style marketplace on PS3 and Vita. If they have trophies I will be surprised (but it would be a nice pressure on MS to add them to XBLIG...)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If it's going to be a bunch of PSX and PS2 classics versus the indies then you would have to be a very optimistic indie to jump into that boat without a life vest on.

You don't think indies could compete for dollars with psx/psp titles?

Anyway, I think Sony will be contracting original content in an indie vein, to sort of establish that character on the service and prove a market for it to individuals. PSX/PSP stuff should really just be the support act, the 'catalog' stuff. I hope Sony sees it that way anyhow.

I don't think they'll have trophy support though :\

Top Bottom