• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Hunter Alliance (Vita) is $40, it's $13 on PS3

Chris_C

The title really says it all. I was really looking forward this as I'd enjoyed the PS3 version, but really, this just smacks of Ubisoft taking advantage. Let's not forget this launched as an iOS game for about $7. There are new features in the Vita version, but are they really worth an additional 33 bucks?

Waiting for Ruin (Warrior's Lair).

Thoughts?

Jonnyram

Holy shit, it's only 2400 yen in Japan, the land of crazy prices.
I'm also waiting for Warrior's Lair, but DCharlie and his wife seem to have enjoyed Alliance.

Tobor

That's what happens when a download game is sold at retail. Wait a few weeks and buy it at the price it should have been to start with.

Alliance is alright, but it's not $40 alright.

Maybe if that $40 allowed you to download it on four different accounts for multiplayer goodness, or something.

ShdwDrake

Banned
$40?? LOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I won't even lie, for $25 I would probably bite but I already have the game on my iPhone...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ubi pulled the same bullshit at the 3DS launch too. They should be banned from all console/handheld launches from now on.

LOL Major Bomba. Reminds me of how badly Steel Diver bombed on the 3DS because it was an overpriced POS. This will do even worse because it's been out for a year, and cheaper, on other platforms, it's not as hyped as Steel Diver was back then, and it doesn't have a mastermind genius like Myiamoto behind it.

btkadams

Game has online Wi-Fi multiplayer. Sorry, no sale. I can't stand games with rehashed online features.

KuGsj.gif

Metallix87

Didn't Ubisoft basically admit that they were going to overprice Vita and 3DS titles with the intention to release much cheaper versions on Mobile platforms a little later?

Ubi pulled the same bullshit at the 3DS launch too. They should be banned from all console/handheld launches from now on.

But Nintendo did the same with Pokemon Blast 3ds, removed multiplayer and added a few stages. Hard to justify 20 dollar jump from wiiware.

Chris_C

OP where are you getting this info from?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...nter-alliance-brings-an-epic-fantasy-journey/

Sorry about that. krae_man's posted a link already, but it was happily posted on the PS Blog (where the dudes in the comments section aren't taking too kindly).

I'm increasingly worried about the pricing on Vita games (and PSN in general). More and more it feels like console gamers are getting the shaft (especially for digital releases) as opposed to our PC counterparts who benefit from much more sane pricing.

DiscoJer

Publishers like to cash in with crap titles at launch for full price.

Especially as this launch doesn't offer a lot of great non-Sony titles.

Sony should have gotten on its hands and knees and thrown a pile of money to Zenimax to launch with a Skyrim port.

But hey, old Gameloft ports are just as good, right?

DiscoJer

I realize that Sony doesn't have a lot of leverage with publishers, but at the same time, they really to insist on near parity pricing between the Vita/PS3 and iOS

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah the Vita version is a ripoff. But the PS3 version is awesome. Highly recommend. It same screen 4-player drop in drop out local co-op and you can bring a local friend with you to online.

The only 2 things that hold it back is no randomized areas, and no 'unique' monsters.

DCharlie

Banned
I'm also waiting for Warrior's Lair, but DCharlie and his wife seem to have enjoyed Alliance.

game gets a lot of bad press but it's a run of the mill dungeon slasher - it's not going to win any awards, but neither is it horrific.

Asphault however... lol

Ubisoft is just overcharging its games hoping that first customers on a videogame launch tends to buy anything to show off their new toy.

Later on the Vita cicle, a title like that would have a hard time trying to be sold by US$20. (And actually that would be a fair price for it at launch).

Well, I would have picked it up if it was a lot cheaper because at launch I'll buy a whole sort of stuff I might not have ever bought. So, to Ubisoft, that is a lost sale because of that terrible pricing. Then, by the time the price comes down, no one will want the game anyway because better games will be out.

I can never say for certain, but I think it would've been beneficial to the customer (well, I can say for certain here), the publisher and Ubisoft to launch at a price of a maximum of $14.99 to $9.99, maybe digitally only. At a price of $39.99, they will probably end up losing more money in potential sales than they would have made by launching at a much lower price because you will turn off potential buyers because of the initial price tag and then lose them permanently later on when a game like Warrior's Lair comes out. I mean, that is some seriously silly pricing. I understand that it is a physical retail case for brick and mortar stores, but $39.99 is pathetic. I mean, $19.99 is a much, much more reasonable price for a physical cartridge based port of a ~$5 iOS game that was ripped off from Diablo, Gauntlet and Balder's Gate. Ugh.

However, Sony needs to be a lot more aggressive in making (forcing?) the publisher keep the price either the same as the iOS versions for ports and maybe just a dollar or two increase for substantial additional content for the same game. If this type of premium expense over iOS version is going to be a common theme, I expect a lot more hardship for the Vita than it is already going to have to deal with.

I really wish Warrior's Lair was ready for launch.

Top Bottom