• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ abandon kids market; 3.8 million for Saints Row 3 [Stealth Company Of Heroes Rev]

Kifimbo

PR.

THQ Outlines Business Strategy of Focusing Exclusively on High-Quality Core Games and Connected Experiences for Key Franchises
Company Exiting the Kids’ Licensed Category

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) announced its updated business strategy as the company exits traditional kids’ licensed video games and focuses on its core video game franchises and digital initiatives for the future. The company will continue to build its strong portfolio of core game franchises and align its resources to deliver games on both existing consoles and new and emerging platforms. The company intends to accelerate digital revenues by extending and supporting key console launches, and to create dedicated digital properties for emerging platforms.

“THQ will be a more streamlined organization focused only on our strongest franchises”
.As part of the alignment, THQ is in the process of exiting its relationships with kids’ licensed entertainment companies but will continue to sell certain previously released titles.

“THQ will be a more streamlined organization focused only on our strongest franchises,” said Brian Farrell, President and CEO, THQ. “The success of Saints Row®: The Third™ is an example of what our revised strategy and focus can achieve. We have now shipped 3.8 million units globally and are currently expecting to ship between five and six million units lifetime on this title. Additionally, our robust digital content offerings for this game have resulted in the highest digital revenue of any console title in our history.”

The company’s five internal studios are developing games aligned to several of THQ’s key franchises, including the upcoming launch of UFC® Undisputed™ 3 and Darksiders® II, as well as Company of Heroes, inSANE, Saints Row, Warhammer 40,000, and the new title from Patrice Désilets and his team. The company also continues to work with prominent external development talent on both existing and new franchises. THQ’s goal is to optimize its portfolio for the current generation of consoles and to establish new franchises on the next generation of game devices.

THQ will discuss its new streamlined business model that reflects this strategy in more detail on its third quarter 2012 conference call scheduled for Thursday, February 2, 2012.

Congrats on Saints Row. Seems the anonymous letter from the ex employees was pretty on the nose about what was harming the company, but it's good to see a rapid response.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So chances are that they actually did give their license back as accused?

Edit:

Stealth Company of Heroes announcement?

Publish a sequel to The Punisher.

If you had done that earlier this generation, you would not find yourselves in the dire financial straits you are now in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IGDA guy's post:
- THQ is abandoning kid's market. CHECK
- The MMO is either cancelled or being sold Partially confirmed: They are "evaluating their options"
- The company is looking for buyers. Neither confirmed nor denied
- The entire 2014 slate has been put on ice. Apparently not true.

Seems to me like he was more right than wrong.

Twinduct

The things I'd do for another venture into company of heroes would get me banned.
(Or homeworld ... homeworld 3 ... do it!)

They want to establish new franchises on new consoles. I wonder if Insane is going to end up being a game that gets either ported or outright shifted to new consoles launching in 2013.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so a yearly saints row like cod and assassins creed, and dozens of spin offs and kill the franchise, ok then

-KRS-

Kids market? I thought THQ used to do all the wrestling games? You're telling me wrestling is for kids?!

Seriously though, that's good to see. Perhaps we will see more worthwhile games come out from THQ in the near future.

Apdiddy

so a yearly saints row like cod and assassins creed, and dozens of spin offs and kill the franchise, ok then

I'm fine with this if there is a Saints Row: Deckers' World spin off (hey, I loved all the old school references that were tossed in).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They will ship about 500k more via broadband cable and fiber optics! Those clever dogs. I suspect this one would and should be bought in droves when it goes on a hot sale like 10-15. It's really good but I wish they had some more open world MP like GTA. The co op is outstanding but I want to do sandbox fun with 16-32p.

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
Great news. My only interest in THQ is Saints row and Darksiders. So having them focus more on those types of games is music to my ears.

Just read that letter in more detail, I guess today's PR release is an obvious response as there really isn't any reason for it now when the earnings is a week away.

So is this guy getting fired?
Martin Good, EVP and head of Kids, Family, Casual with a 2011 salary of $1,198,023, for bringing no strategic thought or business sense to the role.
Hell of a salary for running a division into the ground

edit-guess I didn't read it close enough, apparently he was fired already

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Woo Saints Row! :p

Big congrats to the fine folks at Volition (including V-Singular). I am glad to be a part of their extended team. :)

Wow. Had no clue The Third would be that big of a hit. Impressive.

My only fear is that they caught lightning in a bottle on this one, and when striving to achieve the same level of success for SR4 will misinterpret most of what made SR3 fun and make another game with a city that's basically an animated background full of activities.

My opinion: Take SR3, make the city more interactive with more secrets and more visually distinct districts, halve the number of activities, double the number of missions, keep the missions as wacky and varied as in 3, allow the missions to be replayed for cash and respect, and allow custom soundtracks (on PS3 I mean :p).

Corrupt

So, with the MMO on the rocks, what are the chances of them changing their minds and making a Space Marine sequel?

obonicus

IGDA guy's post:
- THQ is abandoning kid's market. CHECK
- The MMO is either cancelled or being sold Partially confirmed: They are "evaluating their options"
- The company is looking for buyers. Neither confirmed nor denied
- The entire 2014 slate has been put on ice. Apparently not true.

Seems to me like he was more right than wrong.

It's like a 50% hit-rate. It's still not much better than guessing.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Company of Heroes is probably the only RTS game I like so I'm pleased.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's like a 50% hit-rate. It's still not much better than guessing.

A 50% hit rate would be guessing if he was guessing coin flips. These were specific claims about THQ's immediate future made by a guy intimately connected to developers. It's also not a 50% hit rate; he made two correct claims and one incorrect claim, as well as a claim that hasn't been accepted or rejected.

Top Bottom