• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ abandon kids market; 3.8 million for Saints Row 3 [Stealth Company Of Heroes Rev]

Soooooo.... solid core games earn money, bad casual games don't? Who'd have thought?

Why differentiate? bad core games don't earn money, good casual games do. Who'd have thought?

I guess in THQs case to limit themselves on one market is better since they obviously had no idea how to bring quality content to multiple audiences. It's not even the fault of developers either, since games like De Blob were amazing, but with this kind of idiotic management...

They were obviously spread too thin and they decided to go for a specialized market instead of one they never really understood.

Pachael

Also steal the grappling hook/stunt jump mechanics from Just Cause 2.

Yes, hell definitely yes. When the helis/planes came in SR3, my first instinct was to grapple -> awesome button -> hijack the heli. Then I realised LB was just the awesome button. Aww.

Congrats to Volition for the SR success, certainly enjoyed The Third a lot.

Company of Heroes

126331_o.gif

ArjanN

Nice to hear Saints Row did well. Hope THQ pulls through.

So maybe give Red Faction another shot? Go back to Guerrilla to build on and it will sell.

To be honest if they could incorporate the geo-mod stuff in Saints Row, it would pretty much make Red Faction obsolete.

The
Space
section in Saints Row the Third made me realise how similar Red Faction: Guerilla and Saints Row the Third already are.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
THQ said:
The company’s five internal studios are developing games aligned to several of THQ’s key franchises, including the upcoming launch of UFC® Undisputed™ 3 and Darksiders® II, as well as Company of Heroes, inSANE, Saints Row, Warhammer 40,000, and the new title from Patrice Désilets and his team.

dany6bfj0m.gif

pvpness

Grats Volition. Saint's Row is an awesome series and at times all the details and nice touches made me feel like the game was made specifically for me. Really looking forward to the next one.

Publish a sequel to The Punisher.

Their Punisher game was the only one that I thought was even close to worthy of the license.

freespace 3 incoming

The VTOL in Saint's renewed my burning desire for a new Freespace.

ArjanN

Which is their only quality franchise...Red Faction shit all over itself and Homefront was shit.

Yeah..no.

Metro 2033, Darksiders, Dawn of war, Company of Heroes etc

Plus they have a bunch promising upcoming stuff like Devil's Third, the Turtle Rock game, Patrice Désilets game, inSANE.

Publish a sequel to The Punisher.

I loved the scene where you burst out of the coffin and mow down all the unarmed gangsters. Underrated game.

Marleyman

Banned
Huh, are you speaking about THQ franchises or are you mixing up the Homefrnt dev with Volition?

THQ owns both the now defunct Kaos Studios and Volition but I am referring to THQ's weak stable of titles other than Saints Row. I am still pissed they butchered Red Faction and hope they stick around long enough to redeem themselves for Red Faction: Armageddon.

JGS

Banned
They would have lost Disney anyway, so losing the licensed kid stuff is not shocking. I would be surprised if they dropped Udraw franchise though which should reach it's peak next gen. Maybe it's not considered kiddy

derFeef

THQ owns both the now defunct Kaos Studios and Volition but I am referring to THQ's weak stable of titles other than Saints Row. I am still pissed they butchered Red Faction and hope they stick around long enough to redeem themselves for Red Faction: Armageddon.

THQ has a lot of good franchises, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Armageddon was not a bad game, certainly in the top 25% of games released last year, but I agree that it was a poor fit for the franchise, it wasn't well promoted, and obviously based on its performance failed to meet expectations. It's hard for me to say whether the issue was Volition's creative direction or constraints placed on them in terms of budget/development time/direction by management.

They would have lost Disney anyway, so losing the licensed kid stuff is not shocking. I would be surprised if they dropped Udraw franchise though which should reach it's peak next gen. Maybe it's not considered kiddy

You'd be shocked if they dropped the franchise that is responsible for their severe stock price collapse? Really?

JGS

Banned
You'd be shocked if they dropped the franchise that is responsible for their severe stock price collapse? Really?
They made the mistake of thinking 360 version Kinect was a prettier Wii version, so naturally everyone will pick it up.

The Wii version has been successful, people just didn't want to buy it again.

Kinect does not sell the same levels of software the Wii does. The franchise itself is fine and will likely be cheaper to produce on WiiU and updated Kinect.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Good news I guess. Wasn't a fan of what they did story wise with SR3 but then again I believe I'm one of the few who cared about it at all. Gameplay itself was fantastic, no doubt about that.

EYEL1NER

HELL. YES. Make Saints Row 4 for the next generation of consoles, and let me raise a city to the ground! YEAH.
So you want world-building that is set underground?

Anyway, I had hoped that Saints Row 3 would be doing better than that, but those aren't bad at all I suppose.
But UFC 3 is about to come out and disappoint the hell out of THQ, so let's see in a couple months how the company is looking then.

They made the mistake of thinking 360 version Kinect was a prettier Wii version, so naturally everyone will pick it up.

The Wii version has been successful, people just didn't want to buy it again.

Kinect does not sell the same levels of software the Wii does. The franchise itself is fine and will likely be cheaper to produce on WiiU and updated Kinect.
All that matters is that the execs are in a highly precarious position at the moment and there is no way they will keep their jobs if they keep developing a franchise that has put them on the brink of bankruptcy.

My only fear is that they caught lightning in a bottle on this one, and when striving to achieve the same level of success for SR4 will misinterpret most of what made SR3 fun and make another game with a city that's basically an animated background full of activities.

My opinion: Take SR3, make the city more interactive with more secrets and more visually distinct districts, halve the number of activities, double the number of missions, keep the missions as wacky and varied as in 3, allow the missions to be replayed for cash and respect, and allow custom soundtracks (on PS3 I mean :p).

They already misinterpreted what made SR2 great (hint: it wasn't a game that focused entirely on being "wacky"). Really hope they bring back the substance, like a long, memorable story, good characters that don't get killed off a few missions in, and all the little things they took out.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
They already misinterpreted what made SR2 great (hint: it wasn't a game that focused entirely on being "wacky"). Really hope they bring back the substance, like a long, memorable story, good characters that don't get killed off a few missions in, and all the little things they took out.

This.

Mael

All that matters is that the execs are in a highly precarious position at the moment and there is no way they will keep their jobs if they keep developing a franchise that has put them on the brink of bankruptcy.

It was their own damn fault to begin with to think that they could capture a market that wasn't there to begin with.
Seriously there's an ecosystem for products like uDraw on Move?
How they managed to shit upon themselves when they had the next Just Dance (or even a new platform to provide cheap software) is stupid beyond belief.

JGS

Banned
The 360/PS3 version put them in bankruptcy. The Wii version helped them and was out at least a full year early.

It's true the execs may be stupid enough to not put 2+2 together on that, but there is clearly a market for that type of product.

Bad. Ass.

I was new to the franchise but now eagerly anticipating SR4. I don't play any other THQ games but I might check out Darksiders II.

Top Bottom