• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Review Thread [Update: More Reviews]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Since a number of reviews have popped up already, it might be time for one of these. IGN's review is Friday and the official embargo for online press is Saturday at 1PM PST.

Gamesradar - 9/10
Inthegame.nl - 9/10
X360 Magazine UK - 90/100
Official Xbox Magazine - 9/10
Machinima - 9/10
GameTrailers - 8.8/10
RPGSite Import Review - 80/100
RPGSite English Review - 80/100
IGN - 8/10
GameInformer - 8/10
PlayStation Official Magazine - 8/10
Play UK - 80/100
Eurogamer - 8/10
OPM UK - 8/10
Destructoid - 8/10
DIY Games - 8/10
OXM UK - 8/10
DigitalSpy - 4/5
X Play - 4/5
1UP - B
CVG - 7.7/10
GameSpot - 7.5
Joystiq - 3/5
Metro Game Central - 6/10
Playstation Lifestyle - 5/10
Edge - 5/10

The Guardian - NA

Some excerpts from the magazine reviews:

Progression is player-driven, combat is even more entertaining, and an array of other adjustments makes it one of my favorite RPGs from a mechanical perspective. I just want all of that integrated with a story that isn't laughable and borderline insulting, and that's where Final Fantasy XIII-2 falters. [GaimeInformer Feb 2012, p.88]

Beneath the emotional tale and a superb cast of characters lies an abundance of shallow filler content with no real purpose It's disappointing to see a game with so much heart struggle under the burden of artificial mechanics. [OPM Feb 2012, p.80]

FFXIII-2 repairs almost every problem with Final Fantasy XIII, delivering an experience that feels like what that original game should have been. If your faith in Final Fantasy has been damaged by past disappointment, playing FFXIII-2 will restore your excitement for the franchise's future. [OXM Feb 2012, p.68]

More to come as they roll in.

Zwei

5 / 10 !

thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-024.gif

To be fair they gave the same score to FF13.
yeah that's the problem, it's hard to take a lot of these seriously considering what they gave 13. The edge one makes sense I guess, since it's still not that great probably but obviously has improved mechanics so 5->6.

I'm pretty excited, but I don't know, I have my doubts I'll enjoy it as much as XIII thanks to the little things like the monster stuff and the story sounds worse. Still I enjoyed XIII's story, visuals/art, and battle system so I'm there. Already have it pre-ordered.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'm pretty excited, but I don't know, I have my doubts I'll enjoy it as much as XIII thanks to the little things like the monster stuff and the story sounds worse. Still I enjoyed XIII's story, visuals/art, and battle system so I'm there. Already have it pre-ordered.

The monster stuff is going to really make it fun imo.

Rpgmonkey

Starting to get more pumped for this.

Not necessarily because of the reviews (though they're encouraging), mostly because it's been a while since I've played a console JRPG.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I gave it an 8. Which means while good, it has issues that keep it from being great.

no no I don't mean that score, I mean the score that you "really" meant to give it as a FF fanboy ;), like if you weren't being "professional" about it and objective.

9.5'd?

Starting to get more pumped for this.

Not necessarily because of the reviews (though they're encouraging), mostly because it's been a while since I've played a console JRPG.

Tell me about it..

Already got my $80 CE paid off and my hype has never been greater. Cleared out any and all games I was planning to play for the next 2 months. Bring it.

yeah that's the problem, it's hard to take a lot of these seriously considering what they gave 13. The edge one makes sense I guess, since it's still not that great probably but obviously has improved mechanics so 5->6.

Seriously. Stuff like the Famitsu review just makes me shake my head. I personally found the credibility of gaming journalism took a serious dive this generation. I just find it difficult to trust pubs now that they are just handing out 9s and 10s out on a silver platter to big name games that after I've personally played, would garner a 7 if I'm being generous.

I'm glad to hear that the gameplay has improved, As I enjoyed the quick pace of the battles in XIII, and between that and the gorgeous world aesthetic, helped to mitigate the massive disappointment centering upon the lukewarm cast and forgettable, and glacially languid plot. I'm sad they didn't address that chief concern this second time around, but with a guy like Toriyama penning your scripts I guess you can't have much hope :l

Not bad, I doubt I'll care about the filler. If anything Final Fantasy XIII didn't have enough filler, not enough of those daft moments between fighting through one level of enemies, then moving on to the next.

Some of my favourite moments in the series were filler, the Golden Saucer, the marching in Junon and the duel with Blank at the beginning of IX.

I'll see.

B.K.

Seriously. Stuff like the Famitsu review just makes me shake my head. I personally found the credibility of gaming journalism took a serious dive this generation. I just find it difficult to trust pubs now that they are just handing out 9s and 10s out on a silver platter to big name games that after I've personally played, would garner a 7 if I'm being generous.

That's why I haven't read a game review in years. If there's a game I'm on the fence about, I just wait and read impressions on GAF. GAF impression threads are more reliable than "professional" reviews.

That's why I haven't read a game review in years. If there's a game I'm on the fence about, I just wait and read impressions on GAF. GAF impression threads are more reliable than "professional" reviews.

I agree completely. If not for GAF I would have never tried out games like God Hand, Nier, Deadly Premonition or visual novels. These types of titles either radiate low production values that one associates with bargain bin fare or they are almost always universally panned by the journos

Himself

I think Edge also really liked Mass Effect 2. Which in the eyes of some may entirely discredit or totally justify the rest of their review scores.

That first excerpt makes it sound like this is going to be similar to FFX-2: great battle system and mechanics, terrible, terrible story.

Top Bottom