• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Finals | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

07154430323262.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: The Finals
Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Dec 7, 2023)
  • PC (Dec 7, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Dec 7, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Embark Studios AB

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 100% recommended - 6 reviews

ilKSxFi.png

MetaCritic - 81/100 - Based on 5 Reviews

0dcLTaE.png

Critic Reviews​

Gamerheadquarters - Jason Stettner - 7 / 10
The Finals is action packed, filled with epic destruction and the tournament mode provides a nice competitive edge.
GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 8 / 10
THE FINALS has room to improve, but it shines in all the ways that matter. If you're keen on a new first-person shooter that mixes chaos with strategy in a sleek package, it's worth a look.
IGN - Justin Koreis - 8 / 10
The Finals is a fresh and exciting take on team based PVP shooters, featuring some of the best environmental destruction in any FPS.
INVEN - Jaihoon Jeong - Korean - 8.5 / 10
A well-crafted shooter with excellent fundamental skills and unique enjoyment. With a solid foundation, it holds promise for a long-lasting service, but addressing cheat users and making commitments to robust operation are essential
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Graham Smith - Unscored
A multiplayer first-person shooter in which teams of three fight to capture cash boxes in fully destructible levels, with plentiful parkour and movement abilities.
VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 8 / 10
With loadouts to assemble and coordinated teams laughing to the bank, every breath of The Finals’ destruction does justice to its game show ambitions.

Good early reviews. I might give it a try during the holidays since the devs are ex-DICE and really enjoyed BF3, BF4 and BF1 (I know that the gameplay / MP modes are not the same :p).

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds decent, if only because it pushes stuff like environmental destruction as a gameplay mechanic with its level design.

wipeout364

I didn’t really like it to be honest. I probably should give it another go, I only played three matches. I have so many multiplayer shooters on the go I just did not see what was so special about this one and the 3vs3vs3 setup didn’t really do much for me.

Luipadre

I didn’t really like it to be honest. I probably should give it another go, I only played three matches. I have so many multiplayer shooters on the go I just did not see what was so special about this one and the 3vs3vs3 setup didn’t really do much for me.

Play bank it. Much better mode, than the default one. 12 players, fast paced, pure chaos

R6Rider

Gold Member
Play bank it. Much better mode, than the default one. 12 players, fast paced, pure chaos
Agreed. Bank It is more fun overall. Get to use more of the map and kills actually can earn you something directly. The mode also allows for crazy come backs at the end and has intense moments of defending/hunting the one guy who is carrying around $27K.

Found the Cashout/Quick Cash mode to be more annoying. Too long of a spawn time just to get back to the objective where it's always riddled with mines and turrets.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

Exceptional arena shooter with a high ass skill ceiling that I think will make or break the player base. Solo queuing console feels absolutely brain dead sometimes but when the coordination clicks this is easily the best shooter I’ve ever played.

splattered

WOW i didnt expect this to score so well, seems like Gaf kept saying this game was crap? Will give it a spin soon i guess... awesome.

Zannegan

Sounds decent, if only because it pushes stuff like environmental destruction as a gameplay mechanic with its level design.
That is the most interesting part about it, for me. Hope it has a chance to build an audience and recoup some of its dev costs before Fortnite comes in and makes it a mode to bleed off their audience.

Yea I'm really enjoying my time with it as well. So quick and easy to get into a match, plenty of action, and just feels fun to play in general.

I'm loving it, but I'm pretty bummed at the economy. The last beta gave us free money but I thought it was the earnable cash, so most of the clothing options I thought I could have are locked behind real money >.>

Bridges

This has to be the best original multiplayer shooter since either Titanfall or the original Overwatch. It is so much fun, the destruction is incredible and reminds me of Bad Company 2. The classes sre highly customizable and really great. I don't want to buy Battle Passes but I will say the cosmetics are better than most games.

Really amazing start for a F2P. Can't wait to see where it goes

That is the most interesting part about it, for me. Hope it has a chance to build an audience and recoup some of its dev costs before Fortnite comes in and makes it a mode to bleed off their audience.
Fortnite would have to entirely change the way their destruction works, which would also affect the way their creation works, which would be a gameplay change that they would not be able to reverse.

The Finals feels more like Red Faction Guerilla and Bad Company had a baby.

gothmog

Gold Member
We've been enjoying it. The feel difference between the sizes is big. I've personally been enjoying light with the grappling hook. You can either do quick hit and runs or snipe from a distance all over the place effectively. I hope they get more maps soon.

Luipadre

I wanted to like this game so bad but the kill time ruined it for me
TTK is not an issue at all. There are weapons that 2 shots the enemy unless its a heavy. Also aim for the head. Headshot damage is insane in this game and can melt people fast.

So you've never played a good looking aaa game on your pc? This game looks mid PS4 gen at best. Even rdr2 looks leaps and bounds above and that game is outdated.
Mate if the game is fun what does it matter what the graphics look like? I'm playing on PC on something like medium settings and it looks good enough for me because the gameplay itself is what I'm enjoying. The graphics are fine.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I need to give it a go. Good to hear the foundation is decent. Hopefully they have. Agood pipeline of content as these shooters love and die by this.

[Sigma]

Score should be higher let me tell it. Game is fresh among the games on the market.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Man I hate the shields and gas mines! So cheap! Hahah! Maybe I should use them too..
The most annoying thing in the game right now (on Quick Cash, which is also why I don't play it much) is the amount of turrets and gas mines.

Huge fan of the explosive mines though. I get so many kills with them and not even by tossing them as a last resort. I find leaving them in doors and closing them or on staircases nets me the most.

When I play Heavy I play all explosives with Exp. Mines, RPG, and C4 and it's pretty fun. Although the RPG is pretty terrible so I might switch it out. The fact that you can kill yourself when hitting a Light at point blank and have the Light survive is beyond stupid.

Xtib81

I'll keep saying that the light is a bit too fragile or that TTK is too high. 175 HP would be better, sometimes you literally die instantly.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I'll keep saying that the light is a bit too fragile or that TTK is too high. 175 HP would be better, sometimes you literally die instantly.

You are fast, you have weapons that 2 shots people, dash, invis, grapple. I think its fairly balanced

R6Rider

Gold Member
You are fast, you have weapons that 2 shots people, dash, invis, grapple. I think its fairly balanced
Agreed Lights are the best at escaping and creating chaos (other than Heavies running through supports beams) and also have the best weapons overall IMO.

Flutta

Banned
Yea I'm really enjoying my time with it as well. So quick and easy to get into a match, plenty of action, and just feels fun to play in general.
Are you playing with friends or just joining randos? if that's the case how does it play out... i mean communication wise. From what i've seen this games has a hard emphasis on team communication more so then most MP games or you won't have fun type game.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Balancing doesn't work that way though. It's not how developers approach the problem.

They look at the KD of Light players in Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum tiers...As well as the win rates.

I'm not sure about the higher tiers, but in the lower tiers, having an L on your team drops your teams success rate considerably. Having two Ls is almost an auto throw.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Being the flash is not useful when I get dropped instantly, granted I've only been using the Uzi so far so I need to play more but yeah I could do with a little bit more HP.

Last edited:
Are you playing with friends or just joining randos? if that's the case how does it play out... i mean communication wise. From what i've seen this games has a hard emphasis on team communication more so then most MP games or you won't have fun type game.
Joining randoms. You can join voice channel and talk (some people do, some don't) and there is also a ping system where you can tag enemies, mark locations and where you are going, etc and your character says "Going here" and if a team mate tags you can confirm and your character will say "Yep" or "Alright" or something like that. I've had a bunch of wins playing with randoms without even talking. I think I'm at about 25 wins from 85 odd matches. Pretty much all Quick cash. Doesn't sound like a lot but decent enough I thought.

Top Bottom