• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has an Online Pass *sigh*

Xater

I am really into the game but this deserves to be mentioned because it is an awful trend. This is entirely a single player game but EA still feels like it is necessary to add an "Online Pass" so they can lock some quests behind this gate. Terrible, terrible practice that needs to stop right now.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a single-player game, but that hasn't stopped Electronic Arts from cramming an online pass into the game. We knew the pass was going to hide the game's Mass Effect tie-in armor, but now we know that it's holding seven full quests to ransom, too.

Link: Destructoid

If you don't have servers to maintain, you can fuck off with your online passes. EA testing people's patience once again, I see. What a deplorable group of people.

88-o.gif

Reuenthal

Banned
EA always finds new ways to prove how horrible it is. It seems each day there is something new we learn about how they screw people over.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
After reading the title, I started wondering why this was news-worthy.

And then I remembered that the game has no online multiplayer.

Welcome to a sneak peek of next gen where all games do this?

Next-next-gen (if there is one) we'll have CD-Keys on console games.

How is this news? Mass Effect 2 had an online pass.

It's an notable event that transpired- it's news. Also, this game in particular seemed absent of one of EA's bad practices (that is, it's on Steam) so it's not unreasonable to have hoped for the same to have happened with their online pass habit.

Dave Long

Banned
You're not going to own your games soon. The all-digital, all-out of your hands future is coming soon to a console near you.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not that this is a shock. Not every game that has this deserves a thread. Get used to it.

I will buy it when I get the money and it comes down in price. Online pass or not. What's online about this game anyways?

Do all of EAs platinum/greatest hits game not come with Online passes. My friend was going to buy Bad Company 2 but then we learned the platinum hits version doesn't come with the VIP code...

Atruvius

It's a shame that some people are going to held this against the game and not buy it. Personally, I don't mind this since I have already pre-ordered my copy and the game packed full of content even if you choose not to redeem the pass.

Also, buy the game from Steam since EA aren't the publisher there.

In a game with several hundreds of hours of quests, holding out 7 to ensure the people making it get whats rightfully due them is no big deal.

If you want the 7 quests just buy it new.

Xater

Not that this is a shock. Not every game that has this deserves a thread. Get used to it.

I will buy it when I get the money and it comes down in price. Online pass or not. What's online about this game anyways?

I think an online pass always deserves a thread. I don#t think it's good practice and so do a lot of people. I am buying this game, but it doesn't mean I do have to like this.

Why? Its not even an online game? Or does this have online co-op or something?

Reading the OP should make this clear....

RPGCrazied

Uh. I did. I still don't get why this needs an online pass for DLC, that you pay for. So, if I buy this used. I have to buy the online pass just so I can then buy the DLC? Yeah, no.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
But you see, it's actually bonus content. That stuff wasn't going to be on the disc. It's a reward for those of us who will actually buy n... yea, can't keep a straight face on this one.

What a shitty practice. And according to the demo thread, EA actually told 38 studios that their first dlc had too much content in it.

*sigh*

Still the game though.

Khezu

Normally I wouldn't buy this because I hate this crap, but this is a EA partners game so as much I want EA to fuck off, so far I still like 38 studios and want them to not die, and hopefully if they do well, they can find a less terrible publisher for there next games.

I'll just not buy or rent all EA's other games, except for maybe SSX cause its fucking SSX.

Wait, will it have one on steam? Since EA has nothing to do with that release?

Massa

Do all of EAs platinum/greatest hits game not come with Online passes. My friend was going to buy Bad Company 2 but then we learned the platinum hits version doesn't come with the VIP code...

All new copies come with it, greatest hits or not.

ultron87

They should really just call it "bonus first buyer DLC" or something. "Online Pass" doesn't even make sense in this case.

Prezhulio

is this the first EA game to come out on steam since DA2/Crysis2? didn't alice come out on steam too? i thought i understood their strategy but they're just leaving the big titles off now?

koji

Dragon Age had it, Mass Effect had it. Standard EA practice.... Just wait for the shitstorm on the EA forums when the content isn't "activated" properly and pirates play a version with everything unlocked.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To be clear, I knew about the SP and DLC aspects. I thought there was some kind of online mode of actual play that was not being discussed. Doesn't change my mind on the issue.

Also, while I don't like this idea, it sure won't deter me. I would rather it not be there, of course.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
How is this news? Mass Effect 2 had an online pass.

This. Really is time to get over it. It won't stop. So, either don't buy it and move on or eventually find a new hobby.

In an additional note, Jim Sterling continues to make no sense.

It's pretty sad that single-player games are starting to chuck online passes around. You know what that says to me? That a publisher is not confident that its game is worth keeping. That's really not the kind of message you want to send your consumers before they even put the disc in.

It's a shame, because Amalur might actually be worth keeping ... but EA clearly doesn't think so.

Game journos have no memories. I guess WB had no faith in Batman: Arkham City or EA has no faith in Mass Effect 2. Nope. None at all.

I'm surprised publishers continue to send free games to Destructoid.

is this the first EA game to come out on steam since DA2/Crysis2? didn't alice come out on steam too? i thought i understood their strategy but they're just leaving the big titles off now?

Ea isn't publishing it on steam. Also don't try to understand their strategy. There isn't one.

dethforce

Banned
i hated this on mass effect 2 - without downloading all this "Bonus stuff" you didnt even get to see the new introduction video. so what? when playing the game 5 years later on a other console, you dant even access this anymore...

JBSoldi

Neo Member
Anyone else notice how games that aren't guaranteed hits somehow get saddled with these passes?

Does EA think this game won't sell as well as it originally intended?

I think I'm going to get this on Steam anyways. I'm not a fan of online activations for console games, but I wish they'd just compromise and make them a lot cheaper.

The complaining is acceptable if it's followed by more gifs from The Wire.

Top Bottom