• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has an Online Pass *sigh*

It's the latest data they've released?

Actually it's not.

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...4/Q2_FY12_Earnings_Release_10_27_11_FINAL.pdf

Either way though that's not important. What's important is that they make no mention of profit in that report (the one you posted). And even if they did, are you suggesting that their goal should be to exactly break even, and they should not strive for profitability? FURTHERMORE, if you look deeper into the financial results from the quarter you did post, you will find that they LOST money, like they did as well in the report from the quarter I posted.

So. I really don't know what point you're trying to make.

ReaperXL7

I may not completely agree with the Online pass stuff, but I'm still going to support the game. If we don't support it, then 38 won't be able to go 100% independant, and they will continue to be forced into this kind of stuff. It's been obvious for awhile from different things he has said on their forums but I don't think Curt really likes being tied to EA, so hopefully the game is successful so that in the future they can handle stuff like this the way that they want to.

Either way though that's not important. What's important is that they make no mention of profit in that report (the one you posted). And even if they did, are you suggesting that their goal should be to exactly break even, and they should not strive for profitability?

When video rental stores started renting VHS tapes the studios were pissed but you know what they did? They sold rental stores a copy at ten times the retail price three months before the movie was actually due to be released on home video.

IMHO EA could be much more productive beating Gamestop at its own game. All the copies that work perfectly but don't meet quality control because of cosmetic things like printing errors? Sell them direct to the consumer as factory seconds at a virtual outlet store at a price a few bucks below Gamestop's obscenely high used price.

But that would require EA to not be a bunch of dicks so I don't think they'd take to it very well.

Ihya

New games drop so quickly in price I just don't really care. Being canny with deals thanks to Cheapassgamer and gaf cheapassgaffer I haven't bought a used game since forever. Shopping smart = less moaning.

Elev8ion

Neo Member
To be honest I see both sides of the fence on this one. It's really a difficult proposition for the developers because they need to make money to fund future projects. At the same time you have gamers who can only afford used games and this too is an important consideration.

At least with Reckoning it isn't a required quest that you must complete in order to finish the game. We have seen "online passes" that you absolutely must have to play the game in its intended entirety so a small head nod to BHG and 38 Studios in this regard.

Further, many of us aren't completionists and even avoid some tedious side quests in epically large RPGs so this "online pass" component of Reckoning should be given some sort of hall pass. Plus, let's remember EA invested in this and you have to listen to your investors, especially the large, influential ones.

Top Bottom