• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise, SSX has Online Pass [Works differently than normal.]

LiK

UPDATE:

This online pass doesn't work like others

"In SSX, players without an Online Pass are able to compete and play in both of SSX's online game modes, Explore and Global Events with no restrictions," an EA representative explained. "In Global Events, the top finishers from each event are awarded with in-game credits. These in-game credits earned during play will not be awarded to the player if they do not have an Online Pass." If at any point you find yourself in dire need of that currency, redeeming your code or purchasing one from within the game will earn you access to any and all credits you've accrued online.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217535p1.html

http://www.destructoid.com/shocker-ssx-has-an-online-pass-220630.phtml

220630-header.jpg

The new SSX looks pretty damn fantastic, of that there is no denying. Still, Electronic Arts once again doesn't think it's good enough to sell new copies on its own merit, and hopes to force your hand with its favorite skeezy business tactic -- the online pass.

Although not officially announced, videos of the game in action (such as the lengthy footage on Giant Bomb) reveals the pass feature sitting comfortably at the bottom of SSX's main menu. So, used gamers will need to pay the piper, and new customers will have their time wasted with an unnecessary barrier between themselves and the features they paid for.

This is par for the course with EA, a publisher so in love with online passes that it's started putting them in single player games. Once again, however, I stress that I will continue to post online pass inclusions as news items, because I refuse to let this become banal and acceptable.

Guess I should've noticed that in the video altho not too surprising.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They've been doing this for over 2 years. Their first game with an 'online pass' was a singleplayer game. It was banal and acceptable a long time ago.

I have never, and will never, be outraged by online passes for online multiplayer content. Oh, so your used game that isn't giving the developers any money isn't as cheap as you want it to be? I'm so sorry.

Not that EA isn't full of shit on many other topics; this just doesn't bother me.

NHale

I have never, and will never, be outraged by online passes for online multiplayer content. Oh, so your used game that isn't giving the developers any money isn't as cheap as you want it to be? I'm so sorry.

Not that EA isn't full of shit on many other topics; this just doesn't bother me.

I don't have any problem with online content being locked but now every time I open a game, I have to install it, download the day 1 patch and redeem a code before I can play the game. I'm already tired of eating sandwiches.

On the other hand, I couldn't be more against offline content being locked. It's stupid and screws the honest consumer that doesn't have an internet connection.

Sean

Banned

I purchase all my games brand new and it's still annoying having to input online pass codes.

SmokyDave

Oh well, I'll live without.

Said it in another thread, but this will be industry standard until GameStop goes under.

No, it will be industry standard until they figure out how to make people bend further. CD Keys for next-gen.

It will never ever happen due to the large numbers of people who don't have their consoles connected to the internet.
Wait and see. Did WB provide some Catwoman solution for offline gamers?

Giard

It will never ever happen due to the large numbers of people who don't have their consoles connected to the internet.
Pretty sure Kingdoms of Amalur blocks a part of the game if you don't have an online pass, and it's a single player only game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can't wait for $70 games! or $20 online pass next gen games. The free market can suck it! Here developers, have all my monies.

I never understood why people are always so shocked by what has become the norm. Games like these have online passes because they have persistent online worlds where your data is being stored. That costs money to manage. Now, I WILL be upset if EA closes down the servers a year from now when they put out SSX 2013 or some bullshit like that. There should be some implied value to an online pass like that. If I'm "paying" $10 to have access to your online features, then I expect those features to be available for at least 2 years.

DaBuddaDa

I've been putting CD keys into PC games in three decades, I can do it with console games too.

Day 1, no doubt. The game looks fantastic.

MrPliskin

Banned
When GameStop goes under, this industry (as we know it now) is fucked.

I don't think that to be true. When GS goes under, we will likely have a single console "standard" akin to a movie format (say, Blu-Ray) and DD will be very prevailant.

I'd say they only thing holding back DD right now is B&M shope like GS. DD prices will begin to decline and companies will have to further compete with STEAM not only as a service, but as a competing online retailer.

I think this will be a good thing.

Derrick01

Banned
Guess that affects me since I only buy EA games used :p

Oh well, I wasn't ever going to get this particular game anyway. I think we can drop the surprise since they already gave a pass to Amalur, a 100% single player game, by yanking out quests and even whole factions if you bought it used.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Stormwatch said:
Games like these have online passes because they have persistent online worlds where your data is being stored. That costs money to manage.

Bullshit. The amount of money is marginal, considering every company ever is begging me to put my entire life up on their servers for free (Google, Apple, MS, etc. etc.). And F2P online games don't require a purchase and store my data. And then you have Dropbox and what not. Storage space is cheap. Bandwidth is cheap. Cost of doing business.

I don't like online passes but I know why they do it. It's not because they need to extract money from you to store your 500K of character data. They are trying to kill the used game market, that's the only reason.

NHale

I never understood why people are always so shocked by what has become the norm. Games like these have online passes because they have persistent online worlds where your data is being stored. That costs money to manage. Now, I WILL be upset if EA closes down the servers a year from now when they put out SSX 2013 or some bullshit like that. There should be some implied value to an online pass like that. If I'm "paying" $10 to have access to your online features, then I expect those features to be available for at least 2 years.

That was a decent argument from publishers until they started locking offline content (Catwoman in Batman: AC and now quests on Kingdoms of Amalur). At least admit they are doing this to get some money from used games and pirates.

MMaRsu

Banned
Is any SP content locked away behind it? If so no buy ( again, I already said no buy after NO SPLITSCREEN????? )

Yeah they should have called it a Lift Ticket, would have been cooler.

Anyway yeah this is shitty but it still isn't as shitty as online passes for single player games. Especially Batman:AA.

Nothing has been announced what has been locked away. It could be ANYTHING

Are we going to have a thread everytime a game has an online pass? It's here to stay. Suck it up and move on.

Yeah that's why these greedy as fuck corporations keep buttfucking you untill you just suck it up and move on.. what a clown ><

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Right.

I mean, I understand that some like to make something bigger out of this but I'm not even buying this game and see no issue.

That says more about your lack of foresight than anything else.

Charging for online passes is straight up vile in EA's case, since they cut off their servers early as HELL, and you damn sure know they aren't going to give any refunds.

Actually EA makes out like a bandit in these deals. At least on the 360, here's what they get (I'm not as knowledgable about the way PS3's Online stuff works):

1. Access to MS's peer to peer online infrastructure (they don't have to pay for dedicated servers to host the actual games)
2. All the player data they could possibly want to use for marketing purposes etc (once you're hooked up to EA's servers they know everything you do, and they can spam your email address)
3. A cut of Xbox Live Gold subscriptions from MS
4. $10 per used gamer to play online

Whatever resources they put into running these servers I guarantee you they get far more out of it.

Top Bottom