• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam to introduce 1-step mod installation/uninstallation with Skyrim

corn_fest

Up until now, the largest barrier to the acceptance of mods was convincing the larger audience to muck about with their game files or download third-party mod managers. By making the process this simple and putting a database of mods basically right within the game client via Steam Workshop, I think this could be the start of a huge spike in growth for the mod community in terms of users and quality of mods. What do you think?

Will users embrace mods from the Steam Workshop?
Could its ease of use encourage other developers to release mod support or toolkits with their games?
What do you think about the limitations that this method brings about (possibly less ability to edit core game files, size limitations so mods can sync to Steam Cloud, Valve controlling content - will mods with adult themes be removed from the Workshop?) Is this moving toward a "walled garden" approach to mods, and if so, is it the best way forward for mod users and creators?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/skyrims-creation-kit-available-soon-on-pc-latest-vid-offers/

KVGab.jpg

L7VT2.png

AtGH4.png

Piano

Banned
I don't think there's any way to know how well this will work until they launch it. I feel like it's inevitable that there will be some mods that don't play nice with one another or the game.

spekkeh

Banned
Awesome. Oblivion modding required some heavy reading before jumping into it.
Not to mention the fear that you'd overwrite texture files and whatnot and could never play the actual game again without seriously deleting everything and reinstalling (and then hoping important registry keys weren't retained anyway).

If this works well, it's a really awesome (and much needed) tool.

linko9

Really good stuff, hope this becomes standard. I really like how some games like Civ V integrate mods into the game itself, which is perhaps even better, as it cuts across platforms (though with Civ V it's irrelevant as it's a mandatory steamworks game.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, this is definitely good for me. I've had no problem adding smaller mods to the past Elder Scrolls games, but when I try to do anything major, I tend to fail miserably and end up reinstalling everything. <3 Steam for making PC gaming better than ever for lazy people.

RickA238

Wow, without reading too much into it, this sounds amazing. Oblivion modding was a total bitch with having to worry about the load order. It was like a game in itself.

iNvid02

its gonna encourage people to buy on steam too

e.g if i can access mods easily which also self update for something like GTA V
of course im gonna buy it on steam and avoid the POS that is gwfl

Double D

Incredible. I tried modding Oblivion for a couple hours and finally gave up. This will give me that extra push I needed to finally complete my gaming rig.

Just to clarify something; I'm pretty sure that this is only ever going to work with smaller mods like asset swaps and quests which don't need a script-extender. If you want to install anything substantial you'll still need to use Skyrim Script Extender and Nexus Mod Manager.

So it's great if you want to install HD textures and loli-companions, but not so good for the really meaty mods. Which is fine I guess, anyone using Steam to install mods is unlikely to be adding much else.

Atomski

Wow this is really some cool news. If other developers follow suit I could see this becoming a popular trend on Steam.

Just to clarify something; I'm pretty sure that this is only ever going to work with smaller mods like asset swaps and quests which don't need a script-extender. If you want to install anything substantial you'll still need to use Skyrim Script Extender and Nexus Mod Manager.

So it's great if you want to install HD textures and loli-companions, but not so good for the really meaty mods. Which is fine I guess, anyone using Steam to install mods is unlikely to be adding much else.

Did you watch the preview vid? Seems like you can do some pretty deep stuff including scripting..

I'm not sure how it would even work with texture packs, as I don't see how you would upload those from the CK. Same with FXAA injectors, enb, or anything like that.

Did you watch the preview vid? Seems like you can do some pretty deep stuff including scripting..

I did watch the preview vid. I've also worked on my own mods for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. While you can use the CK for scripting, it's heavily sandboxed. The point of the script-extender is to provide an API for advanced functionality which isn't available in the sandbox.

Sutanreyu

Beginning of making "mods" an official marketing bullet point for future PC games -- to be sold as an extra feature. Calling it.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm guessing no nude mods? Some of the funniest shit is the nudity mods. I downloaded some stuff for dragon age that was just so fucking stupid it was hilarious. Like morrigan and Leliana having sex with a goat weird.

bounchfx

this is incredible. only reason I never got into mods for morrowind/oblivion was the ridiculous process in order to not only install them, but even just getting them to work properly...

methinks I might make some weapons for skyrim now.

goodfella

Yeah, I get the feeling that this Steam business will be extremely limited.

The Nexus Mod Manager is already so easy to use though.

Beginning of making "mods" an official marketing bullet point for future PC games -- to be sold as an extra feature. Calling it.

Better than no mod support at all like most games. Maybe that would be a good thing.

Chavelo

No nude/questionable mods on the steam repo sounds good to me. If I wanna get freaky, I don't mind doing a bit of elbow work (HA!) on my side. For everything else, I say "BRING IT!".

VALIS

That's hot. Hopefully this happens for more games.

...Although this continues to lower the bar in terms of technical knowledge one must possess to be a good PC gamer, which is starting to get annoying with a lot of these new people who are completely clueless outside of clicking download or play. I'd hate a future where PC gaming became "Applefied."

That's hot. Hopefully this happens for more games.

...Although this continues to lower the bar in terms of technical knowledge one must possess to be a good PC gamer, which is starting to get annoying with a lot of these new people who are completely clueless outside of clicking download or play. I'd hate a future where PC gaming became "Applefied."

Putting it simply, modding Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas was never that difficult anyway if you possessed the most rudimentary computing skills. This thing is for people like the guy in a thread a few weeks back who had Comic Sans as his desktop font and didn't know how to unzip an archive.

Top Bottom