• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dropbox gives away up to 3GB of extra storage by trying out beta software

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Update! 1.3.19 released!

Must use proprietary photo and video uploader tool. Adds a maximum of 5.0GB space.

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=55007

Download links inside.

Looks like this beta event is this year's GB giveaway as Dropbox held an event last year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25429867

For every 500 MB uploaded, Dropbox will grant the user an additional 500 MB. This action can be repeated up to 10 times for a total of 5.0GB additional space.

Supposedly, users can tell the client to upload just a 5.0-5.1GB media file and the act of doing so will grant them the automatic 5.0GB of space. They are not required to complete the upload to be granted space.

Some users have been fooling the system by uploading empty JPEG files.

--------

Directions

1. Download build in link above. Install. Link account.
2. Find a USB drive or other device media with 5.0-5.1 GB free.
3. Load photos and videos of that corresponding amount.
4. Unplug the USB device.
5. Plug it back in.
6. Dropbox's proprietary photo and video tool will be launched. If not, check the thread for answers.

--------

Special notes

Windows XP users as of the latest version are required to do the following:

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?page=32&id=53104#post-395001

This is a known problem of 1.3.13 Dropbox under Windows XP, you need to copy msvcr71.dll into C:\Program files\Dropbox\ from DropBox installation at
C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Dropbox\bin\msvcr71.dll.

How to reveal AutoPlay options in Windows Vista/7.
You may need to unplug the USB device and plug it back in to see this option.

I have mine ignore autoplay too, but you should be able to right click on the drive in Explorer and manually select autoplay, and then it should give you the dropbox option.

*may be Win7 only, it's been a while since I've used XP or anything.

XT9lp.jpg

7kAQ7.png

If that doesn't work:

Maybe try this (PDF link, sorry). Just reset everything relevant-looking to "ask me every time".

https://www.dropbox.com/help/287

Why didn't I get my free space for beta testing the latest forum build?

If you're lucky enough to be included in our latest round of forums beta testing, you'll find that we're offering up to 5GB free for testing the camera upload feature.

Using the new forum build of the desktop application, Camera upload will automatically import all of your photos from your camera or SD Card as soon as you plug it in it to your computer. The camera upload feature on Android automatically uploads any photos and videos directly over Wi-Fi or your data plan.

Use camera upload from the desktop application
To use the new feature, you'll need the Experimental Forum Build (1.3.1X) of the desktop application for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Once you plug in your camera or phone to your computer, you'll automatically be prompted to upload photos to your Dropbox folder. Select Import Pictures and Videos using Dropbox and your photos will automatically save to your Dropbox folder's Camera Uploads folder.

Use camera upload from your Android phone
You'll need the latest Android build (2.0.9) to enable camera upload from your phone. If you're using the Android app, you can enable the Camera Upload feature when you launch the Experimental version for the first time. You'll be prompted whether you want to enable Dropbox over your data plan and whether you want to upload existing photos and videos. Select your preferences and then as soon as you press Upload, Dropbox will automatically start uploading eligible photos and videos to your Dropbox.

Get your free space
All you have to do to get your free space is test our camera upload feature. Here's how:

• Upload a photo using camera upload and you'll instantly get 500MB of extra Dropbox space
  • Every 500MB you upload via the camera upload feature bumps you up another 500MB
  • You can bump your Dropbox storage up ten times for a total of 5GB of free space. In other words, to reach your limit you have to upload 4.5GB through the camera upload feature
Dropbox space is only applied if you use the camera upload feature
Simply moving photos to your Photos or Camera Uploads folder does not give you free space. This offer is only eligible for those using the camera upload feature as described.

3phemeral

I tried this earlier today on my GNexus, Transformer, and a beta Windows version, but haven't got past the first 500MB bonus.
LLShC.gif

clav

I tried this earlier today on my GNexus, Transformer, and a beta Windows version, but haven't got past the first 500MB bonus.
LLShC.gif

I did it using the dropbox software for Windows. I made sure that I used its proprietary photo and video importer tool.

To use it, the media has to be on a removable device medium (e.g. hard drive, flash disk). The AutoPlay prompt will allow you to use the proprietary uploader tool.

If your AutoPlay is defaulted to something else, you can show the autoplay options in the Explorer window by right clicking the appropriate media and select something that says "Autoplay Options."

noted!

with dropbox, can I upload something then send a friend the link? or is it just for your personal usage?

You can put the file in the "Public" folder, and Dropbox will let you create a public link to share with your friends.

Alternatively, you can share a folder if the friend has a Dropbox account and let them download and edit from there.

The question is, is it permanently granted extra space?

Permanent.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. It's working for me with a DVDR (got first bonus and all) full of photos in case anybody was wondering.

clav

thanks, claviertekky. will sign up.

Oh you don't have one?

The thing is it may not be worthwhile with alternatives like Amazon Cloud Drive, Google Documents, and Microsoft SkyDrive.

Dropbox was first to come out with this idea, so most people are likely to have accounts.

Only thing holding back for Dropbox is space now since the competition arrived.

Sean

Banned
Got this easily by recording two long (20min, ~2 something GB each) HD movie files on my iPhone.

I now have 17GB of space from these various free deals and referrals.

Oh you don't have one?

The thing is it may not be worthwhile with alternatives like Amazon Cloud Drive, Google Documents, and Microsoft SkyDrive.

Dropbox was first to come out with this idea, so most people are likely to have accounts.

Only thing holding back for Dropbox is space now since the competition arrived.

Do those other services have clients that automate syncing across computers like Dropbox does? I haven't really looked into anything else.

You have to do the importing and uploading either through their mobile app, or by using the "Import Pictures and Video using Dropbox" option in Windows Autoplay.

Darkkn

I was about to take advantage of this, but then realized that i can not afford beta software to screw-up my dropbox folders at this moment. Is this fear unfounded?

I wish it was possible to set Dropbox also to do local backup in addition to cloud stuff.

Sean

Banned
I was about to take advantage of this, but then realized that i can not afford beta software to screw-up my dropbox folders at this moment. Is this fear unfounded?

I'd say your safe, thousands of people are doing this and I haven't seen any issues with data loss or anything.

What about on a mac? I don't see that option anywhere

On the Mac it works the same way, the Dropbox photo importer thing will pop up when you connect a camera. Then just import to get the extra space. You'll need to be using the beta build posted in their forums to get the free space though since the current stable version doesn't have that photo import feature.

clav

Do those other services have clients that automate syncing across computers like Dropbox does? I haven't really looked into anything else.

Amazon: No native client.

Google Documents: There's a third party tool called InSync. Haven't tried it. https://www.insynchq.com/
I think the limit for Google documents is 1GB.

Microsoft SkyDrive: There are clients for mobile users (i.e. iOS, Android, WP7). Windows integration will probably be a feature for Windows 8.
Microsoft's limit is 25GB.

Box.com gives even more space. I believe it was just upped to 45Gb. Previously, only users who registered Apple or other companies products got that much space. We use Box in the university now :)

giga

Dropbox is far and away the best syncing and cloud storage solution for consumers. Just incredibly simple. Put the file in this folder and it'll be pushed to the cloud and to any other of your devices that have Dropbox on them.

I use the public folder all the time to quickly share large files. Solves all my problems with email attachments that have file size limits. Online hosting services do as well and aren't nearly as simple to use since they're not native.

Its web interface with versioning and undeleting files is gravy.

Skydrive is so limited with its 50MB file size limit. It's sharing feature is also cumbersome since it doesn't have true direct links to files.

oatmeal

Banned
How do you properly upload the photos for this?

Just go to your account online? Or just upload into the Photos folder?

ianp622

You need to download the beta version of the Dropbox program, then insert your SD card or connect your camera/phone, and then choose the Import into Dropbox option on the autorun menu. Or you can do it from certain phones.

iNvid02

Get beta Dropbox build with new import feature
Plug in a phone or camera
Using auto play choose Dropbox Importer

It does the rest

oatmeal

Banned
You need to download the beta version of the Dropbox program, then insert your SD card or connect your camera/phone, and then choose the Import into Dropbox option on the autorun menu. Or you can do it from certain phones.

Oh so the new software will autodetect the SD card/camera? I'm on a Mac.

Cool. Will try now.

Cool, trying it now. You get the space after the upload is finished I guess? Putting some 500MB files on my phone right now to sync.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'd say your safe, thousands of people are doing this and I haven't seen any issues with data loss or anything.

On the Mac it works the same way, the Dropbox photo importer thing will pop up when you connect a camera. Then just import to get the extra space. You'll need to be using the beta build posted in their forums to get the free space though since the current stable version doesn't have that photo import feature.

Ah, I thought I had to open something first. Thanks.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get this to work. The client just keeps saying "no new photos" when I plug in a usb key or sd card

Timan

Developer
Make sure you're using the latest beta, I was using the first build that had the auto-import and I wasn't getting the space.

The Boat

Damnit, can't get it to upload videos from the iPad just photos. Wish I knew where my mini-USB cable was so I could connect my camera, since using an SD card reader doesn't work.

Particle Physicist

so.... is the extra space supposed to just automatically show up? I just uploaded 1 GB and nothing.

i have build 1.3.13 is that the latest?

In Windows, you will see a Dropbox option on that little window that pops up every time you connect a storage device. Its the one that asks you what you want to do.

How do you create large, empty jpgs?

so.... is the extra space supposed to just automatically show up? I just uploaded 1 GB and nothing.

i have build 1.3.13 is that the latest?

Yes, it should. You should get 500MB pretty much immediately (maybe the first file upload will need to complete first?) and then every 500MBs uploaded after that. I've gotten 1.5GB so far, which is right in line with this.

Particle Physicist

oh, I had to quit the program and restart it. It shows up now. Awesome. thanks. :)

Another question. I accidentally checked off the box that said "automatically upload when camera is connected"

how do i uncheck that now? I dont see it in the preferences.

Figures my autoplay is fucked when I actually need it. I'm not even going to bother autoplay isn't popping up for none of my devices despite it being setup to pop up in the import settings.

Sigh.

clav

Figures my autoplay is fucked when I actually need it. I'm not even going to bother autoplay isn't popping up for none of my devices despite it being setup to pop up in the import settings.

Sigh.

Right click on the drive and select "Autoplay Options."

Lunchbox

Banned
is it permanent or temporary for the beta period?

i dont wanna waste time uploading random shit to find out its only for a week

been using dropbox since last year because of the iphone app. its slick

Box.com gives even more space. I believe it was just upped to 45Gb. Previously, only users who registered Apple or other companies products got that much space. We use Box in the university now :)

yeah, but box sucks and dropbox just works.

i have a 50GB box account and it goes unused because their interface is a joke.

Do I have to upload images from my phone or can I just upload general stuff?

Cheers.

you have to use the upload from camera/phone/etc option

I don't know that they've said either way explicitly, but I see no reason to suspect the space won't be permanent. They've done other (permanent) space giveaways in the past, and they've got a pretty generous referral bonus in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom