• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

You aren't. We're just used to these textures already in these threads. They still have high resolution photography to potentially increase the resolution. Reportedly that's happening on the PS4 versions (and partly why they're taking a bit longer).

Will those improvements end up on PC? That's a question we don't really know the answer to I don't think.
I know we're getting all the lighting and stuff for the PS4 (and I think PS3 as well?), but no idea on the textures... assuming that happens, it'd be stupid if we didn't.

Also, owning a machine, it truly honestly can't require that much effort to re-texture everything. Hell, as far as scanning in something like plastics, I don't even need to disassemble anything as I just order a plastics kit for High Speed for $145.

One other thing: Man, the sounds in TPA across the board are really, REALLY poor. Give me the opportunity to sample a flipper, bumper, slingshot and drain sound, let me put it in the game. There's just no feeling of actually playing a table with the aural feedback the game gives.

Bebpo

Banned
So with PC do we finally get a definitive version (no lag, no weird glitches, all effects in)?

Gave up on the PS3 version about a year ago despite wanting to love it because of all the problems and how each new patch would break tables and such. I really want to finally jump back in and enjoy all these tables once there's a version that's 99% perfect.

Minsc

Gold Member
You aren't. We're just used to these textures already in these threads. They still have high resolution photography to potentially increase the resolution. Reportedly that's happening on the PS4 versions (and partly why they're taking a bit longer).

Will those improvements end up on PC? That's a question we don't really know the answer to I don't think.

They did say they are rolling the PS4 improvements in to the PC version, sometime next year (they said Q1, so figure Q2 or Q3 Farsight time).

Here's a random pic of TotAN, I don't think the table textures are too bad, but the surrounding textures need a bit of work.

So with PC do we finally get a definitive version (no lag, no weird glitches, all effects in)?

Gave up on the PS3 version about a year ago despite wanting to love it because of all the problems and how each new patch would break tables and such. I really want to finally jump back in and enjoy all these tables once there's a version that's 99% perfect.

For a few weeks, then PS4 will be, until the PC catches up again 6 months later or so. PC version is free to play/try, so you can see for yourself simple enough. :)

Good to hear on the 3D, will have to give it a shot on my ATI setup soonish!

Presuming you're going to be doing so with TriDef, set it up with the generic profile. It'll default to using Power 3D which works pretty well. Unfortunately at this moment in time, if you go to the normal 3D mode, the overlays (so the menu and the DMD) do not display.

However, that doesn't stop you from playing Cirqus Voltaire in the normal 3D mode (which looks even better). Reflections work in TriDef (however you play it) and the default convergence is MUCH more friendly to crosstalk prone TVs.

I had a locked 60 fps whether I was doing 3D on Nvidia 3DTV (GeForce GTX260 SE or something) or with my AMD card using TriDef (HD7970).

I'm going to try a couple of different profiles to see if perhaps there's one that doesn't nerf the DMD on everything but Voltaire.

Oh, and I'd recommend you run at 1080p with SBS mode on, if you're playing on a 3DTV. It looks a lot better that way, and you'll have more than enough overhead to still be running at 60 fps. 720p 60 framepacked doesn't scale anything like as nicely.

ShaneB

The game randomly goes into slowdown bullet time mode for me.

I had this as well on a multiball, but I assumed it was because I had the AA jacked up to see what I could handle.

I bought the core pack, that should suffice for a bit with 4 tables in that one, not really liking the 2 tables per pack, but ah well.

Granted this looks better than it looked on 360 for me because my 2560x1440 IPS PC monitor is nicer than my 6.5 year old HDTV but I'm also disappointed in the textures and aliasing. Especially after trying the Pinball FX 2 Star Wars tables. FX 2 also has much better camera options. Maybe some day...

Brashnir

Got both seasons of tables, and started playing. Something seems wrong. The aliasing is terrible, and the game does not seem to be rendering correctly. Look at the right edge of the machine in this screenshot, and the flippers as examples.

This shot was taken with the game at 1080p and the anti-aliasing set to 16x. Has anybody run into similar issues? any recommendations on a fix?

bfHIC5B.jpg

vg260

I hate the UI so much. It's so bad. Look rougher than I expected overall.

I think I'm gonna hold out and see how the PS4 version looks before plunking down for the season pass.

Got both seasons of tables, and started playing. Something seems wrong. The aliasing is terrible, and the game does not seem to be rendering correctly. Look at the right edge of the machine in this screenshot, and the flippers as examples.

This shot was taken with the game at 1080p and the anti-aliasing set to 16x. Has anybody run into similar issues? any recommendations on a fix?

No idea, but was messing around with windowed mode and other graphic options, and something's messed up. Is post-processing on?

Brashnir

No idea, but was messing around with windowed mode and other graphic options, and something's messed up. Is post-processing on?

Yeah, it is...

Edit - Turning off post-processing fixed it. It looks perfect now. Good call.

If anyone is having trouble with terrible aliasing and horrible-looking textures, turn off post-processing. I'm using an ATI card, so this may not be an issue with Nvidia, but the difference is night and day, as the pics show.

BCK7aD3.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Post processing works fine (very slight pixelation around the flippers, nothing at all like your screens) on my ATI card (5870), try also setting your AA to 4x, I think a lot of ATI cards don't even do 16x and it might not even be working at all.

Brashnir

Post processing works fine (very slight pixelation around the flippers, nothing at all like your screens) on my ATI card (5870), try also setting your AA to 4x, I think a lot of ATI cards don't even do 16x and it might not even be working at all.

I tried every AA setting. it looked horrible on all of them.

It looks like it's not even rendering at 1080p in that shot with post-processing on.

Edit - just to humor you, here's a shot of 4x with post-processing on.

ZG1ycKR.jpg

and 4x without post-processing: 16x definitely looks better - look at the rail in the lower right. Your card should be able to run 16x @ 1080p/60. I'm on a pair of 5850s.

05LcqIC.jpg

Wonko_C

I tried every AA setting. it looked horrible on all of them.

It looks like it's not even rendering at 1080p in that shot with post-processing on.

Edit - just to humor you, here's a shot of 4x with post-processing on.

ZG1ycKR.jpg

and 4x without post-processing: 16x definitely looks better - look at the rail in the lower right. Your card should be able to run 16x @ 1080p/60. I'm on a pair of 5850s.

05LcqIC.jpg

Wow, that's totally weird. I have no issues with PP at all, GTX 285 here.

when I had it on, there was a weird diagonal tear from the top left of the screen to the bottom right. something I've seen in a couple of other games actually. turning it off, and it went away. I wasn't getting the horrible stepping I don't think, but I'm going to double check.

edit: yeah I was. I turned it off before even starting the first game. that aliasing on the flippers is horrendous with post processing on.

Brashnir

Here's 1440p, 16x, post processing on.

Same thing but post processing off. Definite improvement even at that res/aa.

Yours definitely doesn't look as severe as mine, but you can see some of the same symptoms there for sure. What's worse is that the post-processing seems to be on by default, and I don't see any visible benefit from it. All it does is crap the image up.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yours definitely doesn't look as severe as mine, but you can see some of the same symptoms there for sure. What's worse is that the post-processing seems to be on by default, and I don't see any visible benefit from it. All it does is crap the image up.

There's definitely a visible benefit, load up Star Trek: TNG and turn it off and on for 15 seconds of game play, the lights are a lot more pronounced with it on.

That said, whatever they do when they upgrade it to DX11 with PS4 enhancements will probably put these issues in the dust.

Brashnir

There's definitely a visible benefit, load up Star Trek: TNG and turn it off and on for 15 seconds of game play, the lights are a lot more pronounced with it on.

yeah, I suppose it does. Too bad it makes everything else look like absolute garbage.

That said, whatever they do when they upgrade it to DX11 with PS4 enhancements will probably put these issues in the dust.

Your unfailing optimism where these guys are concerned amuses me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
What's worse is that the post-processing seems to be on by default, and I don't see any visible benefit from it. All it does is crap the image up.

Look at the light source's reflections on the ball and drain lanes' bumpers (just going by the pic above, haven't got the game yet).

Brashnir

Yep. ON first, OFF second.

Nice. At least it works for someone. :)

In other, non-graphics-complaining news, I have a lot of tables to catch up on, since I've been out of the game since the 360 releases dried up.

Absolutely love Flight 2000 - hard to believe this is a Stern table. I'm normally not a fan of their games.

Wonko_C

system? other graphics settings? I'd be interested to know this.

-Core 2 Duo E8400
-4GB RAM
-Geforce GTX 285 (331.65 drivers)
-Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Game settings:
blZCztM.jpg

I didn't know this was an extremely widespread issue. Either I got very lucky or my hardware is so ancient that it somehow avoids it, LOL.

Strange they use steam wallet for dlc, anyways, bought it all :)

edit: I don't see cloud saving option, where do they place the save? I like to backup it.

-Core 2 Duo E8400
-4GB RAM
-Geforce GTX 285 (331.65 drivers)
-Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Game settings:
blZCztM.jpg

I didn't know this was an extremely widespread issue. Either I got very lucky or my hardware is so ancient that it somehow avoids it, LOL.

Using the same drivers and OS on my GTX 460 and post processing looks great. On my HD7970 not so much.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, tried the demo and yeah, this seems pretty much the definitive version. Excited to get back into the game. Couple of questions though:

1) What does post-processing even do? I didn't notice any difference on ToTAN except it looked sharper with it off. Also does it add any lag?

2) Since the tables sell through steam wallet in-game, does that mean they will never go on sale during a steam sale?

3) Any point in buying the pro versions of the tables? Only thing that seemed interesting was being able to fly around the table and look at it.

Brashnir

What's DMD?

Dot Matrix Display

Ok, tried the demo and yeah, this seems pretty much the definitive version. Excited to get back into the game. Couple of questions though:

1) What does post-processing even do? I didn't notice any difference on ToTAN except it looked sharper with it off. Also does it add any lag?

2) Since the tables sell through steam wallet in-game, does that mean they will never go on sale during a steam sale?

3) Any point in buying the pro versions of the tables? Only thing that seemed interesting was being able to fly around the table and look at it.

1) adds some bloom and makes the game look worse for a lot of people

2) No idea.

3) From what I've heard, there are very few worthwhile tables to get pro versions of. Using any Pro mode switches also disables all leaderboards. (as an aside I just realized you need to create a Farsight account to access leaderboards in this game. Games that require you to log into two accounts to play should be banned)

Shaneus

Thanks Wonko et al., I never realised it but it's definitely an ATI thing. I'm pretty sure that conclusion was never reached on the official forums... at least, not that I saw.

All I want from this game is for some universal, solid lighting (even if it's baked) but the consistency of their art packages are horrible, even across platforms. I mean, why is iOS so (generally) good yet the same tables on PC are shite?

Thanks Wonko et al., I never realised it but it's definitely an ATI thing. I'm pretty sure that conclusion was never reached on the official forums... at least, not that I saw.

All I want from this game is for some universal, solid lighting (even if it's baked) but the consistency of their art packages are horrible, even across platforms. I mean, why is iOS so (generally) good yet the same tables on PC are shite?

I doubt many people have on NVidia card and one AMD card in their PC like I do, for various fringe reasons (some games are better supported in stereoscopic 3D on one vendor over the other, and hybrid PhysX when I can be arsed to get it to work).

the added 'bloom' or whatever you want to call it, looks very nice to me. I like the way Voltaire looks especially, (well, so long as it isn't using the red or yellow neon tube).

Minsc

Gold Member
There was a post in the PC forum at PAF with two images that illustrated the post processing option nicely, so I'll post them here too:

It should really make a difference when/if they implement the night mode down the road.

I missed it before too, but also noticed it was mentioned FarSight is going to be adding original tables to TPA down the road too... maybe when table selection starts wearing thin we'll see an original table paired with a real one? Not sure everyone would be happy with that, perhaps they'd just release a pack of two original tables.

As far as original pinball tables go, nothing really comes close to Pro Pinball, so my hopes aren't too high for these, but it sounds interesting to me anyway.

There was a post in the PC forum at PAF with two images that illustrated the post processing option nicely, so I'll post them here too:

It should really make a difference when/if they implement the night mode down the road.

I missed it before too, but also noticed it was mentioned FarSight is going to be adding original tables to TPA down the road too... maybe when table selection starts wearing thin we'll see an original table paired with a real one? Not sure everyone would be happy with that, perhaps they'd just release a pack of two original tables.

As far as original pinball tables go, nothing really comes close to Pro Pinball, so my hopes aren't too high for these, but it sounds interesting to me anyway.

I do think there is potential for new tables that are physically possible but not budget restrained. I like Zen's stuff, but I prefer the realistic tables. Its not like I know every table in the real world in this game.

If the new ones are indistinguishable from old ones I've never played, I think it'd work really well. Even more so if they can get some professional designers like Ritchie and Lawlor.

Vyse24

Maybe it's just me, but the game won't let me log in to my account. Everytime I do, it tells me that I need to activate the account. My accounts already been activated though. Little help?

Brashnir

Some try it with PostFx, No AA but forced SGSSAA from drivers.

Since I seem to be seeing the issue perhaps the worst of anyone, I turned AA off entirely, and it won't matter if I turn AA on in the video drivers. Post-processing lowers the rendering resolution so much that it would end up looking the same.

In other news, Farsight have at least acknowledged the issue and are working on a fix.

Farsight said:
The Pinball Arcade
Yeah we'll be fixing that issue, it was noticed before release but we wanted to get it out on time(ish) as we did.

Bought both seasons last night and couldn't wait long enough to plug in my controller so I played Bride of Pinbot with just the mouse. Man that table makes me feel like I'm good at pinball. 5 standard goals without nudging? can do.

Minsc

Gold Member
Good news for TPA, they won't miss steam's winter sales boost afterall (from PAF):

I talked with Steam today. We are setting it up so that the Season and Season Pro packs can be bought through the DLC page on the Steam store (as well as the current method in game). This will allow gifting of Season packs.

Single Table Packs, Pro Packs, Pro Upgrades, and Custom Balls will still be bought only in game.

So you'll be able to gift season packs for a discounted price around the holidays hopefully, if Valve convinces FarSight to mark them down.

Good news for TPA, they won't miss steam's winter sales boost afterall (from PAF):

So you'll be able to gift season packs for a discounted price around the holidays hopefully, if Valve convinces FarSight to mark them down.
Nice. That might make the double dip a lot more feasible for me. I can hold out! It's getting so goddamn hard though!

Hey, quick question, I never chased down my kickstarter tables (which I think I picked Wii U on, back when that looked like it was going to happen ages ago). Where do I go to get them activated on the steam version? I figured I'd use this threads knowledge before I started googling.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice. That might make the double dip a lot more feasible for me. I can hold out! It's getting so goddamn hard though!

Hey, quick question, I never chased down my kickstarter tables (which I think I picked Wii U on, back when that looked like it was going to happen ages ago). Where do I go to get them activated on the steam version? I figured I'd use this threads knowledge before I started googling.

They were just automatically there upon logging in to your FarSight account in the Steam version. I believe that's the trigger to getting them, they're given to the email that corresponds your kickstarter and farsight accounts together.

Top Bottom