• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online (MGS4), MPO, & Vocaloid service to end on June 12th, 2012

Omikaru

http://www.konami.jp/mgo/en/hd/event/information.html

"METAL GEAR ONLINE" was included with "METAL GEAR SOLID 4" and launched on June 12th 2008.
However, we regret to announce that online service will draw to a close on June 12th 2012 after four years of service.

Thank you to everyone for your loyal support of METAL GEAR ONLINE.

Please refer to the schedule below for a list of key events leading up to final service termination on June 12th 2012:

■ March 21st 2012 16:00 (JST)
- Closure of MGO Online Shop.

■April 24th 2012 18:00 (JST)
- Expansion packs and Preset Codec Message Appeal Packs will be available for free download.
*Note: Registration for new player characters will not be available during this time.
- Reward shop equipment will be available for free.
* With the exception of "non-sale" items.

■June 12th 2012 23:59 (JST)
- End of online service.

Thank you once again for your support.
All of the staff involved offer you our sincerest thanks.

Does anyone still play this? Sucks for them if so. Especially if they bought all the DLC packs. At least it lasted longer than the MGO with MGS3.

Update #1: Apparently, MGS: Portable Ops and Portable Ops+ multiplayer servers are also getting shut down. Not confirmed yet, but I'll keep my eyes out for an English source. No big loss either way.

MGO is going dark, but is not the only one... MPO and MPO+ are being shut down as well!!

SOURCE: JAPANESE OFFICIAL KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS FACEBOOK THING.

Source: The Snake Soup Forums

Update #2: Looks like NetVOCALOID downloads for MGS: Peace Walker have been canned too.

Andrefpvs

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME :|

Damn it Konami. Damn it. Terrible news.

Well, if you still have the chance, try the game and try out the best sneaking mode in any game ever, Team Sneaking.

Coolio am cry

But seriously I p,ayed a ton of it at the begginning, but I got really frustrated by the cheaers, lag-switchers, and the uter lack of interest that Konami had to patch things in time and fix/balance their own game, too bad, the game was very unique and had potential.

Sethos

Banned
F4MjT.jpg

What a bummer, loved it when I played. Haven't in a while, I suppose it was inevitable. Are people still playing? I loved hopping on and setting up my own game to play as Raiden.

Grokbu

Aw, this is really sad. :(

I used to play this a whole lot and loved it! I have some great memories from it.

Feels bad that if I get the urge to play it again later on, I won't be able too.

bigbosssalute.jpg
oldsnakesalute.jpg

That awful sign up process, you needed like three different log-ins. And if someone else on your console already made an account, you have to pay Konami seven bucks for one for yourself.

Such a total a joke compared to the Subsistence Online.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME :|

Damn it Konami. Damn it. Terrible news.

Well, if you still have the chance, try the game and try out the best sneaking mode in any game ever, Team Sneaking.

Yes :( This sucks, even if I didn't play much and the community was dying when I started playing.

I hope this only means that MGS5 with MGO3 is closer than we think. :(

If they had made it a simple mode in the game menu and not a seperate loading game within a game, and supported it, it would have been epic. Instead it was a clusterfuck.

dc89

The multiplayer had an amazing sign up process.

...that's all I remember of it

Oh my days it was terrible. Konami ID should be hell. I think that was a big part of the game not being popular, and the amount of bull crap like one character and ID per system etc.

The game itself was fantastic, had so much fun with it. It was pretty hardcore too with quite a tough learning curve.

My brother was pretty damn good at it though. Playing as Snake in it was awesome, evading all the other players and picking them off one by one.

StuBurns

Banned
If they had made it a simple mode in the game menu and not a seperate loading game within a game, and supported it, it would have been epic. Instead it was a clusterfuck.
It should have installed completely to the console, so it was on the XMB at all times, free with all copies, then people would have shared it, but had to buy the expansions.

I can't support your multiplayer games, Konami, if you keep killing the service prior to the end of the generation. At least give it until you have a next-gen version out or something.

I loved MGO gameplay-wise but the execution was abysmal. I would have loved a stand-alone PSN version that used your PSN account.

Omikaru

It should have installed completely to the console, so it was on the XMB at all times, free with all copies, then people would have shared it, but had to buy the expansions.

That makes too much sense. Instead, you could only have one account per console, needed three logins, and for a long time couldn't buy DLC with your PS Store wallet.

What a complete and utter fucking mess. Which is really sad because the game was unique. It was probably the best bit of MGS4.

The Konami ID thing was such a trivial thing, the process took at most 5 min and then you just set it to remember your login info from then on and you never had to worry about it again.

The bigger issue to me was that you had to boot MGS4, then from there launch MGO which took a long time to load up on itself, then all the other loading just to get into a single match. And then all the cheating and lag... meh.

Bioloff

Neo Member
Disappointed, but it makes sense. I only played it when MGS4 first came out, I had a blast but there was something just missing/managed wrong with the Koonami ID etc.

I wonder what this means for the MGO arcades?

jett

D-Member
I remember putting 40 hours into the beta, having a good time. Barely spent a couple of hours in retail MP though, haven't played it in 4 years. Frankly this is kind of bullshit, they could easily keep on "supporting" this crap, I doubt it costs them all that much. Sucks for the active players that remain.

2edpphcjpg.gif

good times man, good times

Kyari

The biggest problem MGO had really was that it was set up before PSN really had its online infrastructure ironed out.
It's weird, I was just trying to play this the other day ... but then I realised that it required me to reinstall MGS4 just to play MGO so I got impatient and stopped.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone still play this?

If they're /b/ rejects, I'm sure they do.

Game was so bad in 2008 with /b/-tards and boosters and hackers that I never looked back. I'm surprised it stayed around as long as it had.

Maybe this go around, Konami will actually use PSN.

Awww man. Playing on GAF servers was the best. So many funny moments. I remember all the photo shoots GAF would do. Really sad and I hate the trend of shutting down servers.

sohois

One of my favourite online games ever made, Sneaking mode was excellent.

Generally found the game a bit easy though, especially as Snake; one time i won 5 or 6 times in a row as Snake and didn't die a single time (for some reason the game kept making me Snake). I pretty much stopped playing after that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
MGS5 better be here by next year then with ALL previous maps included in MGO3

I absolutely adored MGO, even though Konami tried their best to stop me from playing it with their Konami ID bullshit and handling of DLC.

Top Bottom