• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It begins...Sony offers 2000 yen discount campaign for Vita 3G + 1 game

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://andriasang.com/con00o/vita_cash_back/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Earlier this week, Amazon Japan started a campaign which gave a ¥2000 discount to those who bought a PlayStation Vita 3G model along with at least one game. The campaign started on February 15 and will run through March 31.

While Amazon and other retailers often run such bundle campaigns, it turns out that this may actually be an official Sony campaign. Multiple smaller retailers have reported that Sony has given them instructions to begin the same campaign on the 23rd (yes, there seems to be some annoyance that Amazon gets to start it earlier).

It's unclear if Sony will give publicity to the campaign, with an official name and campaign website, or if the campaign will be handled by retailers themselves. We should find out next week when the campaign expands to all retailers.

It's worth noting that the campaign only applies to the 3G model. Amazon is still offering this as the first run limited edition, which includes a pre-paid 3G usage card. The system's MSRP is ¥29,980, but Amazon discounts it to ¥26,707. (Amazon offers similar discounts on most systems, although the percentage varies.)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good. Gotta get that system moving in Japan. No MH but some solid games coming. Glad to see Gravity Rush selling decently at retail and PSN too.

They should really phase out 3G model,

This is my first "internet anywhere" device. I wholeheartedly disagree. Take a look at the western launch thread, I've been posting tons of direct feed OS pics too :)

ampere

Is this a sign of sadness, Wario? No bomba in the title.

The 3G model didn't seem like a great idea. Paying for 3G without being able to make phone calls is kind of silly I think.

Since OP was too lazy and for anyone that doesn't know the rate: 2000 yen = 25 U.S. bucks
So how much do the games cost in Japan? That could be like half a game... ehh meh

If only they had some killer online game to make people buy the 3g model, but instead they're selling it on the use of online apps....which I guess most people already have a smart phone contract for.

I couldn't believe it when I watched the GT review of Uncharted and they said it had no multiplayer.

fernoca

Is this a sign of sadness, Wario? No bomba in the title.

The 3G model didn't seem like a great idea. Paying for 3G without being able to make phone calls is kind of silly I think.
Phone calls aside, actual use and downloads are quite limited and at the moment no games can use 3G for multiplayer (unless I missed an update in that aspect). So it's basically paying for a 3G service, to download a few small things and browse the net.

Did the original PSP launch with a stellar Japanese line up? Is there a chart out there to compare the PSP vs. PSP Vita launch? I would love to see that. Also, can't wait to see if Capcom and Konami heavily support this system. It would be nice to see what Kojima has in store for this thing.

LiquidMetal14

whoa hey, let me get my goggles on before you start jerking that knee around

I have it, he's right. It's about on equal footing with games that are relevant for me and we're only at launch.

Eh. 3G was a stupid idea for Vita anyway.

Probably means nothing for the Wifi model.

Not when there's a market for people like me who have never owned a dedicated handheld with 3G in it. Something like this should be standard from here on out in my eyes.

DCharlie

Banned
So it's basically paying for a 3G service, to download a few small things and browse the net.

Netflix etc from next week right? 3G service has other uses just, as with a lot of things with the Vita, just not in place yet.

If my fuzzy memory is correct, this is actually WORSE than the deals in a lot of other chains - my Son has my iphone right now, but i believe CC were offering 5000 yen off if you bought a game, any mem card (any size), and a 3G model at the same time.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sales in Japan is stagnant. They probably should drop the price.

Make the price on par with the US price after conversion. After all, the system isn't even made in Japan. No reason why they couldn't do that.

Kazerei

Banned
I wonder what the split is like between Wi-Fi and 3G models. There's little reason to get a 3G model if you already have a smartphone.

daffy

Banned
You guys will find any excuse to trot out the same squabbles and one liners. This kind of stuff makes me want to be labeled as a casual.

Phone calls aside, actual use and downloads are quite limited and at the moment no games can use 3G for multiplayer (unless I missed an update in that aspect). So it's basically paying for a 3G service, to download a few small things and browse the net.

I say nuke this version. Sony needs laser focus now more than ever. People have smart phones for 3G. Sony needs AAA games for this system asap. Nintendo turned their misfortunes around fairly quickly with the big price drop, followed by many great games. Come on Sony time to play hard ball.

antonz

I really want to get a Vita and if my tax return had arrived earlier I would have jumped in but I just know a price cuts coming and my tax return is late so not sure what to do :/

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's not selling because it doesn't have anything the Japanese want to play.

Can't blame them. Japanese devs are all sorts of fail when it came to a HD game development. And the Vita is pretty close in capability to the current gen HD consoles. I simply fail to see it gaining any traction in Japan among the developers.

goldenpp72

I wouldn't do anything like that just due to the data constraints. The speeds have been great for me on even 2 bars but that's here in central FL.

But what is the data limit? Last I read it was like 250 megs.. I would use that up sending a few photos and checking email, that's probably not even enough to download a demo, that's why I was curious since right now i'm on board the wifi model.

LiquidMetal14

You guys will find any excuse to trot out the same squabbles and one liners. This kind of stuff makes me want to be labeled as a casual.

Yep, it's annoying as everyone either is trolling, or just throwing stuff out they wouldn't say in certain threads. I guess everyone wants to be a comedian or hide behind the jokes while doing some hating. It's what these threads bring.

But what is the data limit? Last I read it was like 250 megs.. I would use that up sending a few photos and checking email, that's probably not even enough to download a demo, that's why I was curious since right now i'm on board the wifi model.

Yeah, don't start doing that :p

I've used it one websites and mainly GAF and OS stuff like PSN messaging. Only 9MB used thus far in 2 days.

Vamphuntr

Apocalyptic posts already. GAF Never change.

It's more likely they are trying to get rid of their 3G model stock. I don't think you will have a price drop for all SKU for a while. It took what, like 6 months after the NA launch for the 3DS?

They should give something to 3G owners who bought it at full price in december, though.

No but seriously, Nintendo already demonstrated how to overcome this: Drop the price like it's hot, then throw a shitload of high profile games at it.

Sony needs to bite the bullet and also lick third party balls until they get some powerful exclusives.

Top Bottom