• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

i wish it was more popular in the gay community, because the most popular gay dating sites are really just hookup sites. i want a non-trashy guy thanks!

i hate when people diss others for using online dating sites. some of my friends have met boyfriends through okcupid and other sites and it's great.

BobLoblaw

Banned
It's a catch 22. SoCal women are some of the most vain, egotistical, high maintenance women I've ever met in my life. Oh, and shallow.
I think it mostly depends on the area (not moving to LA), but at this point, I'll take a shallow, vain woman over a fatty or ugo (two things in great abundance in the south). Worse case scenario, I can dump that beautiful, vain woman for another, ad nauseum. Wait, does that make me shallow?

Whatever means people need to find friendship is a-okay with me.

I've heard good things from a lot of people about this kind of way to meet. The internet is just another form of communication anyways.

For instance, I was starting to grow a friendship with someone right before I moved - now a lot of our relationship comes from skyping and messaging. It's interesting.

You are already friend-zoned.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'he never had any luck with Okcupid. I'm bad at describing myself and I am awkward with how to say hi to people on that site, never get any replies. First impressions are a bitch.

i just listened to the giantbomb e3 day 2 podcast and they were talking about pranking people on ok cupid. dont wear a blue shirt.

Eh... it's just not my time.

Mentally I'm not "all there" if you get what I'm saying.

Yeah, I totally get that one. I'm not sure if I'm there either, mentally. I'll just have to give it a try if (and that's a big if) the situation arises.
I just wanted to get across that it's not your looks or where you live. It's all in your head, which does not make it easier at all; I'd rather say it makes it harder.

mj1108

Like anything else, online dating is a crap shoot. The women in my area are either overweight, have three kids, are mentally unstable, or are socially inept. So you're scrapping the bottom of the barrel if you have to use a dating site here.

We must live in the same city/area.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
There's an unsurprising amount of terrible people in this thread, but it's GAF, what are ya gonna do.

Best of luck, OP. Hope you got good news when you come back.

Tenks

Mistake #1: Getting your hopes up before meeting the girl.
Mistake #2: Meeting during the day makes it harder to build initial attraction.
Mistake #3: Going out with a 12 year old boy.

THRILLH0

Banned
Used to be ok a few years back. Now I have to scroll through like 100 profiles just to find a girl that isn't fat and/or hideous. Too much work. Might just be my area though.

Good luck on your date!

If you've been resorting to OKcupid for years chances are you're no fuckin oil painting yourself.

Zeke

So thanks to this thread I made an account for the fuck of it and one of the first women I see has tattoos and is really cute. Thinking of sending her a message now :\

Same here! I love my girlfriend so much. She's awesome and GAF would love her. She:

-watches and loves the same shows I do (The Shield, Breaking Bad, Archer)
-buys me awesome gifts for Christmas and birthday (Batman hoodie, concert tickets to a band I've always wanted to see, etc.)
-asks me to play video games for her so she can watch me while rubbing my back
-plays 3DS with me all the time now (I just got a nice, sweet swapnote from her a few minutes ago)
-cooks delicious meals for me every day
-gave me a key to her new car which she lets me drive anywhere
-enjoys my strongly opinionated rants that have to deal with nerdy topics (I go on tirades about various facets of the gaming industry all the time around her)
-she even created a NeoGAF account because of me!

Anyway, we're perfect for each other, and it is all thanks to OKCupid (and GAFs girl-age thread which encouraged me to join OKC in the first place)

Dude, why haven't you got the ring yet? I would love to find someone like that. She sounds nice.

Thread title gave me a chuckle because I kept thinking OKcupid was completely useless to me. After it didn't work out with my previous girlfriend I thought I might as well give it a shot. Turns out this girl I've known since high school saw me on there and found out I was looking to date. We've been talking on the phone quite a bit for the last week, I'll probably ask her out this weekend if I have a chance to go out. I've always thought she was cute and wanted to get to know her better, and oddly enough now I'll get to thanks to that.

There are some good options in my area, I'm sure it's not that bad anywhere. If you're looking for some dates or to get to know someone I'm sure it's worth trying.

I had horrible luck with OK Cupid and plenty of fish. With PoF, I never once got a reply. With OKC, I sent out something like 60 messages and received one unsolicited message from a four-hundred-pound circus performer.

Eventually, I got two dates. One tricked me with a few professional-grade MySpace Angles. I messed up the other one because I was busy at work and didn't get back to her within five days.

My experience probably hinges greatly on not being what humans would call "attractive."

Galang

Banned
Sounds great, but just a word of advice from my experience, you get a whole other perception by meeting someone in real life versus online. Try not to get overly excited before you meet, I see it happen too many times. I've met people who I didn't have anything in common with, but got along with them way better than the ones that I actually got really excited for because of mutual interests/being able to talk to easily through IM. Hope it goes well! :)

Hylian7

I looked briefly on PoF....I was not impressed. I was automatically skipping over profiles that started with "I want a man that loves me as much as he loves Jesus" as well as "I love Jesus as much as I love my 3 kids."

I was also not impressed that the most common body types were "BBW" and "A few extra pounds", and the "A few extra pounds" ones looked fatter than the "BBW" ones. Noooooooooope.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I looked briefly on PoF....I was not impressed. I was automatically skipping over profiles that started with "I want a man that loves me as much as he loves Jesus" as well as "I love Jesus as much as I love my 3 kids."

I was also not impressed that the most common body types were "BBW" and "A few extra pounds", and the "A few extra pounds" ones looked fatter than the "BBW" ones. Noooooooooope.
What part of the country do you live in?

Just as I typed that, I checked my messages and I got a phone number, oh wow.

Here's some good ones though.

The idea that we all are devolving is kind of fun to think about, I was just talking to my cousin about this like 4 hours ago. We started from Pangaea, and as the continents split apart we all evolved, and now as the continents are all coming together we all are devolving. Well that's what your screen name reminded me of, so what does it really mean?

I like your nose. ;)

I guees "seeing someone" means that you are not available, but maybe you could message me if you break up soon.

I just don't know what I've been doing wrong....

are you really seeing someone? cause i think your pretty super in a i might be afraid of you sort of way. my names chino i brush my teeth in the shower and sometimes if i'm tired i'll pee in it too. unfortunately all that is true. (sorry if that's gross i'm just trying to make you laugh)

Do you have any naughty pics?​

BobLoblaw

Banned
South Texas, I know, I know.
Lol! I knew it was in the southern US somewhere. Try using filters man. If fatties or women with kids aren't your thing, you should be able to avoid seeing their profiles. I think match.com has the best filters out there.

Hylian7

Lol! I knew it was in the southern US somewhere. Try using filters man. If fatties or women with kids aren't your thing, you should be able to avoid seeing their profiles. I think match.com has the best filters out there.

I decided I'd rather just not do online dating anyway. It will be a VERY last resort.

Zeke

are you really seeing someone? cause i think your pretty super in a i might be afraid of you sort of way. my names chino i brush my teeth in the shower and sometimes if i'm tired i'll pee in it too. unfortunately all that is true. (sorry if that's gross i'm just trying to make you laugh)
that one got me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom