• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-27-2012, 06:15 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar
While we're on the topic of job postings, why don't we check out the people who absolutely, positively know what's up.

The most notable things are in bold.

Originally Posted by Lionhead

Lead Programmer, Engine Job
Apply now »

Date: Feb 2, 2012

Location: Guildford, GB
Job Category: Software Engineering: Development
Location: Guildford, GB
Job ID: 784173-73765
Division: Interactive Entertainment Business

Location: Lionhead Studios, Guildford

Sakary: competitive

Closing date: 2nd March 2012


Role Purpose

Lionhead Studios is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Lead Engine Programmer to be a key contributor on an unannounced title. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about games (and game development) and has significant experience leading teams designing and implementing modern rendering engines (DX11). The role will initially focus on working with the Art department and the Technical Director in order to define the rendering requirements for the game and helping to build and nurture an engine team to implement them in the context of an existing codebase. It will then focus on ensuring performance and rendering quality requirements are met.


Team/Department Mission

Are you a highly talented individual who enjoys a challenge and is brimming with drive and enthusiasm? Do you feel your skills and talents are waiting to find the right creative environment in which to thrive?

At Lionhead we strive to create successful, landmark games and to be one of the world’s most respected developers. To that end we are continually looking for bright, talented individuals to join our team. We are well aware that new employees and fresh ideas keep us the dynamic and creative Studio that we are!


Key Accountabilities:

-Work with the Art department and the Technical Director to establish rendering ambition

-Technical design, implementation and integration of the rendering features required by the game design

-Contribute to the recruitment of engine team members as required.

-Day to day management of engine team members.

-Work with the Art department towards ensuring the effectiveness of Art pipelines, tools and processes

-Work with the Art department in order to ensure rendering quality realises their vision

-Be a major stakeholder in the area of rendering performance


Key Success Criteria:

-The rendering pipeline is of high enough quality to support both the game design and the Art department’s ambitions

-Rendering performance is adequate throughout the game development

-The engine team has clearly defined work goals and performance feedback throughout development.


Knowledge, Skills and Experience


1) Essential Experience

-A minimum of 1 shipped AAA title as a senior or lead graphics programmer on the current generation (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

-Previous graphics programming experience


2) Desired Experience

-Experience managing a team of at least 2 programmers a plus.

-Ability to write large new engine systems as well as maintain and restructure existing ones

-Knowledge of Unreal Engine.



3) Technical/Functional Skills

-Fluent in C++ and shader languages (HLSL/GLSL/Cg)

-Ability to balance aesthetic requirements with performance needs.

-Knowledge of Direct3D 11 (compute shaders, tessellation etc.). OpenGL 4.x experience also considered.

-Actively follows developments in graphics and engine design research topics, in particular real-time lighting techniques such as real-time global illumination and deferred rendering pipelines


-Excellent knowledge of current generation engine methods and techniques covering a variety of wide-ranging fields such as post-processing, lighting, animation and resource streaming


4) Personal Attributes/Interpersonal Skills

-Passion for playing games

-Excellent communication skills, along with proven ability to work effectively with content creators to improve their workflows

Source: http://www.microsoft-careers.com/job...rogrammer_LHCP
jump_button
Banned
(02-27-2012, 06:17 PM)
jump_button's Avatar
more getting ready for next gen really starting to kick off now... not sure if i want them too yet feel way to soon
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(02-27-2012, 06:19 PM)
subversus's Avatar
When was this posted? There was some event at Bellevue a week ago. I wonder if these recent vacancies were posted after MS showed what they are up to.
Darklord
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:20 PM)
Darklord's Avatar

Originally Posted by jump_button

not sure if i want them too yet feel way to soon

God, this generation has gone on so long. When you have a good PC and go back to consoles it's like going from 360 to Xbox at this point.

People keep saying it's too soon but the second the hype machine starts EVERYONE will be ready.
BlazingDarkness
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:21 PM)
BlazingDarkness's Avatar

Originally Posted by jump_button

more getting ready for next gen really starting to kick off now... not sure if i want them too yet feel way to soon

We probably won't see this stuff for at least another 18 months, so the timing is about right IMO
Blizzard
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:22 PM)
Blizzard's Avatar
If UE4 has a good realtime lighting solution and it comes to UDK, I will have to dance a little jig of joy.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-27-2012, 06:22 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by subversus

When was this posted? There was some event at Bellevue a week ago. I wonder if these recent vacancies were posted after MS showed what they are up to.

February 2nd.

Lionhead is also making an MMO to note.

Originally Posted by Blizzard

If UE4 has a good realtime lighting solution and it comes to UDK, I will have to dance a little jig of joy.

Unreal Engine 4 actually bounces light three times.

Tim Sweeney has a good talk about it here: http://www.gamespot.com/unreal-1990/...ssion-6350144/
Elginer
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:23 PM)
Elginer's Avatar
Next-gen Fable would be nice, even nicer if it's like Fable 2 with the combat of Reckoning.
herzogzwei1989
Banned
(02-27-2012, 06:23 PM)
Getting pumped for the next generation of consoles!
BlazingDarkness
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:24 PM)
BlazingDarkness's Avatar

Originally Posted by Elginer

Next-gen Fable would be nice, even nicer if it's like Fable 2 with the combat of Reckoning.

They need to drop Fable and make a new I.P
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(02-27-2012, 06:24 PM)
subversus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak


Unreal Engine 4 actually bounces light three times.

it can bounce 10 times, if you have to bake it the whole fucking night it kinda sucks.
Globox_82
Banned
(02-27-2012, 06:26 PM)
Globox_82's Avatar
Omg just imagine having to listen to Peter in one of his drama queen speeches about "finally" being able to "feel" blablalbla
Blizzard
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:28 PM)
Blizzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Unreal Engine 4 actually bounces light three times.

Tim Sweeney has a good talk about it here: http://www.gamespot.com/unreal-1990/...ssion-6350144/

Can't really check out the video right now, but thanks. Is it a baked bouncing thing, or a realtime thing ala CryEngine, though? That's the big issue and one of UE3/UDK's biggest weaknesses in my opinion.
Conor 419
Banned
(02-27-2012, 06:29 PM)
I'd like to see Fable IV, just because I feel Peter Molyneux needs one last chance to redeem the IP, truly build on Fable II and create the critically acclaimed title he's been so eager to deliver.

After that though, get Lionhead on some unique shit, and that doesn't include Kinect.
inky
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:38 PM)
inky's Avatar
Whatever happened to their megameshes technology? It was from Lionhead, right? Was it just a nice tech demo?

Edit: I know it's probably not relevant, but just wondering.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-27-2012, 06:41 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blizzard

Can't really check out the video right now, but thanks. Is it a baked bouncing thing, or a realtime thing ala CryEngine, though? That's the big issue and one of UE3/UDK's biggest weaknesses in my opinion.

Realtime bouncing, which is a notable part of why it takes a lot of power to run.

Originally Posted by subversus

it can bounce 10 times, if you have to bake it the whole fucking night it kinda sucks.

Not baking.
themadcowtipper
Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
(02-27-2012, 06:45 PM)
themadcowtipper's Avatar
This time when you plant a tree it will grow and have huge effects on the game.
i-Lo
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:49 PM)
i-Lo's Avatar
Were the previous Fable games on 360 based on Unreal Engine 3?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-27-2012, 06:50 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Were the previous Fable games on 360 based on Unreal Engine 3?

Nope.

Fable: The Journey will be the first one.

Judging by their job postings though, all their future projects seem to be using it.
Danielsan
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:50 PM)
Danielsan's Avatar
They should look into hiring some good game designers.
i-Lo
Member
(02-27-2012, 06:58 PM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Nope.

Fable: The Journey will be the first one.

Judging by their job postings though, all their future projects seem to be using it.

Aye thanks.

It looks like the proliferation of middleware engines will grow to an even larger size. It just keeps on getting better for the developers of these engines.
eso76
(02-27-2012, 07:07 PM)
eso76's Avatar
UE4 ? What happened to their mega meshes engine ?
looked very promising : \

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyqryrN-I0
dragonelite
Member
(02-27-2012, 07:16 PM)
dragonelite's Avatar

Originally Posted by inky

Whatever happened to their megameshes technology? It was from Lionhead, right? Was it just a nice tech demo?

Edit: I know it's probably not relevant, but just wondering.

Not for games people.
But used in the art pipeline to speed up art asset/world creation.
Maybe we will see some of the tech back in a game but so far that i know it was used for production.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(02-27-2012, 07:17 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlazingDarkness

They need to drop Fable and make a new I.P

B.C.

Believe
Sho_Nuff82
(02-27-2012, 07:19 PM)
Sho_Nuff82's Avatar
One engine future.

Lionhead Studios is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Lead Engine Programmer to be a key contributor on an unannounced title. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about games (and game development) and has significant experience leading teams designing and implementing modern rendering engines (DX11)

Unfortunately this quote still doesn't tell us anything about the range of the card, only that it has features beyond the HD 4000 series.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-27-2012, 07:21 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danielsan

They should look into hiring some good game designers.

They actually are working on that: http://www.microsoft-careers.com/job...r-Job/1473622/

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

One engine future.



Unfortunately this quote still doesn't tell us anything about the range of the card, only that it has features beyond the HD 4000 series.

By tech I meant techniques as opposed to technology.

I realize that's not clear now.
Rapstah
Member
(02-27-2012, 07:21 PM)
Rapstah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

One engine future.



Unfortunately this quote still doesn't tell us anything about the range of the card, only that it has features beyond the HD 4000 series.

That doesn't mean they have the exact specs of the nextbox card, they could just be assuming what everyone else is assuming. And didn't Fable 3 come to PC pretty recently? Cursive because it might have been a year.
Danielsan
Member
(02-27-2012, 08:28 PM)
Danielsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

They actually are working on that: http://www.microsoft-careers.com/job...r-Job/1473622/

Well that's good news. I enjoy the Fable games aesthetically but the actual games underneath are just mediocre at best. Hopefully the studio can progress in the next generation.
sixteen-bit
Member
(02-27-2012, 08:31 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

B.C.

Believe

Dead and buried.
i-Lo
Member
(02-27-2012, 08:41 PM)
i-Lo's Avatar
Was HD5XXX series from Ati the first one to support DX11?
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(02-27-2012, 08:53 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by _dementia

Dead and buried.

Never give up, never surrender!
Mr Swine
Member
(02-28-2012, 11:00 PM)
Mr Swine's Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Was HD5XXX series from Ati the first one to support DX11?

Yup

Thread Tools