• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda GDC Talk: Evolving Physics and Sounds for Tears of the Kingdom

Lethal01

----
Developers of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom discuss structuring an expanded Hyrule around physics-based gameplay and evolved sound design! Join the game's Technical Director Takuhiro Dohta, Lead Physics Programmer Takahiro Takayama, and Lead Sound Engineer Junya Osada as they explore challenges their teams faced when approaching this sequel. They will share insights on Link's new abilities, composing Hyrule's expanded sound design and music, and how these go hand-in-(Ultra)hand to create a new experience for players. By the end of Mr. Dohta, Mr. Takayama, and Mr. Osada's talk, they aim to give attendees and players everywhere new perspective on the world of Tears of the Kingdom and -the innovations within.
----

Developers still haven't made an open world better than breath of the wild so hopefully they will take the time to learn when Nintendo explains how they outdid themselves with ToTK, since nobody else could.

image.png

Last edited:

Hugare

Developers still haven't made an open world better than breath of the wild so hopefully they will take the time to learn when Nintendo explains how they outdid themselves with ToTK, since nobody else could.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Maybe they had other priorities, like developing the main quest, side quests, dungeons, dialogue ...

Pretty much everything that was undercooked in BOTW/TOTK

I enjoyed TOTK a lot, but a 10/10 it was not.

It had the blueprint for one of the best games of all time, but it didnt excell in all fronts. Far from it.

Anyway, physics is something that the game excelled at, so I'll definitely watch it

daclynk

This is how gameplay evolution happens. Cant wait too see what they do with even Newer Tech like RT and features for NXT GEN.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Twilight princess and OOT are still so much better.
Indeed they are! They beat the newest games big time when it comes to story, items/mechanics, level design and music. Man do I miss having actual dungeons.

BOTW and TOTK have their appeal too ofc, they have a nice sense of adventure and freedom, but I think they lost part of the charm along the way.

BlackTron

I agree that modern Zelda are great games but they leave nothing to fill the shoes left behind by old 3D Zelda which sucks. They could do a better job representing the gameplay of Zelda in the current entries, or release smaller sister games, or something.

Sadly N seems content to rely completely on remakes and remasters to fulfill this itch.

I loved Tears of the Kingdom but would also love a traditional zelda game in the vein of OoT or TP. In TotK I found the entrance to the spirit temple super early in the game and was so hyped. I thought, oh snap there's gonna be a final dungeon to go through before the end. Alas, it wasn't meant to be and ended up being the biggest disappointment of the game for me. It would have been like a final wow moment that so many past zelda games have had. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed TotK but that was a huge missed opportunity in my opinion.

RCU005

I miss classic 3D Zelda like you wouldn't believe.

The new format could work flawlessly if they incorporated classic features. They went all in in the open world that they completely disregarded everything else.

- Zelda must have dungeons, it's in its DNA, and both times having 4 ridiculous attempt of something and be copy-paste of each other really harmed the game as a Zelda game.

- The story while hasn't been super deep, it was always good enough. This time, they added voice acting, and in BOTW created a great world with great characters but were completely wasted due to the openness of its gameplay.

- The new gameplay is good, but it misses a lot of polish in combat. Also, why can't we have classic items as well as the ultra hand and stuff? They could definitely co-exist.

IMO, the perfect Zelda game right now would be a mix between both classic formula and the new format. They can have the open world as-is, but make a linear story, with great characters and make great dungeons. That's it.

BlackTron

The new format could work flawlessly if they incorporated classic features. They went all in in the open world that they completely disregarded everything else.

- Zelda must have dungeons, it's in its DNA, and both times having 4 ridiculous attempt of something and be copy-paste of each other really harmed the game as a Zelda game.

- The story while hasn't been super deep, it was always good enough. This time, they added voice acting, and in BOTW created a great world with great characters but were completely wasted due to the openness of its gameplay.

- The new gameplay is good, but it misses a lot of polish in combat. Also, why can't we have classic items as well as the ultra hand and stuff? They could definitely co-exist.

IMO, the perfect Zelda game right now would be a mix between both classic formula and the new format. They can have the open world as-is, but make a linear story, with great characters and make great dungeons. That's it.

The beautiful and extremely unintended consequence of all this is that Nintendo now has an ample upgrade path of improvements towards that perfect Zelda game that they can drip feed us for millennia.

Jinzo Prime

I hope the Zelda Engine is used for more games at Nintendo, even if they don't use all the physics. It is well optimized for low end hardware, open world gameplay, has good pathfinding, load on demand, and now even a sound engine; why shouldn't Pokemon, Splatoon, or Mario make use of it?

Robb

Gold Member
why shouldn't Pokemon, Splatoon, or Mario make use of it?
Seems kind of daunting I imagine. I’ve just seen snippets of the talk thus far but development seems like a nightmare, and we already know they spent one whole year of play-testing just to get things right in TotK, despite already having a working foundation with BotW.

It’s a neat engine but seems very specific and tricky to work with if you’d like to adapt it to something new. Looks like changing just a minor thing will affect a myriad of other things and have unintended effects you couldn’t even foresee..

The bugs they show in the video is pretty much what I imagine the actual release would look like if they handed this engine to GameFreak…
OcwWP7Q.jpeg

Jinzo Prime

Seems kind of daunting I imagine. I’ve just seen snippets of the talk thus far but development seems like a nightmare, and we already know they spent one whole year of play-testing just to get things right in TotK, despite already having a working foundation with BotW.

It’s a neat engine but seems very specific and tricky to work with if you’d like to adapt it to something new. Looks like changing just a minor thing will affect a myriad of other things and have unintended effects you couldn’t even foresee..

The bugs they show in the video is pretty much what I imagine the actual release would look like if they handed this engine to GameFreak…
OcwWP7Q.jpeg

What I would hope for is Nintendo to build some proper engine tools with documentation so that all their teams could use it.

I would also hope that Nintendo or Monolithsoft would basically make the next Pokemon game with Gamefreak just doing the art and story.

Top Bottom