• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klei Entertainment (Shank) Making XBLA Stealth Platformer, Out In Summer.

Saty

The game is called 'Mark of the Ninja'.

Debut trailer: http://vimeo.com/37417764

600x-1

600x-1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-27-shank-developer-announces-mark-of-the-ninja

MS is investing a lot into XBLA this year. Probably a strong sign that accounts will carry over to the next platform. Can't really see shit in those screens, but Shank was fun so I'll def check it out.

Great... I think I'll be skipping Shank 2 after this announcement. No, no, it's cool... take the money people on OTHER platforms spend and make an exclusive game. Nice job.

Adam J.

Wow, Klei have been killing it lately. Seems like Shank 2 came out of nowhere and now a new ninja game this summer? Can't wait!

This looks pretty good. Microsoft is publishing a lot of titles this year for XBLA. This is by far more than any other year--already. Here is Wikipedia's list, which I regularly monitor and update.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Deadlight
Sine Mora
Dungeon Fighter Live
Bloodforge'**
Fez
The Splatters
Haunt
Happy Action Theater
Spelunky HD
Skulls of the Shogun
Trials Evolution
Battleblock Theater
Fire Pro Wrestling
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Diabolical Pitch
Project Draco
Minecraft
Mark of the Ninja

Very impressive.

I'm aware that MS is paying some money for this. But, to my knowledge, they don't write them a check for all of their expenses.

Either be an exclusive studio, or don't. Don't wish-wash. I fucking hate that shit.

I think you're reading too much into this. Klei had an opportunity to publish with Microsoft instead of EA, and they wanted to experiment. Plus, it's probably going to be in the Summer of Arcade, and those titles typically fair decently (though less each year).

TheOddOne

Great... I think I'll be skipping Shank 2 after this announcement. No, no, it's cool... take the money people on OTHER platforms spend and make an exclusive game. Nice job.
Maby you should blame other publishers for not picking up this game. Screw MS for putting their resources behind this project and the support Klei is getting from them.

szaromir

Banned
I didn't like the first Shank (much less fun than the kind of similar Dishwasher games), but the teaser trailer seems to show a cool concept. I am a big fan of stealth genre after all.

Lol, sorry to break it to you but by buying Shank 2 you buy exactly that, a product named Shank 2 and not a potential for future titles.

Lol, sorry to break it to you but by buying Shank 2 you buy exactly that, a product named Shank 2 and not a potential for future titles.

Isn't this the EXACT opposite of what we try to support here on Gaf? We buy new games so publishers have the money to continue making the games we like on the platforms we want to play them on?

Sorry, but purchasing a product is also voting with your dollars. You can't have it one way sometimes, and another when it is convenient. Either purchasing a product always is a non-contractual obligation to support those fans, or it never is. Outside of very specific circumstances, it is like this.

TheOddOne

Isn't this the EXACT opposite of what we try to support here on Gaf? We buy new games so publishers have the money to continue making the games we like on the platforms we want to play them on?

Sorry, but purchasing a product is also voting with your dollars. You can't have it one way sometimes, and another when it is convenient. Either purchasing a product always is a non-contractual obligation to support those fans, or it never is. Outside of very specific circumstances, it is like this.
Since when does GAF support publishers? I thought GAF was about the developer.

I would be on the same page if the IP was Shank that went exclusive, but this another situation. Klei can do whatever they want, they do not have a "non-contractual obligation to support those fans" when shopping around their game.

What publisher bites and wants to publish their game is also not at fault here; any first party publisher ofcourse want the game to be exclusive because they are putting their weight behind the project. This is great for Klei, they get funding and the publisher gets a premier title. This is all a win-win situation for both parties.

I buy games because I like to play games. I don't fucking buy games and then jerk off all over my Xbox in hopes that they never fucking develop a game for any other console. You sound like you just came over from Gamespot system wars, and it's pretty sad.

I buy games because I like to play games. I don't fucking buy games and then jerk off all over my Xbox in hopes that they never fucking develop a game for any other console. You sound like you just came over from Gamespot system wars, and it's pretty sad.

Why? Because I like games made by a specific developer and now I won't be able to play their newest game? I know, it's crazy.

I don't like them enough to buy an Xbox for it, so I guess it works out alright.

Why? Because I like games made by a specific developer and now I won't be able to play their newest game? I know, it's crazy.

I don't like them enough to buy an Xbox for it, so I guess it works out alright.

I see what you're saying, but this type of stuff happens all the time, and in some cases, it may be the only way a developer can survive. As TheOddOne stated, though, I'd see it as a bigger offense if it was in the same series.

And I am sure there will be a few folks who will buy an Xbox 360 for this game. I'm sure that's why Microsoft saw it as a good investment opportunity.

Satchel

Banned
Year of XBLA.

I swear MS should sell a super cheap DD only box specifically for XBLA titles after the new Xbox is released and the 360 is discontinued.

So much win coming to the platform this year.

So your solution is to come on GAF and spew some system wars tripe like some blind ass fanboy? Shit comes out on platforms I don't own all the time. Rough, it's life. I don't start the hate parade over it. You're coming off as petty and juvenile.

I see what you're saying, but this type of stuff happens all the time, and in some cases, it may be the only way a developer can survive. As TheOddOne stated, though, I'd see it as a bigger offense if it was in the same series.

And I am sure there will be a few folks who will buy an Xbox 360 for this game. I'm sure that's why Microsoft saw it as a good investment opportunity.

I see where you're coming from, and you are right.

Just sucks when something fairly innovative comes out on other platforms, especially from a dev you like. Not enough to justify a purchase of a new console, but enough to want it.

To the other commenter: I think you might want to go and check the definition of a fanboy. I like my platform the best, but that doesn't mean anything negative for the others. I hope they are successful as well... competition and all that.

mujun

I see where you're coming from, and you are right.

Just sucks when something fairly innovative comes out on other platforms, especially from a dev you like. Not enough to justify a purchase of a new console, but enough to want it.

To the other commenter: I think you might want to go and check the definition of a fanboy. I like my platform the best, but that doesn't mean anything negative for the others. I hope they are successful as well... competition and all that.

Would you complain if this game was coming out for your console of choice and not the others?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I love games built around solid stealth mechanics and this looks like it will be good. Consider me interested.

This looks pretty good. Microsoft is publishing a lot of titles this year for XBLA. This is by far more than any other year--already. Here is Wikipedia's list, which I regularly monitor and update.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Deadlight
Sine Mora
Dungeon Fighter Live
Bloodforge'**
Fez
The Splatters
Haunt
Happy Action Theater
Spelunky HD
Skulls of the Shogun
Trials Evolution
Battleblock Theater
Fire Pro Wrestling
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Diabolical Pitch
Project Draco
Minecraft
Mark of the Ninja

Very impressive.

Indeed. Irks me when people ignore Arcade (and Indie Games) when talking about X360 exclusives and how the platform is somehow supposed to be devoid of them compared to PS3. DD counts, damn it.

Krilekk

Banned
XBLA this year is making me hard.

It's been that way for quite some time now. IMO it is an elaborate strategy to lead their customers towards the digital only future. Tease them with cheap high value games, once their backlog is big enough they don't want it any other way and enjoy having all games in their library no matter the cost. They are copying Steam as good as they can (but Steam copies from MS as well, see achievements). Next thing you know they have at least a cheap digital only next gen SKU in the market. Maybe with Skydrive (cloud service) for storage.

Sorry to break it to you, but there are many developers who make multiplatform games, but also develop a platform exclusive here and there or the other way around. Are you boycotting all of them?

ArjanN

More people should play Shank 2, it's great and a big improvement over the first gameplay-wise IMO. It controls a lot more fluid and responsive and the level design is better.

This also looks neat. Will pick it up when it hits PC eventually which is pretty much a given.

szaromir

Banned
More people should play Shank 2, it's great and a big improvement over the first gameplay-wise IMO. It controls a lot more fluid and responsive and the level design is better.
I'll download the demo, but honestly I don't think that formula (extremely simplistic 2D action game) can be turned into something fun. The Dishwasher 1/2 and Bloodrayne were much, much better.

Top Bottom