• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaMan Powered UP not on PSN because SCEA can't get it to run in digital form

Spiegel

Why did Powered Up never make the move to PSN? Capcom say it’s because of technical difficulties. Two years ago, Capcom’s Christian Svensson shared: “There are techinical problems that neither we or Sony are able to get around. The game doesn’t run properly when put in digital form. So it’s physical only for the time being (hold onto those UMDs, they’re gonna be valuable).”

This week, a PlayStation Vita owner asked once again if there was any chance of the game seeing a PSN release, and Svensson provided the same reply once again: “Frankly, I’m not sure but SCEA has never been able to get it to run in digital form and they handle the conversion process.”

That having been said, Mega Man Powered Up is available on the Japanese PlayStation Network. Why is this the case? According to Svensson: “There’s different code in each territory. I’m not sure what Japan managed to do but Sony seems unable to make it work in the US with US code.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/28/why-is-mega-man-powered-up-not-on-the-playstation-network/

What?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't get this conversion process. What's so special? People with CFW can just rip and run games at will.

Emitan

It's okay, Sony. I'm sure DarkAlex will be more than willing to explain how PSP games work to your software engineers.

I ripped my UMD and run it on my Go, but there are audio and other problems. Twisted Metal Head On also has problems where there're no sound effects. No sure if that's relevant at all.

Kingdom Hearts BBS works perfectly, though. Where's the excuse there!

ElFly

Wonder if this is the same problem with Ghosts and Goblins PSP.

e: actually read the op...sounds like bullshit?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
US PSN doesnt have Unicode support.

these guys........fuck
Trolling+is+an+art+_7e4609f5fede4a9f3aa57da83ee8736a.jpg

suikoden352

Neo Member
sounds like a big bowl of bullshit to me honestly. if normal joe's and jane's can rip it off the disc and get it working digitally just fine then there's not excuse for them not being able to do the same. come on, sony. you're better than this.

Kusagari

After he purposefully lied about AAI's sales numbers, I'm hesitant to believe anything Sven says on situations like this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I ripped my UMD and run it on my Go, but there are audio and other problems. Twisted Metal Head On also has problems where there're no sound effects. No sure if that's relevant at all.

Kingdom Hearts BBS works perfectly, though. Where's the excuse there!

disney doesn't want to do it apparently

stuminus3

Wonder if this is the same problem with Ghosts and Goblins PSP.

e: actually read the op...sounds like bullshit?
The problem is that contrary to popular belief, it's not "free" for them to rip a UMD and throw it up on PSN (and it's not as simple as that anyway). There's flat out no budget allocated to doing so. Plain and simple. Svensson just has a serious problem in flat out admitting to it, he always has. It's the same reason the Wii VC is kind of balls when everyone expected huge libraries of classics within months. Nintendo just choose to not say anything at all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sven lies. A lot. One day someone will have to assemble all the stuff he's just straight up lied about in a fantastic thread of comeuppance.

Its not up because of licensing issues with the originals translation, isn't it? Thats what I've seen reported before.

ElFly

The problem is that contrary to popular belief, it's not "free" for them to rip a UMD and throw it up on PSN (and it's not as simple as that anyway). There's flat out no budget allocated to doing so. Plain and simple. Svensson just has a serious problem in flat out admitting to it, he always has. It's the same reason the Wii VC is kind of balls when everyone expected huge libraries of classics within months. Nintendo just choose to not say anything at all.

Reasonable guess.

Baha

Sounds more like licensing issues of some sort if it's available in one region and not in any others. That or Capcom + SCEA don't think it's worth their time because that technical issues excuse sounds like grade A bullshit.

Obviously "technical difficulties" is not the actual answer. This guy must think we're all idiots for believing we'd buy that explanation. That is dictator quality bullshit story telling right there. Just give people the truth.

Kafel

Banned
Diabolic scheme from Capcom. They're not allowing it.

What's next ? Some S-E titles corrupt databases when you try to upload them ?

Emitan

Obviously "technical difficulties" is not the actual answer. This guy must think the rest of us are idiots for thinking we'd buy that explanation. I'm sure it's money/licensing related.

I don't get how companies lose licensing over their own products.

SEGA: "Let's not actually own the music in the classic Sonic games. What could go wrong?"

Baha

I don't get how companies lose licensing over their own products.

SEGA: "Let's not actually own the music in the classic Sonic games. What could go wrong?"

Could be voice acting royalties or something. Konami ran into that issue with the Silent Hill HD collection and James' VA. Though you'd think they'd account for something like that when making games nowadays.

Top Bottom