• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I'm a bigger Nintendo fan than anyone. Bought every system they ever put out their games are my favorites. Now I wish they would change everything about them because my tastes changed slightly.

Do you see how crazy that sounds?

Sadist

We also know about a handful of games for the system. Let's wait with this discussion after we know more about it's future line-up.

Nibel

I love Nintendo, but we all have to admit that it's basically just a fucking company that never learns which is why they are always a generation behind.

BTW, who has the honor to make thread no.4? I think I'm the best fit because I'm a adorable poster and my avatar has a melon in it #DatIgnorance #Baaaaallliiiiin

The only thing Nintendo should have done imo, and we don't know 100% whether they did or not, was ask what the big developers needed to ensure their next-generation games will be on the console, with NO excuses, and then put whatever that is in the WiiU, downscaled or whatever.

We know they talked to devs, but the level to which they caved is a question.

That's my only one hope. Everything else is unimportant to me.

Sadist

I love Nintendo, but we all have to admit that it's basically just a fucking company that never learns which is why they are always a generation behind.

BTW, who has the honor to make thread no.4? I think I'm the best fit because I'm a adorable poster and my avatar has a melon in it #DatIgnorance #Baaaaallliiiiin
Noooooo mmeeeeeee

* I'm allready working on it

SuomiDude

Personally, no matter if Wii U is going to be just current generation level powerwise, it'll still going to be a huge leap for me. My computer can play games from around 2002 or so, but anything much more demanding is a no-no. My newest and most powerful console is Wii, but I've still been enjoying gaming a lot. Out of about 100 games I have, 1/4 are Wii games, and I have all major Nintendo consoles/handhelds except 3DS. So yeah, I shouln't have problems with Wii U :D

The only thing Nintendo should have done imo, and we don't know 100% whether they did or not, was ask what the big developers needed to ensure their next-generation games will be on the console, with NO excuses, and then put whatever that is in the WiiU, downscaled or whatever.

We know they talked to devs, but the level to which they caved is a question.

That's my only one hope. Everything else is unimportant to me.
Isn't it confirmed that Cry3 will run on the system? That would only leave UE4, which we've heard rumors of it being done.
After that, third party muktiplats should be fairly given. Especially the big ones.

I'm a bigger Nintendo fan than anyone. Bought every system they ever put out their games are my favorites. Now I wish they would change everything about them because my tastes changed slightly.

Change everything? Hyperbole much? He wanted better hardware & third party support for the system. That doesn't make him any less of a fan of Nintendo, considering some people here have expressed the same thing. It's like if you don't participate in the circle jerk you get immediately criticized.

Isn't it confirmed that Cry3 will run on the system? That would only leave UE4, which we've heard rumors of it being done.
After that, third party muktiplats should be fairly given. Especially the big ones.
and lets face it, I'm sure cry3 is good and all, but literally everyone and their moms will end up using UE4. So Epic better have worked hard on putting it on the WiiU, or making it VERY scalable with UE3, and Nintendo better have worked hard to make it all work out for everyone.

I honestly don't care about 3rd party games looking a little worse (or even plenty worse), as long as they ALL come, not just random ones. If I'm itching for the grafixx I'll just cave on a new video card.

Change everything? Hyperbole much? He wanted better hardware & third party support for the system. That doesn't make him any less of a fan of Nintendo, considering some people here have expressed the same thing. It's like if you don't participate in the circle jerk you get immediately criticized.

But it's not as easy as people think, Nintendo made the GameCube on par but it didn't get support from 3rd partys. Baby steps, baby steps...

No Wii U at PAX is a GOOD sign!!!

Means they have a lot of new impressive stuff for Wii U that they don't want anything from a recent conference confusing people.

Define better hardware. Should they pull a Sony and charge $600 and still blow through billions in loses to please a vast minority of tech heads? Seems silly too me. I can fully appreciate the want for better graphics but that is hardly the end all be all for most people. I'm sorry. And it's not like the Wii U is going have ugly games. This generation looked beautiful, so better than that (what the Wii U will be) can not be bad.
as for third party support, this is something they are clearly working on, but it's a slow process and it takes time to nurture those relationships.

Penguin

I feel like "circle jerk" is one of those terms you should only use if you're ready to lose all credibility in an argument.

Like "entitled" or "nazi."

Pretty much.
I think there are terms which just pretty much shuts people down from listening to you any further.

Because its throwing up a white flag, no matter what you say, I already have my stance!

No Wii U at PAX is a GOOD sign!!!

Means they have a lot of new impressive stuff for Wii U that they don't want anything from a recent conference confusing people.

It's not really a sign of anything other than Nintendo sticking to their E3 plans.

PAX would be a weird place for a reveal compared to E3.

Even Nintendo has had to adapt, they finally caved in to the online era! They also know that to gain 3rd party support, and more importantly consumer support in this area, they need to start thinking outside of their own enclosed box.

The world has changed as has the consumer. What hasn't it seems are Nintendodrones who seem to be there no matter what.

Pretty much but it seems some can't leave the emotional baggage behind. I am a consumer just like everyone else here.

HylianTom

Banned
It's not really a sign of anything other than Nintendo sticking to their E3 plans.

Agreed. I could see known games being demo'd, and interviews being given.. but not many new game announcements.

To change it to a mini-E3 would fundamentally change it.

Even Nintendo has had to adapt, they finally caved in to the online era! They also know that to gain 3rd party support, and more importantly consumer support in this area, they need to start thinking outside of their own enclosed box.

The world has changed as has the consumer. What hasn't it seems are Nintendodrones who seem to be there no matter what.

This seems unnecessary.

Arguing a point and resorting to ad hominem attacks speaks more of you than it does the people you have to call names.

Define better hardware. Should they pull a Sony and charge $600 and still blow through billions in loses to please a vast minority of tech heads? Seems silly too me. I can fully appreciate the want for better graphics but that is hardly the end all be all for most people. I'm sorry. And it's not like the Wii U is going have ugly games. This generation looked beautiful, so better than that (what the Wii U will be) can not be bad.
as for third party support, this is something they are clearly working on, but it's a slow process and it takes time to nurture those relationships.

There are two ends of the console making spectrum. One end is the Wii philosophy, where R&D is spend more toward interfaces/gameplay, and the other end is the the PS3 philospohy, where R&D is spend toward power/graphics. Both are bad imo.

People don't quite know where within that spectrum Wii U lies. The Wii U pad looks expensive and took a lot of R&D, but how much of that came from sacrificing power? Maybe Nintendo found the right balance this time, or are willing to increase the retail price of the system as well as take a lose on the system when sold.

Sony and MS will have the same challenges next gen, having an othrodox gaming system is just not enough anymore. Which is my Kinect and Move will be standard for next gen.

Some people just feel that Nintendo is sacrificing too much power for new gameplay, I personally feel they have the right balance.

Tell me, when exactly did Nintendo enter the gaming business? Now do you want to back-peddle to your earlier comment about change? If you want to be taken seriously you need to let go of this umbilical cord Nintendo seems to have on you.

I meant they decided not to show their old stuff because it would be confusing/bad press up to E3 where they will show all new Wii U. Showing nothing at PAX is better than showing their old E3 stuff.

If Wii U is anything like the old E3 Wii U, they wouldn't have had a problem showing off the old E3 Wii U at PAX.

onilink88

Am I annoying you?

It's hard to be annoyed by strangers on the internet, quite frankly.

This is a discussion is it not? Or are we all expected to have agreements and not stir up anything?

Out of curiosity, stirring to achieve what exactly?

It's all here-say and Nintendo has been very low-key on offering us anything. So let me turn this back onto you, maybe you should move on if you can't handle people being critical or overly pessimistic.

Unrealistic is more like it. But call it whatever you want.

I've been a fan of Nintendo's for many years

I don't understand why you keep mentioning this.

but that still won't stop me or persuade me from being their little puppy dog who has to accept what they give us.

A corporate apologist I am, then!

Bullshit posts like these are probably preventing people who may not be die hard Nintendo fans, but have enough interest to want to participate in this thread.

Countless times has it been discussed why certain people's unrealistic expectations in relation to what Nintendo's capable of doing simply aren't going to come to fruition. But hey, another thousand times should do the trick! And it brings so much to thread, right? So much more than anything that people who don't have their head in the clouds could ever bring to the table.

Penguin

But will it once again be the inferior version? Or do we discredit all competition because Nintendo only competes with themselves?

Pretty much but it seems some can't leave the emotional baggage behind. I am a consumer just like everyone else here.

Just for the record, you do know the forum allows you to multi-quote now, right?

This seems unnecessary.

Arguing a point and resorting to ad hominem attacks speaks more of you than it does the people you have to call names.

What's left to say to those who will instantly dismiss you if there is even a hint of negative implications? If someone wants to be a smart-ass and act like Nintendo needs to go back to square one because of what i say they are either being completely ignorant or oblivious. Either way my response works.

Do I expect everyone to agree with me? Not at all but at the same token don't treat me like some doofus because I feel Nintendo could do better.

This seems unnecessary.

Can we get back on topic? Anyways, would like to see fzero on Wiiu. Creating your own car, online racing, character creation, mmoish open world like game :)

What's left to say to those who will instantly dismiss you if there is even a hint of negative implications? If someone wants to be a smart-ass and act like Nintendo needs to go back to square one because of what i say they are either being completely ignorant or oblivious. Either way my response works.

Do I expect everyone to agree with me? Not at all but at the same token don't treat me like some doofus because I feel Nintendo could do better.
In what sense are you different if you're going to start flinging around insults, though?

But will it once again be the inferior version? Or do we discredit all competition because Nintendo only competes with themselves?

I really think you should go and buy an Xbox720/PS4 when they come out. If you want state of the art graphics, then those may suite you better.

Most people in here are expecting 2x to 3x PS360 power from the WiiU (visible on screen, not numbers). And those people (wich includes me) belive that this is good enough for them.

You are disappointed in where Nintendo is heading? No problem, you have the right to be disappointed. But lets face it. I'd rather get a console that costs 199-249 with 2x to 3x PS360 power then pay 399, 499 or even 599 for a beast machine.

Nintendo 1st party games alone is already enough to convince me that the WiiU is worth every cent.

And try to imagine what a company, that put out SMG graphics on a overclocked gamecube, is capable of doing with 2x to 3x PS360 power!

IF Nintendo would really go "balls to the walls" price wise and sell it for 199, then PS3 and Xbox 360 will have a VERY difficult last year...

lenovox1

You can't ignore the advancements and achievements the Wii brought to the video game market. They did change, and they did adapt.

But, hell, on the same token, by the end of the generation (now) they have completely alienated that "core" 18-24 yr. old, male demographic. I wouldn't say abandoned, but there's no question that Nintendo can't offer the same experiences Microsoft and Sony have given to that demographic with their current hardware.

And they completely missed the online services boat. The main reason people use the Wii over the Internet is to watch Netflix. But those Internet-connected Wii users aren't playing online multi-player games and they're not buying digital content in the numbers that Internet-connected Xbox 360 or PS3 users have. And digital content is where the money is, not Netflix.

But they're both points Nintendo sort of addressed during their E3 '11 conference. We'll see if anything really does happen or change in the coming months.

It's hard to be annoyed by strangers on the internet, quite frankly.

Out of curiosity, stirring to achieve what exactly?

Unrealistic is more like it. But call it whatever you want.

I don't understand why you keep mentioning this.

A corporate apologist I am, then!

Countless times has it been discussed why certain people's unrealistic expectations in relation to what Nintendo's capable of doing simply aren't going to come to fruition. But hey, another thousand times should do the trick! And it brings so much to thread, right? So much more than anything that people who don't have their head in clouds could ever bring to the table.

It's obvious you strolled into the wrong thread then.

Just for the record, you do know the forum allows you to multi-quote now, right?

Cool, for a second there i thought I was using Nintendo hardware.

Top Bottom