• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

with all the doom and gloom going on for WiiU this week and looking at minimal UE4 720p 30FPS

is like looking at two extremes both seem impossible

X) weaker than 360 = impossible
Y) minimal UE4 = impossible

with all the doom and gloom if the second (Y) is somehow true it would go a long way to fix the damaging rumors from the first (X)

At this point Nintendo does need the UE4 Demo running on WiiU on stage at E3
but if Epic has to be on stage at E3 would Microsoft not be the ones gaining this honor?

Y is far from impossible, since it comes down to feature set, not raw power.

AniHawk

with all the doom and gloom going on for WiiU this week and looking at minimal UE4 720p 30FPS

is like looking at two extremes both seem impossible

X) weaker than 360 = impossible
Y) minimal UE4 = impossible

with all the doom and gloom if the second (Y) is somehow true it would go a long way to fix the damaging rumors from the first (X)

At this point Nintendo does need the UE4 Demo running on WiiU on stage at E3
but if Epic has to be on stage at E3 would Microsoft not be the ones gaining this honor?

maybe there are two consoles

one is the system that nintendo will be releasing this year
the other is the 3ds revision developers have mistakened for the wii u

Absolutely.

What I'd want first and foremost is a good hardcover art book of Nintendo franchises, from beginning of their video gaming era to the present. Something that would make for a very hefty coffee table book, something really substantial.

I'd pay a high price for something like that. But I don't think Nintendo realizes how crazy its fans are, or how willing we are to part with our cash for high-end collectibles. Otherwise, they'd be on that gravy train already. :)

I would almost say they could recoup their entire R&D losses solely off of high priced collectibles such as this. Hell, they would have my pay check, and quite willingly.

It would be cheaper, and likely far more efficient to run UE3 with its existing feature set than running a watered down UE4 based title (it would be a waste of resources, unless of course the Wii U exceeds everyones expectations and can run UE4 respectably). And according to Mark Rein, UE3 will likely still be a popular middleware going into the next generation so I don't really see the problem with this. But again, the main things are cheaper and efficient.

How would using a completely different engine be cheaper than using the same engine but with reduced performance? Especially when the engine is made to be highly scalable?!

AzaK

uh... what? All that junk he's describing about lighting/shadowing is with regards to Flipper; T&L/Fixed Function - stuff we moved away from since DX8. 8 lights was the max at the time.

OK, well I read it from this post: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1634671&postcount=857 and the quote came from http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1634440&postcount=833

Seeing as the topic was about the Wii U GPU it was talking about the fact that maybe Nintendo has implemented some fixed function/optimised features as opposed to everything being done with programmable shaders - that's all. I wasn't assuming that the Wii U did those exact things. I know what Flipper is.

The problem is 3rd parties will eventually leave UE3 behind which means Nintendo back to having to use Wii U only engines for multiplatform games.
IF we're in a situation where UE4 doesn't easily work on Wii U, it would probably cause any third parties with decent Wii U success to have second thoughts about bothering to make the shift anytime soon.

so where are we today doomed? I do hope they give us a little hint before E3

t1338922800z4.png

60 days to go

GCX

If the doomsday talk continues at this rate, I think we'll reach the "RUMOR: WiiU won't have graphics, Nintendo ceases support!" territory by May.

Roo

Is multitask far fetched for this console?
Has it been discussed? It would be amazing if you were playing Smash Bros Wii U but at the same time, downloading Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime HD from the VC and updating your friend list, records, time trials, achievements and all that stuff

isny

napkin dispenser
Is multitask far fetched for this console?
Has it been discussed? It would be amazing if you were playing Smash Bros Wii U but at the same time, downloading Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime HD from the VC and updating your friend list, records, time trials, achievements and all that stuff

We can't even buy GBA games on the 3DS but you expect GC games on the WiiU?

Oddduck

We can't even buy GBA games on the 3DS but you expect GC games on the WiiU?

I'm expecting GBA games on the 3DS soon. I think they don't want GB, GBC, NES, and Game Gear games to get overshadowed too quickly.

As far as GC games, I don't see why not.

1) You'll be able to download full retail Wii U games on the Wii U according to an Iwata investors conference.

2) You can download Xbox 1 games on Xbox 360 so I don't see why GameCube games should be outside of the realm of possibility.

3) We can use external harddrives on the Wii U.

4) No GameCube backwards compatibility.

I think GameCube games as downloads are possible. Or at least sold as HD collections on disk.

AniHawk

1) You'll be able to download full retail Wii U games on the Wii U according to an Iwata investors conference.

i don't know how they're going to do this if they're seriously gonna have 8 gigabytes of built-in flash memory and let that be all.

2) You can download Xbox 1 games on Xbox 360 so I don't see why GameCube games should be outside of the realm of possibility.

gamecube games, especially nintendo's, were pretty small, too. a lot were under a gigabyte. several were just a few hundred megabytes.

isny

napkin dispenser
You won't be able to carry over your Virtual console games from the Wii though will you? Just making people buy the VC games they already have on the WiiU will probably be enough for Nintendo. Why spend time making more rom dumps (of GC games) when they can just sell you the same game for the millionth time?

Oddduck

You won't be able to carry over your Virtual console games from the Wii though will you? Just making people buy the VC games they already have on the WiiU will probably be enough for Nintendo. Why spend time making more rom dumps (of GC games) when they can just sell you the same game for the millionth time?

Nothing has been confirmed about this. You can transfer your DSiware games from your DS to your 3DS. If people can't transfer their downloaded games from Wii to Wii U then a lot of people are going to be pissed.

isny

napkin dispenser
Nothing has been confirmed about this. You can transfer your DSiware games from your DS to your 3DS. If people can't transfer their downloaded games from Wii to Wii U then a lot of people are going to be pissed.

But I think we're used to being pissed at Nintendo by now. 3DS from $250-$100 in less than a year? Terrible VC service? Refusal to release games in NA? Terrible online play?

I love Nintendo and primarily buy their products as I prefer to play games on PC instead of Sony or Microsoft's consoles, but Nintendo has been slacking the past couple of years and needs to get with the times to keep up with the market.

(Hence why I don't expect GC games on the VC anytime soon after the WiiU's release, and don't expect them to allow you to carry over your Wii VC games. I just don't expect much out of Nintendo at all anymore)

But I think we're used to being pissed at Nintendo by now. 3DS from $250-$100 in less than a year? Terrible VC service? Refusal to release games in NA? Terrible online play?

I love Nintendo and primarily buy their products as I prefer to play games on PC instead of Sony or Microsoft's consoles, but Nintendo has been slacking the past couple of years and needs to get with the times to keep up with the market.

(Hence why I don't expect GC games on the VC anytime soon after the WiiU's release, and don't expect them to allow you to carry over your Wii VC games. I just don't expect much out of Nintendo at all anymore)

None of this applies to the 3DS...

Oddduck

None of this applies to the 3DS...

3DS's online is a big improvement in Nintendo's online.

But Nintendo still has some work to do. I think the Wii U's online service will surprise people by how good it will be.

Even on my days when I'm most cynical about Nintendo, I still think Wii U's online service will be leaps and bounds over anything Nintendo has ever done that is online related.

wsippel

Banned
Friend codes. Chatting via slow and clumsy apps. Slow release rate for content. Prices for virtual console. Weird browsing method. No universal play with the Wii.
Nothing weird about the browsing, Nintendo can't release what doesn't exist, and there simply are no multiplayer titles on Wii and 3DS, so the universal play thing makes no sense whatsoever.

zoukka

I rather have a few quality releases than 10000 shit games in short time. SMH.

They could release as many VC games as they wanted and make bundles out of them. No instead we get one NES game a week if we are lucky and oh how obscure and rare those releases are. Fuck man I've never played Legend of Zelda and Super Mario. What a deal for 5 euros a piece.

If you only own the 3DS, that's fine I guess, but when I have multiple consoles and an Ipad, the rate of release means I barely touch the device.

Oddduck

They could release as many VC games as they wanted and make bundles out of them. No instead we get one NES game a week if we are lucky and oh how obscure and rare those releases are. Fuck man I've never played Legend of Zelda and Super Mario. What a deal for 5 euros a piece.

If you only own the 3DS, that's fine I guess, but when I have multiple consoles and an Ipad, the rate of release means I barely touch the device.

I agree that the prices for NES games are fucking laughable.

But I don't agree about the overall game variety on 3DS's eshop being weak.

The variety of games on the eshop are pretty damn good. Mutant Mudds, Pushmo, Samurai Sakurai, Mighty Switch Force, Cave Story, Dillon's Rolling Western, Game Boy/Game Gear games.

I'll take many of these over the stuff you play on your Ipad.

You're assuming that because not all e-shop games appeal to you, that the games on the eshop don't appeal to everyone else. That's plain wrong.

AzaK

I'll give you that. I think Nintendo's choice, rate and price of VC games are all appalling. They have some 30 years to draw from and look at what they give us and expect us to pay.

zoukka

The variety of games on the eshop are pretty damn good. Mutant Mudds, Pushmo, Samurai Sakurai, Mighty Switch Force, Cave Story, Dillon's Rolling Western, Game Boy/Game Gear games.

I'll take many of these over the stuff you play on your Ipad.

You're assuming that because not all e-shop games appeal to you, that the games on the eshop don't appeal to everyone else. That's plain wrong.

A lot of the titles appeal to me and I own them. But my point was that the usability and the amount of content is not sufficient. I realise that PSN, XBLA and the Wii VC had exactly the same problems in the beginning, but Nintendo should've learned from them, not repeat the same pattern.

Oddduck

A lot of the titles appeal to me and I own them. But my point was that the usability and the amount of content is not sufficient. I realise that PSN, XBLA and the Wii VC had exactly the same problems in the beginning, but Nintendo should've learned from them, not repeat the same pattern.

If Nintendo releases their entire library of games all at once, the service loses steam.

And tons of niche games will get overshadowed by the Mario's and Zeldas, and will receive horrible sales because of it.

With the Wii, Nintendo normally released big Virtual console games whenever there were long droughts in quality retail software.

zoukka

If Nintendo releases their entire library of games all at once, the service loses steam.

And tons of niche games will get overshadowed by the Mario's and Zeldas, and will receive horrible sales because of it.

With the Wii, Nintendo normally released big Virtual console games whenever there were long droughts in quality retail software.

There are points between "once a week" and "everything at once".

Sadist

Just read the analyst quotes about Activision/Konami support. Dude is insane. Activision supported the Wii with most of their fall line-up, why wouldn't they port it to Wii U? Konami on the other hand sounds plausible. They'll just port over PES 2013 and be done with it.

Just read the analyst quotes about Activision/Konami support. Dude is insane. Activision supported the Wii with most of their fall line-up, why wouldn't they port it to Wii U? Konami on the other hand sounds plausible. They'll just port over PES 2013 after 6 month of the original release and be done with it.
Fixed

v1oz

Just read the analyst quotes about Activision/Konami support. Dude is insane. Activision supported the Wii with most of their fall line-up, why wouldn't they port it to Wii U? Konami on the other hand sounds plausible. They'll just port over PES 2013 and be done with it.
Have they announced COD yet?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The thing is, the entire way that out-of-order instruction pipelines are designed is that they do the entire out-of-order thing automatically in a way which is logically equivalent to an in-order processor (ie the exact same instructions are run with the exact same outcomes, but the order in which they're computed is sometimes changed to speed things up). This means that an out-of-order processor will never be slower than an otherwise identical in-order processor at running the same code. It might be faster, it might take exactly the same amount of time, but it'll never be slower.

After seeing how some applications, once being optimized for the Wii U CPU, have a dramatical increase of their performances (many hundreds percent more), i tried to search what in the CPU is so different than its current gen counterparts to explain this. Then appear my scenario where maybe, its OoO nature is the problem, as normally, this architecture is supposed to speed the execution of a code by changing the order of the sequence here and there, and perhaps, in the case that interests us, the heavily customized processor involved had a problem (at a certain time in its designing, with certain applications, with a certain software to use it, with certain type of code), and this traditional OoO initiative to modify the order of the sequence is, in this scenario, counterproductive and slow the process. But clearly, IBM & Nintendo must have found such a deficiency if it existed quickly and correct it before implementing such CPU on their dev kit. Anyway, thanks for the precisions :)

Of more relevance is the fact that the instruction set will probably be quite different from those of the Cell and Xenon. Console CPUs generally have highly customised instruction sets, with extra instructions to handle whatever tasks the designers deem important. Hence, code which relies on custom instructions on Xenon may either run poorly or not at all on the Wii U CPU. AltiVec (yep, like VMX) is one such area, as Xenon has a highly customised variant of the VMX AltiVec unit, and it's quite possible that the Wii U CPU is using a customised version of the more modern VSX AltiVec unit. They'll have broadly the same functionality, but different instruction sets and data-formatting rules would mean there would be a bit of a learning curve in terms of getting code intended for the XBox360 to run well on the Wii U.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but to generalize/make this more accessible, AltiVec and VMX are like extended versions of MMX or SSE, an additional "package" of instructions set, of features, on a CPU. But do you really think that there are such differences between the instructions set of the Wii U CPU and the Xenon that it could explain the phenomenal increase of performances of some middleware after being optimized ? What is the probability that the same manufacturer, IBM, changed or added to or modified the VMX128 instruction set of the Xenon, already more adapted to gaming purposes, to an extent that the Wii U CPU see such poor performances for some middleware, and require a lot of optimizations ?

abasm

I don't think Nintendo can pump out Virtual Console titles the way everybody seems to think they can. Virtual Console games seem to strive for accuracy, and must undergo rigorous testing before being released. Nintendo's a big company--big enough to keep a few VC games on the back burner, but not so big that they'd have the majority of the GB/GBC library ready and waiting by this point, especially with the rate at which they've been releasing boxed games.

In fact, I would guess that the Ambassador games are a good look at what a "beta" Virtual Console release looks like. Consider the release time between Super Mario Bros to the ambassadors and it's finalized version to the eShop as an indicator of at least some of the time that might be required to finish up these games.

By trickling out VC releases one by one, Nintendo ensures that each game, however obscure, gets a modicum of attention. They can't afford to release them en masse and allow the bulk of them to be ignored; the cost of labor has to be recouped.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Apparently, LucasArts could develop for Wii U

Don't know if it was said before

It could be related to their licensing of the Unreal Engine 3

Their "open world RPG" project

Or their Action Adventure game, First Person Shooter, or Aerial Combat game projects

Don't forget their job announcement for "a new way of connected online gaming that is going to revolutionize the industry."

So, Battlefront 3 with an extended online service (aka LucasArts battlenet) for Wii U ?

Source: mapyourshow

Edit: it's interesting because Rebellion is also listed (Category: Action & Shooter), and it's rumored they have pursued the development of Battlefront 3 after the difficulties of Free Radical Design and their acquisition by Crytek and Pandemic closing in 2009.

I don't think Nintendo can pump out Virtual Console titles the way everybody seems to think they can. Virtual Console games seem to strive for accuracy, and must undergo rigorous testing before being released. Nintendo's a big company--big enough to keep a few VC games on the back burner, but not so big that they'd have the majority of the GB/GBC library ready and waiting by this point, especially with the rate at which they've been releasing boxed games.

In fact, I would guess that the Ambassador games are a good look at what a "beta" Virtual Console release looks like. Consider the release time between Super Mario Bros to the ambassadors and it's finalized version to the eShop as an indicator of at least some of the time that might be required to finish up these games.

By trickling out VC releases one by one, Nintendo ensures that each game, however obscure, gets a modicum of attention. They can't afford to release them en masse and allow the bulk of them to be ignored; the cost of labor has to be recouped.
Once the emulator is created (a one time cost for all VC games for that game console), the "cost of labor" is ripping the Rom off of a cartridge, digitizing the instruction manual, creating the "banner" art, and uploading it. A few hour's work, most of that editing the manual.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently, LucasArts could develop for Wii U

Source: mapyourshow
Yeah, I just got back from work and saw this. Deep Silver Inc. has also been added (to almost every category). Most interesting regarding LucasArts is that it's listed under "MMO - Nintendo Wii U". Star Wars: The Old Republic, m'kay? I know it's BioWare, but still.

Now I wanna know what we'll see at PAX East. Any news from there yet?

Once the emulator is created (a one time cost for all VC games for that game console), the "cost of labor" is ripping the Rom off of a cartridge, digitizing the instruction manual, and uploading it. A few hour's work, most of that editing the manual.
Except that is not how any of the consoles download BC works. There isn't a catch all emulator because it would be messuy and have many problems.
Every game has to have its own version of the emulator created specifically for it.
It's no where near as simple as people think.
Yes they could stand to release more games At once, but they can't just plop them all down at once. It's simply impossible.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I have no faith in Lucasarts to make any game that I woiluld want to buy.

A real offline KOTOR 3 could be ijzseliejr huge !
A X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter modern revival could be iroizjuireu huge ! (i CRAVE for spatial combat titles, they are lacking since a few years)
A good Battlefront 3 could be cool

A real offline KOTOR 3 could be ijzseliejr huge !
A X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter modern revival could be iroizjuireu huge ! (i CRAVE for spatial combat titles, they are lacking since a few years)
A good Battlefront 3 could be cool
None are actually from LucasArts. I'd be thrilled if BioWare or some other good dev made a good game under the StarWars banner.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;36704356 said:
Yeah, I just got back from work and saw this. Deep Silver Inc. has also been added (to almost every category). Most interesting regarding LucasArts is that it's listed under "MMO - Nintendo Wii U". Star Wars: The Old Republic, m'kay (I know it's BioWare, but still)?

Now I wanna now what we'll see at PAX East. Any news from there yet?

It could be a Old Republic console port with a sort of cross-play between PC and home system (therefore their teasing about "revolutionary online" thingy).

Or it could be the online mode of Battlefront 3, that may be listed as MMO.

Seriously, LucasArts, do a good job ! Regain your noble letters !

Top Bottom