• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

First thread. Lherre told us the dev kits normally have twice the amount of memory as the retail version for debugging. He also said at least 2GB. Nintendo's own target specs said up to 1.5GB so that's how we got 3GB.

I'm convinced we're going to end up with 2GB of DDR3 by the time it launches with the eDRAM on the CPU and GPU taking care of any bottlenecking issues. That would be four chips unless I'm mistaken..? That would give the final dev kits 4GB of DDR3 with 8 chips.

And when it happens you can all say, "Bloody hell, the Snowdog was bang on the money!!!". :OP

I'm convinced we're going to end up with 2GB of DDR3 by the time it launches with the eDRAM on the CPU and GPU taking care of any bottlenecking issues. That would be four chips unless I'm mistaken..? That would give the final dev kits 4GB of DDR3 with 8 chips.

And when it happens you can all say, "Bloody hell, the Snowdog was bang on the money!!!". :OP

LOL. But yeah that would be 4-4Gbit DDR3 chips.

Make a thread about it, no seriously, make a thread about it.

What guek said. That definitely does not need a thread.

USC-fan

Banned

This guy doesnt have a clue what he is talking about. RSX is based on the 7900 gt. No way in this world the wiiu has a 4850, thats a 110w card. The ps3 card at launch[rsx] was 80w card and look how large the ps3 launch system was. Then he puts in the hd4770 which is a 73W card... like this is the worst case...lol. Wow.

Just setting people up for disappointment.

HylianTom

Banned
This thread has been quite lovely today. Good debate, good discussion, good reminiscing, good prognostications.

Threads about the Wii U, I've noticed, tend to encourage trolls into here. And all of that good stuff gets supplanted.

antonz

lol. Why is he comparing pc parts? Does he have any idea that everything will end up being customized?

Because you have to break down as simple as possible for people on these forums. Half of gaf loves to pretend it knows anything about technology while knowing as much as a 2 year old.

PC stats are obviously not very effective since everything that goes into consoles gets crazy customized. But you can at least generally get a baseline performance because 99% of the time improvements are made to make the gpus better not worse.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Threads about the Wii U, I've noticed, tend to encourage trolls into here. And all of that good stuff gets supplanted.

We don't have too many intruders though, except for
EvilDick
of course, and maybe a handful of other drive-bys.

Not that I'm opposed to different opinions, but "Nintendo doesn't do x" can only be so constructive for so long.

---

I also like how we have two shifts in here: tech guys come in for a few hours and discuss, then the dreamers/philosophers among us pick up after that. ;P

We don't have too many intruders though, except for
EvilDick
of course, and maybe a handful of other drive-bys.

Not that I'm opposed to different opinions, but "Nintendo doesn't do x" can only be so constructive for so long.

---

I also like how we have two shifts in here: tech guys come in for a few hours and discuss, then the dreamers/philosophers among us pick up after that. ;P

And then we have me. The one that makes you all crazy.
WHOO! TIME SPLITERS 4! GONNA ROCK!

Good job on the thread BY2K. I'd really rather see it come out of here than more randomly. Also, the more threads, the more time the Wii U spends on the front page.

antonz

Why would you believe anything posted on a gaming message board over an actual gaming industry news source?

Well if we wanna get that Technical there is only 1 game industry news site on the Internet that has consistently been accurate about Nintendo Hardware to the point people were ready to crucify them when they leaked Wii specs.

And its so far claiming specs quite different then the weaker than 360 derp derp sites

Why would you believe anything posted on a gaming message board over an actual gaming industry news source?
lol for the past few months sites have even been citing this very thread as news.

Why is some random developer more credible than developers that post here (like lherre). You're trying too hard to denounce this place.

Well if we wanna get that Technical there is only 1 game industry news site on the Internet that has consistently been accurate about Nintendo Hardware to the point people were ready to crucify them when they leaked Wii specs.

And its so far claiming specs quite different then the weaker than 360 derp derp sites

lol for the past few months sites have even been citing this very thread as news.

Why is some random developer more credible than developers that post here (like lherre). You're trying too hard to denounce this place.
I don't have a horse in this race. I just think that this is all speculation. I hope it ends up being decently powerful, but at the same time the current rumor mill is full of conflicting sources. So I don't think that anything said in should be viewed as fact, or viewed as a better source than any of the random sites that have been reporting nonsense.

Revisiting real quick that Li Mu Bai post that StevieP quoted earlier, he left out one key section that I don't think I saw talked about (I skimmed through most of the posts after that).

Li Mu Bai said:
Nintendo did make certain alterations to their gpu based upon various 3rd party input, a first. Usually, they tend to develop their gpus & platforms with just simply ATI/Nintendo engineering, consultation, & guidance. Designed around their evolving software strengths, & "the natural flow of the industry."-Genyo Takeda Yes, I am referring to all those benchmark tests Nintendo ran on 3rd party engines for optimization on Wii U hardware.

I don't have a horse in this race. I just think that this is all speculation. I hope it ends up being decently powerful, but at the same time the current rumor mill is full of conflicting sources. So I don't think that anything said in should be viewed as fact, or viewed as a better source than any of the random sites that have been reporting nonsense.
well that goes without saying, although I think there are credible people out there, I agree that it's pointless to paint any factual pictures on the overall scope, because really no one knows but nintendo at this point. Well nintendo and other huge developers who won't dare say a word.

I don't really think they are conflicting. They all seem to be pointing toward the same thing IMO.

Revisiting real quick that Li Mu Bai post that StevieP quoted earlier, he left out one key section that I don't think I saw talked about (I skimmed through most of that posts after that).
I didn't see that, sounds great. And who else would they possibly listen to other than Epic and Crytek. So they should be OK engine wise assuming they did enough to appease them.

well that goes without saying, although I think there are credible people out there, I agree that it's pointless to paint any factual pictures on the overall scope, because really no one knows but nintendo at this point. Well nintendo and other huge developers who won't dare say a word.
I don't really think they are conflicting. They all seem to be pointing toward the same thing IMO.
Don't disagree. It just bugs me because I see a lot of posts denouncing all of those articles that have been popping up lately, how it doesn't match up with what has been said in here, etc

Revisiting real quick that Li Mu Bai post that StevieP quoted earlier, he left out one key section that I don't think I saw talked about (I skimmed through most of that posts after that).

At first? Does that mean they decided to scrap it all later? I doubt that.
Interesting...

guek

Banned
Is there anything with it that is glaringly wrong? Or is the only faux-pas the fact he's using PC parts?

Well a couple things - namely the fact that the rv770 is just a very common widespread rumor, not confirmed, and that the cpu is going to be ppc7 based, not an actual ppc7. With that in mind, there'a ton of leeway from one end of the spectrum to the other as to what the parts will end up being. It can't be stressed enough that these are custom parts, not generic PC parts, so more powerful and less powerful chips are both possible.

Linkhero1

At first? Does that mean they decided to scrap it all later? I doubt that.
Interesting...

A first. I read it as at first too.

I remember reading something like this a while back. Can't wait to see all this progression at E3.

nordique

Don't disagree. It just bugs me because I see a lot of posts denouncing all of those articles that have been popping up lately, how it doesn't match up with what has been said in here, etc

There's a reason for the denouncing, as Li Mu Bai's quote via StevieP contains

Nintendo did make certain alterations to their gpu based upon various 3rd party input, a first. Usually, they tend to develop their gpus & platforms with just simply ATI/Nintendo engineering, consultation, & guidance. Designed around their evolving software strengths, & "the natural flow of the industry."-Genyo Takeda Yes, I am referring to all those benchmark tests Nintendo ran on 3rd party engines for optimization on Wii U hardware.

repost since it seems like a significant rumour and was posted at the end of the last page

awwwwwwww shit son it's still alive!

aw man, it still has all those "Worst Nintendo Experiences" stories up, too!

At the local Wal-Mart they had a Nintendo festival thing you would
play clips from games to win prizes but you would play in little
private booths so no one could see you playing. Me and my friends
were all there and the was a huge video screen that displayed all
the high scores. When I got in my booth it was super hot and I was
racking up points on Mario Bros. 3. Later when I was playing Cruisin USA
I got so hot that I threw up all over the Nintendo machine. When I got
out of my booth I had thrown up all over me and I looked up at the score
board and my score was 0!!! Not only that, I looked nasty and every one
was staring at me because my score was 0. I felt humiliated and embarrassed.

Ah, nothing warms my heart more then kids expressing their traumatic experiences with video games. It's relatable!

Top Bottom