• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

ozfunghi

Nintendo wants the hardcore crowd. Which hardcore franchise sells most? COD. COD it is.

Is COD hardcore? Then i'd argue Mario Kart is as well and might even outsell COD :)

PS: does "hardcore" not kind of stand for NOT selling a lot? Hard-core?

BD1

Banned
I would love for the Nintendo conference to be very combative in tone. There has been so much mud slinging, and there will be more, instead of making a joke about it or just mentioning it in one line, I'd love for them to go out of their way to call everyone stupid and show them what's what.

I badly want Reggie to walk out on stage, say "We know you didn't believe us" then boom: GTAV, CoD, RE6, etc etc etc.

Reggie needs his E3 04 swagger back.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I hope they can just forge their way with new IPs, instead of holding up superficial 3rd party ports as trophies.

I guess that's important for some people though.

Door2Dawn

Banned
I hope they can just forge their way with new IPs, instead of holding up superficial 3rd party ports as trophies.

Nintendo should forge their way with new IPs AND hold up superficial 3rd party ports and trophies.

nordique

Nintendo wants the hardcore crowd. Which hardcore franchise sells most? COD. COD it is.

Its gotta be the most user friendly version to get that crowd though.

Its not going to be easy to get gamers to switch to a Wii U version of CoD from Xbox 360 (or PS3)

My biggest concern (if I were Nintendo) would be getting that crowd. Sure the core Nintendo fans and those more serious casual Wii-only gamers will likely upgrade to a Wii U, but what about those who are content with their 360 or PS3? How do you get someone with a large friendlist on their Xbox Live account, who only has to drop $60 for a new CoD versus the Wii U + Wii U version?

The controller could be huge, but it would have to be marketed so. And it can't be some tacked on functions, but would rather need to be some legitimate game evolving function, not just enhancing such as an overhead map.

Expectations are being set so low now that as long as it's as powerful as a SNES and has a side-scrolling COD at E3 it will be considered a success.

This I am interested in. The side-scrolling COD, I mean. Anything that shakes up established formulas.

Also I'm expecting A LOT of moneyhatting.

Didn't they sort of already moneyhat every dev in the universe with those middleware deals?

I wouldn't consider the CoD/FPS crowd as any sort of "hardcore". It's the "trendy and flavor of the moment crowd", and really who the fuck needs them? They spend a lot of cash and we should see those versions hit Wii U, but that's hardly where I'd like to see 90% of the investments and focus go, to those types of gamers. Their basically the iOS people of consoles.

The type of guy who thinks it's better to burn the night away camping and sounding stupid in a mic playing CoD, rather than racking up 50-100 hours in Souls or 200-300 hours in Meat Boy. That's the problem with the marketing and PR departments, they have bad definitions and context.

Agreed. I mean it's nice that we'll have more of a choice in platforms, but that's not what makes Nintendo special.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Agreed. I mean it's nice that we'll have more of a choice in platforms, but that's not what makes Nintendo special.

Yup. I meant that more as a reaction to the CoD thing. Of course I'd like them to bring franchises that missed the Wii, but spotlighting CoD or any 3rd party game for that matter is something Sony would do.

edit: shit, narrowly avoided the double post.

smug

Banned
If you want photo realism and your dudebro shooters.. go join your national armed forces.. you will get PLENTY of chances to BLOWS SHIT UP FOR REALS!!!!!!!

OMG LOOK AT TEH GFX.. THIS SHIZ SO REALZ WE ABOUT TO BLOWZ THIS PLACE UP!

It's hilarious to think or expect Nintendo to do anything to try and join the tech race.. look at BF3/MW3 (especially PC ver).. do you really think it's going to get much better? Majory publishers are NOT looking to spend millions more for you texture whores.. it's pretty much the best you going to get for a while..

Super Call Of Duty: Platform Warfare

Call of Duty Legends or Call of Duty: Mythologies.

Hrm, maybe this is not so great an idea after all.

Edit: I recall a poster some time ago suggested the term "hardlycore" to describe casual gamers who gravitate towards violent, popular titles.

HylianTom

Banned
If you want photo realism and your dudebro shooters.. go join your national armed forces.. you will get PLENTY of chances to BLOWS SHIT UP FOR REALS!!!!!!!

I always would have a hearty laugh when we'd see news reports in the mid-00s about poor military recruiting rates - in this midst of the military shooters trend..

COD isn't really a hardcore game anymore. It's mostly for the 13-21 male crowd. Nintendo certainly couldn't be hurt by winning over that crowd with an exclusive COD reveal, but Activision currently is a bit too commuted to Sony & Microsoft to turn their backs on both of them. Wii U will get the yearly COD game, just like they always have.

But I would not be surprised to see Retro's next big Wii U project to be a reboot of Advance Wars, re-imagined as a tactical shooter (Done in the style of Days of Ruin).

Call of Duty Legends or Call of Duty: Mythologies.

Hrm, maybe this is not so great an idea after all.

Edit: I recall a poster some time ago suggested the term "hardlycore" to describe casual gamers who gravitate towards violent, popular titles.

Call of Duty : Mythologies... Greek & Roman gods rise in the wake of global war, and take opposing sides...

I don't NOT like it...

guek

Banned
They are clearly conflicting statements. They said they were supporting Wii U, and now they say they haven't said anything about supporting Wii U.

Not...really. It was the equivalent of a "no comment." It means they haven't made any announcements about support one way or another, which is true as no activision titles for Wii U have been announced. That doesn't contradict the earlier comments that supporting Wii U is something activision plans to do.

Hiltz

I could care less if Call of Duty ends up on Wii U. Quite frankly, even the Wii received support for all the big Call of Duty titles (except for 2012's I suppose). So I imagine Activison will do the same for Wii U even if its just ported to it from Xbox 3 and PS4.

lol at that, but I was actually referencing a previous attempt to reimagine a different type of game as a side scroller. It did not fare well.

Man, I fucking rented that game as a kid and somehow I beat it.

I don't know how, and quite honestly, I don't know why. It was unbelievably terrible.

Why is cod considered hardcore anyway? What makes call of duty hardcore but keeps Mario galaxy from being hardcore? Is it the violence or gritty theme?

When I think hardcore title I think of something like an srpg or a bullet hell shootemup

Neither are hardcore. Neither are casual.
They just both had a wide appeal.

The problem is that terms like "hardcore" or "casual" really apply to gamers more than they apply to games. Ever watch that video of the Wii Play single remote shooting range world record? That's what the zenith of a hardcore gamer actually is. Somebody who played a game with such enthusiasm and dedication that he transcended rational capability.

Meanwhile, it is entirely possible to play almost any game ever made in a casual fashion. Heck, my style of playing Nethack could almost be considered casual. I play a little bit, ignore it for a few months, play a little more when I have a lot of free time, and so on.

They are clearly conflicting statements. They said they were supporting Wii U, and now they say they haven't said anything about supporting Wii U.

I know it's probably not true, but you would think Activision would just reiterate on earlier statements instead of seemingly forgetting about them.

That's not a conflict. Nintendo is going to support Wii U, but have made no game announcements. You're changing the context of what was said. It's nothing more than seeking drama that doesn't exist IMO.

HylianTom

Banned

Yes, I was a longtime member there. I still miss that board, and still have my old sig.. *sniff*
hyliantom.png

.. why, Nintendo, why?!

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yes, I was a longtime member there. I still miss that board, and still have my old sig.. *sniff*
.. why, Nintendo, why?!

Yeah, it was a shame to see it go. I can't remember it ever being anything but friendly.

Oh, and it changed the course of my life completely.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, it was a shame to see it go. I can't remember it ever being anything but friendly.

Oh, and it changed the course of my life completely.

Hmm.. how so?

Crazy idea: I would love if the Wii U came with its own revived Nsider forums channel.

(Side note: reading through the last page or two, I had to restrain myself from posting over and over again things like, "YES" and "Agree 110%!" The Ninthings around here really "get" each other, it seems. Quite a community.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hmm.. how so?

Crazy idea: I would love if the Wii U came with its own revived Nsider forums channel.

Met my girlfriend of 6 years on there. Am now living across the country after LDRing for 4 of those 6. Say what you want about LDRs, but I couldn't be happier.

/brag

Edit: Yes, that would be awesome, even though I'd still use GAF heavily. Nintendo needs a community hub.

HylianTom

Banned
Met my girlfriend of 6 years on there. Am now living across the country after LDRing for 4 of those 6. Say what you want about LDRs, but I couldn't be happier.

/brag
Wow. Bra-vo. Quite a catch!
(and I had to do the LDR thing for a while earlier on. It can definitely work.)

Azure J

So I'm guessing this is a move to get Nintendo to say something, right? I didn't even know there was another thread up already. :lol

BD1

Banned
I truly believe Nintendo is making its best effort to get third party support on Wii U. Iwata has been openly talking about the need to have a huge "western" hit on their platforms, specifically Call of Duty and full fledged Madden. I also think they he might be hedging his bets that it won't come.

Iwata's comments are often layered, and there is no doubt in my mind, Nintendo wants a huge, "Western" IP that they publish and is exclusive. A game that ignites US sales charts the way many of their Japan-Only games do over there. And the evidence is mounting that Nintendo is bolstering it's western development. Retro is staffing up for a masterpiece. NST is in full on revival mode. Rumors that Silicon Knights is back in the fold. Ken Tanabe was very forthcoming about Nintendo finding western devs and handing them projects.

Nintendo's development footprint is going to be huge.

HylianTom

Banned
That's not crazy, it's amazing.

Thanks. I mean, it'd be an incredible way to build community. It's pretty obvious that many Nintendo fans are kindred folk. Now imagine one easily-accessible place to congregate. Miis as avatars, accomplishments on your profile page, contests, challenges, mass marathons, live airings of "Let's Play" videos that are viewable via your TV or the uPad, etc.

Admittedly, I've never really been enthralled with online gaming. I'm naturally very weary of it, with the sense that many devs focus on multi-player and think that gimping the single-player mode is somehow more acceptable. But if Nintendo were to go down this kind of community path, I'd be all-aboard.

Top Bottom