• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dead Space 2 (or: holy crap at the lighting)

Man I loved Isaac's voice actor. Whoever cast him made a brilliant decision.

Thanks!
I was a huge fan of "voiced" Issac though. As a character he's much easier to empathize with now that he can actually emote beyond the physical movements he was limited to in the first game.

I agree. Gunner Wright is fantastic as Isaac. That was some of the best acting work of last year. A great performance. I look forward to his work on DS3.

BibiMaghoo

I loved the first game so purchased the second.

I made the mistake of starting the game on Zealot mode, and am now very much stuck.

Not sure what chapter but
you are stuck in a lift with creatures breaking through the windows at random sides. They always kill me before I reach the top.

Sadface.jpg

I loved the first game so purchased the second.

I made the mistake of starting the game on Zealot mode, and am now very much stuck.

Not sure what chapter but
you are stuck in a lift with creatures breaking through the windows at random sides. They always kill me before I reach the top.

Sadface.jpg

I used the force gun on them. It had a couple of upgrades in it, but it makes mincemeat of them.

You can't kill it with conventional weapons in either game. In the first game you kill it with a blast from a ship engine. Why would you expect it to die with anything less in the sequel?

Technically you can shoot into a fan at the end of that sequence, but you raise a good point at just how ridiculous trying to kill that thing is. Plus, there isn't much time to find a jet engine anywhere nearby.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
You can't kill it with conventional weapons in either game. In the first game you kill it with a blast from a ship engine. Why would you expect it to die with anything less in the sequel?

I wasn't actually. But I did think it could be killed. It was one of the reasons I decided to run actually - was hoping I'd find something that would help me kill the damn thing.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
I agree. Gunner Wright is fantastic as Isaac. That was some of the best acting work of last year. A great performance. I look forward to his work on DS3.

Gunner is great. He's not just the voice, though. He does the whole performance (we capture voice, body, and face at the same time for scenes). Although he does go back into the studio to do the gameplay voiceover.

We also used him as the likeness, although we tweaked things a little so Isaac wasn't as pretty.

I'm about to start a Zealot run because of this thread. Any suggestions on the proper weapon loadout? Also, do all of your upgrades carry over from ng+ or do you have to start from scratch?

andthebeatgoeson

I agree that the puzzles were maybe too easy in DS2, but what's wrong with the upgrade system? It's exactly the same...

It wasn't the system but how they utilized it. I remember the oxygen being strategically on my mind do to the puzzles outside. Maybe I ignored it in 1 until too late in the game but I thought it was a consideration in DS1 for me on what and when to upgrade. You had more puzzles and enemies outside, to me it seemed. But I haven't counted and am purely going off my memory of how I felt. Just think it was underutilized and probably an area they could have taken more advantage of. I liked it in the first. I also liked the area outside in DS2 with the array.

Hatten

The problem with the plasma cutter is that its just TOO GOOD

Its like the Hiigaran Battlecruiser in Homeworld2: it takes way more resources and time to build units of any kind and it doesnt improves combat that much.

The contact beam for example takes a lot of Nodes to be halfway decent, and even then is not that great, and you're always running out of ammo with the line gun.

Maybe if there were more Nodes around, you barely get enough to upgrade your rig and the plasma cutter

Victrix

*beard*
This game has some of the best animation, lighting, and sound effects of any game out there this generation

Really want to see what Visceral can do on a new original game

Honestly if I have any gripes with DS2, they're almost entirely about the core structure of the game, something that isn't necessarily poorly done, just not to my tastes (too linear)

edit: And if anyone can explain why they wasted development resources on a multiplayer mode, I'm all ears

This game has some of the best animation, lighting, and sound effects of any game out there this generation

Really want to see what Visceral can do on a new original game

Honestly if I have any gripes with DS2, they're almost entirely about the core structure of the game, something that isn't necessarily poorly done, just not to my tastes (too linear)

edit: And if anyone can explain why they wasted development resources on a multiplayer mode, I'm all ears

I'm pretty sure they hired a new and separate team to do that, so no resources wasted. It was pretty good.

Visually and mechanically Dead Space 2 refined everything that was great about the first one, but the level design was uniformly worse (with the exception of the
church level
.) Way too many random enemy gauntlets, and the placement wasn't as well thought out or varied as the first. By the end I more than had my fill of "one more" enemy popping out after already taking down multiple waves. On a related note I felt the the pacing was worse- something that was magnified by the shitty overwrought narrative which made it a chore to replay. At least the original Dead Space knew when to back off and let the gameplay do the talking. Oh, and the bosses, or lack thereof. I'm sick of brainless "epic" QTEs, and it was disappointing that during most of the most visually intense moments you're stuck sort of passively mashing a button. DS2 is still a great standalone game, but the first was just a more cohesive experience imo. I'd love it if Dead Space 3 combined the more suspenseful atmosphere and smart level design of the first with improved combat mechanics and scale of the second, but given the tidbits of information I've heard I'm bracing for another more-is-better sequel.

i agree with this 100%. give me the mechanics of the 2nd game with the level design of the first in ds3 and i'll be very, very happy.

and yes, the lighting is awesome in this game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Dead Space 2 was great and improved on almost everything that a sequel should do, especially Isaac, he went from a character that said nothing to a character that I really cared for in the second game.

And while I am definitely looking forward to a Dead Space 3, I want to know if we are going to get a second novel, I enjoyed the first one as an expansion on the universe of Dead Space so really hope we get some more side stuff from the games.

Tried to kill him three times, until I realized I couldn't (what can I say, I'm a slow learner). Also, I'm not a fan of rushing through levels (I like looking at everything in a room, the ads, the furniture, displays, everything) so the game forcing me to run was just really annoying. I was a huge fan of "voiced" Issac though. As a character he's much easier to empathize with now that he can actually emote beyond the physical movements he was limited to in the first game.

Totally agree, I thought they did a great job going from a game where he didn't say a world to a much more evolved character, probably better developed than a lot of other protagonists that have always talked.

People actually missed the whole "run for your life" aspect of the ending and tried to clear rooms? I thought the presence of the regenerative dude made it quite obvious what you were suppose to do. It was intense as hell.

I didn't think the ending was rushed either. The scene where Isaac made his peace with
Nicole
and sends Ellie off was really well executed and I was ready to fuck shit up after it.

Man I loved Isaac's voice actor. Whoever cast him made a brilliant decision.
The same enemy was in the first game and the way he functions is hammered into the players head. In each scenario he was in in the first game, the goal was to evade and escape him.

While I agree on the ending, the run up to it was iffy in my opinion.

I loved and played the first Dead Space a lot, but that last section, we can talk about how we had to run from an almost
invincible necromorph
all we like but the problem I have is it came out of no where at the end.
The first game set it up as
something you had to run away from with the possibility of killing it at some point, so you ran, you knew you had to because there was really another way at that point, then they stick you in a room where you have to freeze it showing that you can stop it.

In DS2 they shove
it in there out of no where while everything is going to pot, from memory you just walk in and it jumps out and so the run begins
, and I completely see why people wouldn't know they have to
run the hell away
, the game up to that point almost never forces you to rush through an area unless it is an "action" styled sequence that usually ends with some sort of QTE.

It to me honestly felt like it should have been a bigger part of the game than just put in at the end to move you forward, they build up a lot of things in the game and it just felt out of place compared to everything and everyone else.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I absolutely loved DS 2.

I can't wait for Dead Space 3. Rumored Frostbite 2 and snow? Hell yes, bring it the fuck on!

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director

Mostly we were trying to provide more value and a longer relationship with the game to players, and thought there were a couple interesting ideas from the DS world that would translate.

The fact that we were doing MP got us more resources from EA to make the game, so it's not like if we didn't do MP those resources would've gone into SP. We just wouldn't have had them. It was purely an addition.

Top Bottom