• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dead Space 2 (or: holy crap at the lighting)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
RIPPER.

Learn it, live it, love it.

I do kinda feel like I've missed out by only sticking to the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun. I guess I just haven't been compelled to try out any other weapons.

Patryn

I do kinda feel like I've missed out by only sticking to the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun. I guess I just haven't been compelled to try out any other weapons.

If you learn the Ripper, it'll become your go-to weapon. Makes the end sequences of DS2 a breeze. Seriously, I didn't realize people thought they were ridiculously hard, because I just carved up everything.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just started DS2, but decided to finish Extraction first. I like the lore and story, but man I'm not a scary game kind of guy. I hate the feeling of not having more ammo than I need.

So which weapon for DS2? Contact beam, Ripper and Plasma Cutter?

Grisby

Love the series. 2 was the best game yet. Visceral did a great job with introducing Issac as a character.

Extraction is the DS game that is incredibly underrated.

Maffis

I loved Dead Space 2.

It didn't feel as scary as the first one, nor was the story as good, but the visuals, audio , atmosphere and gameplay was top notch. The last parts did get a bit frustrating though.

Maffis

I just started DS2, but decided to finish Extraction first. I like the lore and story, but man I'm not a scary game kind of guy. I hate the feeling of not having more ammo than I need.

So which weapon for DS2? Contact beam, Ripper and Plasma Cutter?

I went with plasma cutter, line gun, contact beam and force gun. If I ever replay the game I would replace force gun with javelin, since the ammo for that weapon comes in plenty and is cheap in the store.

edit: sorry for double post, forgot to edit.

AgentP

Love the series. 2 was the best game yet. Visceral did a great job with introducing Issac as a character.

I'm playing Extraction that came with the PS3 version of DS2. Same name different game?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
2 was pretty ordinary IMO. Predictable scares, awful last few levels, garbage story and few new gameplay ideas. Core action gameplay is still fun and visual/sound design is top notch, but for me it was a disappointing experience. I knew exactly what was oging to happen at all times, it was a painfully straight-forward game.

AgentP

no i think its the same game, just with hd and ps move instead of wii mote

LOL, I read DS as the hand held. Yes, Extraction is underrated, it looks and plays great. Has co-op and a good story.

dralla

Really enjoyed DS2 apart from a few spots.
The whole Ellie, eye stabbing scene was ridiculous and the last encounter was really bad.
I had a lot of fun with all the weapons, it was fun to experiment with them and come up with different strategies on certain enemies. And Issac's voice was great, the guy they cast was perfect

Mr_eX

I played though the first one again for the first time on PC a few weeks ago and it was just as good as I remember it being. I'm going to replay the second one, again for the first time on PC, after I finish Mass Effect 3

When they do the Dead Space 3 trailers, they need to do a Prometheus-styled one. Now that is how you do a trailer. An ode to Prometheus would be awesome.

Minamu

I get mind images of DS2 whenever I hear Bullet With Butterfly Wings. That's good marketing :)

The world is a vampire mmhmmmhmm xD

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Thanks for the nice words on the lighting/visuals. We spend a lot of time and have a much larger and more specialized lighting team than most studios, who sometimes don't even have dedicated lighters.

I'll pass on your feedback.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks for the nice words on the lighting/visuals. We spend a lot of time and have a much larger and more specialized lighting team than most studios, who sometimes don't even have dedicated lighters.

The lighting in DS is some of the best in the biz. Props guys. Dat nursery... :O

Tell the Lighting team that they are the light within my heart.

Kinyou

When they do the Dead Space 3 trailers, they need to do a Prometheus-styled one. Now that is how you do a trailer. An ode to Prometheus would be awesome.
I honestly got even a Dead Space vibe from the Prometheus trailer

I mean that's probably because Dead Space also got inspiration from the Alien movies but seeing it all become a full circle is kind of nice.

Bluefist

Neo Member
I shit my pants at the prospect of dying. Was really nerve racking.

I used to do that, but I think dying a few hundred times in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls has made me get over it. Still manages to make me tense but I'm not finding it scary (I'd actually say that bioshock 1 had more horror in it than Dead Space).

Playing through Dead Space 1 on my PS3 right now. I just love how the everything in the game works together so well and the environment is both well thought out and tells its own story. Plus the guns rock.

Salz01

Where is Codecow and my confirmation of DS3? This is the only EA game I'm looking toward to. DS2 ran great on the PS3. I hope that continues. I'm going to play through this again soon.

MrOogieBoogie

Oh shit, this is awesome. Thread is win now.

Yeah man, lighting continues to blow me away every time I play. Too bad I've been frustrated with one of the "red rooms" in chapter 13 lately. God, what a pain in the ass.

Where is Codecow and my confirmation of DS3? This is the only EA game I'm looking toward to. DS2 ran great on the PS3. I hope that continues. I'm going to play through this again soon.

It'll happen.

2829827734_58a7aafb28_o.jpg

+

Make sure you're ready. Believe.

Minamu

I gotta ask Monkey Pants and/or Codecow, is there a shared sound library at EA? Because the menu sounds in SSX are eerily similar to the ones in DS2 :D

gdt

This is the most active ish DS2 thread, so I just have a quick question. I'm gonna replay it soon, and I want to NG+ it, but I was wondering if I also get the best suit from the beggining. I loved seeing the evolution of the suits, so I want to keep my weapons but start over on the suits....

kyubajin

I really enjoyed Dead Space 2 but not as much as the original game. I resented talkative Isaac and the more action-y approach, still if I woudn't compare it to DS1, it's miles ahead of other would-be horror games like RE5. You just made me wanna go back and plat the game once and for all but the Hardcore difficulty is nightmarish indeed...

Minamu

This is the most active ish DS2 thread, so I just have a quick question. I'm gonna replay it soon, and I want to NG+ it, but I was wondering if I also get the best suit from the beggining. I loved seeing the evolution of the suits, so I want to keep my weapons but start over on the suits....
I'm not sure what happens to suits you've already bought but you're not forced to use any particular suit in NG+. If you want to use the suits "you're supposed to" at certain intervals, you'll have to change this manually of course. I'm fairly certain this change will be free since they're most likely going to be hanging about in your inventory :)
I really enjoyed Dead Space 2 but not as much as the original game. I resented talkative Isaac and the more action-y approach, still if I woudn't compare it to DS1, it's miles ahead of other would-be horror games like RE5. You just made me wanna go back and plat the game once and for all but the Hardcore difficulty is nightmarish indeed...
It really isn't though :) I was too scared to try it for a long time but with some online help it was a breeze and basically the only real way to play the game imho :) The horror is so much more intense in that mode.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Minamu said:
basically the only real way to play the game imho :)
The real way to play the game was not using the #$#$ing waypoint marker. I played through DS1 without realizing it existed - and discovering it in DS2 helped to ruin that game for me.
That said I still feel that linearity in general was more forced and obvious in DS2, and that was the part where original just plain worked better, and why the second game feels forgettable in comparison.
Visually it was quite stunning though (both of them, but DS2 runs WAY better).

Grisby said:
Agreed - even though it's on-rails shooter and it somehow feels less on rails then DS2. And of course - Move controls...

Minamu

The real way to play the game was not using the #$#$ing waypoint marker. I played through DS1 without realizing it existed - and discovering it in DS2 helped to ruin that game for me.
That said I still feel that linearity in general was more forced and obvious in DS2, and that was the part where original just plain worked better, and why the second game feels forgettable in comparison.
Visually it was quite stunning though (both of them, but DS2 runs WAY better).
Yeah perhaps do. Never really thought about the waypoints but it does make it more obvious just how linear the game is. Especially when you realize how unnecessary it is for the most part. I don't think all that much about the linearity either way, but it wasn't exactly what I expected after the first game. I can appreciate the design process of deciding those changes though. That sounds incredibly enticing to be a part of (not that the regular customer would care about that).

MrOogieBoogie

Beat the game last night. Really enjoyed the overall experience. A solid 8.5/10 from me.

I took everyone's advice and just ran by the enemies during the last few chapters. The ending was interesting, if not rushed.

Definitely enjoyed it more than Dead Space.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Rush through the rooms toward the end. You're supposed to and too many people try to clear them instead and get pissed off.

Also, the Isaac/Nicole relationship is underappreciated. /whore (Spoilers BTW)

What's the name of the music in this vid?

I really hope they announce DS3 at E3; nothing that's supposed to come out this year has me as excited as I will be for DS3.

J-Roderton

Damn. I finished the first Dead Space and loved the hell out of it. I kept putting off playing to sequel, but this thread has revived my interest.

2 doesn't have one of those awful asteroid sequences does it?

Damn. I finished the first Dead Space and loved the hell out of it. I kept putting off playing to sequel, but this thread has revived my interest.

Negative.

Also, Seeker Rifle FTW and I really dug whoever did the acting for Isaac. Well done.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

No asteroid sequence! It does have several QTEs that are easy to die in though. Still shouldn't put you off the game since it's a blast (just remember for the endgame:
run, don't fight!
)

MrOogieBoogie

Negative.

Also, Seeker Rifle FTW and I really dug whoever did the acting for Isaac. Well done.

MV5BMTY5NDUyMjkwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY2NDU5Mw@@._V1_SX450_SY450_.jpg

Gunner Wright.

According to his IMDb page, Dead Space 2 appears to be his first and only video game voiceover work. Impressive if that's the case.

Dysun

I loved both games but found DS2 to be an improvement in every area. I'm bored of silent protagonists so changing Isaac didn't bother me at all.

I rather enjoyed the setting being on a space station rather than a space ship and the weapons were varied and enjoyable. I eagerly anticipate the DS3 reveal.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
People actually missed the whole "run for your life" aspect of the ending and tried to clear rooms? I thought the presence of the regenerative dude made it quite obvious what you were suppose to do. It was intense as hell.

I didn't think the ending was rushed either. The scene where Isaac made his peace with
Nicole
and sends Ellie off was really well executed and I was ready to fuck shit up after it.

Man I loved Isaac's voice actor. Whoever cast him made a brilliant decision.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Thanks!

People actually missed the whole "run for your life" aspect of the ending and tried to clear rooms? I thought the presence of the regenerative dude made it quite obvious what you were suppose to do. It was intense as hell.

Tried to kill him three times, until I realized I couldn't (what can I say, I'm a slow learner). Also, I'm not a fan of rushing through levels (I like looking at everything in a room, the ads, the furniture, displays, everything) so the game forcing me to run was just really annoying. I was a huge fan of "voiced" Issac though. As a character he's much easier to empathize with now that he can actually emote beyond the physical movements he was limited to in the first game.

Himself

I find myself in the DS1 is better camp. The second one had some great lighting and the
return to the Ishimura
was incredible. But the scares were cheap and predictable, there were too many enemies that become less fun to fight the bigger their group is (Necro gangbang indeed), and it felt like one big long corridor for the most part. I'd like less epic, less OMG action, and more focus for the third installment.

I'd say it's one of the better IPs created this generation although I can see myself quickly losing interest if they keep trying to pack more and more action into each release. I'll be there for round 3 though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tried to kill him three times, until I realized I couldn't (what can I say, I'm a slow learner). Also, I'm not a fan of rushing through levels (I like looking at everything in a room, the ads, the furniture, displays, everything) so the game forcing me to run was just really annoying. I was a huge fan of "voiced" Issac though. As a character he's much easier to empathize with now that he can actually emote beyond the physical movements he was limited to in the first game.

The same enemy was in the first game and the way he functions is hammered into the players head. In each scenario he was in in the first game, the goal was to evade and escape him.

Top Bottom