• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 slim will no longer connect to PSN - Help???

JB1981

Every device in my home network (imac, iphone, kindle, ps3 80gb, xbox 360) connect to my home network without a problem. My PS3 slim, however, refuses to connect to PSN. When I run the network test I get an IP address and I can connect to the internet but the test fails when attempting to connect to PSN. The system is firing error code 80710092 which is apparently a DNS error.

This just started happening like a few days ago. I have never had this problem before and I am not very savvy when it comes to troubleshooting network errors. I thought about calling PSN tech support but I am not sure that will be of much help. Also, for some reason, I am unable to access my router's settings when I enter its IP address into my browser. I also don't have my home network password-protected at all.

Threads like this are probably kind of annoying but if anyone can help me that would be awesome. THanks!!!!

Luigiv

Reset your modem and/or try again in a few days. Shit happens to me all the freaking time and I can't figure out the actual reason why but it does always end up fixing itself.

If you can login to your router try changing your DNS settings to 208.67.222.222 and

Also go into your PS3's network settings and set the DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

JB1981

I reset the router and modem several times. I removed the battery from the modem to make sure. Ughhh!!!

Live free: can you connect to your router's settings wirelessly or do you have to use the PC that is wired to it?

You should be able to access it from a wireless computer. For all the routers I have owned you just type it's IP address into the address bar of your web browser (it should be 192.168.0.1 by default). You might have to look around in there a bit to find where to change the DNS.

JB1981

You should be able to access it from a wireless computer. For all the routers I have owned you just type it's IP address into the address bar of your web browser (it should be 192.168.0.1 by default). You might have to look around in there a bit to find where to change the DNS.

yes that is the default address of my linksys .. when i attempt to connect it just loads forever. maybe i should get a new modem.

yes that is the default address of my linksys .. when i attempt to connect it just loads forever. maybe i should get a new modem.

Have you tried resetting your router to factory settings? You could see if that does anything before getting a new one. There should be something like a button inside a tiny hole on the back of the router that you need something real skinny to push (like the end of a paper clip). It's worth a shot to see if that fixes anything or allows you to connect to it.

Happened to me a few months ago. Go into the internet setting in your ps3 and change your DNS servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

MrPliskin

Banned
I did this actually and still nothing. I will try to change the DNS settings.

If you did this and still can't log into your router then there is something wrong with your router. Your PS3 could be borked, but the router has problems too.

JB1981

If you did this and still can't log into your router then there is something wrong with your router. Your PS3 could be borked, but the router has problems too.

I don't think so. I think this particular PS3 is the problem. Every other device in the house connects no problem, even my 80gb ps3 downstairs.

All the slims in my house do this as well...its seems like its more of a feature than an error :/ For me, resetting the router usually works. I don't know about the other slims but mine usually fixes itself though.

BibiMaghoo

I've had this twice before and resetting the router did not sort it, but it fixed itself a few hours later each time. I have no idea what causes it, but it will go away. Try disconnecting all devices and leave it an hour or so, and you should be good to go.

I use a bt homehub router (they are crap). If you have the option in your router to use presets for a device, set the device to Ps3. It then knows what the traffic for the device is, and may help. I am a network noob also lol

JB1981

Took battery out of modem and disconnected router for about an hour. Tried to connect to PSN again. Failed.

This is ridiculous. Everything else that I own works fine. Fuck this.

LQX

Can you log into the PSN from your browser? Not sure Sony does sort of thing but maybe they banned or blocked you?

JB1981

Can you log into the PSN from your browser? Not sure Sony does sort of thing but maybe they banned or blocked you?

Don't see why. I can connect with my downstairs 80GB just fine. It's just the slim that refuses to connect to PSN. I run the network settings test and got both an IP address and an internet connection it's just the connecting to PSN stage of the test that times out.

sloppyjoe: do i have to do this on both router and ps3 or just ps3? for some reason I cannot get into my router settings.

Every device in my home network (imac, iphone, kindle, ps3 80gb, xbox 360) connect to my home network without a problem. My PS3 slim, however, refuses to connect to PSN. When I run the network test I get an IP address and I can connect to the internet but the test fails when attempting to connect to PSN. The system is firing error code 80710092 which is apparently a DNS error.

This just started happening like a few days ago. I have never had this problem before and I am not very savvy when it comes to troubleshooting network errors. I thought about calling PSN tech support but I am not sure that will be of much help. Also, for some reason, I am unable to access my router's settings when I enter its IP address into my browser. I also don't have my home network password-protected at all.

Threads like this are probably kind of annoying but if anyone can help me that would be awesome. THanks!!!!

Fix this shit now!
Depending on the state you live in, if you don't have security on your wireless, you can be held liable if someone jacks your wireless and uses it for something illegal.

JB1981

I restored default settings, power cycled all network devices. Run connections test - IP address: Success. Connection to internet: Success. Connect to PSN: FAIL.

I don't know what the issue is. This literally just started yesterday, never once had a problem before and never once made any changes to my home network.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
when i do this it seems to fuck up my whole home network

Hmm...i cant recall if you said youre wired or wireless to PS3, but if youre wireless are you close enough to connect it wired and see if youre able to connect then? At this point, you need to isolate the issue as much as possible.

JB1981

so I connected the ps3 directly to the modem and i got online no problem (had to reset default settings though).

power cycled all network devices, reconnected again via wireless - established IP address/internet connection and cannot connect to PSN got error message 80028E01 this time. I give up.

JB1981

what pisses me off is i pretty much wasted an entire day trying to figure this shit out. never had this problem with the 360. PS3 is a fucking buggy piece of shit.

JB1981

Did you change your DNS servers?

yes i did try changing the dns settings in ps3 and it did not work. i also cannot access my router settings (i think something in the router is broken). i will probably buy a new router (since i can't enable security on this one).

any suggestions for a good router? I need something that will work on a 3-level townhouse. I currently have a linksys wrt54G and when it works, my connection is fantastic. Stream HD video all throughout the house and get a nice good connection online.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
what pisses me off is i pretty much wasted an entire day trying to figure this shit out. never had this problem with the 360. PS3 is a fucking buggy piece of shit.

Cmon now, i know you're frustrated but lets not get stupid. There are plenty of people out there who use their PS3's wirelessly and have no problems at all. The fact that it works wired, and not wirelessly says you have a setting someplace thats preventing it from working.

EDIT-- Based on your reply above when you say "when it works", and that you cant access your router settings or enable security on it....that pretty much confirms even more that your router is jacked.

JB1981

Cmon now, i know you're frustrated but lets not get stupid. There are plenty of people out there who use their PS3's wirelessly and have no problems at all. The fact that it works wired, and not wirelessly says you have a setting someplace thats preventing it from working.

well then this setting must have changed over night because i never had a problem before. never. how did this just happen out of the blue? i fucking hate wireless networks.

JB1981

EDIT-- Based on your reply above when you say "when it works", and that you cant access your router settings or enable security on it....that pretty much confirms even more that your router is jacked.

yes, the router works fine with everything else i own - kindle, iphone, ps3 80gb, x360, imac. And it's working as I type this. Only thing that doesn't work is my slim triple. And I wasted a beautiful Saturday afternoon messing around with this shit. I'm annoyed.

yes that is a problem and i guess now is a good time to change my router. the thing it has been a pretty reliable router for a long time now (as far as getting online goes).

Yeah, get a new router then test out your PS3 and see if that fixes it. when you get a new router add those DNS ip addresses in your router settings and your PS3 network settings.

Something similar happened to me and my ps3 but instead of wireless, it was wired.. i changed my router and all worked perfectly.
Its not the best solution, but hope it helps.

Dragon

Banned
well then this setting must have changed over night because i never had a problem before. never. how did this just happen out of the blue? i fucking hate wireless networks.

Does where you live have a lot of other wireless networks? You can always do a wireless scan and pick a channel that not a lot of other people have chosen. Have you recently added any other wireless devices to the house? I know my condo complex has 35 different wireless networks around and so it makes the wireless notoriously slow. I ended up purchasing one of those Western Digital Powerline adapters to get around this. So if you'd rather wait on the router you can buy one of those for like 80 bucks.

JB1981

An update if anyone cares:

So I got a new router, got it password protected and have all my home devices connected. PS3 80gb, imac, iphone, 2 work laptops, xbox 360 and this slim PS3 still refuses to connect to PSN. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUU

storl026

OH MY GOD I PUT THESE SETTINGS IN MY ROUTER AND PS3 AND I'M IN. FUCK YEA!!!!!

You probably can put them in your old router too. If you have a Linksys WRT54G, type "192.168.1.1" into your internet browser's address bar while connected to wireless, and enter username (//blank//) & password (admin) to access your old router's settings.

EDIT: It looks from the OP that you might've tried entering this already...my guess is either you used the wrong IP address, or ...like you say... the router is borked and a new one was required after all.

Depending on how much you spent on the new router, I'd try to access the old router's settings using the above info, update the old router's DNS settings, try to connect, and if it works ...return your new router.

EDIT 2: I'm in total agreement that wireless connections are a pain in the rear end. There are a LOT of things that can be wrong that keep you from connecting.

Top Bottom