• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some help! Ps5 sluggish, barely working, i cannot save my savegames

Spyxos

Gold Member
It all started about a week ago that my Ps5 could not connect to the wifi no matter what I tried. Then I tried the cable, it seems to come online, but somehow only parts of the Ps5 are on the internet. I can see my friends and I also can partly see the psn store but everything is super slow and I can't load or start any games even those already installed.

When I started the Ps5 today, I got an error message saying that a software error had been detected. I have only reset the console settings so far. Before I format the ps5 I want to save my savegames somehow. But no matter what I try, it doesn't work. Loading savegames onto a usb stick or hard drive does not work, it takes forever and nothing happens. I don't have ps plus at the moment, I can't buy it either. And there's no connection to the servers there.

I would like to format the console and hope that everything works afterwards, but I also don't want to lose all my savegames. I've already lost 40 hours of Baldur's gate 3 savegames this week. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

thx

Edit: I also noticed something strange. When I start the console, I have to enter a code with the gamepad. If I enter the correct one, then an error message appears. But if I enter it almost correctly, the console lets me in.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

If you can't back them up I'm afraid its over.

Maybe try finding a 7 day PS plus trial and see if you can somehow back them up.

This sounds to me like a hardware problem possibly... So pray the restore fixes it. Open it up and give it a good clean before restoring it then try to backup the saves again.

Spyxos

Gold Member
If you can't back them up I'm afraid its over.

Maybe try finding a 7 day PS plus trial and see if you can somehow back them up.

This sounds to me like a hardware problem possibly... So pray the restore fixes it. Open it up and give it a good clean before restoring it then try to backup the saves again.
Psn store doesn't work either, I can get in but I can't load or change anything. Everything just loads forever without anything happening. The Ps5 was completely cleaned about 1-2 months ago.

Last edited:

LoveCake

I only need the savegames. Psn doesn't let me buy ps plus.
It can take a while to move the save game files onto USB.

Do you have PSN+ already? if so your saves should be on the cloud already.

Why do you have to enter a code to access your PS5, if you enter the correct code and it doesn't let you in but a wrong code does, that sounds very weird indeed!

After rebuilding your PS5 database as someone suggested above, maybe try to update your PS5 system software using a PC or Mac - https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5/system-software/

1. Turn off your PS5 console.
  2. Using a PC or Mac, create a folder named "PS5" on a USB drive formatted as FAT32 or exFAT. Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".
  3. Download the PS5 console update file below and save it in the "UPDATE" folder. Save the file as "PS5UPDATE.PUP".
    * There must be approximately 1,1GB of free space.
  4. Plug the USB drive containing the file into your PS5 console.
  5. Start your PS5 console in Safe Mode: press and hold the power button, releasing after the second beep.
  6. Select Update System Software.
  7. Select Update from USB Storage Device > OK.
If your PS5 console does not recognize the file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name using uppercase letters.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It all started about a week ago that my Ps5 could not connect to the wifi no matter what I tried. Then I tried the cable, it seems to come online, but somehow only parts of the Ps5 are on the internet. I can see my friends and I also can partly see the psn store but everything is super slow and I can't load or start any games even those already installed.

When I started the Ps5 today, I got an error message saying that a software error had been detected. I have only reset the console settings so far. Before I format the ps5 I want to save my savegames somehow. But no matter what I try, it doesn't work. Loading savegames onto a usb stick or hard drive does not work, it takes forever and nothing happens. I don't have ps plus at the moment, I can't buy it either. And there's no connection to the servers there.

I would like to format the console and hope that everything works afterwards, but I also don't want to lose all my savegames. I've already lost 40 hours of Baldur's gate 3 savegames this week. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

thx

Edit: I also noticed something strange. When I start the console, I have to enter a code with the gamepad. If I enter the correct one, then an error message appears. But if I enter it almost correctly, the console lets me in.

These synthomps sound like a dying SSD. Do you have any spare SSD around?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
It can take a while to move the save game files onto USB.

Do you have PSN+ already? if so your saves should be on the cloud already.

Why do you have to enter a code to access your PS5, if you enter the correct code and it doesn't let you in but a wrong code does, that sounds very weird indeed!

After rebuilding your PS5 database as someone suggested above, maybe try to update your PS5 system software using a PC or Mac - https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5/system-software/

1. Turn off your PS5 console.
  2. Using a PC or Mac, create a folder named "PS5" on a USB drive formatted as FAT32 or exFAT. Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".
  3. Download the PS5 console update file below and save it in the "UPDATE" folder. Save the file as "PS5UPDATE.PUP".
    * There must be approximately 1,1GB of free space.
  4. Plug the USB drive containing the file into your PS5 console.
  5. Start your PS5 console in Safe Mode: press and hold the power button, releasing after the second beep.
  6. Select Update System Software.
  7. Select Update from USB Storage Device > OK.
If your PS5 console does not recognize the file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name using uppercase letters.
I didn't have ps plus. When I tried to get my Playstation back online. I activated the code out of boredom.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yes, there is one here, I don't know how trustworthy it is. New SSD would not be a problem, they are quite cheape here.

LoveCake

Yes, there is one here, I don't know how trustworthy it is. New SSD would not be a problem, they are quite cheape here.
do you have a SSD in your PS5, one you installed yourself, or do you just have the inbuilt one that's in the PS5 as this is on the motherboard and you won't be able to replace it as a shop,if it's a SSD you installed your save games won't be on that SSD.

Bojji

do you have a SSD in your PS5, one you installed yourself, or do you just have the inbuilt one that's in the PS5 as this is on the motherboard and you won't be able to replace it as a shop,if it's a SSD you installed your save games won't be on that SSD.

Yep. SSD (that is extended memory) dying won't be a problem because saves are on internal (soldered) ssd inside every PS5. BUT if internal SSD is dying then saves might potentially be fucked.

Sony will repair, or replace (with a refurbished) an out-of-warranty PS5 for $230 + tax. This includes them shipping you a postage-paid box for transporting the console back and forth.

I can self-attest my console was only out of my hands for 8 days, including a 3 day weekend and 2 days travel each way, so their turnaround is fast. I also got my own console back (I verified the serial number) so I was fortunate. This is a very viable option if it is not a simple issue you can repair on your own or locally for cheaper

Top Bottom