• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the most common myths associated in PC and PC gaming?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, those threads made me realize that despite numerous stuff that PC enthusiasts keep on saying, somehow they never manage to vanish.

I think the most common thing is the price. Yeah it's expensive than consoles... but not very expensive (usually only 20~50 dollar difference if you know where to buy), and it's pretty much a machine that does higher standards + alot more.

njean777

Its confusing to install games. With steam it is literally one button press. And yeah the price is another myth.

Comfy couch

Orayn

How often it's necessary to upgrade parts is often blown way out of proportion. I built a conservative high-end machine in the summer of 2006 and managed to play new games on medium settings with 30+ FPS all the way into 2011 with only a video card upgrade, when some PC detractors would have you believe that such a thing is completely impossible.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh yeah, comfy couch myth.

Also, game compatibility thing. It's mostly old games somehow being unable to run properly... but then again it's the same reason as to why you can't run a NES game in Wii unless you buy the Virtual Console.

Makoto

"Too many hackers."

While I won't deny the existence of people who downloaded their skills, they are nowhere near as frequent as people claim. I've been accused of hacking more times than I've seen a hacker.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That they can't co-exist with consoles and that every thread needs to devolve into some kind of playoff match.

dionysus

Yaldog
One that is bugging me more and more is the conflation of people obsessed with running games at max settings as your typical PC games consumer. That is just a small subset.

It leads non-pc people to think you need to upgrade your PC ever year. It leads people to think that running games on medium to low settings is somehow second class. It makes people think that only PC games on high settings look better than consoles, when it often is actually that the pc games look better than consoles if you just meet the minimum requirements.

How often it's necessary to upgrade parts is often blown way out of proportion. I built a conservative high-end machine in the summer of 2006 and managed to play new games on medium settings with 30+ FPS all the way into 2011 with only a video card upgrade, when some PC detractors would have you believe that such a thing is completely impossible.

But what if I want to play every single game at the absolute highest settings with AA at 1080p and 60fps minimum with no drops? WHAT THEN?!

njean777

But what if I want to play every single game at the absolute highest settings with AA at 1080p and 60fps minimum with no drops? WHAT THEN?!

Buy the most expensive single graphics card and there you go, will be set for 2 years or so. Consoles cannot do that at all, so whats your point?

$10000 dollar computer
yearly upgrades
comfy couch
all pc gamers are pirates
all pc gamers are hackers
all pc gamers are cheats
angles too angular
consoles are more cinematic
pcs dont have any games I want to play like fighting games or shoot em ups or platform games
consoles do certain genres better like indie games
pcs are full of drm and consoles arent
pc gamers only want dedicated servers so they can cheat
console online is superior experience
modding games is cheating
steam is a monopoly and bad for the industry
second hand sales is my right and pc games cant do it
I use a keyboard and mouse all day at work I can't use it for gaming

all things ive read on GAF about pc gaming

BeesEight

Also, game compatibility thing. It's mostly old games somehow being unable to run properly... but then again it's the same reason as to why you can't run a NES game in Wii unless you buy the Virtual Console.

Yeah, I've heard argued that PC gaming requires you to spend hours troubleshooting and going through websites to download third person programs to get working because there's no centralized unit to design for.

I think part of that is conflating issues with video cards with some games on release that usually have fixes out pretty quickly.

lol I forgot that one.

Bumhead

Banned
Pretty much all of them.

I would say all of them were it not for RAGE and Arkham City proving to me last year that compatibility and inconsistent performance can still be a huge issue.

injurai

Banned

Upgrade accordingly... I built my PC back in 2009 and I have been able to run everything except maybe The Witcher 2 at max. You really don't have to upgrade all that often. And with people going through 3 Xboxes, and getting all their brand new apple stuff each year a gamer wouldn't have that hard of time reallocating is money towards an upgrade every few years.

Need to update drivers all the time.

Not even a big deal to do, Honestly 1 annual upgrade is enough. Upgrade too often and your more bound to find compatibility issues with the newest games. But seriously drives are awesome, they just extend your graphics far beyond what you expect.

MutFox

Banned
PC gaming is getting cheaper by the day.
People will eventually jump on when they see how easy it has become.

Backwards compatibility - I can play games from the 80's! :p

Also online communities on PC are much better than on consoles.
I can play demo's from 10 years ago that have an online community.

Also, I can use a Wii, PS3 or 360 controller...
Or what's this, you like the Gamecube controller?
I can use that too! with new games!

zlatko

Banned
A big thread for comfy couch, I like controller more, and PC's are complicated?

This should end well in the usual vicious cycle of master race vs console peeps I think. :p

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
PC gaming is getting cheaper by the day.
People will eventually jump on when they see how easy it has become.

Backwards compatibility - I can play games from the 80's! :p

Also online communities on PC are much better than on consoles.
I can play demo's from 10 years ago that have an online community.

Also, I can use a Wii, PS3 or 360 controller...
Or what's this, you like the Gamecube controller?
I can use that too! with new games!

I'm confused, is this a troll post? Almost all these things are true.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The initial investment for a PC might be high, but then every game is free.

Oh wait, not a myth. That's actually what people that have assisted me building my gaming PC have said.

These are myths?

Cartman86

Banned
I'll throw this out there because it's what i've come to feel myself, and i'm curious if it's a popular thing (don't know how one could go about proving my personal opinion wrong though). Playing console games is an incredibly limited experience. You play a game and that is it. Even with the 360 getting all these different apps you can't multi-task them. With a PC i'm constantly distracted by my web browser, music, podcasts etc. This becomes such a problem that sometimes i move my consoles out of my bedroom to the living room so I won't be tempted to use the PC while i'm playing.

All that being said I wouldn't have it any other way, and I can't wait for the day when game consoles can multi-task and are always on. I think the good outweighs the bad in this regard.

Zeliard

Oh wait, not a myth. That's actually what people that have assisted me building my gaming PC have said.

Maybe you shouldn't engage in dialogue with fucking idiots.

Card Boy

Banned
$10000 dollar computer
yearly upgrades
comfy couch
all pc gamers are pirates
all pc gamers are hackers
all pc gamers are cheats
angles too angular
pcs dont have any games I want to play like fighting games or shoot em ups or platform games
consoles do certain genres better like indie games
pc gamers only want dedicated servers so they can cheat
console online is superior experience
modding games is cheating
I use a keyboard and mouse all day at work I can't use it for gaming

all things ive read on GAF about pc gaming

Anyone on NeoGAF who has said any of these FUD facts is a straight out retard, you know who you are.

Also I can believe there are cretins out there that need to justify 30fps over 60fps.

sn00zer

Its expensive.
Actually far less expensive...for about $700 you get a high end gaming PC and a monitor...while a console with a decent tv costs well over $1000 also games are dirt cheap

TF2 is pretty fucking good, but chances are you will want to buy something eventually.

These are myths?

- PCs do have shitty DRM, but so do consoles nowadays (to the point you need to download a fucking app and licence migration tool if your 360 breaks)
- Steam is not a monopoly. And even if it was, it would be extremely hard to show it as being bad for the industry when publishers selling on it make so much money.
- PCs haven't had a meaningful second hand market since the 90s, if not earlier. Now project $10 is helping consoles catch up!

benny_a

Maybe you shouldn't engage in dialogue with fucking idiots.
If two out of 25 people (I work in IT) with gaming PCs are buying games and the rest just sharing them via external drives, then I am the odd man out.

Don't even fool yourselves that GAF's stance on this is the majority-opinion.

TF2 is pretty fucking good, but chances are you will want to buy something eventually.
Funny.

I don't think your 3 answers satisfy myself that I can now classify them as myths. Especially the last one where you outright state that what is being said is true.

sn00zer

I have n idea why someone wouldnt get a high end PC... you already need one this day and time and you'll save yourself a console purchase

benny_a

A few myths that I believes based on GAF:

Couch gaming is super easy with a PC, just plug in a hdmi-cable and you're good to go.
Well, not with the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

All games support 360 controllers nowadays.
Not even all console ports do it.

angular graphics has the best username on GAF for a reason.

My (least) favourite is the comfy couch one. With one HDMI cable I can use my TV for gaming whenever I want. Throw in a 360 pad and it's basically a console from the future.

But still, in every discussion about PC gaming, you get people who pull out the "comfy couch" argument and think they're clever. Retards.

If two out of 25 people (I work in IT) with gaming PCs are buying games and the rest just sharing them via external drives, then I am the odd man out.

Don't even fool yourselves that GAF's stance on this is the majority-opinion.

Well if we're playing the anecdotal card, the people I know in real life who PC game have hundreds of titles on Steam, the people who have 360s and Wiis (especially Wiis) pirate everything.

Funny.

I don't think your 3 answers satisfy myself that I can now classify them as myths. Especially the last one where you outright state that what is being said is true.

They are true; the myth is that they are 'associated with PC gaming', because they are nowadays just 'associated with gaming'.

That PC graphics are a generational leap above consoles.

herewego.gif

EDIT:
All games support 360 controllers nowadays.
Not even all console ports do it.

Joy2Key

Top Bottom