• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sven comments on Monster Hunter Tri G (again)

Effect

I think MH4 will be what really shows us if Capcom is serious about trying to make the game a huge success outside of Japan. As said its success in Japan is do to a number of things, things that don't take place or simply can't take place outside of Japan in many places. If MH4 is still rooted in the same designs (nothing wrong with them but they don't appeal to everyone) then I don't think they care about growing it outside of Japan. It's more likely they are trying to go for a Monster Hunter like experience with something like Dragon's Dogma. Which might be better for them in the end. This way they don't screw up what works for them in Japan with MH but give those outside of it something similar but more designed for western audiences. That still leaves western MH fans though out in the cold.

I do wish like others that they would just be clear if Tri G is coming over or not. If it doesn't then fine. Just some type of closure after all this time would be nice. That way people can move on and looking forward to other things.

At this point though I'm not expecting a localization of Tri G. Not wanting to add online (if it requires more work and money they they want to invest) and fear that an expansion might not sell as well as Tri did are valid reasons. Also running with the belief that MH4 will greatly depend if they can get Nintendo to repeat what they did for the MHTri. If Heroes of Ruin turns out well and does well enough for Square Enix to want to continue the series and Phantasy Stary Online 2 gets localized on the Vita then in the end I could care less if Capcom wants to bring the series over in the future.

Boney

Banned
But...they're not happy with PW anymore. That's why we didn't get a localization and part of why talk of a new game in the series has been scarce for a while. I think there are still people within Capcom who care about the series and want to continue it, but it comes at odds with their more recent "go big or go home" attitude when it comes to the games they're making.

that's the jokes i was trying to make :p

Fantastical

Death Prophet
No offense to the G games, but if Monster Hunter is to become "big" in the west, Tri G would not be the game that does it anyway. Frankly I don't know that 4 will be either. I have a hard time believing that any Monster Hunter game would break the million mark on the 3DS in America. Not to knock the 3DS either, I have one and enjoy it, but it doesn't strike me as the place to be for mass market success of a Monster Hunter-"sized" experience.

I'm not expecting Tri G on the 3DS to do amazing numbers in the west, but the idea is to keep trying to build up the audience.

But you're probably right about Monster Hunter 4 not being a huge success on 3DS in the west. It would have to be a console game.

Ultratech

I still think Capcom missed out with Dos in not bringing it to the West. Dos fixed a lot of the problems with the first game and is practically the base of every MH game up to Tri. If they'd had the online set up like they did with the first game, I imagine it would've taken off and been more popular.

But MH1 did so bad, we just ended up getting the PSP games instead.

French website asked Capcom Europe about a new MH on Twitter and got this answer :

http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/207484595384496128

Monster-Hunter.fr ‏@FrMonsterHunter
@CapcomEuro Can you please answer my question about Monster Hunter news at E3, it's been 2 years since MH3...

Capcom Europe
‏@CapcomEuro
@FrMonsterHunter all i can say its wait nad see :)

1338318716-dolanfelyne.jpg
wait nad see

?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The game will be announced for western markets next week, if not i`ll be seriously pissed.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Today 3G will be announced at the 3DS conference :)

Edit: just to be clear: I *hope* that happens, *not* confirming it

Dash Kappei

I will kill several small animals and mail them to your doorstep if that isn't the case.

Just a heads up.

That's not even funny. You'd better be right.

I can spill it out for you, I have no problem in doing so, it's not like I made a thread about it.
I'm not confirming shit and not taking the flak if it doesn't happen; I'm no "insider" myself, I've just got a few friends working for various publishers and one of those friends just happens to work for Capcom's localizations. Did he play me? He really thinks so but in reality he's not privy to this kind of informations? I dunno, we'll see soon enough, it's a matter of hours so it's not like I'm dropping a megaton leak or something.

Fingers crossed I guess :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Urge to kill fuzzy little creatures rising.

8-4 in general is kind of lousy at keeping secrets like this though, so I guess your story may check out. But there is always that chance he's playing you, and thus you unintentionally playing us.

Dash Kappei

Urge to kill fuzzy little creatures rising.

8-4 in general is kind of lousy at keeping secrets like this though, so I guess your story may check out. But there is always that chance he's playing you, and thus you unintentionally playing us.

Yeah, although he'd be a bit if deepshit if he intentionally played me :p

upandaway

I can spill it out for you, I have no problem in doing so, it's not like I made a thread about it.
I'm not confirming shit and not taking the flak if it doesn't happen; I'm no "insider" myself, I've just got a few friends working for various publishers and one of those friends just happens to work for Capcom's localizations. Did he play me? He really thinks so but in reality he's not privy to this kind of informations? I dunno, we'll see soon enough, it's a matter of hours so it's not like I'm dropping a megaton leak or something.

Fingers crossed I guess :)
If my friend played me on that despite working where he's working, he would not be my friend anymore.

That said I think he was just joking. If I were him I'd make sure you didn't let out anything (not even the announcement, much less your source).

If it somehow turns out true, that would seal the deal that Sven really knows nothing and is just talking out of his ass.

test_account

XP-39C²
If MH3G is being announced, why didnt they show it at the press conferance yesterday when they showed 3rd party 3DS games? Could be to save a surprise i guess, but it seems unlikely in my opinion. But we will know the answer soon anyway =)

watershed

Banned
If MH3G is being announced, why didnt they show it at the press conferance yesterday when they showed 3rd party 3DS games? Could be to save a surprise i guess, but it seems unlikely in my opinion. But we will know the answer soon anyway =)

I'm not expecting it to be announced at the 3ds showcase but the shit conference, including the 3ds section, is all on Nintendo not Capcom.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Reggie stated that today's 3DS showcase would be about new, unannounced games. So it could be that MH3G will be coming today. I'm not sure I'd count on it though.

Reggie stated that today's 3DS showcase would be about new, unannounced games. So it could be that MH3G will be coming today. I'm not sure I'd count on it though.

He said new games am afraid, though I expect some new stuff too!

If Monster Hunter is brought out to a wider audience then...change the name. Seriously I've said this before in these sorts of threads - Monster Hunter is a silly childish name that simply doesn't translate well (am sure its fine in Japan - it obviously is :D) but am not so sure elsewhere.

Orayn

He said new games am afraid, though I expect some new stuff too!

If Monster Hunter is brought out to a wider audience then...change the name. Seriously I've said this before in these sorts of threads - Monster Hunter is a silly childish name that simply doesn't translate well (am sure its fine in Japan - it obviously is :D) but am not so sure elsewhere.

I couldn't agree with you less about the name. It's the simplest, most evocative title you could give to something with the series' gameplay. Trying to gussy that up would just sound pretentious...

Chuckpebble

Ah, was looking high and low for a place to commiserate about this game this morning, glad to see this thread resurface. Is there a Capcom conference at some point?

Been waiting so long for 3G that I want them to release it as DD, available tonight, as its announced, Apple style.

6pm PST/ 9PM EST

I don't think he did. However, given the lackluster way they unveiled Platinum Games' new WiiU project, I fully expect them to reveal new games during the 3DS showcase.

It was still on their E3 site, as are a bunch of 3DS games that were only briefly touched on yesterday. Castlevania, Epic Mickey, and Paper Mario footage means this won't be a total dud for me, but my expectations for actual news couldn't be much lower.

Dash Kappei

If my friend played me on that despite working where he's working, he would not be my friend anymore.

That said I think he was just joking. If I were him I'd make sure you didn't let out anything (not even the announcement, much less your source).

If it somehow turns out true, that would seal the deal that Sven really knows nothing and is just talking out of his ass.

Well I don't really think he'd play me honestly, there's more of a chance he'd have wrong info himself. He never said HE or his team were working on the localization, he just fed me the info. He's always given me good stuff, like AAI1 localization info and most of all Tatsu vs Capcom coming to our shores, but who knows really... definitely not going to break up a friendship if 3G doesn't materialize :)

Top Bottom