• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sven comments on Monster Hunter Tri G (again)

Meaning they wouldn't turn a profit and popularise the IP?

The series started on the PS2, a system that would end up having a userbase that exceed any of the current consoles. It sold only okay then.

The series only exploded with the social aspect of local multiplayer when it went to the PSP.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Would you guys buy the game day1 if it was to come out as is, sans online patched it?
I honestly think that's what is stopping them, adding online would be too costly and they don't think releasing TriG without online would net them good sales, maybe even hurt the potential of MH4. Hopefully they'll come to their senses.

Conor 419

Banned
That's not how it works...

Can somebody rationalise why? There seems to be plenty of appeal for a 360 version of Monster Hunter Tri, and I imagine the PS3 version would be relatively successful in Japan.

Why do people assume those two versions will bomb? Tri was a great game and the appeal of the franchise is much larger than it ever was.

Ridley327

Can somebody rationalise why? There seems to be plenty of appeal for a 360 version of Monster Hunter Tri, and I imagine the PS3 version would be relatively successful in Japan.

Why do people assume those two versions will bomb? Tri was a great game and the appeal of the franchise is much larger than it ever was.

To put it as nicely as I can, the handheld games are the reason why you're not going to see a massively overhauled game visually. The series relies on a lot of asset reuse that can be easily downgraded to fit the parameters of the PSP. With how massively successful the series got on that system, it did not make any sense to spend a ton of money on graphics that look as good as the CG intros. The Wii made a lot of sense for Tri not just because of Nintendo's cash, but because they could do better graphics and the necessary gameplay improvements (like the 1:1 pixel hitbox mapping) without going too overboard for the main platform than it could handle.

With MH4 and seemingly the rest of the series finding their new home on the 3DS, they appear to be doing more and more gameplay additions and graphical tricks that in all likelihood just wouldn't have been possible with the PSP's hardware, but it's still in the same kind of scope that they've kept for the series.

Would you guys buy the game day1 if it was to come out as is, sans online patched it?
I honestly think that's what is stopping them, adding online would be too costly and they don't think releasing TriG without online would net them good sales, maybe even hurt the potential of MH4. Hopefully they'll come to their senses.

Yes, I would. At least 2 of my local friends would, too. Even if I could only play without friends I would buy it.

With free online play: day one plus instant 3DS purchase
Without onilne play: will buy when inevitable 3DS revision comes or a good deal comes along

I think you're overestimating the appeal to Western audiences of the series as is. The series has been on the best selling console for two generations straight (one Sony, one Nintendo) and it hasn't exactly lit the Western world on fire. There's nothing about the 360 demographics that lead me to believe it would take the MH series to heights the PS2/Wii demographics didn't.

As for why it isn't multiplatform, that's Capcom's decision not to fracture the userbase or w/e. Plus the costs of HD development as noted previously.

Ridley327

Basically, the ultimate answer to Conor's question is that Capcom has turned Monster Hunter in a portable series, and this is a fact that is made even more apparent now than it ever has been with MH4 being the first numbered title in the series to debut on a portable system. It's not that they don't want to do console installments; it's just that there's getting to be less and less reasons for them to focus on them.

Honestly, I feel really bad for Sven. He's a good guy, but he's constantly being fucked by Capcom Japan. They're holding most of the cards, and everytime something like this, or the megaman shenanigans, or the SFxTekken DLC nonsense breaks out, they mail him over a shit sandwich and then tell him to eat it on camera, and then everybody on Gaf just jumps all over him for not chewing it slowly enough.

MightyKAC

Honestly, I feel really bad for Sven. He's a good guy, but he's constantly being fucked by Capcom Japan. They're holding most of the cards, and everytime something like this, or the megaman shenanigans, or the SFxTekken DLC nonsense breaks out, they mail him over a shit sandwich and then tell him to eat it on camera, and then everybody on Gaf just jumps all over him for not chewing it slowly enough.

Agreed. Not matter what I might think about the guy personally I don't envy Svens position as Capcoms PR hate sponge.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
https://twitter.com/gibbogame/statuses/206299675446349825

Are they high? How many do they expect to sell anyway? Five millions?

Ugh, horribly unrealistic expectations. Just like Namco and the Tales series.
"It MUST sell as much as Japan. No we're not going to advertise it or tell people it exists. It's popular in Japan so people in the States must know about it without us telling them. This paint thinner tastes really good today."

Effect

I assume the bulk of it is Monster Hunter Tri. Unless things are radically different the localization for the most part should be done outside of any new additions made for the 3DS game. The only big issue that could be stopping it is creating online for it or not creating online for it. The multiplayer aspect of the game would be dead without it outside of Japan because of how people play games. However even that is something I question as well. It's already created with Monster Hunter Tri. They can't just alter what is in the Wii game for the 3DS!? Especially when the bulk of the game already is the Wii game itself?

I honestly wish Nintendo was working with Sega in maybe getting Phantasy Star Online 2 or even the older versions on the 3DS. Would just like to play a game like that on the hand held. If that gets localized by Sega and I don't have a PS Vita by then that would tip me over the edge as it's one more game that I'd be willing to buy.

watershed

Banned
Wow so capcom doesn't want to localize tri g because of sales concerns but Sven said the future of MH in the west is bright? So either capcom is gonna wait and make a push with MH4 or there will be another MH for another platform?

What they should do is use a tri g localization to build an audience on the 3ds with nintendo's help then hope for big numbers with MH4.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
https://twitter.com/gibbogame/statuses/206299675446349825

Are they high? How many do they expect to sell anyway? Five millions?
Who is Gibson? I assume he's not with Capcom since he refers to them in the third person? Who from Capcom is he quoting? Certainly not Sven. And how could the Wii game show that, it didn't sell much less in the west than it did in Japan. It just sold less than the series does on portables overall, but sold the best of any version in the West. Surely a localisation isn't that costly to make these numbers so unworthy of working for, they and others make full new games that sell less than that or similarly worldwide.

Ugh. I'm starting to think the only hope MH has in the west is if Nintendo steps in and just does everything themselves like they do with DQ.

Effect

If it's not wanting to lose money on publishing then there is always the eShop they could use. It doesn't have to be a retail product. Just make it clear how large it's going to be so people have enough space.

Alrus

Ugh, horribly unrealistic expectations. Just like Namco and the Tales series.
"It MUST sell as much as Japan. No we're not going to advertise it or tell people it exists. It's popular in Japan so people in the States must know about it without us telling them. This paint thinner tastes really good today."

The ridiculous part is that Tri didn't sell that badly in the west compared to Japan. 800k is nothing to scoff at and proves that there's an audience. There is no way they lost money on localizing Tri...

Orayn

Ugh. I'm starting to think the only hope MH has in the west is if Nintendo steps in and just does everything themselves like they do with DQ.

If one wants to be an optimist, I'd say that's still pretty plausible. They did publish Tri in Australia, and footed part the bill for marketing it in the US and Europe.

Who is Gibson? I assume he's not with Capcom since he refers to them in the third person? Who from Capcom is he quoting? Certainly not Sven. And how could the Wii game show that, it didn't sell much less in the west than it did in Japan. It just sold less than the series does on portables overall, but sold the best of any version in the West.
Gibson's with investment firm Maquarie Capital Services, he attends both Nintendo and Capcom's shareholer meetings and usually tweets iirc.

The comments are odd though since Capcom's previously said Tri hit their western targets and they were happy with it's performance here.

If one wants to be an optimist, I'd say that's still pretty plausible. They did publish Tri in Australia, and footed part the bill for marketing it in the US and Europe.
Hopefully it happens. NOA/NOE did a fantastic job with DQIX, I bet they could also make MH4 a western million seller (Tri came close as is).

watershed

Banned
Maybe Capcom thinks that because tri g is an expansion of the last game its not smart to use it for the first entry on a new platform.

I could see capcom thinking that people who would play this game already bought tri for the wii and maybe don't own a 3ds or wouldn't want to pay full price for an expansion pack on a different platform.

In that sense they could be waiting to make a splash with MH4. But that would suck for everyone who wants to buy and play tri g in the west and I'm sure nintendo could help make the game commercially successful.

Orayn

Maybe Capcom thinks that because tri g is an expansion of the last game its not smart to use it for the first entry on a new platform.

I could see capcom thinking that people who would play this game already bought tri for the wii and maybe don't own a 3ds or wouldn't want to pay full price for an expansion pack on a different platform.

In that sense they could be waiting to make a splash with MH4. But that would suck for everyone who wants to buy and play tri g in the west and I'm sure nintendo could help make the game commercially successful.

I totally understand why they'd want to wait for MH4, but Tri G would be a great opportunity for Capcom and Nintendo to test the waters for future eShop-only releases.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I just remember there were rumors from wsippel about localization being almost finished. It's impossible they canned it, IMHO. At least, I hope so.

Kurod

Banned
I guess today's Capcom will only back projects they feel will sell 10 million copies or they can milk with dlc.

Conor 419

Banned
I totally understand why they'd want to wait for MH4, but Tri G would be a great opportunity for Capcom and Nintendo to test the waters for future eShop-only releases.

Yeah, usually I'd understand. However considering the majority of the game is already translated, it's disappointing that they wouldn't bring it here.

Orayn

Yeah, usually I'd understand. However considering the majority of the game is already translated, it's disappointing that they wouldn't bring it here.

Lack of online play is a major concern too, I think. They could potentially add it and do a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom style updated localization, but that might make the risk/reward ratio a little higher than they're comfortable with.

Effect

Lack of online play is a major concern too, I think. They could potentially add it and do a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom style updated localization, but that might make the risk/reward ratio a little higher than they're comfortable with.

That's the thing. Online was already included in Wii version of Tri. It's not like they have to create it from nothing.

I think it's more the server costs, because the Wii version already has a lot of the online infrastructure ready.

That could it be it too. Though they could test the waters with charging for it instead of allowing it to be free.

Conor 419

Banned

I think it's more the server costs, because the Wii version already has a lot of the online infrastructure ready.

Eusis

That might be it really. They're happy with how Tri did on Wii, but without online play or any means to emulate it officially/practically they KNOW their potential sales are seriously handicapped. I imagine Monster Hunter 4 will be a different story, online play there would mean Americans are more likely to seriously care.

But, argh. We've seen more pointless ports brought over here anyway, it's crazy this isn't, unless he's just wrong and it's saved for E3.

Orayn

That's the thing. Online was already included in Wii version of Tri. It's not like they have to create it from nothing.

Are you sure? The 3DS' online architecture is probably different enough that it would entail a non-trivial amount of work. I can see why they might not want to devote the effort for an updated re-release of an expansion pack that will almost certainly sell worse in the West than its predecessor...

M3d10n

The 3DS game could potentially use the same server infrastructure, or a slightly modified version of it. The servers are pretty much matchmakers and don't run any game code.

I guess the reason it shipped without online was to get it into the shelves by the holidays and because it would sell well in Japan regardless. But since the source game already has online, it shouldn't take much longer to port it too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd really hope they do it different to Wii anyway.

Make the lobbies far more direct. Just start the game, pick online multiplayer and right away find yourself in a regional text chat (able to parental lock this display outside friend chat too) and a list of created city lobbies (that you can filter to only show non-full or non-password protected or lobbies that have any of your friends in them, etc) showing the name chosen and other data, like how many players are in, HR, etc, and with the option to change to any other region for both the chat room and the lobby list (the latter could also be unfiltered worldwide). Basically Diablo II style with extra conveniences like the friend lobby filtering, none of that choosing server, city, gate, and so on before finally getting in game ready to pick a mission, and all the options there as truly optional rather than a process you have to pick every time you start the game. More than 4 players per city would be nice too, so you could in-game chat with more of your friends and swap groups around as needed to help each other best when in the city.

It could also be possible to forgo even that simple process by adding another option next to "online multiplayer" for "friends only online multiplayer" or something and just look for online friends, just in the 3DS friend list, none of the other stuff, then if they're already in game join whoever's lobby you want (seeing the name and other info again), if they're not already in game then be able to invite some and start a new lobby from that screen right away. Basically the same process as above but some of it handled in the background hidden from you with a simpler interface and simpler but adequate functions when you just want to do that.

There should be both in-game (as in, the city and actual hunts) text and voice chat too, and either or both of these functions able to parental lock into friends-only or lobby-only or neither too (also just as a simple tick option in a menu, so you don't have to parental lock every time you want to temporarily disable something for any reason, like being in public). Also, the missions in the hunting board should show the time left or taken on them, so you can know upon joining a lobby how much longer it may take for hunters to return to the city. At least after you know the game and figure how long things may take for people.

M3d10n

Are you sure? The 3DS' online architecture is probably different enough that it would entail a non-trivial amount of work. I can see why they might not want to devote the effort for an updated re-release of an expansion pack that will almost certainly sell worse in the West than its predecessor...

Most of the work would be into re-working the UI, probably. All of Capcom's 3DS games released outside Japan have online modes and I'm certain that whatever code they use for handling the local wireless gameplay is usable online.

Jubern

I know very little about Monster Hunter, Capcom strategy and whatnot, I literally stumbled on this thread.

But serious question here: do you have any base for your claims other than "I'm sure"?
Cause just saying "I know that it'd be super easy to implant online play in this game!" on no other basis than its Wii version doing it and taking some totally unrelated 3DS games as examples is some really bold statement, and terribly unconvincing.

Top Bottom