• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Sianos

i remember there was an old achievement you could get for making someone rage switch to pyro as a spy

this means that there is the framework to set up a strange part for the amount of times you've made terrible players switch to heavy

make it happen, valve

If they are going to nerf the beggars blast radius its accuracy should be improved. It's practically useless now.

mXyupD1.gif

Fuck the Beggars. A weapon that can fire multiple rockets at once and random crit is downright awful. If it gets a no random crits debuff, I'll be over the moon. The Beggars rules in close spaces, is now just okay from medium range instead of being great, and is still awful from long range. IIRC, the Air Strike also got the same explosive range debuff, which is fantastic for any weapon that spams projectiles in a short time.

The Beggars is like the Soldier's Phlog. It requires little "skill" to use, so any competent player can go on killstreaks with it. There's no real learning curve to it, it's just point and shoot, and rank up points.

Sianos

i remember when everyone said the bazooka was garbage and i said "no" and then i got it banned from ugc

good times

very few people knew the timing to fast release single rockets so you essentially had a 20 rocket clip (accouting for the usual aiming time when you use stock, since rarely do you just hold down m1 to max speed fire rockets)

Sianos

nowadays the bazooka is nowhere near is fun thouh, you can't do the hilarious overload jumps and more and more nerfs keep rolling in :<

nerfs for the loose cannon were lame as well - similarly few people understood the mechanics of the weapon and could use it to its full potential

although maybe it would be too strong for 6v6 in the hands of a skilled player? idk, i'm not really on top of the meta, waiting for tf2 mmr so i can claim my rightful place as an 8k feet shooter

nowadays the bazooka is nowhere near is fun thouh, you can't do the hilarious overload jumps and more and more nerfs keep rolling in :<

nerfs for the loose cannon were lame as well - similarly few people understood the mechanics of the weapon and could use it to its full potential

although maybe it would be too strong for 6v6 in the hands of a skilled player? idk, i'm not really on top of the meta, waiting for tf2 mmr so i can claim my rightful place as an 8k feet shooter

Yeah I had enough, uninstalled tf2, cancelled my server sub. I have no interest in the game anymore. Oh well I got over 2500 hours of goldrush/badwater out of it. I wonder if I should sell my gear too... I doubt TF2 is ever going to get revitalized. Just miss the days of fun weapons in games, I was UT99 > Q3 all the way. Maybe my blood pressure will normalize now that I don't play it anymore.

Sianos

Yeah I had enough, uninstalled tf2, cancelled my server sub. I have no interest in the game anymore. Oh well I got over 2500 hours of goldrush/badwater out of it. I wonder if I should sell my gear too... I doubt TF2 is ever going to get revitalized. Just miss the days of fun weapons in games, I was UT99 > Q3 all the way. Maybe my blood pressure will normalize now that I don't play it anymore.
hopefully the long awaited arrival of competitive matchmaking will shift the game balance back away from lowest common denominator

it pleases me that sixes will be a main focus and that valve is working with invite players with regards to weapon balance and bans for once - hopefully a fast paced meta celebrating a high skill cap will be established

Sianos

why do you hate me quote
i enjoy highlander as well, and most of my competitive experience is from highlander

but i think valve making sixes an equal focus in matchmaking is important, because in a way i think it signifies a tacit approval of the "vision" of how the community wanted sixes to be - fast paced, high skill cap, with defensive options that trade off mobility and pushing ability for a stronger hold to break momentum

balancing around these factors should improve highlander as well, and i bet highlander will end up being the more popular game mode as well

on a more general note, i've noticed something interesting playing lately: my mlg mge skills are at an all time low, i haven't played any game at such a similarly high sensitivity in maybe around a year, and these are my first times playing on these new maps - yet i'm still top fragging in pub games due to the Roamer Sense and only picking fights where i have such a great positional advantage that it makes up for my rusty mechanical ability

it's this focus on positioning, map awareness, and decision making that i enjoy about tf2, and it's the ease of movement in and out of combat that keeps it so fresh and fun

that said, thanks to dota melting my ability to feel pride and shame, i think when payload maps are voted in and the game transitions into rail shooter mode i'll just play classic demonstrations man and demonstrate why my gameplay paradigms are better by getting Critical Craigs and hurling stickies at heavy mains

edit: and honestly i don't really mind payload or heavies in comp either: it's just that in pubs with no class limits in conjunction with other defensive options like multiple wrangled sentries it usually means the game transforms into an exercise in banging your head against a wall and trying to trick your pub teammates into being helpful due to the imbalance of skill and effort in pub offense/defense

Russ T

Banned
i have no awareness of anything and i still score at or near the top when i'm just playing the game straight up (okay i probably have pretty good sense for when i'm being flanked, when i bother to try)

notable exception: trying to do a stupid demoknight contract

i mean there's something to be said about playing on rando steam servers like we were earlier, though, those people are not good at the game

one of my favorite tf2 activities is seeing some dude complain about how his team has a lower score than him and then beating his score within a round, even though he'd obviously been around longer than me :3

Sianos

yeah once you have a basic awareness and ability to plan what you intend to do on the fly you're 90% there to tf2 success

problem in pubs is often that it is way easier to play some classes than others, and so the game devolves into throwing bodies into hilarious embankment of 3x health and 2x damage sentries with manual aim and revved up heavies at the choke point - not fun when there is no coordination on the other side

hopefully competitive matchmaking will fix that, though

edit: lol i've been out of the tf2 meta loop for so long that the things i said "oh well very few people even used their true potential" turned out to have been eventually realized

i just look forward to queueing up roaming feet shooting man like the old days

edit 2: machina is the new weapon to hate because people finally realized 173 damage bodyshots are bs, AHA I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG ONCE MORE

yeah once you have a basic awareness and ability to plan what you intend to do on the fly you're 90% there to tf2 success

problem in pubs is often that it is way easier to play some classes than others, and so the game devolves into throwing bodies into hilarious embankment of 3x health and 2x damage sentries with manual aim and revved up heavies at the choke point - not fun when there is no coordination on the other side

hopefully competitive matchmaking will fix that, though

edit: lol i've been out of the tf2 meta loop for so long that the things i said "oh well very few people even used their true potential" turned out to have been eventually realized

i just look forward to queueing up roaming feet shooting man like the old days

edit 2: machina is the new weapon to hate because people finally realized 173 damage bodyshots are bs, AHA I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG ONCE MORE

I have a strange professional killstreak machina I renamed to "Stay Mad"

Sorry, not sorry.

:D

Sianos

I have a strange professional killstreak machina I renamed to "Stay Mad"

Sorry, not sorry.

:D

well the new weapon to hate in comp highlander i mean, in a pub game the hardscope requirement matters much more since you don't have a reliable combo to protect you and since people are generally less aware the big glowing laser shot will make a noticeable difference whereas in comp i don't ever remember having trouble locating snipers after their first shot

but for already scary snipers with a team built around them it becomes frighteningly powerful and the downsides don't matter in that environment

apparently highlander is ruled by snipers now, this is the dark future they deserve for banning the bazooka i guess

Yeef

Anyone have a spare Iron Bomber, Panic Attack and/or Quickiebomb Launcher they're willing to part with? I realized today that I don't have these weapons and that they exist. I probably have the stuff I need to craft them, but I'm too lazy to get my backpack in order.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a spare Iron Bomber, Panic Attack and/or Quickiebomb Launcher they're willing to part with? I realized today that I don't have these weapons and that they exist. I probably have the stuff I need to craft them, but I'm too lazy to get my backpack in order.

Trade offer sent. :3

Bluth54

Phlog nerf in the update today:

Fixed not seeing team names in the scoreboard on dedicated servers using tournament mode
Fixed the Nostromo Napalmer drawing the flamethrower pilot light by mistake
Fixed the Engineer's Wrangler contract updating points while the player is not an Engineer
Updated the campaign stamp images in the scoreboard and win panel
Updated the model/materials for The Federal Casemaker
Updated the model/materials for The Dictator, which can now be equipped by all classes
Updated the localization files
Updated the Phlogistinator - No longer restores player to max health on MMMPH activate - Increased amount of damage required to fill MMMPH meter to 300 from 225
Updated koth_highpass - Removed unnecessary detail props - Revised fade-distances - Turned some brushwork into props - Revised hints and skips - Added nobuild entity on the ramps in front of spawn - Improved cliff displacements - Revised some details and textures

Took them long enough to remove people being able to wear the weapon festivizer gifts. That should have have been a thing to begin with.

Rip phlog. You won't be missed.

Phlog nerf in the update today:

Fixed not seeing team names in the scoreboard on dedicated servers using tournament mode
Fixed the Nostromo Napalmer drawing the flamethrower pilot light by mistake
Fixed the Engineer's Wrangler contract updating points while the player is not an Engineer
Updated the campaign stamp images in the scoreboard and win panel
Updated the model/materials for The Federal Casemaker
Updated the model/materials for The Dictator, which can now be equipped by all classes
Updated the localization files
Updated the Phlogistinator - No longer restores player to max health on MMMPH activate - Increased amount of damage required to fill MMMPH meter to 300 from 225
Updated koth_highpass - Removed unnecessary detail props - Revised fade-distances - Turned some brushwork into props - Revised hints and skips - Added nobuild entity on the ramps in front of spawn - Improved cliff displacements - Revised some details and textures

I can live with the Phlog now. Granted, it is still a bullshit weapon, but at least now you don't have Pyros dropping into the middle of a crowd, activating it, and just wrecking shit. The updated damage too hopefully means less people get to that stage anyway.

So refreshing to see regular flamethrowers used again in pubs. I actually got put out a few times while I was working on my Scout contract!

Sajjaja

I'll take it if you don't want it.
No thanks I've always wanted one lol.
Does Bill know? He could be out there, freezing to death because he doesn't have his hat.
Lol
Did you try to sell one on the market and then change your mind? The game acts as though items are removed from your inventory and then "drop" again when you do that.
Never. I've never even had a bills hat before. It's so weird it dropped lol. I started playing tf2 again just so I can finally enjoy the hat.

...What is going on.

Is this a stealth ARG?

Is the next all-class weapon a Teapot?

Live action TF2 film with Saoirse as Ms. Pauling?

Is the next update going to Ireland focused?

Rivitur

Banned
Hoped on a server today... Something called neojank. It had the same number of people in it that this thread has posts per week.

Bluth54

Valve just put out the matchmaking update:

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added content and features necessary to begin limited public testing of the TF2 Competitive Mode beta
For more information on how you can participate in testing, please visit https://steamcommunity.com/groups/tfcompetitive
Updated several maps to support competitive mode

Community request: Added SetPlayerPointsOnDeath input to tf_player_destruction_logic and a PointsValue key field to the item_teamflag entity when used in Player Destruction mode

Fixed Mann vs. Machine Mann-Up victories sometimes failing to take player tickets and reward loot

Fixed security issues when loading certain custom content (thanks to Nathaniel Theis and Simon Pinfold for these reports)

Added the Civilian Grade Stat Clock
Applies a Strange Stat Clock to a Civilian grade weapon
Can be obtained by trading in a combination of 5 Freelance grade or better items through Mann. Co Trades

Mannpower update

Grappling hook movement speed penalty for powered up flag carriers increased by 10%. Flag carriers with no powerup still have no penalty.

Reflect powerup
Removed 25% resistance attribute
All classes can now have up to 400 health
Fixed a bug where reflection damage was being calculated prior to distance falloff reduction
Reflection damage increased from 50% to 80% of damage received
Fixed a bug where sentry rockets would reflect damage to the owning Engineer rather than the sentry itself

Supernova powerup
Minimum stun duration increased from 1 to 2 seconds
Stun duration increased by 0.5 seconds for each additional victim stunned (max 4 seconds)

Vampire powerup
Melee attack now returns 1.25x damage as health (up from 1.0x)

Regen and King powerup
Increased the frequency of health regeneration. Rate of heal is increased for Scout and Spy
Increased metal regeneration amount

Gift Wrap has returned!
Gift wrapped items will be delivered through Steam trading, and are subject to trade holds if the sender doesn't have a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator
Items can now be unwrapped by their original wrapper
Moving forward, only tradable items can be gift wrapped. Items that are currently gift wrapped can be delivered regardless of the tradability of the contents of the gift.

Giftapults can again deliver items to random players online, but will remain un-craftable

Updated The Bounty Hat, Treasure Hat, and Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect to be tradable

Vote kick events now display that target player's Steam avatar

Updated models/materials for Hot Heels, The Trencher's Topper, The Exorcizor, The Mutton Mann, Doc's Holiday, The Cotton Head

Updated the Crusader's Crossbow
Added a new shoot sound
Added a new impact/heal sound when a teammate is healed

Fixed the Taunt: Kazotsky Kick not hiding the Heavy's weapon

Fixed That '70s Chapeau not being removed when the Sniper taunts

Fixed the Catastrophic Companions hiding the player's hat and headphones

Fixed an LOD issue for The AWPer Hand

Added combat text and hit sounds for damage done to buildings

Added a "Last Hit" sound option to Hit Sounds
Triggered when one of your attacks causes the death of a player or building
Can be toggled in the Adv. Options menu

Updated the materials for the Panic Attack to support mat_picmip

Updated the Taunt: Zoomin' Broom sound effects

PASS Time update
Fixed workshop maps not loading correctly
Fixed being able to get inside jump pads
Removed Sandman long-distance steal
Added experimental cvars for playtesting

Updated cp_vanguard
Removed teleporter exploit on second point
Various minor fixes (lighting, collision, optimization)

Updated pl_borneo
Fixed an exploit related to the final control point and dropped weapons

Updated pl_snowycoast
Adjusted various spawn point facings to make side exits more obvious
Adjusted position of resupply cabinet in RED's 1st spawn
Added ledge to 2nd point flank route window
Adjusted common sentry nests on 2nd
Added stronger light to entrance of lower flank route
Door near RED's first spawn now opens on A capture and closes on final bulkhead opening
RED no longer get forced respawn when 2nd is captured
Added minor spawn for RED once 2nd is captured, active until BLU pushes through kennels
Adjusted timing of flank doors at 2nd and in mines
Updated door texture for flank exit by 2nd point gate
Improved defendability and enlarged 3rd point
Adjusted position of 3rd cap
Adjusted health & ammo at 3rd
Updated door texture for flank exit by mines
Changed a medium ammo pack at last to full ammo pack
Added door to ledge at last to improve RED defendability (closes when bulkhead opens)
Added 3rd exit to BLU's last forward spawn
Improved defendability of ledges at last inside building
Added new dropdown area to RED's last
Adjusted lighting in various areas
Fixed dx settings on light pole props

Looks like they're still working on the internals of matchmaking. Good ol' Valve Time. Hopefully they'll start handing out passes later this week, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Top Bottom