• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Sajjaja

I logged in yesterday because I thought they already started giving out passes. Didn't see mine so I uninstalled.

Guess I'll reinstall once they implement it.

Bluth54

I logged in yesterday because I thought they already started giving out passes. Didn't see mine so I uninstalled.

Guess I'll reinstall once they implement it.

Yeah they haven't actually given out any new passes yet.
If we don't get them tonight I would guess it will be in the next day or two.

Bluth54

Valve updated all the maps that are going to be part of matchmaking with an area where the winning team gets to stand on a podium. You get to doodle on that screen:
372c91816e.jpg

Prepare yourself to see lots of drawings of dicks at the end of comp matchmaking games.

Russ T

Banned
Valve updated all the maps that are going to be part of matchmaking with an area where the winning team gets to stand on a podium. You get to doodle on that screen:

Prepare yourself to see lots of drawings of dicks at the end of comp matchmaking games.

holy shit that's brilliant hahaha

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Stress test for competitive matchmaking is live... anyone wanna queue up in a group? :3

BTW, delete Prec from your Custom folder if you have it installed to avoid crashing.

EDIT: First match, Badlands with almost cookie cutter classes (save a Pyro). Second one... Doublecross??? Lol, so good.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, it's over. :( I got in a good number of matches and the experience was really smooth.

Played Badlands, Granary, 2 Viaducts... and 4 matches of Double Cross. :X Pretty fun overall, really looking forward to future tests and MM opening up for real.

Really like the UI Valve put together for this.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, it was pretty quick/random. But they'll be holding unannounced and announced stress tests in the future, as long as you're in the comp TF2 Steam Group you'll be able to play.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tfcompetitive/discussions/0/405693392905282465/

I just happened to see the TFtv thread right after finishing dinner, heh.
Thanks for the group link. I didn't know there was a competitive group one had to join. If I'm on when a trial run hits, just send an invite and I'll give it a shot.

Bluth54

EDIT: First match, Badlands with almost cookie cutter classes (save a Pyro). Second one... Doublecross??? Lol, so good.

Yeah the maps they have in the comp matchmaking rotation are:
Viaduct, Snakewater, Double Cross, Turbine, Process, Gullywash, Granary, Badlands and Foundry.

I don't know what Valve was thinking when they decided to include CTF in the rotation.

Blizzard

Banned
Viaduct, Snakewater, Double Cross, Turbine, Process, Gullywash, Granary, Badlands and Foundry.

I don't know what Valve was thinking when they decided to include CTF in the rotation.
I actually kind of like Doublecross. At least people actually capture the flag on that map, unlike 2Fort.

Bluth54

I actually kind of like Doublecross. At least people actually capture the flag on that map, unlike 2Fort.

Double Cross is kinda like a good version of 2Fort, though of course it still has the flaw of being CTF in TF2.

One of my matches was in Turbine, with only 6 players per team it wasn't as horrible as it normally is on a pub. One person on my team went engie and defended our intel.

It seems like for the most part during this playtest people in my games stuck to the standard 6s class meta, however I imagine most of the people hardcore enough to be in the comp matchmaking group know what the standard 6s meta is, once it opens up to everyone it will be interesting to see what classes people use.

Alienups

CTF is a pain even for teams in 6v6 that have played together for a long time. It's not that fun either. Cant see it working in MM with randoms.

5CP, KOTH and A/D maps please, we'd actually need good A/D maps though.

CTF is a pain even for teams in 6v6 that have played together for a long time. It's not that fun either. Cant see it working in MM with randoms.

5CP, KOTH and A/D maps please, we'd actually need good A/D maps though.

CTF is such a strange inclusion for a comp beta, even more so for 6s. A game mode that has two or more players playing passively on both teams is completely antithetical to what 6s is supposed to be. CTF isn't so bad in highlander, turbine pro and ctf_viitalism are alright but doublecross as a map choice is odd to say the least.

Blizzard

Banned
CTF is such a strange inclusion for a comp beta, even more so for 6s. A game mode that has two or more players playing passively on both teams is completely antithetical to what 6s is supposed to be. CTF isn't so bad in highlander, turbine pro and ctf_viitalism are alright but doublecross as a map choice is odd to say the least.
Who's to determine what 6s "is supposed to be" though? If the beta opens to the public, I imagine the meta may change over time despite the traditional establishment.

*edit*
I found a video of Yeef: https://www.facebook.com/1512518665719329/videos/1513022382335624/

commissar

6s is now:

Natascha Heavy
Gunslinger Engineer
Reserve Shooter Pyro
Vaccinator Medic
Demoknight
and of course that one Market Gardener Soldier

Played a couple rounds and discovered I was horrible at a game I've spent 650 hours in. Yay.

Got spawn camped by a team running 3 heavies, medic, and a soldier on koth. Also, yay.

Other than that, everything works well. It was fun. Hopefully, I'm not absolute garbage in the next stress test.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, this is way too fun. With the increased number of servers and larger pool of players getting into a match is super quick.

It's definitely a beta though... I played one Foundry where it glitched out and people were stuck in pre-round freeze, so our team conga'd and rocket jumpered to mid lol. Then it unglitched and we got to play normally and somehow won 5v6.

Hooray for the changed rotation - I had a good time on all the maps today. Viaduct is so damn great played 6v6, even with the flaws of the stock version, and I had good games on Process, Gullywash, and Snakewater.

Played a couple rounds and discovered I was horrible at a game I've spent 650 hours in. Yay.

Got spawn camped by a team running 3 heavies, medic, and a soldier on koth. Also, yay.

Other than that, everything works well. It was fun. Hopefully, I'm not absolute garbage in the next stress test.

Yeah, a lot of matches are just rolls since everyone's the same rank right now... Definitely try to queue up with a group if you can.

I played one Foundry where it glitched out and people were stuck in pre-round freeze, so our team conga'd and rocket jumpered to mid lol... then it unglitched and we got to play normally and somehow won 5v6.

I had the same thing happen on granary. Using the sticky jumper to make my way to mid backwards was quite the effort. It fixed itself too halfway there and I played Granary mid with just pipes. Connection issues aside, it wasn't that bad.

A couple of suggestions:
-Do away with the start round shutter. It's hard to set up a sticky jump when all 5 of my teammates are pushed up against me.
-Give some time between rounds to switch classes or loadouts. It just goes right into it.
-CLASS LIMITS! My team ran into a 3 engie defense on foundry last. Whether or not you think that map should be in the beta is debatable but it has so many corners and props at last to hide level 3s behind it's next to impossible to push. You're not going to push out with 3 engies. All it does is stalemate the game for a stupidly long time.

Taunting at the victory screen may be my favorite thing ever. Everyone will hear the beautiful sounds of my bagpipes. EVERYONE.

Sianos

thank you valve for tying competitive matchmaking to the phone authenticator that i haven't set up yet

and of course you put it on a week long waiting period too

facepalm.gif

Blizzard

Banned
thank you valve for tying competitive matchmaking to the phone authenticator that i haven't set up yet

and of course you put it on a week long waiting period too

facepalm.gif
Wait, what's this? I don't have a smartphone because I'm like 80 years old. Does that mean I can't play the beta?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, I missed today's test... Dammit, work. >.<

And yeah, you have priority for stress tests/a pass if you meet the following requirements:

Have either purchased a copy of Team Fortress 2 prior to June 23, 2011, or have made a purchase from the Mann Co. Store. (AKA premium accounts)
Have Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator enabled. ( https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8625-WRAH-9030 )
Have a phone number associated with your Steam account ( https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8625-WRAH-9030#addphone )

Weird that it takes so long for the authenticator to kick in for Quote... I told my friend that I saw the "Play Competitive" button go live and initially he wasn't flagged to play. But he did the whole setup (adding a phone #, downloading the app, etc.) there and we were literally queued up 5 minutes later. O.O

I had the same thing happen on granary. Using the sticky jumper to make my way to mid backwards was quite the effort. It fixed itself too halfway there and I played Granary mid with just pipes. Connection issues aside, it wasn't that bad.

A couple of suggestions:
-Do away with the start round shutter. It's hard to set up a sticky jump when all 5 of my teammates are pushed up against me.
-Give some time between rounds to switch classes or loadouts. It just goes right into it.
-CLASS LIMITS! My team ran into a 3 engie defense on foundry last. Whether or not you think that map should be in the beta is debatable but it has so many corners and props at last to hide level 3s behind it's next to impossible to push. You're not going to push out with 3 engies. All it does is stalemate the game for a stupidly long time.

Yeah, seems the freeze glitch is a reoccuring thing if someone leaves as the match is about to start... But don't you like playing against 5 scouts and a QF Med? :p

Seriously though, agree with all your suggestions. Seems like the Valve employees involved with TF2 MM are being very attentive to the feedback and really quickly addressing things, which is great (and rather a change of pace, heh).

EDIT: Geel9 (Scrap.tf dude) put a group together that'll automatically send announcements when stress tests go live:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tfcompstresstests

Oreoleo

Aw, I missed today's test... Dammit, work. >.<

Don't worry, basically everyone missed it. Europe finally got a crack at the stress test at a decent time and brought the whole system to it's knees in the process. Had like 30 minutes of up time spread across two hours of stress testing. I was able to play all of two games, one of which was 5v6 and was effectively over before it began.

Sianos

oh hey, a stress test is online and it's letting me search properly, cool

but i already started cooking spaghetti, so i hope volvo keeps this one up for a while

Bluth54

The first game I played in the stress test yesterday was against b4nny and other comp tf2 players. Needless to say my team got wiped but it was fun getting a chance to play against the best known TF2 comp player.

Sianos

tf2 matchmaking is certified fun, judging by the fact that it is now 4 pm in quoteland and it was not close to 4 pm when i started playing

after nine years in development on a game that was nine years in development i guess it was worth the wait

Randdalf

tf2 matchmaking is certified fun, judging by the fact that it is now 4 pm in quoteland and it was not close to 4 pm when i started playing

after nine years in development on a game that was nine years in development i guess it was worth the wait

It is sooooo frustrating being lumped with a bunch of people playing stupid classes. I just played a match where I had 2 Snipers on my team the entire first round, why is that even a thing. I only hope this gets better as you calibrate higher, otherwise
rage.gif

I really think it's a mistake for them to have the freeze time at the start be covered up by the intro animation: Medics overhealing Soldiers and Demos for the rollout is a key part of early round strategy, and this system doesn't allow for it. Obviously you could argue that it's not better or worse, it's just different; but I still think it makes it less interesting.

Oreoleo

Does it include all weapons and junk. Are there class limits.

Give me the details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For better or worse, everything is fair game. All weapons, no class limits.

In general, I prefer it that way, letting everyone play what they want. But sometimes that leads to stupid things like having a sniper spy and engie on your team with only 1 soldier/demo/pyro/heavy.

I assume that will get better once rankings are actually implemented though and you're not stuck with people who find public Valve servers a real test of their skills.

Blizzard

Banned

In general, I prefer it that way, letting everyone play what they want. But sometimes that leads to stupid things like having a sniper spy and engie on your team with only 1 soldier/demo/pyro/heavy.

I assume that will get better once rankings are actually implemented though and you're not stuck with people who find public Valve servers a real test of their skills.
Alternatively, it will go the MOBA route, and people will blame their ranking on their teammates, and talk about being stuck in "bronze hell" or whatever. :p

Russ T

Banned

Yeah that's kinda what I was hoping for, personally. I'm interested in trying it once I finish obsessively playing Various Console Video Games. Hopefully it's fully implemented by then. It'd be a nice alternative to Dota 2, since I never really did like CS:GO, but I for damn sure love TF2.

Wonder if they'll ever add a banning phase for specific weapons, or voting on class limits or something.

How do you guys feel about the punishment system?

I've had a couple of games so far, where people just leave after the first round ends and then suddenly everyone flees the server. While I think it's good that Valve made it so it doesn't affect your rank, I'd like if they threw in a little something for people on the same team who stayed on after a person left, like an apology medal or something. "Sorry this guy was a dickwad and ruined your game, here's a small medal to make up for your shitty experience" sort of thing.

Sianos

matchmaking continues to be fun and fast-paced

it's a shame about the rage-quitters stealing the points, but you get to steal their dignity so i guess its almost even

it would indeed be better if the freeze time could be used to buff people and so i could make sure to aim my whip as far away from zeke as possible - hopefully valve is open to these suggestions

Top Bottom