• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

L9jAI.png

Well here it is - OT10! Big thanks to elseanio and Fady for creating the previous threads :)

For all your Soccer related talk, there is a separate thread for the MLS here.

i58kbwnqK7CN4.gif

Thanks to CaramaC for the awesome banner, SunhiLegend for GIFS and to elseanio and Fady for the previous threads :)

GAF Transfer News Centre (These images will update with the latest news from Twitter each time you visit this post or refresh the page)

bbcfootball1-fs.png
skysports-fs.png
guardian_sport-fs.png

guillembalague-fs.png
tonybarrettimes-fs.png
philmcnulty-fs.png

The Leagues (click a team to visit their website)

UdCoe.jpg

b3c9Q.jpg

WntAL.jpg

ZgtUO.jpg

ywjDv.jpg

CFT4I.jpg

MiCTU.jpg

pfu9D.jpg

sWQdB.jpg

wgtEA.jpg

aY2vb.png

4w9QK.jpg

PIbvg.png
Eredivisie - Table | Last season's top 4: Ajax, FC Twente, PSV Eindhoven, AZ Alkmaar
U5fx3.png
Ligue 1 - Table | Last season's top 4: Lille, Marseille, Lyon, PSG
u5HA1.png
Liga ZON Sagres - Table | Last season's top 4: FC Porto, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Sporting Braga
fXmQ4.png
MLS - Table | Last season's top 4: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Red Bull New York, FC Dallas
03cby.png
Clydesdale Bank Premier League - Table | Last season's top 4: Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United

GAFfers' Clubs - which team is the best supported on GAF? Link to a single post that I can hopefully update as well
AC Milan - dschalter, TheLucifer, Fady K
Ajax - Arjen, FeD.nL, Wessiej, Fady K
Arsenal - Anderson, Baconsaurus, Boozeroony, colonisation, DangerousMali, DOBERMAN INC, Dibbz, Freewheelin', Ghouse, Ingeniero, Jason Raize '75 - '04, Judderman, Kweh, Lightning, omgkitty, pix, Plasma, Salvadora, Fady K
Aston Villa - Awesome Animals, rodvik, Wes, Fady K
Athletic Bilbao - sneaky77, Fady K
Barcelona - FootballFan, Messi, OriginalThinking, Verano, Fady K
Bayern Munich- Antioch, Blablurn, elsk, Fry8, Hasphat'sAnts, Hieberrr, Nemic77, spidye, Fady K
Benfica - Andrefpvs, DyonPT, rvy, ThaneKrios, Fady K
Besiktas - besiktas1, Silphatos, Fady K
Blackburn - Jeff Albertson, Fady K
Borussia Dortmund - Phantast2k, Fady K
Celtic - Sage00, Fady K
Chelsea - Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Fady K
Club Deportivo Guadalajara - Regulus Tera, Fady K
Copenhagen - Woodenlung, Fady K
Corinthians - seabee, Fady K
Eintracht Frankfurt - thy_, Fady K
Everton - faridmon, sazabirules, Temrer, Fady K
Fenerbahce - UV-6, Fady K
Fulham - xbhaskarx, Fady K
Hamburger SV - The_Joker, Fady K
Huddersfield Town - Cindres, Fady K
Juventus - .Shodan, Charles, fadetoblack, Rikkun, Shake Appeal, Smeghead, Yurt, Zabojnik, Fady K
Leeds United - amitaiwinehouse, Fady K
Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Fry8, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Mastadon, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, PJX, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, Vard, Yenrot, Fady K
Malaga - tolkir, Fady K
Man City - BattleMedic, confuziz, dc89, Manager, Meier, Fady K
Man Utd - Ashes1396, BLSwagger10, blurrygil, Brinbe, Cyport, Desmond, doicare, DominoKid, Dynoro, elfinke, Fëanor, Grover Cleveland, Jburton, K1LLER7, kharma45, KidA Seven, LabouredSubterfuge, magnificent83, pappe, pslayer666, Requiem, Salazar, Slizz, Snaku, Stubo, The Friendly Monster, Tim the Wiz, Tunic, Vivalaraza, Wilbury, WJD, yella, Fady K (Fady can't hate)
Newcastle - Carbonox_Ratchet, choodi, Chriswok, JesusTom, Keio, Kyoufu, offshore, Willkiller, Fady K
New York Red Bulls - Judderman, Fady K
Olympiakos - gate777, Fady K
Palermo - Joe, Fady K
Porto - El Tigre, Letters, RaGe_pt, tonitoni, Fady K
QPR - Polari, Fady K
Reading - immy, Fady K
Real Madrid - Anastacio, Madridy, MPW, Noirulus, PantyPhantom, Spanish Wrath, Fady K
Schalke 04 - Sveitadurgur, Fady K
Sheffield Wednesday - Mat C, Fady K
Southampton - IamMikeside, Fady K
Sporting CP - BLSwagger10, LFMartins86, Fady K
Sunderland - HixxSAFC, madmackem, The Super Bob, Fady K
Tottenham - Bungieware, Clydefrog, near, NeoTB1, Scum, Ushojax, zomgbbqftw, Fady K

Let me know your team and I'll add you to the list (PM works better than posting in the thread).

Videos
This Is Football
Goals of 2010/2011
A Life for a Goal - The Ultimate Ronaldo movie - Fantastic 41-part, 6 hour film about Il Fenomeno

General Information / FAQs
Football - Wikipedia
Statto - League tables as they were at a chosen time of the season, plus form tables, goals etc
Who Scored? - Live match statistics plus stats archive
101 Great Goals - Quick video updates for goals scored across the world.

Q. I'm looking to get more into watching football. Which team should I support?
A. The simple answer is, support whoever you want. But crucially, pick a team and stick with them, through the good times and the bad. If you change allegiances as soon as your chosen team has a bit of a hard time, you won't experience what it's truly like to be a fan. Besides, it just makes the good times all the better.[/QUOTE]

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Where's our new kits, Nike :/

Mastadon said:
So De Boer has also turned down Liverpool. This could get embarrassing.

Liverpool approached Marotta's right hand as well. I'd say they know what they're doing then. He's brilliant and his work is often overlooked.

MPW

why are people turning down the opportunity to manage liverpool? what is pool's transfer budget for the summer?

Keio

For a Finer World
Looking forward to the Copa del Rey final. A 3rd trophy for Barcelona would make this season "ok" for the team and a good finish for Pep. Nerves? Sure. And Bilbao will really want to win this after getting beat in the Europa League final.

Can't wait to see our transfers :D
Only Montolivo and Traorè will be our new players. :(

Yesterday evening was kinda sad seeing Del Piero leaving like that. Conte got the formation wrong, though, probably the Capitano should've come in during the second half while Borriello should've stayed at home. And Hamsik cut his hair, now he's 83% more ugly.

Also, totally unrelated to football, earthquakes are becoming waaay too frequent around here. Tonight in particular was awful.

Oh wow, just realized there's a Euro 2012 thread in OT. So, we can't talk Euro here? I don't want to go to another thread for Euro talk, i'm way too lazy for that shit :(

Also, is there a Euro fantasy going on?

Wessiej

Oh wow, just realized there's a Euro 2012 thread in OT. So, we can't talk Euro here? I don't want to go to another thread for Euro talk, i'm way too lazy for that shit :(

Also, is there a Euro fantasy going on?

The EURO/World Cup threads are AMAZING when the tournament is actually going. Too bad I'm on vacation for the first couple of euro days.

PaulLFC

Score! is indeed amazing. I'm only getting 2 stars on the levels at the moment though, even when I seemingly score the exact goal with my first attempt. Is there a trick to getting 3 stars?

The EURO/World Cup threads are AMAZING when the tournament is actually going. Too bad I'm on vacation for the first couple of euro days.

I suppose they are. Never really ventured into OT until recently and only discovered the football thread a few months ago.

New things scare me. :p I only looked for it because I was curious on whether we'll be getting flags with our user-names this time around.

I'll be supporting Greece and Holland this time, since my wife is Dutch. I hope you guys win it tbh, you deserve a trophy more than most.

Wessiej

I suppose they are. Never really ventured into OT until recently and only discovered the football thread a few months ago.

New things scare me. :p I only looked for it because I was curious on whether we'll be getting flags with our user-names this time around.

I'll be supporting Greece and Holland this time, since my wife is Dutch. I hope you guys win it tbh, you deserve a trophy more than most.

Well, no flags, but I made a avatar for you

xpwDw.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Can't wait to see our transfers :D
Only Montolivo and Traorè will be our new players. :(

Yesterday evening was kinda sad seeing Del Piero leaving like that. Conte got the formation wrong, though, probably the Capitano should've come in during the second half while Borriello should've stayed at home. And Hamsik cut his hair, now he's 83% more ugly.

Also, totally unrelated to football, earthquakes are becoming waaay too frequent around here. Tonight in particular was awful.

The formation and our attitude was wrong. For the first time this season we looked.. lethargic :/

He got his proper last game in our stadium between his fans! And I expect to see him again in a testimonial match later ;)

Now Cavani won't use the classic "I want to win a tite with [insert a team you're eventually going to leave] first!"

Hixx

If we could sell McCartney and Elmohamady to West Ham this summer I will be over the moon.

£6m quid for McCartney, cheers Roy. I'm laughing to hold back the tears.

Well, no flags, but I made a avatar for you

xpwDw.jpg

:lol

That's pretty awesome man!!! Thanks!!! :p

I dunno if this is too much to ask for, but can we swap Charisteas with Karagounis and RVP with Huntelaar? Am I being too cheeky?

Charisteas is not in the squad and I don't like RVP, I think he's a douche :p

Stubo

Really need the Euros to take my mind off the muppetry.

This post is void if Kagawa becomes confirmed before the games start.

Wessiej

:lol

That's pretty awesome man!!! Thanks!!! :p

I dunno if this is too much to ask for, but can we swap Charisteas with Karagounis and RVP with Huntelaar? Am I being too cheeky?

Charisteas is not in the squad and I don't like RVP, I think he's a douche :p

3hyd5.jpg

Carbonox

Since when was there a Top Cat film coming out...? Only just saw a trailer now on TV but haven't seen a single thing about it on the internet or on TV prior. Plus a June 1st release? Immense bomba incoming.

GorillaJu

Looking more and more like AVB will be Liverpool manager, when you consider the options.

If we want a young guy who is looking to start a project, we need someone like him, Klopp or De Boer, but those other two have their projects and understandably don't want to leave them.

I wanted AVB when he was Porto's manager, but the insane release clause and the fact that he had his project already going there meant we probably couldn't prize him away (plus, we had Kenny, who was looking like the best choice at the time).

Chelsea's done the hard work for us, there.

I still think Rodgers is in the running, and that if FSG and their advisers thought he was the right man, they'd offer him the job and he'd take it. He did decline the interview, and rightly so - you wouldn't want public knowledge that you're looking for a job elsewhere. Especially if it turned out that FSG decided on another manager, he'd look pathetic crawling back to Swansea and would lose a lot of respect from his fans. He did the right thing in rejecting the interview - if our owners want him to manage us, they'll hire him.

Benitez's name is always going to be brought up, but I think his history with the club is working against him here. FSG will want a man who isn't already so involved with the fan base and so tied to the club - if things go sour and they're shown the door, the fans practically have a funeral (like we are now for Kenny). They'll want a clean slate.

Tony Evans can chew scenery all day if he wants, going on about how he'd rather go down with the Shankly tradition and the history of Liverpool than win with money. He forgets one of Shankly's most famous lines, though: "Liverpool exists to win trophies." I'd personally rather use history to build a foundation, then use it to drown my sorrows with. Sorry to say, but there's a way to win the league, and it's not through magical Scouser power.

Looking forward to the next few weeks. It's been said that we'll have our new staff within a fortnight, and the managerial position should follow soon after. The more time we have in the transfer market, the better.

Salazar

One of the Liverpool tea ladies should fax the Daily Mail a letterheaded sheet of paper with KAGAWAAAA on it.

Get some momentum.

dc89

Just going back to the league table of clubs brand worth in the other thread, I just saw on Twitter that City's rose by 77% in the last year alone. United's by 29% which is incredible when you think about it!

Just going back to the league table of clubs brand worth in the other thread, I just saw on Twitter that City's rose by 77% in the last year alone. United's by 29% which is incredible when you think about it!

You should ask for a raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom