• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

alstein

any advice vs aoi? i feel she is the ultimate newbie killer right now.

also, is there some secret contest going about how to create the ugliest character right now? i've met way too many zombie hags today.

Tenchi stance can be beaten by throws, circulars, or even half-circulars. Also I think attacks that leave the ground beat it.

I think the best advice vs Aoi is to learn high-damage stuff, and take risks, throw out your big throws/launchers in situations when you have small advantage. She guesses right you take good damage you guess right you do more damage. Aoi's very waifish so lightweight combos work. When folks do piddly stuff, Aoi's risky defensive style works best.

With Jeff, I'd be mixing up knees/backbreakers/half-circulars.

Dreamer RD

Had some very fun matches today with Gaffers mostly with Dreamer's RD Jacky. So fun. We exchanged way more msgs then fights though lol. But it's that cool interaction that makes online play worth it.
If you switch to Lion you gotta fight me man, please. I need experience vs that squatting dude. Can't hit him for life. Why he's got super evasive low mid movement? :(

Yeah man good games. I recorded some matches from yesterday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C83q4RIJk6M

PSN was acting weird lately. I got kicked from couple of matches and now I have "Poker Face" connectivity icon :|

It seems like KPPPK is one of your favorite strings, which is good and I use it a lot too. But you can do a lot of damage if you follow it up with something like 9K, 1P+K, 3K. You'll get about 80 damage every time you land it, and it'll save you a lot of work.

How to do this?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Most of whom are probably PSRental Service people.

In fact, a trophy whore in the trophy whore thead only played it for the achievements, for free... so...

You seem a bit bitter about both of those points, considering this isn't the first time you've made pretty much this exact post.

I would assume Sega gets paid when this is downloaded anyway, even if not the full amount, so it should be fine either way. And this is a game that the hardcore will keep playing until VF6, so it's not like competition will go away.

zlatko

Banned
Thinking of picking this up. Is the demo a good basis to use for purchasing it?

I suck at Tekken, so I'm unsure what my standing would be here.

BadWolf

Evasion attacks, throw system, and the fact I can't seem to back off from the rising attacks as easily all made me dislike it at first.

Really don't like this.

They have no invincibility or high priority though right? I'm pretty sure I stuffed both the mid and low versions multiple times from point blank range using Eileen's 9K.

AAK

Thinking of picking this up. Is the demo a good basis to use for purchasing it?

I suck at Tekken, so I'm unsure what my standing would be here.

Trust me from a Tekken fanatic, the game is fabulously designed so the barrier of entry isn't astronomical and there's a lot of depth layered on top. VERY different from Tekken which can get unforgiving with people that don't know the wakeup game. I guess it was a bit easier for me to get into coming from a Tekken background but at the price it is and enjoyment it's provided so far... go for it.

And I do see some people sad at the sales so far, As long as GAF keeps playing it, there's a bundle of fun to be had.

zlatko

Banned
Trust me from a Tekken fanatic, the game is fabulously designed so the barrier of entry isn't astronomical and there's a lot of depth layered on top. VERY different from Tekken which can get unforgiving with people that don't know the wakeup game. I guess it was a bit easier for me to get into coming from a Tekken background but at the price it is and enjoyment it's provided so far... go for it.

And I do see some people sad at the sales so far, As long as GAF keeps playing it, there's a bundle of fun to be had.

Can you find matches fast on ranked? How solid is the netcode?

Any major faults to this game, more so for its online portion?

Only big fault I can give is the online player match lobby setup. Requires 35 seconds in the lobby between matches with no way to speed up the timer.

soakrates

Evasion attacks, throw system, and the fact I can't seem to back off from the rising attacks as easily all made me dislike it at first.
Am I the only one who finds it easier to make rising kicks whiff now? Standing backdash got buffed and rising kicks can't be delayed anymore, so I find myself punishing them way more often than I used to.

GrayFoxPL

Uh different games but I think Zlatko maybe more overwhelmed by VF5 then Tekken. This game is super abusive and mash friendly on online noob level, and dick jab abuse seems to be to win tactic used by everyone now - hate that shit.

Then again it's only 15$ so at least try.

Deps

I'm pretty sure the XBL numbers are higher. The PSN numbers have been rising since release while XBL has been stuck at 7k since basically launch.

alstein

Really don't like this.

They have no invincibility or high priority though right? I'm pretty sure I stuffed both the mid and low versions multiple times from point blank range using Eileen's 9K.

I think this is how it works:

They do have invincibility until they can hit. If you have an attack coming out at the same frame , the higher damage attack will win. Equal damage will trade.

If you have something that sabakis/reversals the kick, that will also work.

Best option is to block and punish, I think they are -15 which is a guaranteed punish (might even be a mini-launch for some chars)

As for the sales, I think the game is selling about Skullgirls level, which might not be enough. No hard data on that, but I think 100k would be a respectable figure to keep the series alive, and Skullgirls isn't at 100k yet.

As for the trophy whores, their money is just as good as ours when it comes to SEGA. I don't care why people play this, just as long as they give SEGA money for it.

Tain

Am I the only one who finds it easier to make rising kicks whiff now? Standing backdash got buffed and rising kicks can't be delayed anymore, so I find myself punishing them way more often than I used to.

I keep trying to backdash rising attacks, yet I often don't make it quite out of range. I feel like I used to be able to backdash away more often.

Punishing a rising sweep with a jumping attack seems way easier than it used to be, though.

zlatko

Banned
Uh different games but I think Zlatko maybe more overwhelmed by VF5 then Tekken. This game is super abusive and mash friendly on online noob level, and dick jab abuse seems to be to win tactic used by everyone now - hate that shit.

Then again it's only 15$ so at least try.

As far as DLC customization goes, are they worth the investment as well?

GrayFoxPL

As far as DLC customization goes, are they worth the investment as well?

I bought just one for 5$. It's fun but limited by what you can wear on which costume and by "item points" limit. It's not huge creative freedom but works for fun creations.

And no one else will see the outfits if they didn't buy the pack. So it's mostly for your eyes only.

AAK

I don't want to critique it too much yet. I'll just say I was expecting things in this game that were in Tekken... but that would be premature of me since they're different games and just because they're 3D doesn't mean they need to have the exact same mechanics.

For example, you're completely invincible for wakeup attacks, I think that's ridiculous from a Tekken background when half your game is based on oki, but there's a logic that Sega had for designing it in this way and until I fully grasp it, I'm not going to mouth off completely yet.

So far, online play if fantastic. Being in Canada it's near impossible to get matches in my own region :(, but when I put it to worldwide I get matches easy.

But the fun I'm getting so far is by playing fellow people in lobbies :)

And customization is pretty much equivalent to Tekken 6.

GrayFoxPL

People really are getting player matches? They seem to not exist when I randomly search for them. Are there Gaf rooms?

Dreamer, we gotta get on this player stuff, I'd like to screw around with different characters.

Hmmm. Pretty big differences imo.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
People really are getting player matches? They seem to not exist when I randomly search for them. Are there Gaf rooms?

Dreamer, we gotta get on this player stuff, I'd like to screw around with different characters.

Hmmm. Pretty big differences imo.

I have been getting player matches no problem on xbox.

Skilletor

Ignorance speaking, but those numbers aren't good? What would be an acceptable amount?

Skullgirls, a brand new IP, sold 50k digital copies within the first week, I believe.

So...nawp, not too good if leaderboards are anything to go buy.

A bunch of ignorant people out there. :(

Bizazedo

For example, you're completely invincible for wakeup attacks, I think that's ridiculous from a Tekken background when half your game is based on oki, but there's a logic that Sega had for designing it in this way and until I fully grasp it, I'm not going to mouth off completely yet.
You're not invincible for all your wakeups, sadly. At least it seems that way.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Skullgirls, a brand new IP, sold 50k digital copies within the first week, I believe.

Sometimes I think Sega really did a lot to sink the VF brand hard with their neglect, after VF4 actually had good sales on PS2 (I thought?).

On the PS Blog last Tuesday, one random guy even commented "oh great, a re-release of an old shit fighting game". In my personal experience, I have seen a whole lot of dismissal of VF as being "a shit version of Tekken LOL" by American mainstreams who only ever played Tekken on Playstation as their sole fighting game.

My hope is that VF gets more exposure online thanks to the sheer prevalence of fighting game streams and events these days. Slowly build interest, etc.

Skilletor

Sometimes I think Sega really did a lot to sink the VF brand hard with their neglect, after VF4 actually had good sales on PS2 (I thought?).

On the PS Blog last Tuesday, one random guy even commented "oh great, a re-release of an old shit fighting game". In my personal experience, I have seen a whole lot of dismissal of VF as being "a shit version of Tekken LOL" by American mainstreams who only ever played Tekken on Playstation as their sole fighting game.

My hope is that VF gets more exposure online thanks to the sheer prevalence of fighting game streams and events these days. Slowly build interest, etc.

Yeah, seems to be the same attitude many people who only play Capcom fighters have toward KoF.

It's a shame, really. :(

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I don't want to critique it too much yet. I'll just say I was expecting things in this game that were in Tekken... but that would be premature of me since they're different games and just because they're 3D doesn't mean they need to have the exact same mechanics.

So far, online play if fantastic. Being in Canada it's near impossible to get matches in my own region :(, but when I put it to worldwide I get matches easy.

But the fun I'm getting so far is by playing fellow people in lobbies :)

Don't think anyone searches "same area" because everytime I do, I get nothig. I just search "worldwide" all the time.

soakrates

Game is free on psn+ so...

I'd say 20k sold.
But fighting games are usually slow burners unless it's Street fighter, Mahvel or Mortal Kombat 2, lol.
But when people say "leaderboards," do they mean the ranked match leaderboards or whatever? If so, I'm just wondering how accurate those are as a way of gauging sales of a game.

Xevren

Netcode and finding matches for ranked is pretty amazing on 360 for me. Only downside thus far is the lack of players, I tend to play against the same people often. I've really only had one laggy match.

Game is free on psn+ so...

I'd say 20k sold.
But fighting games are usually slow burners unless it's Street fighter, Mahvel or Mortal Kombat 2, lol.

True dat.

We also forget how many people bought it off the PS+ thing. I assume Sony gives them something if they are offering the game for free.

I didn't get a reply to my last post in this thread, so today I played a bunch of Ranked Matches. You guys were right, there are quite a few Jacky players in the higher ranks. There's a nice mix of other characters being used as well, which is a nice change of pace from The Brad Show in Player Matches.

I was hoping to come across some real killers online, but no such luck. I did have a lot of close matches, though, and the general skill level in Ranked is a bit higher than it is in Player Matches. But there are some really braindead players, too. Got my first piece of hate mail in Ranked, and it wasn't even impressive, just "you dick" in the subject line. I managed to get up to 3rd dan and I kind of want to get a title now but once I get one I'll probably drop Ranked altogether.

GGs to Shouta and PhoenixAzure, though! I had fun matches with you both. I'll add my PSN to the thread, too.

PSN: SousedLouse

If I remember correctly, someone in the Skullgirls OT pointed out that 50K digital copies was actually pretty good for a downloadable game, and much more so for a brand new series. So that might not be the best point of reference to work with. I'm not really big on sales, though, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't be surprised if VF5FS did bomb, though. The series isn't as popular anymore, and it seems that the downloadable release rubbed people the wrong way.

fernoca

Well, fuck it..ended double dipping, as after buying the "Brad pack" a few days ago...I was gift some Microsoft Points today and ended buying..both Customization bundles/packs. :p
Oh well, game's as awesome as always...but now I can slut the hell out of the male characters; which makes it better than "vanilla VF5". :p.
So, already customizing El Blaze, Goh, Kage, Akira so they only wear underwear, have tans and chest hair. :p

Thanks Sega! <3!

Xbox 360 version here and no problems so far with getting matches either Ranked or Player Match. Quite fast actually, considering there are around 7k people on the leaderboard. Fun too, especially Player Match as people seem to play for fun and practice move sets and combos more than in winning.

Special Sparring is better than I thought; with even more "ladders" to play. :)

The XBLA leaderboards for this game show about 7,000 people total :-\

I wonder if the PS3 version had better sales.

Yep. From what I've seen, fighters tend to sell better on PS3.

I think I am improving. Still trying to learn some larger, more lethal combos with Sarah and Akira.

Card Boy

Banned
I got 4 wins and 13 losses in Ranked.

I bound P+K to R1 and just spammed with Akira for the lols. I got no idea what im doing. People just go all out on me and always ring out me if i just guard. Last VF i played as VF2 on the PC many many years ago.

I only play ranked, usually local area, and at most I'm waiting 20-30 seconds to match up with someone. It usually only takes about 5 seconds. Worldwide it's always fast, 5 seconds or less, but get a lot of no bar matches, so I stick with local and have yet to have problems finding opponents. The netcode seems good (PSN) Either the match is very smooth with no perceptible lag, or it's just blatantly laggy, I assume from a bad ping.

Dachande

I'm a bit sad to say that I haven't seen a single customized character in ranked match yet, on PS3. Such a shame, seeing people's creations is one of the highlights for me. Makes me wonder how many people have just got this through PS+ and so not bothered buying the costume packs.

I had a really good match against a 9th Dan Sarah though, who was going to rank up while I'm still 1st Dan. They juuuust scraped through on the last round, but it was intense and damn close. Then he/she sent me a message thanking me for such a good match to rank up on. So nice!

Top Bottom