• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Downloaded Titles Can Be Transferred to Wii U

Fans who have purchased libraries of old games will not lose their downloaded game titles when they decide to upgrade to the new system, a decision in line with how Apple’s iTunes store operates regarding digital downloads of game apps. Moffitt said that there will be a bit of restructuring of how their login IDs/accounts work with the Wii U; he told us, “You will have an individual account based system. Each member of your family might have their own account.”

Each player will have saved gaming preferences, but it is unclear how Wii Virtual Console collections will be assigned to an account for ownership transfers on the Wii U eShop at this point. If this backwards compatibility continues through the next generation of systems, fans may never have to repurchase old games again. That may change if games are reintroduced in high definition (Wii, unlike its competitors, produced standard-definition video), but Nintendo has said nothing on that yet.

Source.

Well this does look promising for the eShop. Nintendo finally understands online, and I'm happy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well it happened with DSi and 3DS so, an expected, but welcome confirmation.

leroidys

THANK GOD. I was expecting it, but you can't take anything for granted with nintendo. Will resume purchasing games on Wii VC.

Good news.

I hope to hear that there will be some kind of unified Nintendo Network account that 3DS/Wii U owners can hook into after transferring their games from legacy systems so that DD software is then properly tied to an account.

Jackano

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.

VegaNine

Do we know how the Wii U will handle the aspect ratio of Virtual Console games? I know that the Upad itself is 16:9, but I'll throw a fit I can't adjust the games. I hate having to change the Wii's system settings just to play an old game unstretched.

Also, do we know if the Wii remote will be capable of turning on the Wii U? I prefer the remote when playing NES/TG-16 games, and would appreciate not having to give that up whenever I want to do it all with one controller.

Seik

Banned
I was wondering about this when watching the conference, that's very good news.

It's 'how' they're going to do it I'm interested to hear. Whatever, good to hear!

Christine

Does this mean that all the current VC titles will be available from day one then?

I suppose if they aren't you can just use an OG Wii to buy them -_-

I hate having to change the Wii's system settings just to play an old game unstretched.

You don't have to do this. I think older firmwares would letterbox VC games when the Wii is in 16:9 mode but the current ones definitely don't, so it's just the TV settings that need to be changed.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Good!

BUT

If they don't transfer save data as well, I will murder someone. The DSi -> 3DS transfer left save data behind. Presumably because they figure it's a method someone could get hacked code on the system? FIGURE IT OUT, Nintendo, I aint transferring SHIT off the Wii without my saves. Same goes for playing any Wii disc games on the Wii U, need dat save data!!

zroid

Banned
Fuck. Yes.

Never doubted you, Nintendo.
well, maybe just briefly...

Good!

BUT

If they don't transfer save data as well, I will murder someone. The DSi -> 3DS transfer left save data behind. Presumably because they figure it's a method someone could get hacked code on the system? FIGURE IT OUT, Nintendo, I aint transferring SHIT off the Wii without my saves. Same goes for playing any Wii disc games on the Wii U, need dat save data!!

It's been a while since I've had to manage Wii save files, so I might be remembering wrong, but you can transfer those via SD card, right? Even if it doesn't go automatically in a system transfer, I don't see why they wouldn't be copyable manually.

Good!

BUT

Can't you attach game save to the controller somehow? Maybe that will still work to move saves over.

jarosh

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.
Most countries do not have Club Nintendo.

iamblades

Kind of sad that this wasn't a given.

I'm almost willing to bet that this won't be the case for the next playstation given the architecture changes that have been rumored. I don't know if they can get away with that now that Nintendo has set the precedent though..

Satchel

Banned
Wii U almost redeemed.

Now just confirm my Wii saves files will come across on an SD card to play on Wii U and I'm sold.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thank God. Now, to transfer the games from my old crappy launch Wii with the busted disc drive, or my new Wii with almost no downloaded games... Hmm, launch Wii. For the non-digital titles I'll sitck with my new Wii since I got it homebrew'd.

Christine

It's been a while since I've had to manage Wii save files, so I might be remembering wrong, but you can transfer those via SD card, right? Even if it doesn't go automatically in a system transfer, I don't see why they wouldn't be copyable manually.

Many VC saves, perhaps even the majority, are console locked at present.

Top Bottom